These Things I Have Lived For

These Things I Have Lived For

A Poem by Lexi Nicole
"

Writing. Music. Family. Friends.

"

“These things I have lived for.”


Writing.
The pen on the paper, ink scratching line after line, words forming sentences forming paragraphs that morph into a story. Years spent perfecting the art, honing the skills, learning the ropes, so to speak. Delving into different genres and styles of poetry and prose alike. Even a little bit of music. It’s not a hobby, not something to do to pass the time, it’s a way of life. It’s just as important as the air that I breath, just as needed as the heart that beats in my chest.


“I build each one of my songs
Out of --glass
So you can see me inside them,
I suppose.”
-Overlap, Ani DiFranco


Music.
The flowing instrumentals the vocals that melt into the sound of the guitar or piano or whatever happens to be backing them up. Lyrics that speak directly to the soul. Being able to sit and sing and not care who is listening. Being able to sit with a guitar in my hands and not care if it’s just the slightest bit out of tune or if I miss a note. Just being able to sit inside the music, live inside a song. Being able to let the music fill me and make me whole.


“I will sing
And you will hear me
And join the chorus
So we can /start/ again.”
-Sing, The Classic Crime


Family.
The ones who are there, whether I want them there or not. The people who matter. The people who love me no matter what I do, who stand by my side when no one else will, the ones who I love unconditionally no matter what. We set aside the fights and the dark times and we pull each other into the light. They taught me how to follow my dreams, how to set goals and reach them. They make houses feel like homes, and in the end they’re all I really need.


“So, I’m going home
Back to the place where I belong
And where your �"love has always been enough for me.”
Home, Daughtry


Friends.
Those sisters and brothers that God forgot to give me, the angels without wings. They make me laugh until I cry, they let me know I’m never alone, they stand next to me holding my hand when everything around me is falling apart. They see me drifting back into darkness and they always reach out to save me. They’re always prepared with something to say, or a song to share. They don’t let me give up on my dreams, they push me and make me strive for more. We get on each others’ nerves and then, hours later, there we are, together again, laughing again, like nothing ever even happened.


“We’ve got more than we �"know-
My friends are a different breed
My friends are everything.”
-Vegas, All Time Low


Mom. Dad. Tyler. Grandma. Grandpa. Nanny. Angela. Erin. MK. Veronica. Taylor. Kerri. Kathy.


“Who can say if I’ve been c-h-a-n-g-e-d for the better
(I do believe I have been changed for the better)
And…
Because I knew you
Because I knew you
I have been changed
for good.”
-For Good, from Wicked


“These things I have lived for.”

© 2010 Lexi Nicole


Author's Note

Lexi Nicole
Yeah, it's another reflection for my theology class. I'm sorry these are basically all you're getting from me lately. I have other things I just don't have the time to type them up. I hope you guys enjoy this, though. :3

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

:'D

I loved it, I always like these reflections, they're deep. Great work as usual, I love all the song quotes you put in here. Can't wait for more~

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 1, 2010
Last Updated on February 1, 2010

Author

Lexi Nicole
Lexi Nicole

NY



About
Live. Love. Write. I'm 20 years old. I've been writing since I was 4. Writing is more than just a hobby. It's my passion, my drug, my therapy and my life. twitter.com/snarkvenger iaintbegginw.. more..

Writing