The Blossom pales in comparison

The Blossom pales in comparison

A Story by gsparky22
"

Based on my introduction to balanced living and Zen through Dialectical Behavioral Therapy.

"

 

“Learning appears as a process of remembering. The soul, before its incarnation in the body, was in the realm of Ideas. There it saw things the way they truly are, rather than the pale shadows we experience on earth. By a process of questioning, the soul can be brought to remember the ideas in their true form, thus bringing wisdom.”

Socrates favored truth as the highest value. The discovery of truth as the determinant for one's actions was the greater good, and each person should, above all else, seek truth to guide one's life. To seek truth in life is to seek true reality.

The word dialectic originates from ancient Greece. Dialectic was made popular by Plato in the Socratic Dialogues. The dialectical method is dialogue between two or more people who wish to establish the truth of two positions. It involves a three level process; position, counter position and the integration or “synthesis” of the two positions.

True reality is the essence of enlightenment which brings peace and calm to the soul.

Modern philosophy finds a place for everything human and natural in a dialectical scheme that repeatedly swings to higher and richer synthesis of truth and change. G. Hegel applied a philosophy of dialectics to the processes of human thought and nature.

Dr. Marsha Linehan states the dialectical perspective on the nature of reality and human behavior share three primary characteristics.

(1)Each position holds opposites.

(2)All positions are integrated in the whole and are only effective as they function within the                        
     whole.

(3)Processes of integration allow for continuous change in the content and structure of the whole.

The following passage was influenced by Thich Nhat Hanh. I try to illustrate the laws of the nature of reality as Linehan applies them.

Green spirals spring from the earth
Life’s refreshing process of recovery
The blossom pales in comparison
Mere evidence of a beautiful synthesis
Sun and rain, earth and atmosphere

The first two lines symbolize change and process. Life is continuously revolving, although not in a circle, repeating itself and following the same path. Instead life revolves following the path of a spiral.

The blossom symbolizes the content and structure of the flower, or the part we see as beautiful or desirable.

In this passage, the blossom also symbolizes the content and structure of our lives, or what we envision for ourselves, seen as beautiful or desirable. What could have been, if only I would have done things differently. Or what will be when I get through this. Or what will be when I accomplish that.

Although I have separated nature (the flower) from human thought and behavior when explaining the symbolism of “blossom” the laws of the nature of reality apply to both the same.

As the blossom serves an effective function within the whole (reproduction), our thoughts of the past and future should effectively function in the whole process of our lives.

(1)Each position holds opposites.

For example; our thoughts of the past and future can be used for learning and motivation or they could culminate into depression and anxiety.

(2)All positions are integrated in the whole and are only effective as they function within the                        
     whole.

When we apply time and energy to dissatisfaction with the content and structure of our lives in the form of depression over the past and anxiety about the future we fail to apply that time and energy into change and process in the form of behavior now that can effectively function in the process of our lives.

(3)Processes of integration allow for continuous change in the content and structure of the whole.

When we effectively integrate our past and present experiences to function within the whole, we allow for the needed change in the content and structure of our lives.

By a process of Dialectical synthesis we can cultivate wisdom. The discovery of truth in life from a Dialectical perspective includes three levels.

The person you were yesterday
The person you are today and the effective
Integration of the two.

I use a symbol of beauty, the “blossom” so that when I say “pales in comparison to” this will provoke thought and draw attention to the point. The dialectical world view stresses  positions of change and process over positions of content and structure.

Positions of  change and process function to simultaneously develop and destroy positions of content and structure.

In other words; “ Life is what happens to us while we are planning our lives”

 

Just as nature effectively integrates positions of change, such as the four seasons, symbolized in the passage by spring and recovery. Or just as positions of process such as photosynthesis, symbolized by the color Green and the expression refreshing process referring to the production of oxygen during this synthesis of life.

Or just as the seeming opposing positions of  Sun and rain and earth and atmosphere we to must learn to effectively integrate positions within the whole.

For instance; worry is a common emotion, but when we attach judgment to the emotion we may begin to culminate depression and anxiety.

Integrating positions of opposing thought is referred to as Dialectical thinking. Let’s apply this process to the example used earlier about our thoughts of the past and future.

Depression has been connected to worrying about the past. Anxiety has been connecting to worrying about the future.

If we integrate the positions of past and future through a Dialectical method of seeking a common position of the two, we discover the only common position (literally and figuratively) is the position of now. Now is positioned after the past and before the future.

The position of now is free of the depression connected to the past and free of the anxiety connected to the future.  Live in the Now.

Dialectical thinking involving our thoughts of the past and future would include the behavior of Mindfulness to  Living in the Now”.

Can you name one problem you have right now that is not connected to the past or future?

Practice Living in the Now.

Practice accepting the person you are while being mindful of process and change.

Practice appreciating the beauty in the person you were yesterday as integrated with the beauty in the person you are today.

The Blossom pales in comparison.

© 2013 gsparky22


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on March 23, 2013
Last Updated on March 23, 2013
Tags: philosophy, psychology, healing, zen, growth, recovery

Author

gsparky22
gsparky22

About
I enjoy the therapeutic aspects of reading and writing. more..

Writing