DETOXING YOUR THOUGHTS

DETOXING YOUR THOUGHTS

A Story by Ije K.

DETOXING YOUR THOUGHTS

 

Detox. What is the first thing that comes to mind when we see or hear the word? To cleanse perhaps? Withdraw from? Go cold turkey? Get rid of?

 

To ‘detox’ means to rid yourself of something, to withdraw from a substance that is harmful to your body or general being. Detoxing your thoughts means to withdraw from negative or cloudy thoughts that cause misery, depression, and may even invite suicidal thoughts.


As humans, it is normal for us to worry, to think about our future, our past, and our present. Our brain is on the move from the minute we wake up until the next moment we lose yourself to sleep. We can’t help but think; it’s how we were made to function. It’s normal for our inner critic to criticize sometimes; it cautions us and makes us pause and analyze before we act or make a decision. However, when it comes to the point where we begin to over-think, over-analyze, and spend our every moment thinking about what we should do, shouldn't do, or should’ve done, then it's time to take a step back. We should never let our inner critic overwhelm us with over-cautionary thoughts or let it control the way we think, and, ultimately, the way we act.

 

When you find your mind becoming too crowded with negative or critical thoughts, the first thing you need to do is STOP whatever it is you’re doing at that moment. Take slow but deep breaths. Close your eyes and get your mind to calm down. Thinking about everything at once will not get anything done.

 

Next, whether at that moment or at a later point when you have the time, write down the thoughts that are clouding your mind. Go through them one at a time, and try to find out the root cause of the thoughts. Ask yourself, why am I thinking about this? Did something happen to bring this on? What is it that I’m hoping to accomplish in this area of my thoughts?

 

Face each thought that has been written down, decipher them, rip them apart, try to find out what, why, how, when? You are your thoughts. When you constantly think negative, you will begin to act that way and exude a negative aura. Take control of each negative or  cloudy thought, dissect and shred them until there’s nothing left, until you being to wonder why you wasted so much time thinking about it in the first place.

 

If your thoughts are negative thoughts concerning yourself physical or intellectual-wise, write them down, and then on another sheet write down the positive equivalent of those thoughts. Flush out thoughts that criticize your body or size. Declare things that you know you are good at and known for. Learn to accept and love yourself as you are, and learn to accept that it is okay if some people don’t think you’re beautiful, you should feel that you  are, and that is all that should matter.

 

If one of your thoughts is telling you, ‘you’re fat and unattractive’, write it down, and then think it through. Think: ‘Is my weight affecting my health?’ ‘What can I do to improve my health?’ ‘Do I need to sign up for a gym membership?’ ‘Is there a good healthy diet that I can take on?’ Be proactive. Merely thinking and desiring will not get things done, if you wish to lose weight, be proactive and serious about it.

 

If your thoughts are telling you you’re not smart, first declare that you are intelligent, stable, warm, and loving. Then think, ‘If my lack of knowledge in this area is causing me this much worry, what can I do about it? What can I do to improve the situation?’ Again, become proactive and explore options. Take classes if necessary, if you desire. This way, you can become more knowledgeable in the subject area in question. If you’re a shy person and your inner critic constantly bugs you about it, become proactive and research on workshops or seminars to help you step out of your comfort zone and make you become more comfortable in your own skin, and around other people.

 

Over-thinking can also come as a result of over-working and the stress that comes with trying to juggle both work and personal life at once. Try to find a balance between both worlds. Don’t take on more work that you’re able to handle. If you’re into music, listen to your favorite tunes while working, if your work permits it. Take small breaks and go for walks; enjoy the scenery around you, even if the scenery is made up of only people. This helps a great deal in freeing your mind and eliminating a lot of unwanted thoughts that hang on to the corners of your mind.

 

Cluttering at home or anywhere you have your personal space can also lead to psychological cluttering. Let go of old things, clothes, furniture, get rid of them and give space for new things and experiences. You’ll find that your mind will appreciate the physical space, and you can breathe easier and relax more. 

 

Exercising also helps to detox your mind and keep it free from cloudy thoughts. Exercise relaxes your body and brain, and whether it’s a full work-out at the gym or simple stretches and sit-ups at home, you’ll come out feeling strong and energized, with a clear mind and ready to take on the world.

 

Learn to take control of your mind. Attack those negative thoughts and flush them out of your consciousness. Override them with positive affirmations about yourself and your abilities. Realize that thinking about everything, at all times, does not change anything except stress you and eventually make you sick, both physically and psychologically.

 

Allow your mind to dwell on positive thoughts, and in time, your thoughts will become you.

© 2016 Ije K.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on August 12, 2016
Last Updated on August 12, 2016
Tags: detox, self-improvement, inner peace

Author

Ije K.
Ije K.

Canada



About
Passionate writer...resilient editor...sincere lover of the written word. more..

Writing
Boss Lady Boss Lady

A Story by Ije K.


HoPe HoPe

A Poem by Ije K.


In Loving You In Loving You

A Poem by Ije K.