Little Town Blues

Little Town Blues

A Story by hope
"

the meaning of this story is escaping and being trapped, weather it be thoughts, emotions, people, or places.

"

     She was born in a small, middle-of- nowhere town in East Tennessee. You know, the kind of town where kids can play in the street with no worries of cars because no one drives them.

You can't get that a lot these days.

Her memories consisted of playing backyard baseball with the boys, and riding their bikes to Mrs. Valentines to get her creamy homade ice cream, which made your hands stick to the handlebars.

Everyone knew everyone in this small town. When a newcomer came, he was bombarded with pies and cakes and invitations to block parties or celebrations at tow hall. Some people dream of this samll town life. But not her.

When she was six years old, she asked her Momma the meaning of her name.Her mother was big and round and smelled like apple pie, which she made with the apples in the tree.

"Well, honey" she explained. "When I was growing up, I had a thing we called City Fever. I wanted to leave this town, and become something bigger. Of course I couldn't because my parents introduced me to your father. We married and I had you. I named you Brooklynn, as a reminder of that dream I once had to get to New York. "

Brooklynn Anna Grace was her full name. She once went by Anna, but decided to go with Brooklynn when her momma gave her a book on New York City. The tall buildings and neon lights in the pictures facinated her. She would lightly caress the page, and close her eyes, imagining herself walking the streets of New York.

A memory that would haunt her forever was her mother, sitting in a big rocking chair by the window. She would remember her, staring blankly out the window, singing the New York, New York by Frank Sinatra. Sometimes her voice would crack on the line "My little town blues are melting away..."

When she was fourteen, her Momma died

"Scuicide" her father said, with a sigh. No tears fell from his gray eyes.

That day, Brooklyn rode to where Mrs. Valentine used to live, sat on the porch, and cried. Her Momma had Bipolar Disorder. They thought the medicatiion helped. But not enough.

One day, Brooklynn was helping her father clean out her Mommas room. She was going through the book shelf, and found the old book about New York she used to dream with. Determination fell in her eyes. In a silent prayer, she told her Momma she was going to New York. For her.

 

When she was sixteen, she met a boy. He had choclate brown hair that went past his ears and sparkeling green eyes that gave her confidence to speak.

"I'm Brooklynn"

"I'm Luke"

They become a couple, the talk of the town. Lukes parents moved here to get away from the city. Brooklynn was shocked.

"Whats your biggest dream" he asked.

She told him her mommas story. A sly smile spread across his face.

Two months later, on her seventeenth birthday, Luke pulled into her driveway while her father was at work.

"Get in" he says.

"where are we going?" she asks.

He winks.

They drive into the night. They couldn't afford a motel, so they stopped a a rest place, somewhere on the border of Pennsilvainya.

" You haven't told me waht your up to yet" she whispers, snuggiling close.

"The city of dreams" he whispers before kissing her gentely.

The next day, they reached New York. The lights shined in Lukes eyes while they danced through downtown. He showed her buildings and landmarks and even bought her a dress from a famous store. Brooklynns eyes were filled with wonder. Luke would watch her, eyes skyward at the great city, and he smiled.

She threw coins at the Julliard Students playing on the streets. It looked as if the coins returned to her, in her eyes, as she stood at Ground Zero.

Two days later, they left.

The ride home was full of scilence and worry for the wrath of her father. The excuse of going on a trip with the girls was used.

It worked. Of course, her father was angry that he didn't tell her, but the soul in her eyes pleased him. He hadn't seen that scince her Momma died.

The boy eventually moved away, and she never saw him again. She became bitter and the fire in her eyes left. She met a man after collage, and they married. They named there son John, after the husbands father.

The girl has weird behaivor, thought the husband. For every night, she would sit by the window, dream filled eyes, singing Frank Sinatras New York, New York, her voice craking on the line "My little town blues are melting away..."

 

© 2009 hope


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

awwww.... I wish she married Luke. Did you come up with this all by yourself? That was amazing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like the "Mayberry" feel that the girl's town has. People tend to never be happy where they grow up for some reason or another. This story flows really well.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 16, 2009
Last Updated on November 16, 2009

Author

hope
hope

Nashville, WY



About
Hi there! My name is Hope and I'm a newbie to this site. Some quick things about me are, I'm a horseback rider, I love my friends, and I love to read and write. My favorite books are the Twilight seri.. more..

Writing
Dear Matt Dear Matt

A Story by hope


Storm Eyes Storm Eyes

A Poem by hope