The Expiriences I Have Cherished

The Expiriences I Have Cherished

A Story by Lexi Nicole
"

Rewind the clocks/ Step back in time/ To a day when I/ Was filled with pride

"

These are the experiences I have cherished.”

 

Rewind the clocks,
step back in time
to a day when I
was filled with pride.

 

                                July 17th, 2001.

 

A normal day at camp. After sitting in a circle making lanyards, the counselor explains to us how squirrels eat their nuts. They don’t have opposable thumbs like we do. “Do you think it would be hard to eat like that?” she asks, and we all look at each other, mumbling and nodding. “Let’s go see.”

 

She tells us all to grab a partner, because we’re going into the woods and we can’t be alone. My best friend and I grab each other’s hands faster than any of the other girls. We skip outside happily, on the lookout for squirrels. We hope to be lucky enough to see one nibbling its lunch so that we can imitate it properly. We get to the camp’s dirt driveway and are ready to cross into the woods when a car pulls up. I recognize it. My friend looks confused. “It’s my grandpa,” I tell her and we look back to the car to see him climbing out.

 

He has a big smile spread across his face- the ear-to-ear kind of smile that shows someone has reached the epitome of happiness. He marches up to me, a kind of bounce in his steps. “What’s going on?” I ask and, if possible, his grin grows wider.

 

“Congratulations,” he tells me. “You’re a big sister.”

 

I jump up and hug him, then turn and hug my friend. Then I run to the car- I don’t think I could have run any faster than that- and hop in the passenger seat, waving goodbye to everyone and not even caring that I was leaving camp early. The only thing on my mind is meeting my new brother. Grandpa drives straight to the hospital, and we go right to Mom’s room. She and Dad take us down the nursery. Tyler is asleep. He was born premature. I tell Mom he was tiny enough to wear my doll’s clothes. She laughs and agrees with him. After a while of presses our faces against the window of the nursery we head back to Mom’s room. As the excitement of the day settles down I suddenly realize something…

 

I never did get to eat a nut like a squirrel.

 

 

When you c-r-i-e-d, I’d wipe away all of your tears
When you’d
scream, I’d fight away all of your fears
And I
held your hand through all of these years
But you still haveall of me
__My Immortal, Evanescence~~

 

                                August 8th, 2009

 

           “Are there any singers here tonight?”

 

                                She walks up to me, nervous, and pulls me aside. She’s wringing her hands, shifted her weight between her feet. She looks up and asks if she can sing a song for me. It took all my willpower not to cry when I hugged her and, holding hands, we walked over to the DJ. He shows her what he has and she picks the song- My Immortal- and he hands her the microphone. She calls for everyone’s attention. They stand in anticipation.

 

                                When the music starts I grab her hand. She squeezes mine and starts to sing. The music flows through her, as if it’s become a part of her. Her voice is powerful, reaching across my backyard. Her nerves, however, don’t know about these facts. Her hand is shaking in mine. I squeeze her, and when the music pauses she glances at me. We give each other small smiles and she keeps on singing.

 

                                Her voice rises over the music coming from the DJ’s speakers. I’m pretty sure the angels in heaven can hear her as she belts out the next verse. The chorus builds up inside of her and when she opens her mouth the words set themselves free.

 

                                When the song is over, my other friends clap for her. I turn to her and we share one of the biggest bear hugs we’ve ever had. I don’t think either of us wanted to let go, but eventually we did.

 

                                When we met way back when in kindergarten, I don’t think either of us expected the friendship to last this long. But I know we’re both happy it did. I’m proud to call her my best friend. She is like the sister I never had, and I can’t imagine what my life would be without her.

 

                                I don’t think anyone else’s sweet sixteen could possibly be as special as mine.

 

 

These are the experiences I have cherished.”
Fin.

 

© 2009 Lexi Nicole


Author's Note

Lexi Nicole
1- I still want to eat a nut like a squirrel...
2- I love you Aveira <3
Another theology reflection. The photo is my own. Comments appreciated :3

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful wonderful story that was very heartwarming and touching. Love the meaning you put into this and how well you wrote it. I enjoyed every bit of it. Great job :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
This is a wonderful story of sentiment! Provokes thoughts of memories I do so cherish. Keep up the Outstanding works of art

Posted 14 Years Ago


Whoa! such powerful emotion penned out
Brought me to tears.
Very well written and expressed.
This is amazing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I am seriously wiping away tears!....this is amazing!...The friendship you share with Aveira is obviously very special, you are both lucky!....
You did a great job with sharing these perfect memories with the world, i cant think of a better way to pay tribute to a friend!!!

thanks for sharing;)


Posted 14 Years Ago


*glomps* I'm seriously crying right now and beaming like an idiot. I LOVE YOU. Seriously, bestfriend/sister/otherhalf MY HOWLIE.
I love you too by the way ^_^
Also-- AMAZING. Really awesome idea. :D

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

386 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 13, 2009
Last Updated on October 13, 2009

Author

Lexi Nicole
Lexi Nicole

NY



About
Live. Love. Write. I'm 20 years old. I've been writing since I was 4. Writing is more than just a hobby. It's my passion, my drug, my therapy and my life. twitter.com/snarkvenger iaintbegginw.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Smiles Smiles

A Poem by Tate Morgan