Quick and Easy Microwave Mashed Potato Recipe

Quick and Easy Microwave Mashed Potato Recipe

A Story by hamnaabobaker
"

The microwave isn't all about reheating leftovers or thawing frozen dinners until they're fully cooked.

"

The microwave isn't all about reheating leftovers or thawing frozen dinners until they're fully cooked. You can cook your own homemade dish using a microwave oven and enjoy that sumptuous meal in time for breakfast, lunch or dinner. One of the easiest and most popular recipes to prepare using a microwave is mashed potatoes.


Here's a simple microwave mashed potato recipe that yields around 4 to 6 servings. Unlike the classic mashed potato for Thanksgiving that usually takes up to 40 minutes to finish, this quick and easy recipe only requires 16 to 18 minutes in total.

 

What You Need:

 

4 medium-sized Russet potatoes, or substitute them with Yukon Gold or White varieties

A pitcher of milk (whole for a tastier mix or skim for a healthier option)

A bowl of melted plain butter or fat-free spread

A bowl of fat-free plain yoghurt or sour cream

Dashes of salt and pepper to adjust the taste

 

What to Do:

 

1. Make sure the potatoes are thoroughly clean before putting them into the microwave. Use a vegetable brush as you gently scrub the dirt from the tuber. You may peel off the skin - if that's how you prefer them - before putting the taters into the bowl or dish. Just make sure you pare the potato as thinly as possible. Most of the nutrients are found close to the skin.

 

2. Cover the glass or ceramic bowl with a BPA-free microwave cover from Monika's Marketplace rather than a piece of plastic wrap that has a few punched out holes on top. You may also use a deep-bottom casserole dish for this recipe.

 

3. Set microwave to HIGH and let the potatoes stay there for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they've completely softened down to their cores. You'll know they are done once you stick them with a fork and it penetrates the spuds so easily. Use potholders or silicone oven mitts when you remove the potatoes from the microwave oven to protect your hands and forearms from the burning heat.

 

4. Set the bowl or dish on the counter and let it cool down. The potatoes will continue to cook for another two minutes or so if you allow the BPA-free microwave cover to remain closed. But, you can release the steam by opening the vent on top.

 

5. Mashing the thin skin along with the soft, starchy flesh of the tuber keeps the essential nutrients intact and provides greater health benefits. Use a masher or ricer to break down your potatoes into mush. Do this repeatedly until there are no lumps left in the bowl or dish.

 

Some people like to use an electric mixer for this, but they know when to stop before everything turns into an ugly gooey mess. Sometimes, it's more enjoyable to eat mashed potatoes with a very fine and fluffy texture. Play it safe though, and keep the starch molecules in the taters intact for a better consistency.

 

6. Add the rest of the wet ingredients, namely the milk, sour cream or yoghurt, and melted butter. Mix thoroughly. Sprinkle a pinch or two of salt and pepper to adjust the flavor.

 

Some people like to add vegetables, such as tomatoes and mild green chiles for a Latin flavor. They top their mashed potatoes with grated cheese and serve them in individual bowls as side dishes for the meat and veggies.

© 2014 hamnaabobaker


Author's Note

hamnaabobaker
The microwave isn't all about reheating leftovers or thawing frozen dinners until they're fully cooked.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on August 14, 2014
Last Updated on August 15, 2014
Tags: Cooking, Mashed Potato Recipe

Author

hamnaabobaker
hamnaabobaker

Honesdale, PA



About
Gary has been an author since age six when he wrote his first sentence, 'The man was on the ship' in Mrs. Dunn's first grade class at PS 105, Bronx NY in September 1973. By day, he currently resides .. more..

Writing