spiritual gifts

spiritual gifts

A Story by heavvur
"

liberty essay

"

Liberty University’s mission is to develop Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential to impact tomorrow’s world. 

  

Provide an essay of 200 to 400 words on the following: Describe how your perspectives of life and morality will enable you to contribute to Liberty University’s mission. 

 

There are fruits of the Spirit, blessings, and miracles. However, God also gives gifts. Some people have the gift of prayer, speaking in tongues, healing, or teaching.   

 

The word compassion comes from the Greek ‘compati’, which means “to suffer with.” This is my gift. It doesn’t sound like much of a gift when just given the Greek denotation of the word; however, the actual action is the most essential in following Christ’s footsteps.  

 

The song “Rebuild” by Christian recording artists Jon Foreman (of Switchfoot) and Matt Thiessen (of Relient K) says, “Every life comes with a broken heart.”   God gave me the gift of compassion to combat that very statement. No, I can’t mend any broken hearts; only God can do that. However, I can be the instrument that stitches the hearts back together with the thread of the Holy Spirit.  

 

Even with this beautiful gift God has given me, I can’t do it alone. I depend solely on Christ for my strength. I’m only human, and sometimes I can’t bear the load that I have been given, so I give it to Jesus. “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:30) Pisteuo is the Greek word for “believe”, but it carries the connotation that you put all of your trust in something. I can honestly say that I believe in God with this definition; I have no other choice. There’s no other way to handle the burden of others’ emotions. Psalm 20:7 says, “Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.”  

 

Trust, faith, grace, compassion; God is the epitome of all four of those words. When I think of my relationship with Christ, these are the four words that encompass my entire person and force me on my knees, praying, crying, and worshipping. “Praise be to the Lord for he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song.” (Psalm 28:6-7) What else is there to do?

 

God’s given me the gift of compassion, and more importantly the gift of His son. This isn’t my life; it’s His. It only makes sense for me to use it as a gift for Him.

 

 

 

© 2011 heavvur


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on February 7, 2011
Last Updated on February 7, 2011

Author

heavvur
heavvur

VA



About
let's see. i'm insane. :) i write poetry. i'm a musician, an actress, a dancer. i love jesus. my poetry is all inspired by actual events. i love the writing styles of emily dickinson and sylvia pl.. more..

Writing
safe. safe.

A Poem by heavvur


gothicism gothicism

A Story by heavvur