Seven skills essential for a 21st Century youth

Seven skills essential for a 21st Century youth

A Story by Ittai Bryan Matthew Nyamawuya-Masanga
"

A look at what a youth in needs to progress in the 21st century. Insight into the essential skills necessary for a modern world.

"

The seven skills essential for a 21st century youth

Whatever profession you have, you need these skills as they open doors to more opportunities.  Alibaba owner Jack Ma started out as an English teacher; Dr. Dre started out as a musician and rapper and now is a co-owner with Jovine of Beats Electronics worth an estimated US$3.2 billion according to Apple Inc.


Trade, profession or speciality

Without a trade or profession that you are good at, you are not marketable.  A farmer produces food, which he sells, a nurse treats sick people, a teacher educates the nation, and a musician entertains, etc.  All these are ordinary trades that with innovation can turn into multi-million dollar ventures.
They are also income generating adding to your capital if you intend to start a different venture or adds to your education finances.
 Also with a known trade, you are more trusted and better networked.
 You have a higher chance of getting a loan.


Writing a business plan

Writing a business plan is not just putting pen to paper and drafting expenditures and projected profits.  It starts with understanding the market and industry that you intend to penetrate.

It entails studying your competitors and evaluating the viability of your project.  You have to establish reasons how they are succeeding and if they are failing: Why?  You have to establish what you are going to do differently to outpace them.

It requires that you understand business terms and basic accounting and bookkeeping.  Without knowledge of how to calculate profit or return on investment, ROI, you will have trouble growing the business venture.


Computer literacy (basic coding and programming)

Today’s business is computer extensive.  The more you understand about the computer, the better.  It provides the opportunity to create apps, tools and software that will enable your business to grow.

There is software for bookkeeping, accounting, payrolls, videos and music but you need knowledge to customize them so that they are specific to your needs.


Online marketing and selling

You are familiar with EcoCash but do you know PayPal, eBay, Amazon, and Alibaba?  Are you aware that there is a thriving online marketing waiting for your products, skills or services? On eBay, Amazon, Alibaba you get to buy and sell online.  PayPal is one payment method that allows you to transact that way.

You can use Facebook or Twitter to market yourself and your products.  You have a reach more than what radio offers.  Yes, it works to advertise in conventional media (TV, radio, newspapers, etc.) or distribute flyers throughout the city but online media goes beyond that and is faster and less costly.

See how the music, film and book industry has shifted to online marketing.  It is the marketing of the future.


Setting up a website, domain or blog

You need a website, domain or blog.  It is like having a market stall.  It is only this market stall is online.  Your website is your online counter.  It is where you showcase your products, services, your awards, and the vision of your business.  Customers seeking a services or products similar to what you offer are directed to your website and from there you start transacting.

As more businesses and individuals seek to make strong online presence, they seek to have websites and blogs that keep their customers glued connected to them.  If you are empowered with such skills, that is another trade for you.  It adds to your revenue as they come to consult you on setting up.  It opens more opportunities for networking with people even those not in your line of business.


Online presence

There are networking sites like Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn, etc. they offer you an opportunity to network with potential partners, service providers and customers.  Make sure you are readily available on all relevant sites.  In this age of information, people are too busy to do careful searches so they pick the one that is readily available.

You will need to consult Search Engine Optimizers to better your online ratings and you need tools that will improve your e-reputation.  A strong online presence is like having everyone in your community talking about you or the quality of your service.


Knowledge on Intellectual property rights

Whatever ideas you have, they are your intellectual property but unless you register them, anyone can copy (plagiarise).  You have seen how after one starts a successful chicken rearing project, everyone in the area starts rearing chickens.

To protect your business ideas, or art works, you have to register them as yours so that it is illegal for anyone to copy you.  For that period, you can sue anyone whom you feel has stolen your idea or your works.

Tech giants Samsung and Apple are engaged in a long battle over rights to certain software in their devices.  This goes to show how much intellectual property rights are a big issue in business.  

 

The skills seem demanding especially considering they are all technology based reflecting the changing paradigm in the way we do business these days.  They reflect how much technology has become an integral part of business culture.  They are also reflective of how much technology has opened doors for more entrepreneurial opportunities.  It is imperative on us the youth to grab these opportunities and learn as much as we can.  As youth, let us diversify our skills base and catch up with the rest of the world in terms of adapting technology for business.

Adapted from the sharing of distinguished entrepreneur Strive Masiyiwa’s sharing on Facebook.

 

© 2014 Ittai Bryan Matthew Nyamawuya-Masanga


Author's Note

Ittai Bryan Matthew Nyamawuya-Masanga
Its a motivational and a realisation that business is now about continous improvement

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

547 Views
Added on May 19, 2014
Last Updated on May 19, 2014
Tags: Strive Masiyiwa, Econet, Jack Ma, Amazon, eBay, Dr Dre, Dre Beats, entrepreneurship, EcoCash