Me against love conventions

Me against love conventions

A Story by Guys and Other Drugs

We humans spend about 10 or 20 years looking for love. Love, that crazy fever that can rock the world and make you act stupidly. However, how much do we really need love? We are born in a family that we don't necessarily like, we're supposed to love them. We become teenagers and we're supposed to look for a "mate" to love. And then we're supposed to grow up and have a new family and love them. But... what if I don't want to? I mean, what if we don't need to?  Or at least, do we need to love someone every single moment of our lives? I've been wondering the same question ever since I realized that I'm happy, and really single! Maybe loving someone is not what you need to be happy. Your dreams coming true makes you happy. Traveling makes you happy. Having sex, amazing single sex, makes you happy. 


Everyone say love is like a drug. Don't they all teach us in high school that drugs are "bad"? When you love, you let that person to be part of you. So, what happens when it ends? Let's think of marriage, 1 out of 2 marriages end up in divorce. Let's do some maths, how many broken hearts do we get out of it? How much money do the other half of that "happily married" people spend on couple therapy? Honestly, I would use that money to travel and go wherever I want - not we want. And sex... oh, everyone's guilty pleasure! Do you know the difference between love and sex? Well, let's me put it this way; sex is like that easy game you play at the carnival, everyone "win" and get a little present that take home and maybe never use, in the other hand love is that really hard game that you play over and over again, spend a lot of time and effort trying to win, but only 1% of all the players win, so does it worth it? Probably it does, probably it doesn't. Who knows? I just blame those Hollywood films for putting fairy tales ideas in our head.


I'm not saying I won't love it the time comes. All I'm saying is screw the love conventions. When it comes to love is all black and white and I say f**k that! There are too many colors to choose when it comes to love. Sometimes you just don't love someone anymore and it doesn't make you an awful person, what makes you that is not being honest about it because you think you gotta follow that charade you call a relationship 'cause is the right s**t to do. So... screw love, if it ever comes around, let's enjoy it while it lasts, becuase the odds show us that it's so not the best investment. It's like a drug; fun at the begging, and after a while you need rehab and after it you realize you can live without it and still be happy alone .

© 2012 Guys and Other Drugs


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an interesting debate topic...I enjoyed your viewpoint and to some extent I do agree. But I think that it is different for different groups of people. Some need that constant bond, some ARE brainwashed by society and will never feel complete without their "other half".

And what is "love" anyway? A cocktail of hormones? A real intangible force at the very source of creation? A human construct?

Will this story continue?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is an interesting debate topic...I enjoyed your viewpoint and to some extent I do agree. But I think that it is different for different groups of people. Some need that constant bond, some ARE brainwashed by society and will never feel complete without their "other half".

And what is "love" anyway? A cocktail of hormones? A real intangible force at the very source of creation? A human construct?

Will this story continue?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Added on January 29, 2012
Last Updated on January 29, 2012

Author

Guys and Other Drugs
Guys and Other Drugs

EAU CLAIRE, WI



About
We're two friends in our early twenties writing things you'll love. more..

Writing