A Shaving Experience

A Shaving Experience

A Story by haydengt63
"

Shaving in India is a must

"

Every third day of my adult life, I am punished for being a man who does not possess the facial hair that evokes a look of desire, or stares of envy or even the self indulged roughness-of-touch that accompanies a thick stubble.  Yes, I have a thinnish growth.  It never managed or manages to spread to the 'norm' fullness of my face.  Even with my mongrel-mix of blood (including Spanish, East Asian and Italian) my beard, and its predecessor the stubble, never really cuts the grade.  This has not been an over-riding or disabling issue in my life but I thought it worth mentioning considering the title of this little ditty.

As many who read my blog know, I have been travelling to india for some time now and indeed I feel certain that I will call it home in some new chapter of my life.  My love for the country and the people has grown expeditiously with each visit.  It grows thick and considerable like the beautiful thick facial hair of the many sub-continental men I daily fall secretly in love with.  


During this last 4 month working visit, I truly felt a sense of living in Mumbai.  I rented my own apartment, I established healthy relations with local vendors.  I commuted using trains and buses instead of relying on ricks and taxis.  I even embraced a few 'low' days which signified that I truly was at home.  Most of my friends from Mumbai were out of town for the duration of this visit, so I was truly independent, and with a business visa in my satchel I was able to legally operate as a wallah myself.   In my eyes, I was the closest to being a local than I had ever been in previous trips.

Daily routines of everyday living are important to me. The pattens created from utilising 'my' banya, 'my' cafe, 'my' dhobi, and other daily or weekly routines are symbols of belonging.  In a vocation (theatre) that is ever-changing and has its basis in un-planned discovery, shapeless experimentation, improvised time, and daring to get it wrong, it is the simple yet important tasks of the everyday that keep me sane and this latest adventure of living in Mumbai gave way to opportunities to establish these much-needed mandalas.

From my apartment in Bandra West (not as glamorous as it sounds) I could stroll to Bizarre Road for all my groceries and domestic needs.  I could get cigarettes and Pani from a local banya whose occupant would daily correct my very thoda Hindi,  I could buy Chaat from the street and have joyous chats to the wallah, I could walk down the street, groceries in hand, and say good morning to my neighbours; Catholic, Muslim, Hindi, Sikh, Jain and even a Canadian.  I sat on the road at 3am drinking whisky with a couple of neighbours with the lads from a visiting circus, I watched and cheered the mayhemic local cricket team each Sunday, I stopped to say g'day - every day - to a most delightful watchman who smiled and gleamed at me through his boisterous and beautiful moustache on my daily my walk to my bus stop.

This was my home for a few months when I had not had a home since August 2014.  It offered the familiars that I was craving and it comforted my desire for feeling a part of something as humble as a community.

One of the tasks, or indulgences,  that I came to enjoy and savour every few days was my shave.  I am not talking about a shave of 'Aussie Aussie Gillette' cheapness, scraping and slicing over my thin stubble.  Nor am I talking about triple bladed indulgences that come in packets of three;  These are now completely, and abhorrently, substandard ideas of shaving for me.

I have now experienced the joy of BEING shaved as part of my weekly routine.

The salon I frequented for my haircuts and my shave is called 'Star Salon'.   I never once experienced it empty, even at 8.30 am.  Up to 10 talented and smooth faced men of differing ages serviced an ongoing supply of male clientele of all ages who came for their shaves, their haircuts, hair colouring, massages, facials and any other service that, in the western world, would be seen as a beautification process relegated to the  'are they gay?' community.  But in Mumbai, it is an essential service that is as natural for a BLOKE as going to the hardware store to buy a screwdriver.

By my fourth visit to Star, I had experienced about 8 of the master craftsmen of the Salon.  I soon recognised that all the employees specialised in something particular but all were proficient in each service this man-cave of the hirsute could supply.  I had become accustomed to the particular smells of the lotions and perfumes, the aroma of the towels dried in the sun, the body-scents from the hands of the barbers, heightened by my eyes-closed awareness.  The smells of a profession.

Waiting for a chair to occupy has rarely been more than a 10 minute chore at the Star and if perchance it is a longer wait, watching this factory of follicles in full swing is a pleasurable experience.
 

The Boss gives a small but precise nod and i'm directed to my seat.  Mounting my leather chair I perform my usual routine of turning my phone to silent, discarding my much needed glasses and and arranging my limbs to find their comfort zone.

I search the blue-paper laminated menu of the delights that the Star Salon offered, which I did dutifully each and every visit, just in case I have missed some unique service.  Cuts, trims, colours, massages, lotus facials and........SHAVE.  The shave is all I was here for today.   I had been in this very chair having my hair cut just 5 days ago.

Who would lay hands on me today to slice away my three day growth as it were?  Who would wield with swordsman-like skill the razor sharp razor's blade to bring my pink western skin back to the surface?
 

My favourite specialist of the craft of shaving is Rahul.  Rahul is approximately 30 years old, slightly pointed and a man whose hands were the smoothest and strongest I have ever felt manipulate my face.  And yes, with his usual gleam of 'who's next?', Rahul steps forward.
 

On his short journey to my chair, a much younger guy, I assume the apprentice, hands Rahul a fresh towel.  Rahul looks at me with intimate understanding of my facial contours as he approaches.

I began to lift my hand to point to the mole on my top lip so's to remind Rahul to take care not to knick its head during his operation but he smiles his pointed face smile at me before my thought turns into words and he says 'Yes'.  Never before had a felt so safe - considering Rahul was about to pick up an instrument that could slice my throat cleaner than the edge of paper slicing its way into webbing between fingers.

A jolt of mechanics sends the chair to a prescribed angle that allows me to lie back, exposing my throat.  This is the settling moment of the process where I close my eyes;  My sight is no longer a part of the experience. I now rely on smells, touch and sounds.   I consciously resist the urge, each and every time I am shaved professionally, to open my eyes to check on my master.  I trust them, I hand over my face and throat to them willingly.  It is their show and I will do nothing to judge their actions but indulge the experience.

The sounds of a stationary body moving in space are quite beautiful. Rahul's arms and hands, waist and torso and thighs were in motion gathering and rearranging the tools he would require to perform his craft,  bare feet firmly placed on the clean, clean salon's floor.  Gentle but solid vibrations of flesh through air fill my ears as he prepares to perform an operation that is second nature to him but not quite owned by myself, the client.  I allow my imagination to enter its first stage of indulgence and my armour of the day to begin to loosen its straps.
 

Waiting in unique-to-this-experience anticipation of the first sensation of the process, my heart rate noticeably increases.  It's like the feeling from a distant memory of beginning a primary school race or, from more awakened memories, a first kiss from someone you desire.  The 30 second to a minute wait is at once excruciating and blissful.

The actual shave; its warm towels, its fine-spay water,  the texture of the cream as its masterfully spread with fingers, the blade gliding over my skin as it slices individual hairs, the sensuality of a thumb pressing into my flesh to cross check the blades work,  the eradication of stubble, this is what this musing was going to investigate.
 

I have changed my mind.
 

It's something I will leave as a mystery until another day...perhaps.
 

It's something that is a part of MY India as a ferangi.

It's something I would wish everyone of my friends to experience one day.

Breath, relax, smell, sensate.

© 2016 haydengt63


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Just absolutely loved this piece. You took me to Mumbai and this was a new experience for me. My life has been enriched by reading your story....I walk away from it a deeper, more interesting person, and that is what I look for when I select my readings. My favorite part was when you compared slicing your throat cleaner than an edge of paper. Your writing is excellent and well developed!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

haydengt63

8 Years Ago

Many many thanks for this comment. It makes my day to know that someone has enjoyed my 'musing'.



Reviews

Just absolutely loved this piece. You took me to Mumbai and this was a new experience for me. My life has been enriched by reading your story....I walk away from it a deeper, more interesting person, and that is what I look for when I select my readings. My favorite part was when you compared slicing your throat cleaner than an edge of paper. Your writing is excellent and well developed!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

haydengt63

8 Years Ago

Many many thanks for this comment. It makes my day to know that someone has enjoyed my 'musing'.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 28, 2016
Last Updated on March 28, 2016
Tags: Shaving

Author

haydengt63
haydengt63

North Perth, Western Australia, Australia



About
Hi, Im a professional Theatre Director from Australia. I keep a blog, I love taking pics and I sometimes imagine i'm a writer. Glad to have found this group. Moving to India in 2017 more..

Writing
Aftershave Aftershave

A Story by haydengt63


Process Process

A Story by haydengt63