Letter to my Future Wife

Letter to my Future Wife

A Poem by harlem_knight

Dear future wife, you don’t know me yet but every night I pray for you
I wonder how your doing and If you think about me too
Today my aunt asked about you and if I was ready.
I told her no.
Wait let me explain
Cause see there has been many before you whose feelings I’ve nurtured and watered like the rarest rose I’ve ever encountered.
I’ve cultivated seeds and removed thorns with my bare fingers that created scars not caused by you and watched these roses bloom and blossom into pure beauty and then wither when winter came
There has been rough winters where I prayed for jackets and shovels and less snow so that I can do this work without becoming numb to it
There have been droughts where I used my own sweat and tears to water gardens not realizing that salt isn’t a good season for love.
I’ve sang bitter sweet songs to roses hoping they would bend in my direction
I’ve even been so angered that I dug up soil for the root of problems I didn’t create.
It’s safe to say at 25, I am not ready
Lately i find myself holding my breath when the convo gets on love because the only thing I love is sleeping to avoid problems.
I’m fearful of new years resolutions because change is as strange as death and I’m so terrified to die before I find something to live for.
Dear future wife, your not just some name on a list but if you were yours would be in braille because this is the first time I’ve ever felt.
No your not a tally or another notch on my belt YOU are the reason why that belt stays on my waist and doesn’t find itself around my neck.
yes there have been roses before you dear, beautiful ones, in all colors and unique as can be.
But not one has ever touched my soul with delicate fingers knowing how fragile i truely am.
Your hands must be of God I swear.
Dear future wife
Your smell lingers like memories I have yet to experience
And the difference between me and them is that I know I can’t own you.
So no you are not a trophy, you are not my property, there’s is no way I can poses something as awesome as you and I’m not looking too.
I would much rather be the person you talk to about how you feel at 2 pm on Sunday afternoons when you could be talking to anybody else. Or the reason you smiled after work because I told you I have a surprise for you even though you hate surprises. But it’s me.
Or the person you cry to when the ugliness of this world does nothing to complement your beauty I will be there, arms out, no words, just ready to embrace you.
See future wife I would much rather experience you, day in and day out
And right now I’m too full of myself to have room for anybody.
At night though, when I close my eyes before I rest, I see us, and I think,
Dammm you have no idea.
And the truth is. You don’t

© 2015 harlem_knight


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed your story, it was worth every second spent reading it. But there are a couple of grammatical mix ups, "has" in place of "have", "poses" for "possess", "your" for "you're". Great write-up all the same.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Oh wow this piece is so lovely. I don't even really know where to start. I love your style of writing and whoever your future wife will be, I'm sure she will feel nothing but love.
I really love the sentence "change is as strange as death and I’m so terrified to die before I find something to live for". It's so powerful. Thank you for sharing this piece. I enjoying reading it.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 15, 2015
Last Updated on December 15, 2015