Maybe so

Maybe so

A Story by Call Me Blu
"

A book about three orphans with many unexpected twists. A mini novel

"

Anabel began to walk down the long damp road that led to the Granger Home for Girls. She had been sent out to meet the postman for the mail, and she carried it in a small satchel that she had been handed as she left. It was weighing her down as she climbed up the hill. Anabel was only about nine, so the thirteen pakages and about thirthy envelopes were extremely heavy to her. She was about to round the corner to the flat stretch with the orphanage when she caught sight of a boy about her age sitting in a corner. He was laughing as he played with a small kitten and fed it chuncks of bread and meat. He had a tin plate with some water that the kitten was drinking from. His dark brown hair was shaggy and messed up, and he had blue eyes that were as sharp as a new blade. He had on a threadbare blue t-shirt and jeans.  Curious, Anabel walked over to the little boy quietly as she could. She slipped on a puddle in the street and she fell backwards onto her skirts. The little boy looked up and ran over and held out his hand. Anabel was glad it was cold out so that he wouldn't notice her blushing. She pulled her hat tighter over her dirty blond bangs and straightened her dress.
"Hi!" the little boy said, "I'm Greyson, and this is nettle" he pointed to the cat that was rubbing against Anabel's leg. It was a dirty brown with white pawsand ears.
Anabel bent down and pet the cat, "I'm Anabel. I'm an orphan at the Granger Home. Where do you live?"
Greyson looked down and shuffled his feet and Anabel was afraid that he was angry. Right as he looked up to speak a pounding rang through the streets and a shrill voice called, "Anabel? Get back here this instant! I am expecting a parcel."
Anabel turned and began to run towards the short and fat old woman. She turned her head and waved to Greyson as she was pushed inside the large brick building by Ms. Granger. Ms.Granger would be rather pleasant looking if she didn't always lopok like she was eating a sour grape. she never went out to the shops so she ordered her ridiculous dresses through the mail.
Most of the orphans ran towards Anabel to see if there were any adoption notices, but hurried back to chores when Ms. Granger came in looming over them in a purple corset over a black velvet and lace collar dress that was much to small.
"Well?" Ms. Granger barked, "Back to work. You will be called in if there is an adoption notice. But first I have some buisness to attend to. Anabel yiu have kitchen duty, so hurry up. Martha will be waiting."
Anabel blew her bangs away and entered the kitchen.

 

<center>* * *

 

Ananbel entered the kitchen where Martha was cooking pasta in in a huge pot. Martha was a kindly looking round woman with rosy cheeks and a wide smile. Unlike Ms. Granger, Martha wore simple dresses and sneakers all the times. She had gray hair that was cut into a bob and pulled back with a sparkly headband. "Anabel dear, could you grab me the basil?" Martha asked. Martha had always been nice to the orphans, and she was hireed back when Ms.Granger liked orphans so she was a great cook. Anabel grabbed some basil and handed it to Martha.
"Martha?" Anabel asked
"Yes dear." Martha answered
"what was Ms. Granger like when you were hired?"
"Ellen? Well let me see, she was a sort of happy person. She had just lost her husband so she was getting through a rough time. She had a good heart and loved you children. She only opened this orphanage because she was an orphan. She was determined to treat you right and give you everything you deserved. She brought a group to the shops once a month to help with shoppin'. Oh the girls loved that n' looked forward to it. That was the first ta go. Hand me a spoon love? Thank ya. Then she began telling the girls to stand up straight, look nice, be prim n' proper. We all thought she was just a little shaken and we would be back to normal in no time.
Then a little girl abou ypur age was adopted. She fired the maid, Rosa, and gave out chores. Started wearin them outfits. Nothing ever was the same again. This all happened right whan you came to us. Lucky thin I was headin out or you woulda caught your death. Now back to work. I need some salt and ten tomatoes."
Anabel went to get them and Martha started humming. Soon the kitche was filled with delicious food and cakes for dessert.

 

<center>* * *

 

At dinner that night there was a huge commotion. There had been a notice that a couple wanted to adopt a girl and a boy, but they wanted the girl from the Granger home. Anbel spent dinner telling her friends Katie and Sarah about Greyson. Both of them decided that he would be perfect as the boy to adopt.
"Do you think they would want him though?" asked Katie. She had on a worn pink sweater and pale jeans. she twirled her blond hair on her finger as she spoke.
"Of course" Anabel replied, "He's an orphaned boy who wants a home"
"What about Nettle?" Asked Sarah, "If they don't like cats what will happen?" She had dark black hair and freckles. She had on dark jeans and a green sweatshirt, she chewed on her thumbnail as she stared at Anabel.
"You can sneak him in the orphanage until he has a home." Anabel said between mouthfulls of pasta in some sauce
"Why just us?"  Katie asked looking quizzicaly at Anabel. This time there was no cold to hide the blush seeping into her cheeks.
"Sorry," Anabel said as she drained her milk glass, "Whenever someone comes to adopt, I always imagine them choosing me."
The other girls laughed and nodded in agreement. All of a sudden the foom went quiet as Ms. Granger walked in wearing an emerald colored velvet dress. This one had a deep neckline lat was covered in greean and black lace. The skirt was just high enough to see her gangly and bunion covered feet stuffed into green gladiator style sandals. She cleared her throat and began to peirce the room with her voice," Mr and Mrs Richardson are coming in three days to choose one girl. For jobs that day Anabel is on Mail duty, Molly is in the kitchen With Martha, Tara is on floors, Emily has the beds, Mary you have dusting, Sarah vacuming, and Lissa you take the stairs. We have marsmallow fluff cake for dessert. One peice each and no sharing. Thank you."
As soon as she left noise began to fill the hall again.

 

<center>* * *

 

After everyone had a bath and brushed their teeth Ms. Granger came upstairs and began to make rounds shutting windows and confiscating books and games. Each window had an alarm that was only shut off by a key that Ms. Granger kept in the front of her dress. No one had even ever attempted to steal it, no one thought it was worth it. anabel knew she had to see Greyson tonight, but she couldn"t be missing, or set off the alarm. She had no choice.
At midnight Anabel snuck into Ms. Grangers room and looked around. The floor was littered wit cigarette butts and catalogs. There were ashtrays on the shelves and clothes draped everywhere. Dirty coffee mughs and moldy rolls were on tables and under chairs. Anabel snuck into the room and flinched whenever Ms. Granger snorted and snored. She finally found the dress in the very back of the room crumpled in a heap and stuffed into a box. Next to the box was a small silver key on a silver clip.
Anabel Grabbed the key and slipped back into the hallway. After entering the room, she woke up Sarah.
"Sarah," She whispered
Sarah grunted and rolled over
"I have the key" Whispered Ananbel. At this, Sarah sat up her eyes wide.
"You got the key! Go Anabel, you need the time."
Anabel grabbed a blanket from her bed as she climbe out the window and onto the roof. Anabel was already out the window before she realized that she had no idea where Greyson was. She hoped he was in the place as always. She walked down the cold street and focused on getting around the corner. She came around the corner and looked into the alleyway. In the corner was a small shivering mass. She heard a small mew and began to walk towards it. Greyson was asleep in the corner shivering in his threadbare clothing. Anabel shook his shoulder. He sat up and turned towards her fists raised.
"Greyson, it's Anabel" she whispered
"Anabel?" He whispered lowering his fists, 'Why are you here?"
Anabel shuffled closer and sat by Greyson, wrappinh half of the blanket around his shoulders, "There is a couple comind in two days. Thjey want to adopt a girl and a boy."
"And you want them to choose me?" Greyson asked
"Of course," Anabel answered, "Why wouldn't I?"
"What if...what if I don't want to be adopted." Greyson looked away and began petting Nettle.
"Why wouldn't you?" Asked Anabel. After a long silenc Greyson turned back towards her.
"You should be getting back. The sun will be up soon."  Greyson looked at the sky. Anabel dropped the blanket and stood up. Greyson handed it to her but she shook her head.
"You keep it. We have extra's. I'll see you later when I do mail."
"See ya" Greyson said as Anabel dispeared around the corner. He layed down his head and went back to sleep.

 

 

 

[PB]

 

 

 

 

 

 

<center>*A visit*

 

 

 

The Orphanage was bustling with activity in preperation for the visit later in the day. Every girl woke ten minutes early so they could brush and straighten their hair using a comb and the heater vent. Everyone washed their faces cleaned their room and some even used smuggled makeup and ribbon. The smaller children were helped by Anabel and some of the other girls. The entire morning Anabel kept thinking about Greyson. She had snuck back in and replaced the key. Then she went into the closeta nd grabbe a blanket. She ripped it and smudged it with dirt so it looked like her old one.
When all of the girls were ready and in their church clothes they lined up and waited for their directions. Anyone who hadn't been assaigned a specific chore was sent to help the younger children or to clean the kitchen or organize the rooms. At 10:15 Anabel was sent for the mail and told to be back by 10:45. She grabbed the bag of the hook and ran through the door into the street. She had her fingers crossed that the postman would be on time. She glanced at the watch that all mail girls had, and saw that she had twenty-five minutes.
Reaching the bottom of the hill she saw the postman at the post office and he handed her the mail. She took off up the hill and when she reache d the alley she had fifteen minutes. She saw Greyson and Netlle in the corner wrapped in her blanket. When she came closer Nettle mewed and Greyson smiled.
"Their coming today Greyson." She said "I really want them to choose me. But I would miss you an awful lot. Have you thought about it? i know we only just met. But your funny and nice and-"
"I'm gonna try!" Greyson said, "I know I said that I didn't want to but I really do!"
"Oh Greyson!" Anabel jumped up and gave Greyson a hug. But when she pulled away her eyes were sad. "What if only one of us gets picked?"
"Then we will find a way to get the other one!" Greyson exclaimed
Anabel laughet and ran towards the orphanage. She burst in the door with two minutes to spare.
She handed Ms. Granger the mail and went to go help in the bedrooms, but Ms. Granger stopped her.
"And where are you going?" she asked
"Up to help in the bedrooms ma'am" anabel replied
Ms. Granger put a yellow gloved hand on her hip. She was wearing a butter colored silk dress that was much to small, and gold high heels that made her feet roll over the sides and squish through the front. "I thought so. You will be on stairs today young lady. No easy work for a late mail girl."
"Yes ma'am" Anabel replied. Ms. Granger pursed her thin lips and walked away making the floorboards creak and moan. Anabel went to the stairs and met Sarah and Molly.

 

<center>* * *

 

As Anabel finished the stairs, a tall man in a navy suit walked through thhe door. He sneered at the children and then walked over to Anabel,  Get me Ellen child." He said the last word as you may say the name of a man who killed your mother. Anabel nodded and ran down the hall to Ms. Granger's room. She peeeked in her head. Ms. Granger looked up and shouted,
"Waddya want?"
"There's a man here for ya ma'am" Ananbel said
"Is their now?" Ms. Granger said, her tone now a sickly sweet dreamy sound, "I'll be just a minute."
Ananbel ran back down the hal to the man in the suit. He now had a cigar in his mouth and his hair was oiled back away from his pale and hollow face. "Well?" he gibed
"She will only be a minute sir." Anabel replied meekly
Just about five minutes later Ms. Granger appeared in a red dress rimmed with black feathers. She had a red sequined jacket as well, and her fat bulged and rippled in the polyester. Her shoes were black sequin strappy stilletos.
"Why, hello there. I don't beleive i've met you before?" Ms. Granger droned
"Kent Bridges, It's a privledge to meet such a striking beauty" Kent said in a purring voice. Ms. Granger giggled, and all of the orphans mimicked gagging.
"I'm here to do your taxes. Your old man, Eddy, died." Kent drawled on
"How unfortunate" Ms. Granger said, "Won't you follow me into my office?"
As soon as the two disapeared everyone began to laugh and talk again.
"What a sleaze!" Molly giggled
"Oh, what a beauty!" Sarah jeered
"And that dress! Ugh!" Anabel laughed
The three girls continued poking fun and giggling until Ms. Granger came out looking flustered. Kent followed close behind and they headed into the street. When Ms. Granger returned she was followed by a young man and woman. The woman was in a light periwinkle skirt and suit jacket with a blouse underneath. The man had a scowl and a black suit witha silk tie and red shirt. Everyone gasped, and Sarah, Katie and Anabel shared a look. The young woman was holding Greyson's hand.

 

<center>* * *

 

Greyson smiled at Anabel, and then whispered something to the lady. Ms. Granger continued to speak rapidly to the man, but Anabel was focused on the woman. Her heart skipped a beat whe the woman pointed at her and smiled. Greyson smiled as well. Anabel went back to washing, and the woman walked closer. Anabel stood up, but the woman walked right by her. Greyson looked panicked as the woman went to Sarah and took her hand.
Sarah gave Anabel a pained look as Greysonbegan saying something to the woman. The woman lookedtowards Anabel and then walked towards her.
"Hello Anabel. I'm Mrs. Richardson. Greyson over here says that you two are friends?"
"Yes ma'am." Anabel croaked
"Would you like to join us for lunch Anabel?"
"Yes ma'am." Anabel said more enthusiasticaly
Mrs. Richardson held out her hand and Anabel took it. The trio walked through the dooras Ms. Granger gave Anabel and Sarah a dirty look before smiling at Mrs. Richardson. They got out to the street and Nettle hopped up into Greysons arms. Mrs. Richardson smiled, "Whats his name?" she asked
"Nettle!" Greyson beamed
Sarah turned to  Anabel, "I'm so sorry! I really want to be picked" Sarah choked back a sob "But I know how much Greyson means to you, and, well" Sarah began sobbing into Anabel's arms
"Whoever she chooses will be a good choice. We both want this more than anything else." Anabeth responded
Mrs. Richardson came over to the girls and hugged them both. Not soon after Greyson And Netlle came over. The girls managed smiles and they continued to the diner down the street.

 

<center>* * *

 

The diner was packed, so they waited in line for a while before being seated. They ended up getting a table eventually and then a waitress came over and handed out menues. The three orphans scanned the pages of food before selecting a meal. Greyson ordered a plate of milk and turky peices for Nettle, and toast, eggs, hot choclate and bacon for himself. Anabel ordered orange juice, pancakes, and bacon. Sarah had stuffed waffles and hot chocolate. Mrs.Richardson ordered nothing, but watched the children devour the meal instead. The children said thank you every bite, and by the time they left nettle was in Mrs. Richardson's lap.
When they returned to the orphanage Mr. and Mrs. Richardson left with Ms. Granger and the three children were left alone.
"That was the best food I've ever had!" Greyson exclaimed
"She seems really nice." Sarah said
Anabel just weakly smiled at them and then looked away. Sarah's smile disapeared and Nettle let out a stragle mew. Geyson looked down and began to speak.
" I guess I should tell you why I didn't want to be adopted."
Anabel nodded and Sarah looked up with wide eyes.
"Well," Greyson began, "When I was only two, my parents-"
"Children!" Ms. Granger screeched.
All three children jumped up and faced Mrs Richardson. Mrs. richardson had tears in her eyes and Mr. Richardson looked angry.
"After much discussion, I have decide which two orphans to take," Mrs. Richardson began, "Greyson, and Sarah." Sarah and Greyson ran up to the Richardsons leaving Anabel standing alone. Greyson looked back and seemed to realize she was there.
"What about Anabel?" He choked
"I'm sorry," Mrs.Richardson said as she gripped his shoulders and led him out the door. her smile was gone and now she looked evil. Sarah tried to run as Mr Richardson grabbed her shoulders and pushed her out the door. Ms. Granger held onto Anabel's arms as she stood at the doorway with tears running down her cheeks.
"Sarah! Greyson!" Anabel yelled
Greyson and Sarah both were screaming and crying. Ms. Granger tossed anabel inside. "Enough! Your in the kitchen on dish duty." Ms. Granger looked up and saw that a line of orphans had formed at the top of the stairs, "All of you! stairs and bthrooms!"
Anabel ran ito the kitchen and right to Martha. Martha grabbed her into a hug and then sat her down to do the chopping work. Anabel explained the entire story and by the end Martha was in tears and cursing as she washed.
"I have to find them." Anabel sobbed
"Yes ya do. And I'll be helpin ya to if possible." Martha said as she whisked away her tears, "That no good rotten Ms. Granger probably dint do a background check neither. That laz fat old hag feelin' sorry fer herself all the damn time."
The rest of the shift was spent plotting and planning the great escape.

 

 

 

[PB]

 

 

 

 

 

 

<center>*A task at hand*

 

 

 

All of the orphans were told the full story beginning to end of what happened. Every orphan agreed to the plan. The days were normal enough, but every orphan held a secret. The only unnacounted for drawback, was Kent. He was shoeing up every day. Luckily he started staying longer and longer. This gave them a perfect oppurtunity to slip out to the post office. Martha had found the adress where Greyson and Sarah had been taken in a file folder. They had been sending messages there for weeks and only getting a clear as mud reaponse. Anabel had worked hard to gather up all of the blankets, sheets and pillowcases from the bedrooms and replacing them with new ones. Ms. Granger hadn't noticed, which was good. Martha was busy making cakes and bread and putting it in a basket. Finally the day came when Kent took Ms. Granger for dinner, leaving Martha in charge. Anabel and Molly got a cart ready and put in the basket and all of the old sheets and pillow cases went on top.
Molly and Anabel were hidden underneath and Martha brought the cart to the laundry room. There was an exit in back that led to a back alleyway. Martha wheeled them out and put them in back of a truck.
"Try not to move now" martha whispered
Molly and Anabel mumbled an ok and the back of the truck was shut. All of the other orphans were in Ms. Granger's office pulling out checks bills and money. They brought it all out to Martha who passed it back to Anabel and Molly. As soon as Martha started the truck Molly climbed out and held onto the cart with Anabel inside with the food and money.
"Hold on Anabel"  whispered Molly, "We're almost at the train station.
When The truck pulled up to the train station Martha lifted Anabel out of the cart and then handed her a ticket.
"You have 'bout 45 minutes. Use a little cash ta buy yourself a treat." Martha was smiling but there were tears in her eyes, "And don't you go off and get yerself killed now."
Anabel nodded and then gave her a hug before turning to Molly, "Go on," Molly said, "I want to see yo back here as soon as you can." Anabel gave her a hug as well and then ran off into the train station.

 

<center>* * *

 

Anabel made it to her train and used about ten dollars on treats and sanwiches. Anabel made a game of lookin out the window and coming up with stories for each person that got on. For example the man in the buisness suit was a secret agent on a mission to destroy the world. At the third stop she looked out the window and almost screamed. Standing there was Ms. Granger in an ugly blu cashmere sweater and leatjer pants. she had white shoes and was holding hands with a man. When she looked closer she realized that that man was Kent Bridges. He had a light blue suit and a new cigar. Anabel slid down in her seat and watched as they boarded the train. They walked right by her into the next car and Anabel let out an audible sigh. She spent the rest of the trip going over and over the plan. She  checked every five minutes that Ms. Granger wasn't coming up behind her. When the train stopped Anabel walked out onto the platform holding the basket and money.

She walked down to a cab station and got into a car. She gave the man the adress on her slip of paper and he took off in a whirlwind of gravel. The man was in a yellowed once-white t-shirt and jeans with more holes than fabric. The meter ticked up to about twenty dollars by the time they reached the street where the Richardson's lived. After paying the man she stood at the end of a street filled with dazzling white mansions. She began to walk down the road and finally found the house with the solid gold 374. There was a strip of woods wrapping around back, and Anabel ducked inside.
Since it was almost night time Anabel settled down to wait until about 1 a.m. when it would be safe to examine the home. She had had Molly print a background synopsisof the family and reviewed it. They have adopted many children, always in boy/ girl sets. They have money from Mrs. Richardson's father who was a banker. No job was listed.
"Weird." Anabel whispered. Deeper research had shown that the always show up at any party ever held within a five mile radius of their home, but are never seen with children. The next day there was a neighborhood party starting at 2p.m ending at midnight. This was the perfect time to find and rescue Greyson and Sarah. Anabel looked at the watch she had taken fron the hook by the mail bag. Only 10p.m. She took out some bread and munched on it. She then took out a book that she had brought from the main shelf, but couldn't focus. Eventually she just started waiting for the lights to die in the house. They went out at midnight and Anabel decided to wait an extra hour just in case. As soon as the watch read 1a.m Anabel walked around back of the house and peeked in a window. There were two teenagers, a boy and a girl, laying on the ground in t-shirts and shorts even though it was November. The next room held a younger pair, and younger and younger. Finally she saw Greyson and Sarah in t-shirts and shorts on the ground. She turned over the background paper and marked where they were. She then set the alarm on her watch and went back to the woods where she fell asleep.
 At 11a.m her watch woke her up and she checked her surroundins twice before remembering where she was. She took out some bread and ate it before drawing up her plan. She made x's and o's all over her diagram of the mansion. She waited until she saw both Richardson's leave and then an extra fifteen minutes just in case.
Once it was safe she went up to the window. Sarah and Greyson were sitting in a corner holding a bowl and Nettle was pacing. She went to open the window before seeing that it was built into the house. The door was locked and there seemed to be no way in. She looked up at the roof and saw a chimne and a hatch.

 

<center>* * *

 

Anabel began to climb up onto the deck on the back of the house she then climed up onto the porch roof. Fom there she scaled the chimney to the roof. The hatch turned out to be a skylight into a kitchen. Anabel pulled and tugged but it wouldn't budged. She was getting nervous about being spotted and then she got angry. She kicked the skylight hard and it slid open. Anabel jumped onto a countertop and twisted her ankle. She held back a scream and hobbled into a long hallway.
She looked at her diagram and found the right room. She saw a key hanging on a hook and reache for it. She was just an inch shy, but didn,t want to jump because of her ankle. she took the paper and used it to nudge the paper off. it was dangling on the edge and Anabel jumped. She let out a strangled gargling scream and head a mew from inside.
She put the key into the slot and opened the door. She expected Sarah and Greyson to run up to her. But they just sat staring at her. "Greyson?" She choked, "Sarah? It's me, Anabel."
They both just sat and stared at her. Nettle came up to her and mewed. Something was very wrong.
"Please say something!" Anabel pleaded.
"Something" they both said. Their voices were hollow and dead sounding. anabel started crying and Nettle rubbed up against her until she picked him up.
Anabel then walked over to Greyson and took his hand. She then took Sarahs hand and led them out the door. Nettle was following close behind. When They got to the door anabel opened it and a wave of freezing air hit them. She hadn't realised how hot it was until now, she had been to focused. As soon as the cold air hit them Greyson and Sarah seemed to wake up.
"Anabel!" Greys shouted, "You got adopted to?"
Anabel just shook her head, "I'll explain later. Right now don't argue just come on."
Greyson and Sarah followed in silence until they reached the woods. They saw the basket and ate it all in seconds. It hadn't occured to Anabel that the bowl hadn't held food, but marbles and some sort of smelling salt mixture. Anabel dragged them to the end of the street and then they walked until they were a good half mile away. Then Anabel used a payphone to call a cab. when they got to the train station Anabel bought them all tickets back. Once they were aboard the train Anabel ordered sandwiches and began to explain what had happened.

 

<center>* * *

 

By the end of the story both Sarah and Greyson had eyes wide as plates and their mouths were down to their chests. as soon as they had both recovered from the shock of being legally kidnapped Greyson spoke,"While we're on the subjuct, I never did tell you why I didn't want to be adopted."
Sarah and Anabel nodded.
"Well," began Greyson, "When I was two my parents died from fever and I was sent to live with my brother Adam. I was happy their for quite some time. He would spend his days on a farm and the farmers wife took care of ne. The farmer had a daughter named Maria. She had been married before but her husband had died also from fever. She had a daughter my age and her mother took care of us both. When we were about four we became friends and ran around the farm together. Then he married Maria. We were a fairly happy family for another year and me and her daughter Elanor got along well still. Then Maria began to change. She had me doing chores and doing things like getting groceries and baking and making food for her. I told Elanor, and she called me a liar and got mad at me for talking badly about her mother. From then on she hated me, and when I told my brother he laughed and said I was just earning my keep. After a while my brother started to hate me, he would encourage Maria to have me go onto the roof to sweep it or to was the floors with a toothbrush. When another baby came along my room was turned into a nursery and I was put in a closet. I ate leftovers and took care of the baby. Cleaning his diapers, washing his face, feeding him. Maria only came to see it when it was smiling. I was only six. One year later I ran away."
"Oh," said Sarah, "I guess this didn't help much either." Greyson laughed and shook his head.
"How did you get food?" Anabel asked.
"Begging. I would just walk around shops and someone would offer me something. The only thing I own was that tin plate and I found Nettle as a kitten when I first ran away." At his name Nettle perked his ears and looked around, "He was abandoned in a basket at the roadside when I found him. He was thin and slowly dying. I would fill the plate with rainwater for him and give him different scraps."
The rest of the train ride was spent in silence. When the train reached the terminal Anabel led Sarah and Greyson to a cab station. She whispered something in the drivers ear and they were off. The cab oulled up in front of the mall. The three children got out and went to the first clothing shop.

 

 

 

[PB]

 

 

 

 

 

 

<center>*The Return*

 

 

 

Anabel, Sarah, and Greyson walked into the mall and ran straight for the nearest clothing store. They got new dresses, shirts, and pants for every girl at the orphanage along with shoes and pajama's.
"Purple for Caroline I think" Anabel said
"And blue pajama's" Sarah agreed
By the time they were done it was only about three hundred dollars, and they had thousands left. All of the money was meant to be spent on the orphanage, but Ms. Granger had used it for herself and her dresses and suits. They then went to another clothing shop and got Greyson new pants and shirts. "These are the first new clothes in three years!" Greyson exclaimed as he tried them on. Nettle mewed in the shopping bag and everyone laughed. They ducked into a pet shop and got nettle a collar and a tag. The next stop was the candy store. It was filled with aisle after aisle of chocolates, gummies, and hard candy. Every wall had a dispenser for sour sugar and the cashier was surrounded by gum and chocolate covered nuts. the three children all grabbed bags and began to fill them with candy.
"Chocolate crunch bars definatley." Sarah stated
"And gummy worms" Greyson shouted
"Hard toffee" Anabel added
"And butterscotch" Greyson agreed
They left with enough candy for everyone at the orhanage and thousands of dollars left for repairs and bills. They got back into the cab and gave him the adress for the orphanage. The driver nodded and sped off into the streets. The three children began talking immediatley. Anabel told them about Ms. Granger on the train, "No way!" Sarah giggled
"So weird!" Greyson agreed. After they had all stopped giggling, even the cab driver was laughing silentley to himself, Greyson took out the collar and the tag and put it on Nettle. It was green fake snake skin with a gold tag that read: Nettle return to Granger Home for Girls 496 Graywood ave.
"It's perfect" Anabel exclaimed
"Competely and utterly puuurfect" Sarh whispered
Of course this set off another fit of giigles and they spent the rest of the car ride in stitches.

 

<center>* * *

 

When the three children entered the orphanage they had braced themselves for mayhem. All they found was everyone going about their chores. When the caught sight of Anabel, Sarah and Greyson everyone ran forward. Martha came from the kitchen and joined in the massive group hug. After everyone had calmed down Anabel spoke, "Wheres Ms. Granger?"
When everyone began talking at once Martha hushed them and spoke to Anabel, "She came back once, grabbed 'er stuff an we never seen her since. Good riddance."
"We wanna hear 'bout whappen to you guys!" five year old Emmy asked. A chorus of cheers began but died quickly as Anabel spoke. Each of the other children spoke and near the end pulled out all of the leftover money. Martha had left in the midle of the story and come back with a phone. After Anabel had finished her story there was a knock on the door and in walked the police cheif.
"Hello there." The cheif said as he turned towards Martha, "Mind telling me What I came to hear?"
"Anabel?" Martha said, "I need you to explain what you saw at 374 Maplewood Ave."
Anabel described the house and the pairs of children in the heat and the bowls. The cheif was taking notes and at the end puilled out his phane and began saying the story over the phone. Then he turned to Anabel, Sarah, and Greyson. "We dopn't know what goes on there but it isn't good. We have a squad going to rescue those kids, I need to take you down to the station for questioning."
"Ok," Anabel said, "But there is one thing I need to do." Anbel then reached into her baag and pulled out the clothes and candy. All of the children cheered as they  passed it out. Anabel then handed Martha a box of candy and they were led outside into a car.

 

<center>* * *

 

The police station was filled with bright lights and rooms. There were a few empty cells and some questioning rooms with tables. One room they passed had a box of donuts and a coffee pot. When they reached the end of the hallway they wer herded into a room with a female cop. The cop nodded at the cheif and the three children were motioned to sit down.
After repeating the story to the second cop she began asking questions," Anabel, why didn't you just come to the cops?"
"There wasn't time." Anebel replied
"do you remember anything between the time of entering and leaving the house?"
"Nothing" Sarah said
"All I remeber is seeing a hallway, and hearing Nettle, my cat, mewing"
After several more rounds of questions The three were led into the room with coffee and it had been shut down. The neighbors were also questioned.donuts. They sat there for a half hour before being brought to the orphanaage. There the cheif told us that the Richardsons had been caught and the children were in a hospital to recover. They hadn't figured out the operation's purpose, but it was over. The neighbors were also being questioned and confined.
Martha ordered pizza to celbrate and the started calling banks and insurance companies. Before long she owned the orphanage.

 

 

 

[PB]

 

 

 

 

 

 

<center>*The Following*

 

 

 

Martha came in to the bedroom where Anabel was moved to and clapped her hands. The girls stopped painting the walls and laying tow the new rug to look at her. Martha smiled and began to speak,"You girls are wonderful, and I love the way your rooms are coming out. I have decided to use some of the money set aside to hire back a maid," Cheers rang through the room but Martha quieted them, "You will still have chores to do, but the new maid, Emma, will come around once a month to lighten the load."
The girls grumbled but no one argued. Martha left the room and all of the girls went back to painting and laying down carpets and pillows."A maid will be great," Anabel admitted, "Even if we still have chores."
Sarah nodded in agreement. Martha then went down to the boys floor to deliver the news. With Ms. Granger gone Martha had taken in any of the boy orphans on the street and added rooms to the bottom floor. She had also created a system where no more than three children could be requested to be adopted together. Anabel, Greyson, and Sarah had been the first in this new system. Molly was hired to do background checks on any of the parents who came in to adopt. One couple had already been turned away due to the husband's criminal record. Nettle was the new orphanage cat, and he would hang out with Martha in the kitchen while she cooked.
Everyone had certain jobs around the building, but no one did stairs or the bathroom. When Emma came she would do those while the children helped her with the bedrooms.
"Hello Emma," Anabel said as she carried a bucket of water to her. emma was a short skinny woman about forty-something. She wad wrinkled eyes and brown hair always in a bun. Her green eyes always looked like they were up to something, everyone at the orphanage liked her.
"Hello Anabel" Emma said as she scrubbed the stairs with a sponge
"Can I ask you something?" Anabel asked as she set down the water
"Sure." Emma replied, looking up.
"Do you really like cleaning?"
Emma laughed, "Yes actually I find it theraputic. Some people find it strange to like cleaning foor other people, but it makes me happy in a weird sort of way."
"Oh." Anabel replied, "That makes sense. Well see ya." Anabel waved and dashed off to the bedrooms.

 

<center>* * *

 

As she was going to the bedrooms she bumped into Emmy.
"Come on Anabel!" She shouted, "There was an adoption notic for a girl my age!"
anabel smiled and started to run towards Martha's office alongside Emmy. When they got there Emmy ran up to the front of the room to stand with all of the other eligable girls.
"Hello girls!" Martha said, "I got an adoption notice that a couple wants a girl aged four or five. Molly did a background check and they seem like very nice people. They will be coming to meet you tommorow and will send for whoever they choose in the following weeks. All of the girls up front are to wear a dress and have their hair done. Everyone must be on their best behavior in case they decide to come back for an older girl or boy. They are willing to adopt up to two girls if they have applied to be adopted together. Now back to your chores."
with that everyone burst out of the room in excited chatter. Emmy caught up to Anabel,"Oh I might get adopted Anabel! Will you help me get ready?"
"Of course Emmy!" Replied Anabel, "We can put ribbon in your hair and you can wear your new dress you got!"
Emmy smiled and gave Anabel a hug before running up to her friends. Sarah and Greyson found her next, "It would be amazing if they came back for us three!" Sarah said dreamily.
Greyson laughed," They want up to two girls. Remeber?"
"Ya, I geuss. But still!"
Anabel laughed and Sarah and Greyson joined in. when they got to the boys floor they said goodbye to Greyson and Sarah and Anabel continued to their room. "Emmy is really excited about this," Anabel said as she sat on her bed. The walls had a fresh coat of blue paint and there was a blue area rug in the middle of the room.
"I'll bet." Sarah said as she twirled her hair, "Do you think anyone will ever adopt us Anabel?"
"Of course," Anabel stated, "Why wouldn't they?''
"Well two girls and a boy is a weird combination, and we aren't the ideal children."
Anabel laughed,"Sarah, we just have to wait for the perfect parents." Her tone started to sound dreamy, "I know that their out there somewhere. They love children and cat's, and cook the best food we will ever taste."
"Ya." Sarah said dreamily, "And they l
have a big house and backyard. The mom is pretty and the Dad is handsome."
"Hey guys!" Molly said breaking them out of her trance,"I know I'm not supposed to tell you guys about the background checks, but these people are amazing!"
Sarah and Anabel sat up,"Really?" Anabel asked
"Yep!" Molly said, "But I can't tell you anything else. You'll see tomorow."
Sarah, Anabel, And Molly all stood up and headed to dinner.

 

<center>* * *

 

Anabel, Sarah, And molly went downstairs to the dining room where lasagna and bread were covering the middle of the tables and salad and juice were at every place. Everyone took seats with their friends and began digging in. Every plate was piled high with lasanga and salad and every juice glas was filled. This was the custom whenever someone was going to be adopted.
"Mmm" Sarah said as she took another heaping bite.
Everyone at the table nooded in agreement and continued to take forkfuls. Nettle purred at Greyson's feet as she lapped at milk and ate bits of turkey meat. Her tag jingled as she circled the table. Martha sat at the haed of the table smiling as everyone devoured the meal. hen everyone was done she called to Anabel, "Anabel! Come help me carry the dessert?"
Anabel rose and walked to the kitchen where Martha was standing by a platter of bowls. In each bowl was a generous helping of chocolate peppermint moose covered in whipped cream. Anabel gasped and grabbe a platter and walked into the dining room. Everyone looked up from putting their dishes into the cart that would be wheeled into the kitchen and their eyes grew wide. Everyone hurried to sit down and Sarah cleared Anabel's place. Then Anabel and Martha handed out the moose.
Everyone's bowl was empty within seconds."How does she do it without a magic wand!" Greyson exclaimed as he licked every drop from his spoon and bowl. Everyone laughed and Martha smiled,
"I'm glad you like it." She said, "The recipe is my grandmother's actually." Everyone nodded and licked their bowls clean. No one made a move to put away the dishes. A little boy name Kaleb was the first to stand up. Everyone reluctantly followed with Martha at the end, she had a wide grin on her face as she started to help all of the children to clean up the dining room,"Bats for the little ones tonight," She announced, "Older children straighten up and put out outfits for any of the eligible adoptee's. You all need a good rest." With that all of the smaller girls were shooed from the room and the rest of the children went to straighten up.

 

<center>* * *

 

The next morning Emmy came into Anabel's room with a wide smile and her new dress. She held out some silk ribbon that matched her green dress,"Martha handed out ribbon for us to tie our hair with!"
Anabel smiled as she clipped her hair back into a half ponytail and brushed out her bangs. "That's pretty Emmy. We should get started."
Anabel sat Emmy down on the floor and started to brush her long black hair. She sectioned it into pigtails and braided in the ribbon. Sarah had another little girl, Caroline, at her feet and was doing the same. When the two went to the mirror they jumped up and down squealing before running to hug Sarah and Anabel.
"Oh thank you Anabel! I look so pretty!" Emmy shouted as she hugged Anabel tighter and tigher. Greyson peeked his head into the room and laughed whe he saw Emmy and Anabel,
"Come on Emmy, Anabel's turning purple!" He laughed,"Martha wants you girls downstairs for breakfast."
Emmy let go of Anabel and dragged her down the stairs. Sarah was close behind with Caroline. On the table there were boxes of cereal, milk, sausage, bacon, and eggs. No one wasted any time in scarfing down their breakfast and getting to chores.
Anabel went with Molly to help organize all of the excited four and five year olds into a line while Sarah and other girls cleaned up in the dining room and kitchen. All of the boys had to clean their rooms and put away toys and books. Martha straightened up the girls bedrooms befolre coming downstairs, "Anabel! Molly!" she shouted, "You have to stay with all of these little children, and when the Carsons come you will help with any of the girls who have o return to their rooms."
What Martha really meant was that Molly and Anabel had to help comfort any girls who didn't get through the first choosing. They nodded and sone of the girls smiles slipped. When everyone was ready Martha started reading them a story. In the middle of the story there was a knock at the door.

 

 

 

[PB]

 

 

 

 

 

 

<center>*Choosing a girl*

 

 

 

Martha opened the door, and standing there was a smiling couple. The lady had a cheery smile, not at all like Mrs. Richardson's, and the man wasn't wearing a scowl. The woman was wearing a red blouse and a navy pencil skirt. She had curly blond hair that fell to her hips. The man had a black suit coat and kakhi slacks with a yellow shirt. Martha stepped aside and the two walked in.
"Hello!" Martha said to the couple, and then turned to the children, "These are the Carsons. Now don't judge them based on our past...encounter."
All of the children nodded in silence. Mrs. Carson spoke, adressing the line of girls, "I want to get to know each of you, and then take a few for lunch. You are all wonderful children, we just need  a special kind of child."
All of the girls nodded and shuffled their feet. Emmy was the only one still looking up and smiling. There wasn't a single sign of fear in her eyes and her smile hadn't even slipped an inch. Mr. Carson leaned over and said something into his wife's ear and she nodded. She walked up to Emmy and crouched down, "Hi there. I'm Mrs. Carson, obviously, what's your name?"
"Emmy!" Emmy said without a waver in her voice.
"Would you like to come to lunch Emmy?" Mrs. Carson said, still smiling.
Emmy looked down, and suddenly seemed afraid. When she looked up she had tears in her eyes, "Do you pinky promise not to grab me and throw me in a car." Emmy held out her pinky and Mrs. Carson didn't even hesitate as she took her pinky and looked into Emmy's eyes,
"Pinky promise" she said. And with that they were out the door with Emmy jabbering away. Anabel felt a tug on her arm and looked down to see Caroline with tears streaming down her cheeks,
"I'm not gonna get picked am I Anabel?" she whispered.
Anabel pulled her into a hug as she said, "Of course you will, just not today. It's always better to wait a long time for someone perfect than to take the first thing you see and ending up regretting it."
Caroline smiled and she started walking upstairs to her room.

 

<center>* * *

 

When Emmy walked through the door she was holding a giant lolipop and smiling. Martha came up and asked,"How was it?"
"We think Emmy is just the kind of girl we want, and we would love to adopt her."Mr. Carson said as he put his hand on Emmy's shoulder. Martha smiled and led the couple into her office. All of the orphans crowded Emmy and were hugging her and she was smiling immposibly huge. Then a small straggly rather violent little boy with a sneer came up to Emmy and said sarcasticly,
"Oh Emmy! How lucky! Another set of parents to abandon you!" then normally he said, "Face it little girl, nobody loves you. Your just gonna end up back here in the end. Cut your losses and quit now. At this Emmy burst out in taers and ran upstairs. Anabel shot the little boy a look that made even him whimper before running up to find Emmy crying on a bed.
"Emmy?" anabel whispered
Emmy looked up, her eyes rimmed with red, "Ya?"
"You ok?"
"Am I really just gonna end up back here?"
"Of course not!"
Anabel took Emmy's hand and brought her downstairs where the Carsons and Martha were waiting. Martha was scolding the little boy, Jimmy, and Mr Carsons eyeslit up when he saw Emmy, "Emmy! Are you ready to come with us tomorrow, or do you want longer?"
Emmy looked around at all of the faces smiling at her, and her eyes landed on Jimm. Despite his scow, his eyes held a tugging sense of want. Emmy walked over and hugged Jimmy leaving a shocked expression on his face before she turned to the Carsons," I would go with you right now if I could!"
The room was enveloped in cheers as the Carsons hugged Emmy before she was pulled into a bear hug by Martha. After it was quiet Mrs. Carsn turned to Anabel, Sarah, and Greyson,"I talked to our close friends the Benders and they are interested in adopting you." Mr. arson pulled Emmy close before continuing for his  wife, "They want to see you tommorow, and you would see Emmy a plenty lot."
The room was filled once again with cheers and even Jimmy was smiling

 

 

© 2010 Call Me Blu


Author's Note

Call Me Blu
ignore any typos, and Emmy is not the same as Emma

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on December 28, 2010
Last Updated on December 28, 2010

Author

Call Me Blu
Call Me Blu

At the end of the rainbow



About
Im on twitter! Add me, Thecookie1998! You don't hafta, but watevsers. My name is hannah and I'm only twelve but I've been through alot. Bad friends, bad people. I got my second chance on here and I ho.. more..

Writing
Ugly Ugly

A Poem by Call Me Blu