Everything's Illuminated: Letters

Everything's Illuminated: Letters

A Story by Henry
"

Letters written by a dying girl to her family, for them to open after her death. Sort of a follow on from events in my first story, Everything's Illuminated.

"

Dear Mum,

Right. First thing's first. I want to be buried in my lilac dress. You know the one? The one I wore to Auntie Sarah's wedding? I also want to wear my butterfly sandles and the ring Nana gave me. Don't bother putting any make-up on me-what would be the point? And also, I definatly, DEFINATLY don't want to be cremated. It pollutes the Earth, you know. Of course, I won't be there...but still. I want you and Dad and everyone to live in a perfectly lovely planet. As for coffins, a cardboard one will do. They're biodegradable. It said so in the brochure. Please, please, PLEASE don't let the vicar say anything. Remember, he doesn't actually know me. I want you all to say something about me-you, Dad, the lot. It has to be lovely of course...only joking! Tell the truth. Tell them something funny, make them laugh. I don't want them to be sad at my funeral!!! Play "Hey Ya" by OutKast. It's on my iPod. It's speakers are somewhere under my bed, if you can find them. Afterwards, don't have some crummy old wake. Have a disco! Put my iPod shuffle, and get on the dancefloor! (Well, obviously not Nana, we don't want her breaking a hip, do we?)

Um, that's all, I think. So, um, anyway-yeah. Bye

Emmy xxx

Dear Tommo,

Hey, it's your sister here. Yes, I'm speaking to you from beyond the grave!!! Seriously, it's lush here, I have wings, a halo-the works. But really, I don't want to see you here anytime soon! Wait about 80 years first. Yes. Don't die young. Although don't be boring-take drugs, get drunk, have sex. Do everything I wanted. Do it for me, okay? Be rebellious, be fearless, be ALIVE, because seriously, you'll reget it if you don't-I know I did.

Emmy xxx

Dear Greg,

This whole 'being dead' thing really has it's advantages, y'know? You're probably wondering who I am. Well, I'm the (deceased) girl who sat behind you in Maths, and often threw bits of rubber at your head. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I fancied the pants off of you, and would've quite happily let you be my knight in shining armour-for the rest of the school year, anyway. There, I said it! I wouldn't have said it if I hadn't of died. Hah! It's not as bad as it seems, eh?

Emmy xxx

Dear Tess,

Well, thanks old bean. Its been a roller-coaster ride, hasn't it? Since the first say of pre-school to that whole dramatic saying goodbye malarky at the hospital (seriously, you should've won an Oscar for that. It was heartbreaking). Anyway, I just wanted to say I love you...and by the way, I head Justin Oliver fancies you! I know, right?! You should so ask him out. Do it. Do it now. Or I swear I will haunt you until your dying day :P

Emmy xxx

Dear Dad,

This is gonna be short. I know how much you hate emotional farewells. Well, Dad, I just wanted to say thank-you for the last 18 years-you, and Mum too-have been truly great.

Love forever,

Emmy xxx

Dear Everyone,

Do me one favour.

Live.

For me.

Big love,

Emmy xxx

© 2009 Henry


Author's Note

Henry
You may understand the story better if you read EVERYTHINGS ILLUMINATED-it's sort of like a little sequel :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is great, although, I do like the original story better. That's because the other one was a lot more serious, depressing (in a good way, though), and more...abstract (that isn't right the word, but it's close enough, hopefully). This one is a lot more light-hearted and friendly. Honestly, the two stories make a good duo. You can get a taste of two emotions on the opposite side of the spectrum. There are just a couple of spelling mistakes, as well. Other than that, all is good and well.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I read this first and then Everythings Illuminated. Wow, I loved both. Both were filled with emotion and I liked how you were able to include humor as part of her departng message. Great job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Awesome. Emmy does seem to have a lot of personality. You can tell that she wants everyone to be happy. And in the end she gives the best advice - live. Very heartfet. Sad though. Sometimes you have to get a little sad. It definitely sent the message across. Great poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow I saw you posted and I like the letters. It kind of gives a more realistic feel to the story I think. This was quite good.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 7, 2009

Author

Henry
Henry

Somerset, United Kingdom



About
I want to thank everyone who reviewed Everything's Illuminated! I made a writerscafé account when I was 15, uploaded a couple of stories and then forgot about the website for about three years... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..