Fenrir Programmer

Fenrir Programmer

A Story by Seph North
"

Part of my series of character backgrounds I've written for roleplaying games over the years. This is a character for a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game.

"
Raised by his kinfolk father (Neil Hoggan) in Rockford, just North-West of Chicago. His Get of Fenris mother left shortly after giving birth to continue her part in the war. His father is a reasonably well-off Professor of Physics at university who provided Cody with a good education and safe upbringing - perhaps too safe. With his rather work-intensive life Cody developed a few slightly inapropriate passtimes and spent a lot of time working on his computers. Of course, this was a rather expensive habit to fall into and Cody would occasionally find spare parts in the oddest of places but with sharp wits and a fair amount of care Cody managed to avoid being caught for these indescretions. At his father's urgings he took a mild interest in sports, enough to stay in reasonable shape and stop him from becoming a total recluse, but his father was happy to see his child perform well at school and didn't realise how inadequate a small amount of sport would be to prepare him for the coming years.
He finished school well and found a placement at Northern Illinois University taking a degree in Computer Science. Although he was close enough to his father's home to stay there he decided instead to move in to student accomodation. He was on good terms with his father but Cody was going through a rather normal stage of adolescence where he felt the need to go his own way. For much the same reason Cody is a competent driver with a full driving licence although he doesn't own a vehicle, yet.
His change came very late in his life, in the second year of his degree when he was 19. Despite being born with the Rage of a full-moon anger was not a major part of Cody's life, he never had any major frustrations in his life, the most annoyed he had even been was when he only scored as low as 60% in an exam. So when his kin-fetch let the local caern know about him when he was still 18 they found out they had quite some time to wait before things got started and they got kinda impatient.
They had one of their number watching Cody on and off ever since the fetch was triggered, but she wasn't a student and found hanging out with them rather galling so her patience quickly ran thin and a few months after the fetch was triggered decided to take matters into her own hands. To be precise, late one friday night she decided to set off the fire alarm in his halls of residence and then waited right outside his room. As other people started to leave the building (with the usual muttering about false alarms) she balled her fists and as Cody opened his door, swung a fist at his face. This wasn't exactly what Cody was expecting when he found this rather attractive woman who he had spotted watching him for the past month outside his door, but he probably didn't know what to expect anyway so the fist certainly dispelled his doubts.
With a few more well-placed punches and some damaged computer equipment, Cody began his first change and entered Crinos. However he was a geeky university student and she was a hardened Get of Fenris Galliard, so it came as no suprise when he started regaining his mind and found himself pinned against a wall with some rather sharp pains in his back. When she was certain he wasn't going to start flapping his hands at her again she slowly released him and let him take a seat on his bed. They got to talking and she began to explain a few very important facts of his life, like how much of a p***y he was and that he needed to learn how to fight as she had seen twelve-year olds fight better. When campus security turned up to investigate they found a naked and dumbstruck Cody, a dishevelled and sheepishly grinning lady and a rather disturbed room. They got the point quickly and went away.
Immediate explanations aside (yes, you're a werewolf, so am I, let's not go catatonic I'm a very busy woman, yes I know who you are, I'm Carol) she decided to shock him a little more and took him on a stroll of the Penumbra, in addition to avoiding any problems with human intervention this also gave her a chance to talk to him without him having anywhere familiar to run to. Of course he was still rather naked which gave him another incentive not to run off alone.
When they reached the Caern and they passed back into the material world, she finally provided him with a new set of clothes and gave him a few minutes to relax and properly come to terms with what he had been told. This is about the only time he has been given this chance.
With assistance from Carol and some of the other Get Cody quickly began learning to fight, learned the structure of the world and the triat, the role Garou have in this world and so on. Mostly he learnt to fight, and how to deal with losing repeatedly. He also took leave from his degree with the intention of returning for his final year when his "family problems" were resolved.
His rite of a passage was a fairly normal Get affair, he was sent off alone to deal with some suspected Fomori however he saw fit with some spirits accompanying him to watch his actions. After following up some (pretty basic, for someone of his skills) clues on a murder scene he snuck into combined with a bit of following up on his computer he tracked the murderer to his (no, its, they're not people anymore) home, or should I say his elderly grandmothers home. After bluffing his way in past the 16-year old to ask questions (he lacked ID but the boy was naive and easily misled) he managed to get inside their home and immediately noticed the large and expensive television (rather out of place in such a home) and movies with names of "Jonny the Masher" and that ilk. He didn't know much of wyrm taint but this was a rather disturbing sight to say the least.

His elderly grandmother was sat in a rocking chair in the corner off in her own little world and probably asleep so I began asking him some questions about the movies he had seen, he claimed ignorance and seemed rather fearful of my questions.
I was just beginning to wonder about the grandmother when I saw his suprised look and heard a screech of "Away from my boy you evil man!" and only barely managed to avoid being impaled on a pair of knitting needles she was wildly swinging at me with remarkable ferocity, unsure what to do and forced on the defensive I could do little but back away wildly, only to see her boy step in front of her and take a swing meant for my throat. This paused her rampage only long enough for me to see what I had to do, before she continued the assault screaming "Look what you made me do!" with one of her grandson's eyeballs skewered on a knitting needle. Witnesses aside and my life in danger, I did what I had to do, I took to the Glabro form (there were already enough awkward questions going to be asked) and beat the old lady to death with a chair. This is without a doubt the most bizarre thing I have ever had to do, but it truly opened my eyes to the dangers of the Wyrm. It can be anywhere. The sept elders decided that I had performed well in this, having beaten a fomor in single combat (they didn't mention the old lady part, thankfully) only using Glabro, and as such doing it without any harm to the Veil, I was accepted as a Cliath amongst them.
It has only been two months since my riting and the elders have few others for me to form a pack with so I have been at a bit of a loose end, mostly guarding the caern, being taught how to survive and defending myself against numerous "friendly jabs" from the others of the sept. I visited my father once during the time, he had been informed of what had happened of course and we spent a night in conversation, mostly about my mother and my studies, but I had to return to the Garou - my people now.
Most of the sept still push me around a lot for not being as strong as they are but I did have one occasion where a not-so-tough Cliath decided to pick a fight. My great-grandfather Ashen-Paw was getting fed up with watching me lose to the other Get and decided to give his guidance to my swings, allowing me to win my first of these pissing contests. The elders have decided I should head to Chicago to "toughen up" against the Black Spirals there, I'm rather scared of what will become of me but I suppose that's the point and now I know my dead family are watching over me I feel a little more confident. Also I've taken to keeping an axe bound to me, in case I need to fight in Glabro again.

© 2014 Seph North


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on December 4, 2014
Last Updated on December 6, 2014
Tags: character, werewolf, Get of Fenris, ahroun

Author

Seph North
Seph North

Oxford, United Kingdom



About
Most of my writing is in the form of online PbP roleplaying games, but I've got a few stories and interests that I would like to turn into books someday. My characters tend to be damaged, like me. My.. more..

Writing