Diamonds and Petals

Diamonds and Petals

A Story by Lexi Nicole
"

She pressed that single ruby into the ground, a splash of color on the bleak canvas of this world.

"

The moon was like a spotlight on that solemn slab of granite. It settled into the crevices of the words so carefully and expertly carved into the stone and made the whole thing shine like a diamond. She ran one finger alone the letters, tracing the words as they fell off her lips. She must have been a strange site there- a mourner dressed in a white summer dress, a griever lacking tears, a beautiful dove where you could only find crows. Her words flowed in a gentle, low voice- not quite a whisper, not quite not. Her hand was poised on the stone as though someone else was holding it.

               

“Hi, June.” Emma spoke as though someone might actually respond. “Tonight’s lovely. I’m sure it looks even better from where you are.”

               

She raised her eyes to the heavens, scanning the velvet lining of the sky for the one bright jewel she found every night. She fiddled with the ring on her left hand, sliding it up and down her finger. She always imaged that that beautiful ring, which had once rested on the hand of the ghost she was conversing with, had once been one of those dazzling stars, and that by some miracle it had fallen down to the earth and become an elegant testimony of love. She shared these thoughts with June, somehow knowing that the other woman would agree.

               

“Charlie misses you terribly. He doesn’t want me to see him crying, but I know that he does. You can see it in his eyes, can’t you? He thinks he can hide it, but I think that tears somehow form his strength.” Emma ceased toying with her ring, allowing it to sit simply and adorn her finger with its delicate beauty. She rested her hands in her lap as she lowered her gaze back to the stone. “I know you watch over him. I think he knows it, too. Sometimes I think he sees you in the folds of the curtain or in the middle of the sun. I hope you see how happy he’s made me. He’s really something special, June. You should be proud of him.”

               

Emma reached into the pocket of her dress, fishing for the petals she had plucked from her garden that morning. The sun had been high when she’d ventured outdoors, and when she was bent over her roses she felt it sweetly kissing her neck. She could still feel that tender touch, warm like Charlie’s. She tossed the petals over the plot, watching the green grass brighten against the deep red of a flower’s remnants.

              

“I would have brought you flowers, but Charlie said the petals were all you would want. I suppose the thorns are simply too dreadful to bring to you.” Emma sighed, fingering one of the petals as though it were glass, carefully turning it over and letting it drift onto her palm. “I know you’ve never met me,” she said. “But I do hope you’re watching. I hope you see how happy Charlie and I have been. I’ll take care of him, June. He’s one of the good ones, and I know you’re proud. I promise, I’ll be here for him.”

               

She pressed that single ruby back into the dirt- a splash of color on the bleak canvas of this world. She slowly rose to her feet, smoothing out the wrinkles on her dress.

               

“I’ll take care of him for you,” she whispered. She lingered just a moment longer, feeling a change in the air, a soft breeze that seemed to sweep over only her. She turned then, seeing him- her Charlie- waiting with his back against the car. She smiled and went to him, pulling him into her embrace the minute she was close enough.

              

“You didn’t have to do that,” was all he said to her.

              
 
“I know,” was her reply.

© 2010 Lexi Nicole


Author's Note

Lexi Nicole
Just a quick little something. Yes I am a sap. Comments and crit appreciated :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

SOBBING! this is beautiful!! I would say expand it, but I almost think it's perfect the way it is; short, sweet, and leaves gaps for reader interpretation. wonderful!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree with your friend Aveira....expand...i want to know more!!
it does stand alone though...makes me draw my own conclusions, and invent the parts i dont know to suit me...
Great job you sap you...:)!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Your word choice in this was stunning, the colors and feelings- great work. I think you might've had one typo in the first or second paragraph, I'm not sure which, but just look it over in case :3 I really loved this one, you should expand, it'd make a great story :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2010
Last Updated on August 15, 2010

Author

Lexi Nicole
Lexi Nicole

NY



About
Live. Love. Write. I'm 20 years old. I've been writing since I was 4. Writing is more than just a hobby. It's my passion, my drug, my therapy and my life. twitter.com/snarkvenger iaintbegginw.. more..

Writing