Megacube

Megacube

A Story by BlueShadow

The blue sky covered the earth like a blanket hugging a child. It was a beautiful Tuesday morning with children screaming in laughter, trees swaying as if in agreement with the wind, and people going about their day as usual. People were happy with their lives and loved breathing in the cool, morning air and exhaling the fresh, evening breeze. Earth was so peaceful, quiet, and serene it was almost like a giant utopia. Earth was more fruitful and joyful than ever. People led happy and simple lives. There were fewer tragedies and misfortunes than ever before. The moon stood in the earth’s sky like always and the sun stood in everyone’s face as usual. Earth was full of comfort and happiness. Life was amazing.

At around six in the evening, people began to notice something unusual happening. The sun started to pulsate with energy and became smaller, then larger, then smaller in cycles that lasted around thirty seconds each. People were starting to panic because they knew something wasn’t right; the sun shouldn’t be changing size in cycles. However, as if on cue, the sun emitted a huge solar flare that knocked out Earth’s electricity satellites and caused a widespread blackout in New York City, America’s largest city at the time. 

New York City was a bustling, huge metropolitan city that beamed with people, shops, malls, restaurants, and skyscrapers. It was America’s most populous city and was the center of finance and commercial business. New York had more than ten million inhabitants and was always lit up at night. It never slept, so they say. When the solar flare happened, New York got the biggest impact. People there felt the electricity blow out and the skyscrapers suddenly lost power and people came to a halt and realized that there was no electricity whatsoever. New York came to a grinding screech.

Ms. Bloomfield happened to be one of those people who got impacted by the solar flare directly. Ms. Bloomfield was an elementary school English teacher who liked her job a lot and enjoyed the morning commute to and back from school. She really liked the feeling she got when she knew that a student finally understood something or when a child finally got the meaning and spelling of a word. Ms. Bloomfield liked her job and loved to teach students how to read, write, speak, and think in English. It was one of her favorite things in life, along with her dog, Max. The solar flare caused Ms. Bloomfield to be unable to go to her school job which caused her to stay at home and worry about how her class’s comprehension would be affected. Ms. Bloomfield went to her home and couldn’t turn on the television, the microwave, the lights in her rooms, or answer the telephone. She was in a state of despair without these basic necessities and realized she was better off sitting on her couch doing nothing rather than pouting. Ms. Bloomfield was anxious about her students’ progress. What would they do without her?

After fixing a broken television in a skyscraper’s office, Mr. Brown drove home from work and hopped onto the couch and started watching some good cable TV. As he was watching, the TV suddenly fell asleep which made Mr. Brown surprised. What on Earth happened? Mr. Brown went outside and noticed the sun had a black spot on its surface which made Mr. Brown think, Great, a solar flare. Mr. Brown then returned home and tried turning on the living room lights which didn’t work, and his own room’s lights which also didn’t work. Mr. Brown was an electrician who fixed anything that ran on any form of energy. He was good at his job and knew what to do. However, this solar flare caught him and others off guard. He knew there would be chaos. 

New York had a team of scientists and architects who worked on anything that required advanced mathematics, so it was appalling to them how the whole city could have gone without power. New York’s team was responsible for the maintaining of New York’s power, so they worked day and night to make sure everything in New York was running smoothly. Mr. Brown was on this team. 

After observing the breadth and depth of the magnitude of their problem, New York’s team of architects and scientists decided to build something no one ever did before. They named it “Megacube”. It was going to be a one mile high, one mile long, and one mile wide cube that was capable of absorbing the solar energy from the sun to prevent another accident like this from happening in the future again. Megacube was made of lithium and titanium which allowed it to conduct electricity very well and absorb heat well and transform it, too. Megacube was a wonder of an contraption. Only New York could build this, as they say. 

Megacube was built from the bottom up with each block of lithium and titanium being one ton and around twenty cubic yards. The cube was so large that they brought in cranes and numerous other people from neighboring cities to help this be built. Megacube was New York’s way of combatting the problem of a future solar flare and was designed to not be hurt by rain, lightning, or snow. Megacube was a behemoth of a building and was the culmination of the teamwork led by scientists, architects, and construction workers. It was going to be a wonder of a building. 

Once Megacube was built, people were in awe of the size, austere beauty, and function of this new building. Megacube was enormous and needed to be to protect New York from a future crisis. Megacube was aptly named since it was a huge, metal cube designed to help New York get back on its feet. Megacube was made so beautifully that people took pictures of it. It took three years to complete. 

Ms. Bloomfield finally got her electricity back after a year-long hiatus from work, and could finally go back to work where she was able to teach students English. She was so happy that Megacube was part of New York’s skyline and would never allow a catastrophe like the solar flare incident to happen ever again. Megacube protected New York thanks to Mr. Brown and helped people like Ms. Bloomfield get back on their feet again. Megacube was New York’s new iconic feature of its skyline.

© 2021 BlueShadow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

483 Views
Added on December 10, 2019
Last Updated on May 17, 2021
Tags: science, fiction, entertainment

Author

BlueShadow
BlueShadow

Gainesville, FL



About
Hello! I am a Korean-American man who wrote BlueShadow because I love the English language's look, sound, and feel. I loved writing BlueShadow because I love writing in general. In BlueShado.. more..

Writing
Word Collage Word Collage

A Chapter by BlueShadow