Toxicity

Toxicity

A Story by Guys and Other Drugs
"

Those Friends

"
Toxic Friendships...
...We all have them. Those people who we keep in our lives more because of a sense of duty or obligation than true friendship. While both males and females have different kinds of friendships, we can all relate to having someone in their life that maybe shouldn't be there anymore. 
In my case I have come to see that I have taken crap from people for far too long and it's time to break away from these people, not to be selfish but for the sake of my mental health. Sometimes these are people who we have to have in our lives for some reason, like a roommate or teacher but it doesn't mean we should keep these people in our lives. 
It has taken a trip across the globe for me to realise the damage that these kinds of relationships can have. People spend so many years of their life trying to please other people, it's human nature to want to keep the harmony. However, when this harmony comes at the price of your happiness, where should we draw the line?
It's never as simple as just cutting ties with people, especially if you have friends in common but when you live with a person there is a whole new dimension. We can hope and pray that the friend ship will reach the waning stage (Rawlins) but what if it doesn't on both sides? If one person cannot stand being in a friendship anymore, how do we end it without drama? 
I hate being part of drama, I'm fine with people bringing their problems to me and helping them with them but I simply cannot stand being part of a big drama. I don't see the point. I am just not a stereotypical female in a lot of ways, I like to be chill and relaxed and have no time for over analysing every detail of my life, so what do people like me do?
Simply put there is no one solution. However, in my life I have decided that sometimes the things left unsaid are the most important words you can ever use. Unless there is a reason where I have to see them or maintain harmony, then I am choosing not to spend time with those individuals. Life is short and we shouldn't waste time seeing people that cause us pain. 
Happiness is the fuel of life, laugh, smile and do your best to seize the day, toxic friendships aren't worth it. 

© 2012 Guys and Other Drugs


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on March 16, 2012
Last Updated on March 16, 2012
Tags: #friendship #selfish #endings #h

Author

Guys and Other Drugs
Guys and Other Drugs

EAU CLAIRE, WI



About
We're two friends in our early twenties writing things you'll love. more..

Writing