Breaking News

Breaking News

A Story by H.L. Pauff

The jingle played and the graphics flashed across the screen as Jack Taylor’s smooth voice filled the kitchen with his trademark opening. “Good morning everyone, breaking news…”

 

“Don’t cook them too long,” his son warned.

 

Phil cursed under his breath after burning his fingers on the skillet. He used to love the morning. It wasn’t because of the news or Jack’s voice. Most of Jack’s lead stories were sensationalist like “Russian red pen invasion?” anway. He missed the quiet of the house after his wife and son had left for the day. Getting his son up and ready for school was a headache.

 

“Dad, I’m going to be late!”

 

Phil flipped the eggs onto a plate and rushed them in front of his son.

 

“Michelle, tell us again what you know,” Jack’s baritone boomed.

 

“Good morning, Jack,” a female voice said. “Hundreds are feared dead as the Colston Bridge collapsed into the water a mere hour ago. A direct path to and from the airport, the bridge…”

 

As the carnage appeared on the screen, the coffee mug slipped from Phil’s hand, shattering on the floor.

 

“Dad, these eggs taste like rubber!” his son groaned. “When is mom coming home?”

© 2012 H.L. Pauff


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You say so much in so little space...

The cup shattering on the floor told the whole story. Everything built up to that.
Your work is never anything but excellent.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
1 Review
Added on October 14, 2012
Last Updated on October 14, 2012
Tags: flash fiction

Author

H.L. Pauff
H.L. Pauff

About
Writing my heart out. Find me on twitter: @hlpauff more..

Writing