Chinese For Three

Chinese For Three

A Poem by Parachutes and Sunshine
"

This was something I realized when we suddenly only ordered our chinese food for three people.

"
Everything from the big things to the small, seemingly insigificant things,
they remind me of how things will never be the same.
But it's not supposed to be this way. 
I never thought it would have to be.
Never wanted it to be.

You can't call this your home anymore.
You won't call it that any time soon.

All of your your belongings slowly disappearing as well.
Most of the things I had become so comfortable with,
are no longer near me,
are not available to me for the comfort of the sameness.

The sadness, the stress, the frustration, is so apparent,
but covered up by the phony smiles.
The smiles that make me want to scream.
You're not okay with this,
I'm not okay with this,
no one's okay.

Our livess are different now.
And they will always be.
There's no longer four.
No need to buy for four.
We order for three now,
Chinese food for three.

© 2014 Parachutes and Sunshine


Author's Note

Parachutes and Sunshine
I need improvements, I don't know what details to add. Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Maybe...they remind me of how IT will never be the same..The 'things' are a bit claustrophobic

THOSE THAT I had become so comfortable with......might be another way of ridding us of THINGS

A very well thought out poem though, with a clever title....Sometimes all it takes is a bolt from the blue and before you know it you have composed several verses...This was inspirational

Posted 10 Years Ago


This was decent, but I think you could make it better too.

The word "things" is way overused in this poem imo. Substituting synonyms, or rearranging lines so that you can avoid putting in a word like it altogether would help a lot.

This is obviously free verse, but there are a couple lines that have so many syllables relative to the rest that they unbalance the whole poem: check out the 1st lines of the first and fourth stanzas and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The last 2 stanzas are the stand out ones, I think, and overall it's a nice elegiac poem :) Instead of adding details, I would focus on excising some, and rearranging a few of the verses so that it flows a bit better.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MAC
i like it the way it is....it is flowing from you and poetry is nothing but an extension of the poet. excellent write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Further to your request for improvements, I provide the following critique of questionable authority from a mind with too much ego and not enough experience of my own.

I get what you're trying to say here, someone gone and no longer there. I think what you need to focus on is developing the relationship with that person a bit more. Talk about the little things that you miss, perhaps utilizing them in an ironic light. When it comes to the disappearance, I'd try and put more emotion into the fade-out - you need to demonstrate more the heartbroken situation. The last stanza is powerful, but a touch repetitive. I'd rework it a bit but keep the same idea and the last line is quite catching and a nice image of a family meal broken.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very good job. Love it

Posted 12 Years Ago


There's a wonderful drift of words, of needing and missing someone you care about .. and you've used the 'Chinese for three' very cleverly, many phrases lie finely on the 'page'.

However, there are a too many 'things', too many 'okay' .. could you perhaps find the occasional alternative ..

Will return to read more. Good luck with your writing, it has an amazing amount of potential .. perhaps I should ask for your autograph now, 'fore you become famous. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is awesome i love this! good job! mind checking out some of my work? thanks :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


The first two stanzas had me mesmerized, then I got to the tv remote part and woke up. But you have strong lyrical frameworks HM and your handle on this site is adorable!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 18, 2011
Last Updated on June 11, 2014

Author

Parachutes and Sunshine
Parachutes and Sunshine

Grand Rapids, MI



About
Hannah Michelle 18 Grand Rapids, MI more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..