A homosexual Disney Prince or Princess??

A homosexual Disney Prince or Princess??

A Story by Guys and Other Drugs
"

A reality check, slap in the face.

"
I have been described as an easy going, open minded person and I pride myself in it. This week, however, something happened that made me question just how open my mind really is! 

Some of you may know that the other author of this blog is gay, and I think I love him even more for it! I have never had a problem with homosexuality, that's just how I was raised. I simply do not care what you do in your personal life, you fall in love with a person not a gender!
( While we are on the subject I think people who oppose gay marriage should take a running jump off a cliff, you're not the person getting married so why the hell does it matter to you? Are you paying for it? No. Are you participating in it? No. So back the hell off and deal with real issues like poverty and unemployment. )

Anyway... my point is, even with my so called open mind, I had a real test of character this week. 

The idea of gay Disney princes and princesses was brought up in conversation, and I was immediately taken aback. I just couldn't picture a Disney movie in which both the leads were of the same gender. Immediately I saw Jasmine as a man or Prince charming as a woman and I felt light headed.

Why did the idea make me so uneasy? Seriously. Why when the movie is played by actors in the flesh does it not bother me, but the idea of cartoon homosexuality does. 
In part I think it takes me back to my childhood when I dreamed of being a Disney princess. I yearned for my prince charming to come and sweep me off my feet and I think I still do. For one selfish moment, I thought about how I would feel if I was a child and it wasn't my prince charming coming to save me but a princess charming. 

After a few days however, it hit me. Gay leads in a Disney film would do wonders for gay rights in the future. There are a million and one Disney films to give children unrealistic ideas of straight marriage and relationships. A film with 2 princes or princesses would just make children's acceptance of homosexuality happen sooner.  
It is a lot easier to accept something we are used to than something which is alien to us. 

Now I have reached my epiphany I urge people to think about it. If Disney did gay, not only would they be THE coolest gay couple ever but it would help people to come to terms with something that they themselves may not be exposed to until later in life, making it easier for them to misunderstand it. After all being gay is as normal as being straight and its about time people showed that! 

© 2012 Guys and Other Drugs


Author's Note

Guys and Other Drugs
Are there any ideas for future posts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The way I see things is that If persons are allowed to speak and write in favour of LGBTQ people, they should also be allowed to express their opinions against them. That's the only fair way to do it.

Posted 2 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1454 Views
1 Review
Added on February 27, 2012
Last Updated on February 27, 2012
Tags: #homosexual #dating #love #disne

Author

Guys and Other Drugs
Guys and Other Drugs

EAU CLAIRE, WI



About
We're two friends in our early twenties writing things you'll love. more..

Writing