These Convictions I Have Lived By

These Convictions I Have Lived By

A Poem by Lexi Nicole
"

I know who I am and no one and nothing can change me.

"

“These convictions I have lived by.”


I am a raging river. An unstoppable force.
I’m stubborn and hardheaded.
I stand up for what I believe in.
I know who I am and no one and nothing can change me.

              

I live by a code.


“The past is the past. It’s over, done with. No matter what truth we find it’s not going to change the present.”


It’s a quote from a video game I’ve only ever read about. I’ve never been so good at playing video games, so that combined with the fact that I don’t own the console needed for the game is a pretty decent explanation for why I’ve never played it. But I found that quote when I was going through quotes from that game’s series one day and I haven’t been able to get it out of my head since. I guess it’s because those are the words I’ve always had in my heart. I just never knew they’d been spoken before.


There aren’t any truer words than those. The past is gone, and we’re not getting it back. Dwelling on it is just a waste of the time you have now. Be there for the people you love now instead of wondering where other people who used to be in your life disappeared to. Hold tight to the friends you have now, listen to them when they compliment you. Don’t think about the negative aspects of your being any other person may have pointed out to you. (those who matter don’t care and those who care don’t matter).


Love now. Love can get you hurt, but it can also build you up, and make you stronger. So love with all your heart, even if it is in a few little pieces. Keep loving and those tiny fragments will fit themselves back together again. But if you’re too scared to love, they’ll just stay scattered on the floor forever. Don’t be afraid. (to the world you might be just one person, but to one person you might be the world).


Laugh often. It is the best medicine after all. Lift your heavy heart with jokes. Those little moments that you have you rolling on the floor, with tears streaming from your eyes- those are going to be the moments you remember. They can take the place of those haunting, hurting memories if you let them. (hold your head -->high heavy heart).


Speak your mind. God gave you a voice for a reason. Say what you want to say and don’t think about what anyone else will think of you. If anything, they should all respect you for the courage that carried your words off of your tongue. If they don’t, that’s ok. Maybe they’re just too close-minded to understand.


Have no regrets. Whatever you did, it was what you wanted at the time. You had some kind of a reason behind your actions or words. If you’ve taken a wrong step or spoken wrong words there is nothing you can do to erase the mistake. You can only learn from it. Don’t look back on those moments and think “Why?”. Look back on them and think “I’ll be better now.”.


“These convictions I have lived by.”

© 2010 Lexi Nicole


Author's Note

Lexi Nicole
Well, I haven't posted anything in a while and I figured "Hey, why not?"
This is another one of those reflections for my theology class. I actually wasn't expecting it to get this deep but I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Comments and crit always welcome. :3

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Absolutely true. Your point on these subjects, are exactly the way I feel. Nice work, and it shows. Your poetry is awesome! Let bye-gones be bye-gones. Live for the moment, before it disappears, I always say! Loved this!
GB:D

Posted 14 Years Ago


...what video game is that quote from? Gosh it's driving me insane now xD I feel like I've heard it before.

Anyway, as always with the stuff you give us from your theology class, I loved it. the "The Academy Is..." quote suits you well, don't forget it.

I have to do one of these things one of these days xD

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1465 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 4, 2010
Last Updated on January 4, 2010

Author

Lexi Nicole
Lexi Nicole

NY



About
Live. Love. Write. I'm 20 years old. I've been writing since I was 4. Writing is more than just a hobby. It's my passion, my drug, my therapy and my life. twitter.com/snarkvenger iaintbegginw.. more..

Writing