Mount ever resting

Mount ever resting

A Story by harrison
"

WSA Story about a frozen earth without the sun and a family of 3 searching for the warm feeling of personal success than the heat that surround the earth because it doesn't exist.

"

“I’m so cold”, I feel like we could never be as warm as before or after this risky venture attempted and failed by so many. Even with success of a selected few makes me wonder if we are made to decide our own life entrance and exits though experience and personal amusement, which is why we must reach our highest point to reassure ourselves of the warm feeling of success, even if it means sacrifices have to be made. Everyone agrees it’s been too long since we’ve felt warmth. The sun can no longer supply heat to the world making global temperature recline dramatically making the earth appear white and frozen like a little snow globe, only not so little. As a race we’ve found ways to survive living underground to make the world seem darker then it already is but as humans, we try to get as much as we can, and push the envelope until to the point where we know what and where everything is. Well that’s not what they told my team and me. They just said we could be in modern history, and credit as the fist climbers to reach the new highest point in this new period of endless night. We saw a way to accomplish something no one to date wouldn’t dare to try. My Family of experienced climbers in today’s time or actually tonight’s time knows the climb has taken many lives even before the cold condition’s of the world slowly froze over. But we couldn’t refuse the opportunity to be known in history before history itself became non-existent like the feeling of warmth our sun used to bless all of us with it caused happiness, adversity, and wisdom to all of us since I can remember. Now this climb is not only for our recognition, but to feel the warm feeling of success and happiness that we used to always feel with the sun that no longer exists in the world we live in.

 

            Each day gets colder and harder to see, I grow tired and uneasy with the winds picking up little portions of rocks, knocking me off balance most of the way to our first camp sight. I see footprints of past attempts going in both directions of toward and away from us. Being Openly exposed to the mountains conditions were already starting to become an issue for only traveling 10 to 20 miles up the ridge of frozen boulders and broken stairs. With just three people including myself my sister and two brothers I felt secure that we were going to accomplish this venture. But we knew that this climb is unforgivable and I wasn’t sure if this climb would make me realize the consequences of my mistakes of involving all the family that we each have left. Part of me wasn’t aware of the almost certain possibility of death, but another part felt as if it was for the cause for that warm feeling of success. As for myself I need to think for the best and trust my family has enough to make it not only through this monstrous accomplishment but also for the times after, so subsided decided to sleep. Awoken by my brother Marcus making breakfast with a dug up fire in our oversized tent that my other brother Gordon. If it wasn’t for there tough brotherly support I don’t know what my other sister and I would do. Really there the ones that taught me how to climb, our parents were all American mountain and rock climbers until they finally met there match on a following mountain in Yellowstone Yosemite where there line snapped then fell and just as soon as the sun was gone they were to. Marcus tells me not to worry but its hard not to when u see nothing but cold unforgiving conditions that could make you meet the same fate as our loved ones. But it’s a new day every twelve hours that’s how we calculate between day and night but condition’s change you u can usually tell when or not to continue, we got 3 more camp sites to go and I pray we make it all in one piece. On our way

            Nothing is how it used to be, no sun, no flowers, no trees. Just frozen rivers and extinction of animals. It makes me wonder if us as humans doomed ourselves from the start. Why did it go? Not only our resources are gone but our will too survive. People never will see the brighter side of the day anymore. I feel this darkness inside of all of us, its like all of our darkest fears came out to rule the world with no way to stop them. People couldn’t live to see the day after the sun was no more, I remember playing outside and feeling the sun on my face and feeling welcomed by life with open arms where everyone can relate to and rely on for feeling warm in this cold world. Now I cant go outside without multiple jackets and gloves and I still feel cold like no one cares about how I feel and leave me to die alone. I’m scared of the dark because of what it brings.  And because of how I cant see tomorrow without light in this dark world. When night struck for the first time it wasn’t anything I would forget. People questioned, prayed, and waited for something to come back that wed surely never see again. Anger and crime rose within the people around the world because the darkness had consumed everything inside of this planet leaving it in the middle of the dark place we call the universe. Never will I forget the sun. Never will I forget the warm feeling of acceptation that it will forever influence me with. Never will I forget you darkness nor will I ever let you consume the rest of me and become nothing.

            The second campsite was a destination that I thought id never see coming after walking for twelve more hours up the mountain seeing the wind condition’s pick up and worsen also increased the pressure and suspicion of this last climb, Marcus basically led the way in front and the rest of us were hooked on by each other so we had more of a weight that could sustain the short section of walking before we had to do the biggest challenge for all of us which was actually glacier climbing this beast.  But I grow worrisome as my sister summer grew uncertain about this idea, I told her its just like mom taught that us and shortly only made her more uneasy and upset. But it’s to late to turn around before we knew it a glacier was in front of us marking the halfway mark of this trip. We all grip our ice picks and axes into this glacier and slowly dig up and up shortly after were halfway up, the wind starts to pick up and make it uneasy for Marcus to help support all of us, Marcus pulls us up about the rest of the way up helping myself Gordon and lastly Summer up, then all it took was one gust of wind. Summer was shockingly looking at the bottom of which we just came from then unknowingly of the condition’s of the ice slips off the edge holding on for her life and before we could get my hand out the ice segment broke apart. I looked her in her crying eyes as she sunk to the bottom of the snow like the rest of the mountains victim’s. My worst nightmare had became a harsh reality, summer was the youngest, and least experienced even our parents knew that but didn’t want her to feel any different between the rest of us. Her lack of experience was the cause of her death and now again this warm feeling we’ve agreed to find now only seems to get colder. My heart broken, like my legs as we reached the second campsite morning of my sisters unexpected shortly lived, death. This trip has cost me a bigger loss so far more then to gain. I’m done questioning all I can do is hope we feel acceptance for this loss. Marcus and Gordon want to go back and I do to more than anything but we all know that it wouldn’t be worth it for anyone if we just quit so we didn’t.

This night felt different, the winds blew extra heavy, and none of us could sleep with this empty space in the tent that once was filled by my sister. It sounds like the world knew what I had lost but couldn’t really do anything to make us feel any remorse for it. I’m literally dying from the inside out, my heart wants to quit beating and my mind wont stop me from thinking, I always loved her and our parents did too, well they loved all of us but they had a itch for Summer. She was born in august the month before fall where the entire tree leaves change colors; she never changed though, she was always the same uptown, hip girl that was really nothing but a sweet kind person she watched me grow up and I watched her grow up. I feel now the darkness has conquered me, making me reduced to nothing but a body with barely a pulse to continue on towards the top, “I cant go on” I told myself. Twelve hours pass away and I feel as frozen as the snow below the tent. No one moves.

“Do we continue on?” says Gordon.

As we hear our alarm go off. But still, no answer from Marcus and myself. I feel lost I said. “Well wasn’t this trip to feel “found” so to speak?” Said Gordon.

“Yes it is but this mountain has claimed a life that it shouldn’t have and I feel even more lost then before Gordon”

 I said. “Listen I know your upset but what was the meaning of this trip? She knew the consequences and sadly she made a mistake that costed her life,” said Gordon.

 I was balling my eyes out; I couldn’t look or go outside. I knew if I continued it could mean more lives taken. I had to make a decision because I knew that they would agree, and follow considering they followed me to the most dangerous climb in the world. I told them the risks. I just don’t think they really knew the costs and I didn’t know myself. I cleared my eyes still crying, told am “lets finish this not just for ourselves but, for summers death”

  we agreed. So we all packed up and kept going up to the top. I can’t see ahead of me, these winds are slicing edges of rock on the sides of us. I can sense we charting into unknown land I see no footprints of pervious climbers, I really see no right way to go. We reach the last camp shortly after leaving the last, which is good so it gives me more time to think and regain some of my energy. Each step I take I think of the feeling I get once we don’t need to walk anymore and the top is reached. Will I feel the feeling I once felt thinking to myself with it be worth it for all of this. Marcus and Gordon want to just keep going to the top saying that ‘it’ll be worth it”

 And “come on lets do it were like right here.”

 But part of me wasn’t ready to see what lay at the top then the other part of me was more then ready and wanted to scream at the top feeling accomplished and overwhelmed by the warm feeling of success and remorse. I told myself I needed it over and over again. My brothers thought it relieve a lot of pain for all of us. After another hour or so of walking, I had to have gave in considering that the top was relatively closer to the last campsite actually remotely close. Marcus and Gordon run up the last set of wooden stairs before they reached the snow cliff that was connected to the top part of the mountain overlooking our whole expedition. They came back down after looking around for a couple hours, I assume thinking about summer and just everything on this trip then I saw laughing and smiling on there face its like they transformed into new people. They seemed to be warm and carefree, I need that more then ever right now. Telling me “its my turn” after they return. The stairs looked everlasting from down here. Each step I took my heart sank deeper, and deeper gathering all the tension and pain I surrounded by myself by. I saw my sisters death, I saw the sun again, I saw my parents, until I reached the top of the snow cliff where I overlooked everything in the dark snowy horizon. And felt all my pain just ooze away from every opening in my body. Then I didn’t feel cold anymore and my tears went away. I felt at peace with myself. I felt everything that I mourned to feel. I just wish my sister could feel this same presence right by my side. Warm and welcoming just like you, Summer my amazing sister. You may rest.”   

© 2015 harrison


Author's Note

harrison
just read and the genre says it all

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on December 2, 2015
Last Updated on December 2, 2015
Tags: story, sad, dead, climb, sun, WSA writting

Author