7 abilities that college diploma or degree must equip you with

7 abilities that college diploma or degree must equip you with

A Story by Ittai Bryan Matthew Nyamawuya-Masanga
"

A look at the basics that one needs to learn in college to survive the tough job market. These abilities are also handy in starting solo careers or self promotion.

"
7 abilities that a college degree or diploma must equip you with
The job market is tough, opportunities are scarce.  It is tempting to conclude that it is no use going to school but hold up.  Think again.  Yes, it is no longer useful to cram formulae and memorizing concepts since information is just a click away.  Nevertheless, attending college is beneficial in the following ways.  Here are 7 abilities a course should leave you with.
1. Ability to analyze information
Learn to break down situations into causes, factors and processes and then projecting the results.  Learn to carefully examine problems in the community and identify solutions.  Think logically and act rationally in problem solving.  It is through careful examination that one identifies new opportunities and solutions.
 
2. Written communication
From simple texting, tweeting and sharing on Facebook to emails and blogs it’s all written communication.  A project proposal, tender application, or business plan is presented in writing.  Seek to perfect writing skills to share and present your ideas in the most logical way.
3. Effective oral communication
I hated how our teachers emphasized correct pronunciation of words in school until when I left high school.  Now I understand that effective oral communication is part of a grand survival strategy.  Group or project presentations are meant to prepare us for industry.  Marketing is a business must-have that is hinged on effective oral communication.  From journalism, activism, preaching, etc., effective communication is at the core.  Job interviews assess this ability.  Learn to articulate your ideas.
4. Creativity
Think outside the box.  Break new ground.  Go where no one has been before.  Innovate.  Learn to come up with new ways of problem solving.  Creativity advances society.  It opens news opportunities and new possibilities. Kalabash media  is a product of the fusion of creativity with technology.
5. Dealing with criticism
You are no artist until you present your works and are evaluated by the public.  Whatever piece of work, idea, or proposition must be judged, scrutinized, and evaluated by the people before the breakthrough.  The reason one is made to defend their dissertation in college is to learn how to handle the evaluation process.  Learn to accept criticism and to act upon it.
6. Adapting
The ability to read trends and change according to changing circumstances is paramount in these days of rapid technological advancement.  As we follow and adapt new fashion trends so should it be in our careers.  Some jobs that exist today will not exist in 10 years’ time.  Your career might not be relevant a decade from now.  Will you let go and retire?  Change and transform with the changing times.
7. Work independently (NOTE: not working in seclusion)
In job ads, they emphasize on people who are self-motivated and can work without supervision.  To have that, one has to attain the discipline and organizational abilities to set and meet targets and deadlines whilst producing quality product.  It is about learning to work with no one pulling/ pushing you.
These are the 7 basic abilities that one has to attain during the course of his studies.  From cosmetology, media studies, divinity to robotics, it is worth nothing if one graduates without attaining these abilities.  Jobs, careers, professions are changing every day.  Some jobs are getting extinct, others are being created.  That means certificates will become irrelevant in due time.  It takes the one equipped the aforementioned abilities to diversify into a different field.

© 2014 Ittai Bryan Matthew Nyamawuya-Masanga


Author's Note

Ittai Bryan Matthew Nyamawuya-Masanga
A take on the relevance of college learning.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

911 Views
Added on June 12, 2014
Last Updated on June 30, 2014
Tags: college, jobs, career, professions, university, unemployment, Zimbabwe