Why the Agenda is Your Fault

Why the Agenda is Your Fault

A Story by hawkharris
"

Taking responsibility for the news.

"
After the third hour of pope-related news on CNN today, I thought to myself, "I wish you wouldn't do this to me..." 

I was the victim of what many strategic communicators call Agenda-setting Theory (Lippman, 1922). It means that while mass media can't always tell us what to think, they can easily control what we think about.

By way of a three-hour religious broadcast, CNN had made me, an atheist in Florida, perseverate over Catholics in Italy. I respect all religions and their traditions. It's just that, like most people, I have limited time to invest in learning about current events; I want to focus on issues strongly linked to my community and my interests.

But here's the secret of agenda-setting: it's your fault. Most of us have access to dozens of news channels and millions of Web-based news sources. Rather than complaining about CNN, I should exercise my right, as a critical consumer, to choose alternatives. 

If I want to learn about technology, I'll visit Hacker News or Ars Technica. If I want to learn about writing, I'll head over to CowBird or WritersCafe. 

You get the idea, and it may seem like common sense to people well versed in Internet culture, but the point bears repeating; folks continue to complain about how mass media are hopelessly out of touch with important issues in their communities. 

In fact, mass media are to information what chain supermarkets are to food: the processed junk is displayed most prominently, and the good stuff is splayed along on the outskirts; sometimes you have to go out of your way to maintain a healthy media diet. 

© 2013 hawkharris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The power to change the channel. Everyone knows that's how mainstream works, to find a overhyped news story to take your attention off of the issues that really matter. Though I disagree on some level with you, but yes I agree the coverage of the pope is undone.

Posted 11 Years Ago


hawkharris

11 Years Ago

"Everyone knows that's how mainstream works, to find a overhyped news story to take your attention o.. read more
A. H. Pinley

11 Years Ago

I would like to see what that figure is today on how the viewing public see the media bias and inacc.. read more
Well, I guess some people are idiots in regards to not being able to decide for themselves. Weak-willed, is what they are.

Posted 11 Years Ago


hawkharris

11 Years Ago

"Weak-willed, is what they are."

Anna, you’re comment accuses almost everyone in the .. read more
char

11 Years Ago

So, maybe they will continue to listen to media, even though they call it "biased" and "inaccurate"... read more
C.N. Romano

11 Years Ago

* Whoops, I meant to write "your" instead of "you're" in my last comment; that's embarrassing.
read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 14, 2013
Last Updated on March 14, 2013
Tags: news, media, social media, public relations

Author

hawkharris
hawkharris

About
I worked as a features writer for a newspaper and as a science writer for MIT. Now I'm doing software development, but I still enjoy writing as a pastime. more..