An Unfair Almost Fairy Tale

An Unfair Almost Fairy Tale

A Story by sandra
"

I think you may be able to imagine what happened right before I wrote this silliness.

"

Ever since Di-Di changed from caterpillar to moth, she was jealous of the butterfly. Butterflies just flitted through the air like tiny flying ballerinas while Di-Di loudly clunked around bumping in to things like a bumbling clown.

 

Butterflies were all beautiful and flamboyant like Tinkerbell with techno-colored wings. Instead she looked like David Bowie as the Goblin King. And it wasn't fair! When that duckling was ugly, she turned out to be a swan but it just wasn't happening for Di-Di that way. She probably needed magic. She HAD to find it.  Di-Di JUST WANTED TO BE A BUTTERFLY!

 

Butterflies got to flit around in the sunlight drinking sweet dew off of pretty little flowers. While Di-Di bounced around in the dark searching for light and the the answer to her undeniable longing for old fabric. She tried coming out in daylight but her eyes hurt and the taste of the flower juice made her throw up just a little bit in her mouth.  


Di-Di had been so sure that that was where the magic was, but it was just too gross. She just couldn't stomach it. What could she do? She couldn't help but head over to another garden and lunch on some undies hanging on their railing. So what if she gave the owner a little extra air conditioning, it would be hot soon.

 

One night, while flying around hoping for one of those stupid humans to open a door, she spotted a light on in a house that looked particularly sparkly. Di-Di flew up higher to get a closer look and almost bumped into the railing of their terrace when she saw what was inside. 


Hanging on a long rail along the ceiling were bunches and bunches of rainbow tutus! There were so many colors that Di-Di thought she would turn into a butterfly just looking at them. The material was so sparkly and special looking. So wispy you may even think that they weren't there. 


"They MUST have MAGIC!", Di-Di thought.

 

Oh the joy! Oh the exhilaration! OH THE HUMANITY! If she could just get in those doors and sink her teeth into some of that colorful material, it would surely go through her body and transform her into a beautiful butterfly! 

 

Well, sure enough, the dumb human opened the sliding doors even though it is well known that if you do that at night, a moth WILL fly in. Well our little miss clunky Di-Di did just that. She flew right in. 


The silly human saw her immediately and gave chase. But moths can be tricky. Though they do not own a graceful fiber in their being, they are quite elusive, as was our moth on this night.

 

She bumbled around their dining room while the two legged giant chased her, shoe in hand. The moth rested on the ceiling where she knew the silly human would never be able to reach her.

 

She had to stay there out of reach until miss biddy body tired out and forgot about her, then, when the lights were out, she would feast on her future! This was why the flower nectar was so gross! She had to tear up this pretty, flimsy, beautiful, magical fabric. Then she would become the butterfly that she was meant to be, drinking flower juice at will!

 

What a future tomorrow would be! She would flit, she would twinkle, she would sip honeydew and land on little girls fingers. She would be graceful! She would be pretty! People would take pictures of her. She would glide like a bal...

 

SPLAT

 

The moth died that night and she died alone.

 

The big two legged dummy wiped the ceiling and her shoe, shut the lights and went to bed.


Wait! What's the moral of this story???


Hey, to be your best self you have to accept yourself. Otherwise you will get squashed.

© 2020 sandra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on June 2, 2020
Last Updated on June 2, 2020
Tags: fairy tales, tragedy, butterfly, moth, tutu

Author

sandra
sandra

Staten Island, NY



Writing
Frozen Frozen

A Poem by sandra


The Storm The Storm

A Poem by sandra