Fall

Fall

A Poem by H.L. Cerveise



Fall

As hot summer closes cooling fall begins.
It sounds like the hollow bells of the coming winter.
A riot of color starts to coat the trees on the mountain as the days get shorter.
Fall crocuses emerge from the warm ground and relish the soft nights.
They stretch thin slender petals as they reach for the fading sunlight.

The waters of the lake often now are warmer than the air above.
As a slight breeze hits my face, I feel its crisp dry fingers caress my cheeks.
In the morning, a mist rises from the still calm surface.
The mug of tea feels so warm against my fingers as I hold it.
I sip it and savor its flavor as I survey all that is around me.

All that is fall comes to my settling mind.
The farmer who is now harvesting the last crops of the year.
I can smell the grapes and the apples when I close my eyes.
With them still closed I can smell the cooking pumpkin pie in the oven.
The air around me smells different than it did a few weeks ago.

Yes fall heralds the ending of summer and the beginning of winter.
Even so, there is much to this season that refreshes my soul.
I can look back at this year and remember the good things about it.
I will also try to forget those moments that were not so good.
My spirit senses that this ending means the promise of a new year.

© 2016 H.L. Cerveise


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A amazing poem for the change of the seasons. I like the change of seasons. Thank you my friend for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


H.L. Cerveise

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and reviewing this writing. The seasons hit me so poetically often and this wa.. read more
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Me too. Each season had a different feel and you are welcome.
Love it!
Great write for fall!
Keep it up!

Posted 7 Years Ago


H.L. Cerveise

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading my poem.
Once again, amazing imagery. I love how you're not one of those poets who focuses on rhyme but instead pays attention to the elegance of the poem as a whole. Well done.

-William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


H.L. Cerveise

7 Years Ago

Thank you again for letting me know you enjoy my writings. When I write a poem or short story, I see.. read more
I very much LOVE all the various details you've chosen to paint this autumn scenario. I am also very much in tune with AIR -- the way it feels, the way it changes with the seasons -- so I love these words especially. You've selected a wide variety of observations to give us autumn from many angles. I often want to cook a turkey dinner with all the trimmings, long before Thanksgiving . . . the first signs of fall make me long for a big family dinner of sharing & love. Your poem stirs all these things in a person.

Posted 8 Years Ago


H.L. Cerveise

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review of my poem. It is knowing that my writings have an impact on the r.. read more
A good poem, sir. Remembering the good things of the past and forgetting the not so good ones, a great idea and very veracious and beneficial if applied to real life.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 10, 2016
Last Updated on August 8, 2016

Author

H.L. Cerveise
H.L. Cerveise

Penn Yan, NY



About
I am a computer consultant and creative writer. I should also tell you a number of my writings are inspired by on-line encounters I have in virtual worlds of various natures. Often these worlds spill .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


"A Homecoming" "A Homecoming"

A Story by richieb