The Sweat Dream

The Sweat Dream

A Story by Hemraj
"

The story of an athlete..!!

"

The seats of an aero plane are much more comfortable than I ever thought. But, the people are all the same. Gossiping and sitting compactly with each other. One of my fellow passengers was pushing, making me uncomfortable, though I didn’t feel it much as I was excited for taking part in the Olympics. This was a great day for me, so I didn’t wanted anything to spoil my delight.

I still remember the days at school, when I used to sprint all day long. Those tracks, red and dangerous, yet I could cross it in no time. There was no one in my school or any other schools in town who could match my speed. The sweat rolling through my forehead was like the bliss of an angel. When my whole body would get drowned in sweat, I used to let myself fall on the ground and expand my arms so that I could feel every bit of senses within me, heart pounding and blood rushing all the way through.

As I got into college, i got selected for the national championship. That was one of the happiest days of my life. I had to come to Kathmandu for the training session. I was from a poor family, so, I had less options to remain there for a long time as all of us had to arrange our accommodations ourselves. I somehow rented few thousands of rupees to survive in the valley. It was a tough time but I was ready for the challenge. I used to practice hard so that I could win the competition.

 Finally, the day of the race was there. When I reached the stadium, I thought everyone was looking at me. A turbulent crowd was eagerly waiting for the battle.  But, I felt I was alone there, I could see no one, only me and my dreams, for which I had flooded sweats more than the river Mahakali. The race began; I sprinted as I was running for my life. I pushed hard every moment, with every small bit of energy within me. It was just a 100 meter race, but I thought it took the time equal to my whole life since I was born. Those few yards were the only space between me and my destiny. I could see nothing, just a mild brightness in front of me, feeling as I was trying to get dissolved in that light. So, I ran and just ran. When I regained my actual status, I was way ahead of the finishing line, my mates shouting in joy, people roaring. I soon realized I had won the race. That moment took me to the seventh heaven. I was so happy, overwhelmed to have completed my task as the best. I remembered my parents who had worked so hard and sacrificed thousands of their happiness for me. I thanked god to have spread his love and affection upon me.

I had to take part in my first international outing, the Asian Games. It was a month later, so I headed home to take some rest and share the happiness with my family. After a week I had to return for the camp before the competition. I decided to be back early so that I could practice more vigorously and make full preparations. My mother wanted me to stay couple of days more, but I denied and took the bus back to Kathmandu. It was the time of dusk, everything was so smudged, full of drizzle around, along the cliff of a hill. Suddenly, the bus lost control, may be the driver was drunk or feeling dizzy. Soon the bus started tumbling over the edge of the road. I was on the last seat of the crowded bus. Suspecting the danger, some of us on the last seat broke the rear glass of the bus and jumped out. Then, within no time, the bus rolled down, out of sight in mere moments. It left only few of us severely injured with everyone else vanished, with no chances of returning alive. I survived, but I was in immense pain, unconscious and battling for my life. When I regained consciousness, I was on a hospital bed, with a blood transfusion, wounds all around, stiches all over, a swollen eye and an evicted leg. I could not believe this had happened to me. After a few weeks I had my race. I was on the brink of a history.

Shattered, I returned back home after I got treated, this time staying only in the bed cursing my fate. I wished had I not jumped from the bus, I would have a peaceful end. I spent my days wishing to die, to get free from this pain, frustration and helplessness. I had no options in life than to become a burden for my family, although they never felt the same. They took complete care of me and convinced me a lot to forget all the past and lead towards a new life. But how can handicapped people like me have got in life? Everything was in vain, a complete waste of time.

My friend during those times was my mobile phone, I would spend whole day getting busy with it. One day my phone rang and a hoarse voice spoke at the other end. That voice was of my team mate, who replaced me in the Asian Games. He asked me to meet him. I refused at first but later he forced to meet which I couldn’t disagree. In the meeting, he explained me about a new technology that could fix an artificial leg which would allow me to walk normally or even run. He also stated that the athletics committee, with the collaboration with government, is willing to do my operation. My hopes got a new dawn, I could not say no. Life gave me another chance.

After I got treated, I could walk with little pain around the knee, where the metal was fused in to my body. The rest was up to the painkillers. I felt of new rays, rays of life, hope and dreams. I was not disabled any more, but differently able. I started practicing slowly, running around in the morning. After few months and lots of hard work, I could run at average speed. Those pores, which were dried up, started curving sweats again. It was the same feeling which I had years ago. Seeing improvements, I called up to the Olympics committee. Surprisingly, I got a chance to participate in the Paralympics. It was then I realized that no obstacle is too high for sheer determination and courage. I was stronger than ever.

Today, I am on a flight to Germany, for the race of my life. Even If anything happens wrong with this vehicle again, I won’t jump out, I would fight, battle with every circumstances. I know now, all over the soul, that the god is always besides me, backing me up, encouraging me to live, to dare and conquer my goal, my life, my dream, the sweat dream.

© 2015 Hemraj


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on August 18, 2015
Last Updated on August 18, 2015

Author

Hemraj
Hemraj

Mahendranagar, Nepal



Writing
My Best Friend My Best Friend

A Story by Hemraj


The Soldier The Soldier

A Story by Hemraj