The Tale of a First Year

The Tale of a First Year

A Story by LoVeDoNtHaTe
"

Emily Gwydion is a new student at Hogwarts! What will she do to stay on top of her classes, bypass bullies, and make new friends?

"

 

“Goodbye, darling! Good luck at your new school!” my mum said with tears in her eyes. I just nodded and smiled.
“I will, Mum.” I gave her a hug and waved goodbye before taking a deep breath and pushing my luggage trolley along with my white owl and suitcases through a brick pillar I had seen other children run through, arriving on the other side, Platform 9¾. The sights that I saw were amazing. There were people arriving out of thin air with their children, others talking amiably to their friends, and people of all ages there. I was ecstatic to be here. I had read Hogwarts: A History several times to understand this magical place and about my new boarding school, “Hogwarts”, that is. ‘What a queer name,’ I thought to myself before pushing my trolley along.
The bell on the train rang at exactly 11 a.m. sharp, signaling all the children to go on. I self-consciously put a hand in my pocket to feel the letter I had so earnestly read and reread several times before approaching the train. I dragged my luggage and owl onto the train with a bit of help, and stepped up and went into the stuffy train after it. Surprisingly, many children were already on and finding their own compartments. I smiled nervously and went towards the back. I opened the first compartment I saw and came face to face with three teenagers.
“Are you a first year?” a girl in there asked, and I nodded numbly.
“Well, go on then! Scat! Find your own compartment, scummy little first-year,” a boy scolded me, and I frowned deeply.
“Don’t you yell at me! Stop being such a prat!” I snapped and slammed the compartment door quickly, biting my bottom lip to keep from crying, but still a bit surprised at my own outburst. I sniffed and opened another compartment where a young girl and boy my age were sitting quietly.
“Can I sit in here?” I asked calmly. The girl gave me an odd look, then nodded her head.
“Of course. Come in!” I smiled at her kindness and smiled at the quiet boy as well. He looked quite dashing with his short, dark blonde hair and deep blue eyes. His face was a bit pale and pointed, but his features looked as if it had been sculpted by the gods, or something. The girl was pretty as well. She had white, straight teeth, pretty dark brown eyes, and chestnut brown curls that went down to her waist. I felt a bit shy with my own dark brown hair cut only at my shoulders, my dark brown eyes blinking back the tears that mean older boy had forced out of me.
“My name is Calista Servus, and that’s Cepheus Black. What’s your name?” the girl asked with a smile.
“I’m Emily,” I replied. The girl smiled sweetly.
“Really? Are you a first year?”
“Yes. Are you?”
“Yes! Ooh, what house do you want to be in when we get there?” I furrowed my brows. Houses? Oh yes! Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw were the different Houses. Gryffindor was known for bravery, Hufflepuff for loyalty, Ravenclaw for intelligence, and Slytherin for ambition and cunningness.
“Oh, I don’t know, really. I do like green, and I guess Slytherin does sound like a fun house to be in!” I said with a smile, and Calista’s face fell while Cepheus regarded me quite curiously.
“Oh, really? Did you know Slytherin’s don’t have a good reputation?” She looked around, as if someone other than us three were listening before leaning forward towards me. “You-Know-Who came from that house,” she whispered to me before leaning back again. I only knew slightly who that was, so I shrugged. I guess my face didn’t sell my act of indifference because Calista began to openly gape at me. “You don’t know who Voldemort is?!” she exclaimed, and I bit my bottom lip before shaking my head.
“You must be a Muggle-born, huh?” Cepheus suddenly said. His melodic voice attracted me and I hesitated before slowly shaking my head.
“I actually found out recently that I’m a Half-blood, but I was born in the Muggle world.”
“But how do you not know anything about the Wizarding world?!” Calista exclaimed. I shifted in my seat, feeling a bit uncomfortable.
“Well, my father died when I was young, and he was a Pure-blood. My mother never told me about my heritage until I got my letter.”
“Who was your father?” Cepheus asked with utmost curiosity. Happy to be making conversation with the quiet boy, I spoke with a small smile.
“Corvus Gwydion,” I uttered proudly, and Cepheus nodded slowly.
“Interesting,” he said with a thoughtful air about him, and Calista rolled her eyes.
“Cepheus, stop pretending to be so mysterious!”
“Well, I can be if I want to!” The two argued for a moment as I looked on, amused.
“Do you both know each other well?” I asked. Calista grinned and grabbed onto Cepheus’s arm. He looked a bit annoyed at that.
“Oh yes. We both were born and bred here, in the Wizarding world.”
“Are you Pure-bloods?”
“I am. She’s a Half-blood like you,” Cepheus spoke up, and Calista scowled.
“You make it sound like a bad thing!” she exclaimed, and he rolled his eyes.
“Stay away from me, loony,” he muttered, and moved closer to the window.  I giggled while Calista scowled once again.
“Oh, sod off,” she mumbled, and moved to sit with me. She smiled at me once again. “Don’t mind him, he’s being a prat. Usually he can be very nice,” she said, and I smiled.
“I see.” The train began moving and suddenly and I felt very excited. I quickly voiced this, and Calista agreed. Cepheus just rolled his eyes and looked up at the ceiling, as if it would give him answers for his unspoken question.
“What house do you want to go into?” I asked loudly.
“Gryffindor, like Hermione Granger,” Calista uttered.
“Slytherin, like Draco Malfoy,” Cepheus replied. They both answered at the same time, and I raised my brows.
“That’s brilliant, I guess. Er, who’s Hermione Granger? And, uh, Draco Malfoy?”
“Oh, Hermione is only the smartest and most popular witch in this world! You know she was the smartest too? And she’s a Muggle-born! Oh, I want to be just like her! She was so brave too! And you must have heard of Harry Potter!” I nodded as she continued to gush about the two, adding a wizard named Ron Weasley who was a Quidditch player like his younger sister, Ginevra, or Ginny. I had read about the latter three in The Daily Prophet recently, but I was much more informed about them now.
“Well, Draco Malfoy is much better than Hermione Granger,” interrupted Cepheus, and Calista shot him a look which he ignored. “First of all, he is a part of an ancient Pure-blood family, he seriously was the Slytherin prince during his years here, he actually fixed the invisible cabinet all by himself in his fourth year, he is adept in Occulumency, and, of course,he’s my distant cousin! Oh, and to top it all off, he has dashing hair. He’s the coolest wizard I’ve ever met! Harry Potter and Hermione Granger suck! They got all the attention only because they were on the winning side of the war, even though Narcissa Malfoy, my great aunt’s distant cousin, saved Potter’s bloody life!”
Calista scowled, and I raised my brows.
“Well, he was a Death eater too!” She turned to me. “Hermione and Malfoy were enemies. If you don’t know already, Slytherins look down upon Hufflepuffs, and they’ve always been enemies with Gryffindor. Ravenclaw, I suppose, is neutral. Slytherin is an awful house.”
“No, Slytherin is the best house! After Harry Potter left, they’ve won the house cup two years in a row!” Cepheus piped up.
“Gryffindor is the best!”
“I don’t really know much about those two houses…” I said slowly, and Calista took it upon herself to inform me the rest of the trip, stopping only when the sweets cart came around and when we had to change into our school robes. Cepheus read the rest of the trip, effectively ignoring our chatter.
 -
We arrived at the station, where a tall, giant old man with a large black beard and a pink umbrella, greeted us. “Hello, all yeh firs’ years. I’m Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds. Call me Hagrid. That’s what everyone calls me anyway. Come on, now, follow me. Everyone all right? We be gettin’ to Hogwarts on boats, yeh know.” I followed him, somewhere in the middle of the crowd, with Calista holding tight to my arm and Cepheus’s.
“That wizard is too large for his own good. Perhaps he’s half-giant?” Calista said. I shrugged, feeling in awe of everything around me.
We approached the enchanted boats that had little lanterns on the very front. “Get in, get in,” Hagrid said with a nod and we first years began piling into boats. I sat next to Calista, Cepheus, and another boy that Cepheus apparently knew.
“This is Orion Lexeos, my best friend. He’s a Pure-blood too, only he’s a second-year. Orion, this is Gwydion. She’s a first-year like me.”
“Uh, Emily Gwydion,” I corrected before smiling at the boy. He had sandy brown hair and blue eyes, reminding me of a photograph in the Daily Prophet I had once seen of a man named Seamus Finnigan, who had found out a new effective potion for getting rid of warts. I think he was twelve years older than me, but anyways…
“I’m Lexeos. Nice to meet you, Gwydion,” he said with a cheeky grin. I smiled back and shook his outstretched hand. He nodded at Calista who grinned brightly at him. “Nice to see you again, Servus.” I looked at him a bit curiously. Did everyone call their acquaintances by their surnames here? It was something to ask Calista later, and I put it to the back of my mind. It was dark, and I loved how the castle looked at night. It seemed eerie, yet the lights emitting from inside seemed welcoming. It looked as if it had been through a great battle (which I presumed was the Second War I had read about) and I was so lost in my thoughts I barely registered Calista’s petty poking at my arm.
“What?” I asked, finally tearing my gaze away from the dark waters and the eerie castle.
“I’m bored. Isn’t Lexeos cute?” she asked with another grin at him. I raised my brows at her, startled.
“Um, sure,” I said uncertainly, giving him another look. They were watching the castle as well, and I just noticed now that it seemed very quiet. Everyone, I supposed, was taking in the castle the way I had been before Calista had rudely interrupted me. I looked back at the castle, hoping she would do the same.
 -
We arrived at Hogwarts and were ushered in, then greeted by an ancient-looking witch wearing dark green and black robes and a black hat right before two large closed doors. I touched my own hat, making sure it was still there.
“Welcome, students,” she said with a prim expression, “I am Professor McGonagall, and welcome to Hogwarts. Inside the Great Hall behind me, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting Ceremony is very important because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will eat together, sleep in your house dormitories, spend time in your house common room, and compete for the House Cup, which is an honour to win, by earning points. The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house you join. Now, let us go in.” She turned, her cocked hat not moving at all, and walked in through the large doors of the Great Hall, that opened by itself.
I marveled at the tall ceiling once we walked inside. There were stars up there in the tall ceiling! “Those look stunning,” I breathed, and Calista giggled beside me.
“The ceiling is enchanted to look like it,” she murmured beside me, and I smiled.
“That’s amazing!” I said, then looked ahead. There was the High Table where the professors sat, and I glanced around at the many students that sat at four long tables, casting glances at us. I grinned at Calista who grinned back, and we walked with confidence and excitement towards the High Table. I could see the Sorting Hat sitting on a stool next to the podium, and I could see a stocky, yet not extremely short, man walk up and point his wand at his throat. His booming voice filled the hall.
“Good evening, students, and welcome back! To our first years, welcome to Hogwarts! I am Headmaster Longbottom. I shall now introduce to you our professors, as has been the tradition for the last four years. Professor McGonagall, Professor Amnisity, Professor Flitwick, Professor Malfoy—”
When the tall, white-blonde haired wizard stood, the Slytherin’s cheered loudly, and he smirked at them. I noticed a frizzy brown-haired professor sneer at him as he smirked back at her.
“That must be Draco Malfoy,” I whispered to Calista, and I could tell from Cepheus’s shining eyes of admiration that it was. When Professor Malfoy sat again, Professor Longbottom cleared his throat and continued.
“Professor Sinistra, Professor Binns—”
I raised a brow as I applauded politely. He was only a ghost! Could ghosts be teachers as well?
“Professor Vector,” Longbottom continued, “Professor Babbling, Professor Trelawney, Professor Firenze—”
“Oh! A centaur!” Calista squealed beside me, and I smiled in awe as well.
“—Professor Granger—”
“It’s Hermione Granger!!” Calista squealed excitedly, jumping up and down, and I laughed quietly as the frizzy-haired professor, apparently Hermione Granger, stood. I looked eagerly at Malfoy’s face when she got louder applause, and it was his turn to scowl at her.
“—and Madam Hooch. Now, you first years will be sorted after the Sorting Hat’s song.” He pointed his wand at his throat again and walked back to the table as everyone applauded. I watched in amazement as the patched and frayed hat on the stool seemed to straighten up and began to sing. Its voice was a bit deep and mysterious, and I liked it immensely.
All too soon, the song was over and Professor McGonagall was there, next to the stool, holding the hat and a long list of names on a parchment. Her spectacles were on her nose and she glanced through them as she began to read the names.
Precisely three Gryffindors, five Ravenclaws, five Hufflepuffs, and seven Slytherins, including Cepheus, were sorted, and before I knew it, I heard McGonagall call my name. “Gwydion, Emily,” she called, and I gulped before taking a step up there. I sat quietly at the stool as she placed the hat on my head. I jumped when the hat began talking, I was so nervous.
“Hmm, interesting. Has potential to become very cunning, yet intelligent. Can do well in Slytherin and Ravenclaw. Hmm, ambitious when she wants to be, and can learn quickly…”
“Um, can I be in Slytherin?” I piped up very quietly, feeling silly that I was talking to a hat. The hat made another thoughtful sound before shouting to the hall,
“SLYTHERIN!” I grinned widely and McGonagall plucked the hat off my head as I jumped down from the stool and walked over to the Slytherin table where everyone congratulated me. I saw the one snarky boy that had scolded me back on the train, and when he finally caught my eye, he sneered at me. I only scowled back, then turned to look at Cepheus.
“We’re both in Slytherin now!” he said with a smirk, and I nodded, sure that my face was pink from excitement. Lexeos grinned cheekily at me again when I finally met his gaze, and we watched the rest of the sorting.
When it came to Servus, Calista, I held my breath as she held hers. I saw the hat fold before shouting, “GRYFFINDOR!” I cheered for her and saw her catch my eye and smile before prancing over to the Gryffindor table cheerfully. The rest of the sorting was a blur, and soon the Longbottom went up to the podium again.
“Now, to everyone, I’d like to make it clear that the ForbiddenForest is just that, forbidden, and no one is allowed to go there. Breakfast will be served at eight o’ clock, and classes will start at nine. The curfew is nine in the evening, and anyone out of bed after then will be given detention. Now, with that said, let the feast begin!”  
It was all over much too quickly, but I delighted in the process. It turned out Professor Malfoy was our Head of Slytherin, much to Cepheus’s delight, and introduced himself to us in our common room after the Prefects led us there. I was delighted with the green lamps and carved chairs, although I did dislike being in the dungeons and under the HogwartsLake. Professor Malfoy made a short appearance, only introducing himself before he left, his cloak billowing behind him, and the Prefects stepped forward and began telling us everything.
After our instructions, I pranced up the stone stairs to the girl’s dormitories only to find that my bed and room had been chosen for me. It was coated in green and silver. My owl and luggage were next to a dark green four poster bed, which I presumed was mine, with heavy dark green and silver curtains pushed back. I squealed happily and pranced over to my owl. “Hello, Ollie!” I said, and my snow white barn owl hooted in response.
“Oh no, please tell me you’re not a Muggle-born!” a girl said next to me. I turned to look at her as she plopped onto the bed next to mine, and I grinned.
“Nope, I’m a Half-blood.”
“Oh. I’m a Pure-blood. I’m Helena Greengrass. My older sisters are Daphne and Astoria.” I nodded, not quite knowing who the other two Greengrass sisters were, but I supposed they were important.
“I’m Emily Gwydion. I’m an only child.” Helena’s eyes suddenly lit up.
“Oh! Your father was Corvus Gwydion! My father spoke of him once. Said he disgraced the Pure-blood name by running off to the Muggle world like he did when the war started.” I stood up, furious.
“Don’t talk about my father like that!” I growled, and the girl shrugged, tossing her long blonde hair over her shoulder.
“Well, I’m only stating what my father said. I’m not really big on the whole blood prejudice, especially after the Second Wizarding War. Be glad you weren’t around for that!” Helena then smiled at me, her dark green orbs twinkling, before she began to situate herself and get ready for bed. I smiled to myself as I did the same. Many of the first years like me were very friendly. As I snuggled under my bed covers, I smiled, feeling very excited for classes to begin tomorrow.
 -
I woke up the next morning at precisely seven-thirty. Helena was still sleeping soundly, and I was a bit surprised my loud alarm hadn’t woken her. I looked at the other girls sleeping and shrugged. I was the only one up. I washed and dressed for the day by eight-thirty. By that time, most of the girls were up, and I ushered a good morning to all of them before going down to the common room. Cepheus was sitting nonchalantly on one of the couches, one arm slung over the back of it.
“Ready for classes?” I asked him, and he looked up lazily at me and nodded. “Who are you waiting for?”
“Orion. He’s taking a bloody long time,” he replied with a drawl. I shrugged.
“Well, I’m going down. See you later.” He nodded his head again and I walked out of the common room quickly, feeling excitement down to the tip of my toes. While I was going down the enchanted staircase, I happened to bump into Calista, much to my excitement.
“Oh, Calista! How was your morning?”
“It was absolutely brilliant! Oh, I’m so excited for my first day of school! And at Hogwarts! So exciting!” she gushed.
“Oh, same here!” I agreed with the same enthusiasm.
“By the way, do you have your timetable?” she asked suddenly. I nodded and pulled it out of my book bag. Calista took it and held it out in front of her, scrutinising it.
“You’ve got History of Magic and Transfiguration, Dark Arts, Potions, Herbology, Charms, Flying, and Astronomy,” she read.
“Can I see yours?” Calista gave me a blank look before her brown eyes brightened in understanding, and she reached into her own book bag and handed me hers.
“Herbology, Charms, Dark Arts, Potions, History of Magic, Transfiguration, Flying, Astronomy. Ooh, we have four classes together!” I exclaimed.
“Out of eight,” she added glumly, and I sighed.
“That does rain on our parade, even though it’s still half,” I said with equal depression. We soon reached the doors of the Great Hall, and I sighed.
“Well, I’ll see you in…Potions later,” I said with a smile. She smiled sadly back and hugged me quickly before we walked through the doors. We walked to the opposite ends of the hall, and as I sat next to a group of girls I had just met, I sighed inwardly. ‘I finally make a good friend here, and she’s supposed to be my enemy,’ I thought grimly before tucking into my breakfast.
The bell ran at precisely nine o’ clock, and I ended the conversation I had been having with Cepheus in order to get to History of Magic on time. I walked into the room and sat at an empty desk before the bell rang. Several students scurried in and one boy sat next to me, brushing his shaggy black hair out of her face. He turned to me and smiled apologetically.
“Sorry for taking this seat, it was the only one left and I don’t know anyone in here.” I only nodded with a smile.
“I don’t know anyone either. I’m Emily, by the way.”
“Juniper. Pleased to meet you,” he said with a grin, and we shook hands before turning to look at Professor Binns, the only ghost teacher at Hogwarts.
Oh my Merlin. Only ten minutes in that classroom and already I wanted to run out screaming. I was bored out of my mind! I suppose Juniper felt that way as well, because when I turned to look at him fifteen minutes later, he was snoring away, his head hidden behind his book. I rolled my eyes at him and poked him with my wand, effectively waking him up. I smirked and pulled out a piece of parchment and wrote to him.
 
Bored already, I see?
 
I flicked the parchment at him and looked up to see if Professor Binns had noticed. He didn’t. In fact, he continued to drone on in his monotone voice, seemingly ignorant of the fact that half the class was already asleep. Juniper glanced my way and grinned before taking the parchment and writing back. The parchment was flicked back to me and I smiled at his boyish handwriting.
 
Oh, and you aren’t? Binns can talk for hours without noticing.
You a first year?
Yes. You?
Of course. What house?
Ravenclaw.
Oh. I’m Slytherin. I was dearly hoping you weren’t Hufflepuff or Gryffindor. I might’ve been wary to talk to you again.
 
At this, Juniper sent me a smirk before writing down something and flicking the parchment back to me.
 
They that bad?
Well, to a Slytherin, I’d suppose so.
I guess I can understand Gryffindor, and Hufflepuff could get on my nerves too, I guess. I don’t know.
Ha, well, it’s only the first day.
True. So what classes do you have?
History of Magic (as you know), Transfiguration, Dark Arts, Potions, Herbology, Charms, Flying, and Astronomy. You?
Blast. Seems we only have this and Astronomy together. I have History of Magic, Potions, Dark Arts, Charms, Flying, Herbology, and Astronomy. Bugger.
Bugger indeed. Well, at least I know someone in this class now!
Same here! I was a bit worried that I wouldn’t be accepted in this kind of environment anyway.
Even after the Second Wizarding War? Are you a Muggle-born?
Yes. And the Second Wizarding War?
I’m sure Binns will explain that. And I’m a Half-blood, although I’m as good as a Muggle-born, I’m sure.
Like I’m going to listen to Binns. And what do you mean by ‘I’m as good as a Muggle-born’?
My father was a Pure-blood, but he died when I was young, and my mother didn’t tell me about my heritage until I got my letter, so I was pretty much raised as a Muggle.
Ah. I see. I’ll let you know it was a bloody surprise when I got my letter.
Ha, ha. Same here! I was a bit worried that my mum had lost her marbles when she began telling me about the Wizarding world.
Well, you didn’t have Longbottom talking to your parents about the Wizarding world. My whole family didn’t know what to believe!
Do you have any siblings?
Yes, a younger brother. You?
No. I’m an only child. Where do you live, anyway?
London.
Oh, I live in Surrey. A bit of a long way, isn’t it?
Yes, it is!
Juniper, I’m bored again.
Call me Juni. I don’t care if it sounds girly, that is my nickname.
I don’t think it sounds girly.
Thank you! All my mates have commented on its girly sound.
They must be insane.
Or maybe just you and I are.
That could be it too…
 
I flicked it back, but didn’t get any farther when Professor Binns suddenly began moving around the classroom, ranting in a monotone voice about the Wizarding world, and I saw Juni grin widely and look at me before stuffing the parchment into his pocket. I looked down at the parchment I had intended for notes in front of me, which consisted of doodles, then at the clock. Another ten minutes had passed.
Professor Binns had written down class work, and I began to do it diligently. Once I finished, I glanced around at the classroom, noticing a few Slytherins I recognised. They seemed bored out of their minds, and I noticed that Binns didn’t seem fazed by this at all. It took the whole remaining class period, and he wrote down the homework once the bell rang.
“A one-foot essay on the beginning of spells!” Binns deadpanned loudly, and the class quickly filed out. I smiled my goodbye to Juni before rushing out with the crowd, desperate to leave this excruciatingly boring class behind. I checked my timetable. Next was Transfiguration. That class sounded much more fun, although McGonagall could kill the ‘fun’ mood of it all with her prim ways.
It took me a long time to find the classroom, but once I entered it, I immediately saw Cepheus. I was delighted that I had at least one class with him and walked over and sat next to him. He grinned at me, and I grinned back.
“Fancy meeting you here,” he drawled, and I rolled my eyes.
“Really. I hope McGonagall isn’t a bore like Binns was,” I said with a shudder. I was rewarded by Cepheus’s chuckle.
“He’s that bad, is he?” I nodded, and he groaned. “I might as well take a Troll for that class now!” I laughed.
“Oh, it’s not that bad!” I was going to say something else, but the loud bell cut me off, and McGonagall’s sharp voice made me turn to the front.
“Welcome students to another day at Hogwarts. I presume all of you are first years, am I correct?” It was silent, and McGonagall took that as a yes. “Now I am going to take attendance.” She began the list of names, and after hearing my name and calling out, “Here!”, I laid my head down on my desk and waited for her to finish. Binns’s class had really drained me. Finally, McGonagall’s crisp voice got my attention again, and for the whole class period, she just lectured about the class, and how it was one of the most difficult, and what we would do there, and even told us what we were going to do tomorrow, and that we would need our wands, before the bell rang. She told us to read the first chapter of our textbook, A Beginners’ Guide to Transfiguration, then dismissed us.
As I walked out of class with Cepheus, I was beginning to get a bit excited about that class. I couldn’t wait till tomorrow when we would begin to learn Switching Spells, whatever that was.
“I’m excited for Potions,” Cepheus suddenly said. I had to agree, but he had a different reason than I did for being excited. I couldn’t wait to begin the art of mixing things together and making dangerous and helpful concoctions, while he couldn’t wait to be taught by Professor Malfoy. I rolled my eyes at that.
“Honestly, Cepheus, do you ever think about anyone else?” He shrugged in response, and I sighed. “Have you seen Helena?” He gestured with his blonde head towards a group of Slytherin girls chatting away and pointing at some other girls and boys of different Houses.
“Oh, Emily!” Helena said with a large smile once I approached her. “Come here, I’ll introduce you to the Slytherin girls. This is Christalin Serpens, Antlia Venatici, Auriga and Lyra Leonara, Virgo Extromeda, Lydia Warren, Celina Viendoli, Adrina Vendolio, and Veruca Lipenstain. Everyone, this is Emily Gwydion.” All the girls nodded politely at me and immediately a few rushed over to me and Helena, pointing at a group of Hufflepuffs walking, their bags so full it brought them down.
“I bet you their bags are heavier than them!” Lyra, a strawberry-blonde haired girl, said with a giggle, and Auriga, her twin, nodded in agreement, laughing. Or, perhaps it was the other way around…
“Hey, Emily, you’re in our dormitory, aren’t you?” Lyra, or Auriga, suddenly asked, and I nodded. She smirked.
“You better watch out, then. We like to prank people,” Auriga, or Lyra, said.
“Adrina and Celina are in our dorm too.”
“Really? Oh, Auriga, I’d love to help you pull a joke or two,” I said with a wicked grin, and she laughed.
“You’re better than I thought. I personally thought you’d be as timid as one of those Hufflepuffs over there. I’m Lyra, by the way. I’ve got a dimple on my left cheek, and Auriga doesn’t,” she said with a grin. I giggled.
“Sorry. And me? A Hufflepuff?” I scoffed and she giggled again.
“Hey, I know a jelly-legs jinx,” Virgo suddenly spoke up, and I smirked.
“Really? Send it to that girl over there,” the twins said quietly, and Virgo grinned and flicked her wand around, saying an incantation, and a thin stream of blue light shot out of her wand and at the girl’s legs. Right before it hit the unsuspecting Hufflepuff, the same Slytherin bully that had scolded me on the train unknowingly stepped in front of it, getting hit with the curse instead.
He gave a shout as he crumpled to the floor, his legs giving out under him, and we all laughed. “Good one, Virgo!” I said with another laugh, and we all quickly rushed off, but not before I sneered at the fallen boy, who was scowling at me.
 -
Before I knew it, McGonagall had called me to her office, and I walked in. The door closed behind me and I sat in front of her desk where she was glaring at me through her spectacles. That snarky boy was sitting next to me, unfortunately, and sneered at me.
“Miss Gwydion, it has only been a day here, and already I hear you have been causing trouble. Am I correct? You hit Mr. Griffon with a jelly-legs jinx.” I shook my head innocently.
“I was only watching the spectacle. I have no idea who indeed hit him with it. Also, I’m only a first-year and I haven’t learned any of those complicated jinxes as such.”
“Oh shut up, you bloody liar!” the boy scowled.
“Mr. Griffon! Language! Let me see your wand,” she said to me stiffly, and I confidently gave it to her. It was a beautiful thing. It was made of willow wood and dragon heartstring core, twelve inches. I’m not very sure how I had obtained it, but the wand maker had said it fit me perfectly, and gave me a discount when I was only a Knut short. McGonagall took it and ran it through her hands before taking out her own wand and pointing it at mine.
Prior Incantato,” she stated, and nothing happened. After all, I hadn’t even used it yet, unless you count poking Juni with it once. McGonagall gave me a stern look. “You are a first year, correct?” I nodded, and she gave me my wand back and put hers away. “Mr. Griffon, it seems as though she is innocent. That is all. Both of you may go to lunch now.”  
Griffon, as I guess his surname was, scowled at me once we were out of her office. “I don’t know how you did that, but make sure to stay the hell out of my way. This is war now.” I scoffed.
“Oh please. You expect me to be afraid of your silly threats?” I said in a bored tone, although inside I was a bit intimidated. He towered over me angrily by at least four inches, and had dark brown hair and hazel eyes, which were, at the moment, darkening with anger.
“Don’t mess with me, first year.”
“Whatever,” I stated, and brushed passed him as I sauntered off, smirking at my success. When I met Helena and the rest of her Slytherin posse, I told them the story and Virgo was immensely thankful I hadn’t turned her in. They also congratulated me on my bravery at brushing past Griffon the way I did.
We went to the Great Hall for lunch. I talked with the girls as I ate, telling them of Binns and McGonagall, and retelling the tale of standing up to Griffon, who I presume was a big bully to all other Houses and younger Slytherins. Once we finished, we walked around and poking fun at other students for a few more moments before the bell rang, signaling the time for me to go to double Potions with the Gryffindors.
I entered the Potions classroom, getting hit immediately with interesting smells, not quite disgusting, but not at all pleasant either. Malfoy’s hair contrasted greatly with his black work robes and the dreary atmosphere of the whole thing. I saw Cepheus in the front row, talking to the Professor amiably, and I wanted to roll my eyes at him. Instead, I sat next to him and Calista to me, and I raised my eyes up at the professor.
“Hello, Professor,” I said, and Malfoy’s cool grey gaze fell to me.
“Hello. You’re a Slytherin, no doubt.” I nodded with a smirk.
“How did you know?”
“You’re sitting in the front row with Mr. Black here. And you are?” He gestured his head towards Caslista, but she stayed sitting in her seat, looking up at him with her dark brown eyes and not giving any indication that she was intimidated by his piercing grey stare.
“I’m Calista Servus, a Gryffindor.” Malfoy raised a brow at that.
“I see. It takes bravery to sit with two Slytherins in the very front row. Reminds me of Professor Granger,” he stated with a bored air, and Calista beamed in delight. The bell rang before he could say any more, and he walked towards the cauldron in the middle of the room and began speaking. He introduced himself like all the other teachers had, but he gave a bit of information about himself, like how he used to be a student of Hogwarts, how his favourite subject was always Potions, and how he had become to be a teacher.
Finally, he got onto the subject of Potions, and the first thing he asked, was if everyone had their supplies. I set my pewter cauldron on my desk with a clank along with everyone else, and my glass phials, mortar, and pestle on my desk as well. After that, unlike all the other teachers, he didn’t lecture the whole class period. Instead, he lectured about the ingredients and origin of the Forgetfulness Potion, then afterwards had us pick groups of four and begin brewing it. Of course, Cepheus, Calista, and I were partners, and Calista brought another Gryffindor into our group as well, much to Cepheus’s disdain.
We finished the first part of the potion before the bell rang and turned it in. Then Cepheus and I spoke for a little while as Calista chatted with the Gryffindor. When the bell rang, we all bid goodbyes to each other before I walked to Herbology alone. It was in a greenhouse out on the open school grounds and in a grassy area. I looked up at the bright blue sky, happy to be here at Hogwarts. It was a nice change from my dreary school back in Muggle England. I had wanted an escape from that awful secondary school, and although I hadn’t planned on magic being a part of it the plan, it had worked out for the best!
I finally reached the greenhouse and gazed at all the plants around. I had never seen such atrocious plants before! There were plants I had never seen back in the Muggle world. Each plant seemed to have a mind of its own, and moved around without the wind. I could see plants of every shape, size, and colour everywhere. It filled the room, and I let out a yelp when a soft, feathery leaf grabbed onto my leg, letting go only after I attempted to free myself. Feeling a bit disgusted by the looks of some other plants, I quickly found a desk in the middle of the room and sat down.
Professor Longbottom was in front of the room, and it looked like he was speaking to one of the plants. It looked like a fat, ugly, disgusting slug, and I was so curious of what kind of plant it was, that I unknowingly voiced my question aloud. Longbottom looked at me and smiled.
“This is a Bubotuber.” I scrunched my eyes up when it began squirming by itself.
“That’s disgusting,” I stated, and Longbottom chuckled.
“Yes, I suppose it can be so, but its pus can be very helpful. You’ll learn more about it in fourth-year.” I shivered. I didn’t want fourth-year Herbology to come!
The bell rang, and I turned to see a girl sit next to me, her pale face impassive. I recognized her as Antlia Venatici, the quietest girl of the Slytherin group I had started to hang out with.
“Venatici,” I whispered, nudging her, and she looked my way, a bit startled. She had big eyes that were an unusual stormy grey, and chin-length dark brown hair that contrasted with her pale face. I had yet to really speak with her, although I knew who she was, and I smiled at her, ignoring Longbottom’s long introduction.
“Hi,” she whispered back, then turned back forward. I leaned back in my chair, bored already.
“This class is really boring.” I looked around at the plants surrounding the classroom.
“I don’t know, it looks pretty interesting to me,” she said as she wrote something down. I raised my brows at her.
“Really? The plants seem a bit creepy. Just before you came in, Longbottom was holding a plant that looked like an ugly black slug. It was called a…uh…”
“A Bubotuber?” she asked without looking up. I nodded.
“Yea, that. Wait, how do you know? He said we don’t learn about it till fourth-year!” Antlia nodded at her paper.
“My mum used to be a Herbologist, so I know all about these things.”
“Used to be?” At this, Antlia set her quill to the side, leaned back, sighed, then looked at me, her inscrutable grey eyes meeting my brown ones.
“She’s dead.” I gasped, curious of how she had died, but I didn’t want to pour salt in the wound, so I just nodded, attempting to express my condolences that way. She just shook her head.
“You’re probably curious of how she died. Everyone always is.”
“No, no. It’s all right. I know it must’ve been hard when she died.”
“Yes, it was for awhile, till I came to Hogwarts.” She expelled another breath before facing the front again. “That’s why I want to become a Herbologist, just like my mum.” I nodded, understanding completely, but I was at a loss of words, so I paid attention the rest of the class period, sneaking sympathetic glances at Venatici once in a while. She showed no emotion whatsoever, and instead paid attention to Longbottom with a stoic face, jotting down notes diligently.
When the bell rang, I packed up my books, parchments, and quill and looked at Antlia. “I’ll see you at the table?” I asked, and she nodded. I smiled at her before walking away, hoping to find out what had caused her to be so withdrawn and quiet. A girl like her couldn’t naturally be that way, right?
I met Calista on the way to the Great Hall for tea, and she talked on and on about Binns and how the History of Magic was so boring, and I told her about Herbology and the Bubotuber that looked like a black slug. She had nearly gagged at that part and agreed that she didn’t want fourth-year Herbology to come. We split up at the doors as per usual and went to our house tables. I sat next to Venatici and she spoke quietly, although I noticed she didn’t talk as much as the other girls. All too soon, the bell rang and I had forgotten all about Griffon. Instead, I chatted amiably with Helena and Lyra about Charms, and they told me it was the second worst class after History of Magic. I groaned loudly at that.
Well, Charms was next, my class of the day, so I made my way over to that classroom, meeting a few first years I knew on the way. Unfortunately, Merlin himself seemed to have something against me, when I bumped into that stupid, annoying prat, Griffon, again. This time, he got the upper hand (especially since he was taller) and shoved me to the ground, making my Herbology book go flying. I was furious as I looked up at him from the floor. He picked up my book and held it in front of my face, dangling it, as if I would snatch at it. His smirk was annoying the heck out of me, but I just sat there, looking up at him with furious eyes, refusing to touch my book now that he had it.
“At least now you know your place, first-year. Below me, lower than the scum on my shoe. Well, at least you are,” he taunted, and I felt my fingers ball up into a fist. I stood, still silent, but rage was evident in my stance and face. He didn’t seem to be afraid of me slapping him or something, especially in our close proximity, and instead laughed openly at me and stepped away. He took out his wand, and before I could yell, he had made my book invisible, and I gasped at his hand that was seemingly holding nothing. He smirked again at me and made as to throw it, and before I could think, I had grabbed his arm, stopping him from launching it, probably down the corridor where I would never see it again, quite literally.
“Stop! Why are you being such a bully?!” I yelled at him. He laughed again at me.
“This is what you get for hitting a third-year with a jelly-legs jinx!” His face came close to mine, rage evident in his darkened hazel eyes.
“If you think this is revenge, you aren’t very thoughtful about it,” I growled, and he sneered at me.
“This isn’t revenge at all. It’s me picking on a first-year, which happens to be you, a Half-blood I’ve begun to loathe.” He put the book in his other hand, and, once again, before I could register what I had done, I’d slapped him. Hard. Students who had been watching us gasped audibly, and silence filled the corridor, everyone anticipating what he would do. Griffon looked absolutely shell-shocked as his cheek began to redden. I bet that was a big blow on his pride, but before he could even register what had just happened in that pea-sized brain of his, I quickly recovered, grabbed the invisible object in his hand, and ran.
“I’M GOING TO GET YOU, GWYDION!!!” he yelled, and I ignored him, choosing instead to run for my life, up the moving staircases and to the second floor.
“Why do I always get into trouble?” I murmured to myself, feeling utterly foolish. And it was only my first day!
When I finally got to Charms, all the students were already in their seats and the bell’s echo was still in the air. Flitwick gave me a disapproving look before pointing his head at the only empty seat in the class. I took it gratefully, smiling apologetically at the boy next to me, then proceeded to take out parchment for notes.
I still had the problem with my invisible book, and I looked at the boy sitting next to me. “Are you a first-year?” I whispered, and he turned to look at me as if I had grown another head, before nodding slowly. I grumbled to myself, earning another strange look from the boy, and began to feel around for my Herbology textbook. Poor bloke sitting next to me probably thought I’d gone mad, if he hadn’t thought that already. I just grinned apologetically at him again.
“Sorry, my book was turned invisible,” I explained, and the boy just nodded before paying attention once again. I sighed and began attempting to listen to Flitwick speak with Griffon’s threat still going on in my head.
Griffon scared me. He really did. I don’t know how in the world I was able to build up such confidence in front of him all of a sudden! Was it because I wasn’t back in my quiet neighborhood in Surrey? Was it just the way he made me so angry? I had no clue whatsoever. I was afraid of what was going to happen now, that he got slapped by a first-year. I snickered to myself. No one probably had even attempted to hit him the way I did. And the way I could see my hand print on his cheek afterwards in red!
Oh my, this class period was so excruciatingly long! I checked my timetable and groaned. It was only 4:15, and this class ended at 4:45! Thirty more minutes till I could go. My first, well technically second, day at Hogwarts was not going well at all. I huffed, ignoring the strange look the boy shot me. I was determined to make my stay here at Hogwarts enjoyable. ‘I refuse to get bullied!’ I thought angrily to myself, and huffed again just for good measure and began scribbling notes down furiously.
The bell finally rang, and I flew out of the classroom and to the dungeons under the school. In front of me was a stone wall, and I shifted my bag to my other shoulder before uttering the password.
“Draco Dormiens,” I said quickly, and the stone wall moved out, then to the side, opening it enough to let me in. I walked into the whirlwind of green and silver, and saw other students lounging around, talking and playing games. I marveled at the way two students were playing chess, only the pieces moved on its own and smashed each other, creating a very messy game. Yet, it was fun to watch.
Another group of students were playing a card game called Exploding Snap, a game I didn’t really understand how to play. I quickly went up to my dorm room and deposited my book bag on my bed, then went down to join their game.
Exploding Snap kept me very entertained, but I found myself yearning to play Wizard’s Chess, so after another round, I went over to the girl with extremely curly dark red hair who owned the set. It was exactly like my favourite game, chess, back in the Muggle world, and I found myself entranced. We played twice, and both times I won spectacularly. The poor girl was absolutely horrified. Even though the chess pieces gave her no trouble, my tactic won every time.
It was nearly an hour and a half later that I found myself studying in the library. Many students were in there, more Gryffindors and Ravenclaws than there were Slytherins. I was putting the finishing touches on my one-foot long essay for my first class, when Cepheus and his friend came to sit with me along with Calista.
“I don’t care about our house differences,” she had stated when I brought it up, “You are my friend and I wouldn’t care if you were the biggest outcast in the Wizarding world, I would still sit with you and be your friend.” I had to smile at that. She truly was my best mate, no matter what house she was in. 
Once homework was partially done, the bell rang, reminding us of dinner, so we picked up our books and such, dropped it off in our common rooms, then met up to walk down to the Great Hall. Calista and I talked a bit, and the boys talked between themselves as well, and I felt absolutely ecstatic. This day was going perfectly. That is, until I sat down at the Slytherin table.
Griffon was there, glowering at me, and I shot a sardonic grin at him before turning my attention to the girls sitting around me, as well as my food. I chatted and ate, ignoring the other buzz around us as we girls gossiped about wizards, witches, and the latest Wonder Witch products. I was learning more and more about this Wizarding world and it was absolutely marvelous!
I was done eating before everyone, and I just talked and listened, feeling very satisfied with my settling in here. I was welcome and liked by my peers, and it felt wonderful to be away from that awful school I had gone to in the Muggle world.
After dinner, the Slytherin gang of girls walked around, talking some more and gossiping, and when we were a good distance away from the Great Hall, I heard someone give a shot that sounded very much like, “Watch out!” I turned to face the noise, and saw a jet of silver light head toward me. It struck me before I had a chance to blink, and I was thrown into the air. I looked down at the ground that was coming speedily towards me and fell on my bum hard. And quite suddenly, I felt the sensation of being tickled, and I laughed and laughed and laughed.
I couldn’t stop! It was absolutely horrid. Everyone was staring at me like I had gone mad, and Helena came over to me and tried to help me up, but even her touch was tickling me. I could not stop laughing, and I knew who had done this to me.
“Griffon!” I wheezed out, still laughing and wasting air by trying to stop. Finally, the feeling subsided, and I was left breathless, the Slytherin girls sending glares to anyone who happened to glance our way.
“Are you all right?” Helena asked, and I gasped.
“Yes, I’m all right. It was Griffon, I know it!” I gasped for more air again, then I suddenly felt rage seep through my body. “I need to learn more spells to get him back,” I growled, and Virgo suddenly came to my side.
“I can help you with that. I’ve got Bewitch Your Friends and Befuddle Your Enemies with the Latest Revenges: Hair Loss, Jelly-Legs, Tongue-Tying and Much, Much More by Professor Vindictus Viridian from my father. Come to my dorm room.” I nodded, waved my goodbyes and thanks, then followed Virgo to the Slytherin room.
Once in there, we practised spells and jinxes of all sorts on each other. Some were much too difficult, so we practised only those even a first-year usually wouldn’t be able to do, and the ones we tried worked well. After jinxing Virgo with jelly-legs again, I grinned.
“Oh Virgo, I don’t know how I’ll be able to show my gratitude! This is just too good! I’ll get him tomorrow after breakfast,” I said with a gleeful smirk, and Virgo collapsed onto the floor, her emerald eyes twinkling.
The next morning, I woke early once again. Lyra, Auriga, Helena, Adrina, Celina, and a handful of other girls were still fast asleep. I took my time washing and dressing, and it was soon eight-thirty. The other girls had only begun stirring when I grabbed my 12” wand, stuffing it into my robe and walking out. Cepheus was once again on the couch down in the common room, and I waved my hand.
“Waiting for Lexeos, eh?”
“How’d you know?” Cepheus replied with a lazy smirk in my direction. I rolled my eyes and grinned back at him.
“Lucky guess. I’m going down to breakfast. See you.” He just nodded and I went through the wall, heading towards the Great Hall. About, maybe, fifteen feet away from the hall, I spotted Griffon sweet-talking a student in the corridor, smiling a saccharine smile at her. I rolled my eyes, then smirked and took cover behind a large tapestry, remembering my want for revenge. I shut my eyes tight to remember the incantation, then pointed my wand carefully at the unsuspecting bloke.
Locomotor Mortis!” I whispered, and a beam of light shot out from my wand, hitting him in the legs. The girl saw the light before he did, and when it hit him, he was stuck there, looking around bewildered and unable to move his legs. Then, as I continued to spy on him, he caught sight of the tapestry rustling a bit, pulling out his wand in fury, and pointed it straight at me.
Petrificus Totalus!” he yelled, but I dodged it. I grinned and stepped out from behind the tapestry which proved to be a bad idea. Both the girl and he pointed their wands at me.
Incarcerous!
Impedimenta!
I squeaked and dodged the first spell, but not the second. I tripped over nothing and fell flat on my face in front of them, and while they laughed, I wiped my nose and pointed my wand back at the two, my face contorted in a dark glower. I had only memorised four spells too advanced for my year, and three were jinxes. It would come in handy now.
Langlock! Furnunculus!” The girl screamed as boils began to cover her skin, and Griffon was attempting to talk with his tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth. I grinned at the two, and, in order to cover my tracks, I saw dust on the tapestry and with a flick of my wand and the incantation of Tergeo, it was clean. If McGonagall ever checked my wand, she would see Tergeo instead of Furnunculus. I laughed at my brilliance and at my victims, and put my wand away, waving at the two teenagers before skipping off to breakfast. Who knew one could kill two birds with one stone, all before breakfast?
Today I had my two usual morning classes, then Dark Arts, Herbology, and Flying. Dark Arts and Flying both sounded absolutely intriguing. I couldn’t wait to get into Flying, especially. To fly all over the place on a wooden broom also sounded a bit frightening, but intriguing all the same.
The first two classes were the usual; boring as Binns. I spoke a little with Juni, but didn’t see him all day. The bell rang once again after Calista and I arrived in the Dark Arts classroom after attempting to find the right door that wasn’t pretending to be a wall, and the professor, Amnisity, walked in. After he introduced himself and took attendance, he began lecturing on the Dark Arts, Voldemort, Death eaters, curses, and other things, and it entranced me, much like Transfiguration had. I took down some notes, while Calista seemed bored out of her mind. I smiled at the parchment I had and wrote down some more, so taken with this class, that, when the bell rang, I was immensely sad that it was already over. I collected my things and Calista and I walked out and headed out.
“You seemed to like that class a lot,” she noted, and I nodded.
“It’s so interesting, how those curses could be developed, and Amnisity talks with such passion on these subjects, unlike Binns, that it’s actually interesting!” Calista rolled her eyes.
“Well, I think it’s a load of dragon dung, and a large waste of my time.”
“Oh, shut it Calista. I think it’s a wonderful class.”
“Emily, come on! I mean, who really wants to learn about Voldemort and stuff?” I shrugged.
“I guess I do!” She rolled her eyes again and bid me goodbye before going the other way. I went to Herbology next, which went by much too slowly for my liking, and there were no other words from Venatici, except for a small, “hi”. The bell rang before I knew it, and I flew to the field where the Flying class was taking place, my last class of the day. Calista was already there, looking down at the row of brooms on the ground while standing right next to one. I glanced around and stood by a broom on the ground as well right next to her.
“Hi,” I said with a smile, and she smiled tentatively.
“Hey.”
“Are you excited about flying?” I asked with a grin, and she looked hesitantly the broom.
“Um, well, a bit,” she stuttered uncertainly, and I rolled my eyes.
“You’re scared aren’t you.”
“No! A Gryffindor is never scared!” she declared, then faltered in her stance. “Well, Hermione Granger was a bit afraid of flying, right?” I rolled my eyes again and opened my mouth to say something, when Madam Hooch arrived and began speaking.
“Welcome to your first lesson of flying, today, first-years! I am Madam Hooch. Let’s see, I’ll take attendance first.” She proceeded to call all of our surnames, then rolled up the parchment and put it away. “Now, everyone, put your hand directly above your broomstick, and call, ‘up’.” What I presumed was her broom flew into her hand, and I gasped with excitement. I looked at my own and grinned.
A chorus of “up’s” filled the air, mine along with it. The first time I didn’t succeed, although few did, but the second time I did. The broom flew into my hand and I smiled proudly as I gripped it tightly. Finally, the chorus calmed down, and Madam Hooch smiled again.
“Now, all of you will get onto your brooms as such. You place two hands on your broom, one in front of the other, and put your leg over and sit on it.” She demonstrated for us, and I immediately followed.
“Very good! Now, in order to fly them, you have to kick off with one foot and pull the broomstick up. To land safely, you must slow your broom down and go slowly down to the ground and planting both feet firmly on the ground.” She did it quickly and came back down with extreme skill. I was fascinated and kicked off with my right foot and pulled up, and, quite suddenly, I was moving. My feet were off the ground! I was flying!!!
I squealed loudly as the other students below me began turning smaller. A few other students followed after me, and we circled the field a bit. The air rushed around me, whipping my hair behind me, and I was laughing. I wanted to go faster, although I wasn’t totally sure how to, but flying was like an instinct to me. I landed the way she had told us, but I was still thrown off my broom roughly and landed on my back. I groaned, shook my head to regroup myself, and stood up quickly and retrieved my broom. I noticed Calista in the corner of my eye and sauntered over to her, broom in hand, with a smug look on my face.
“You still haven’t got it yet?”
Calista looked up at me and shook her head, a pitiful look on her face.
“I’m too scared,” she whimpered and I grinned.
“Ask Madam Hooch to help you,” I replied, and she gave me a small smile before walking over to Hooch. I just smiled happily and kicked off on my broom again. The landing may have been rough, but the ride was worth it.
After another forty-five minutes, Madam Hooch dismissed us with the warning that we weren’t allowed to fly outside of the class. I grumbled to myself a bit before putting my broom along with the others in a pile. Calista and I talked a bit while walking around the corridors, till we somehow ended up near the dungeons. I smiled my goodbye to her and walked in front of a bare stone wall in the dungeons. 
There was no sign of Griffon for the next two days. Classes went by quickly, and I was dead tired Thursday morning after a forty-five minute lesson in the Astronomy tower at midnight. I was glad, though, when we first-years got Friday afternoon off. I was beginning to tire of the nonstop talking of admiration Cepheus had for Malfoy after Potions, and I learned nothing new about spells, except for their origin. Transfiguration, Potions, Dark Arts, and Flying were the only four classes that didn’t bore me to absolute death. The thought of Griffon getting his revenge was always in the back of my mind, though. I began to wonder what he had in store for me.
After classes on Friday, I rushed to the library to finish my homework. Griffon would never find me there, and I really did have homework to do… Well, anyway, I finished my work in less than two hours, and just lounged around till the bell rang for dinner. Only after everyone left, did I go out to the Great Hall alone.
‘Why am I so afraid of Griffon? After all, I did hit him with that jinx…I shouldn’t be afraid of him at all!’ I thought to myself as I walked. I scoffed at my stupidity and began walking confidently through the corridors. I could see the Great Hall doors, and I reached them quickly, and went through to sit with the Slytherins. Griffon wasn’t there, curiously, but I thought nothing of it. He was now the last thing on my mind.
I walked with the Slytherin girls to our common room, and we talked a bit before I got bored and decided to play Gobstones with some of the boys. It was an extremely messy game, although loads of fun. Lyra, Christalin, Auriga, Virgo and Celina joined us after a little while along with more girls, and Cepheus got more boys to play. We decided to create our own little game, boys against girls, and the boys won by a point. The competition was so thick in the air, that we all agreed to play Exploding Snap, then, when the girls won, it was decided that Wizard’s Chess would decide the final winner.
“Before we play,” Cepheus stated in a business-like tone, “what shall be at stake?”
“The Gobstone set!”
“The Wizard’s Chess set!”
“The cards!”
“A Knut for each winner!”
“A Sickle!”
“A Galleon!”
“No, the Wizard’s Chess set!”
“Yes, the set! The set!”
“SHUT UP!”
The last voice shut everyone up, and a tall fourth-year boy with dark hair, eyes, and skin, stood up. “Okay, everyone can put in two Knuts, and who owns the Wizard’s Chess set?” He looked around, his black eyes finally falling on a younger boy with hazel-blue eyes and sandy hair, who stood as well, crossing his arms.
“It’s mine. I’m willing to give it to the winner. I mean, I’m a genius at Wizard’s Chess, and I’m willing to play anyone for it.” The boys mumbled their agreement, and the boy nodded.
“Okay then, Tom here is willing to play any one of the girls to represent their team for the chess set and the money. Who’s willing?”
“We’re going to regroup and pick a player, all right?” Helena called, and the boy nodded, and gathered the boys for a talk as well and going to the other side of the room.
“All right, who’s played this game before?” Every girl, except for Lyra and Auriga, raised their hands. Helena nodded, her long blonde hair shaking with her. “Now the question is, who’s good?”
“That girl, right there,” someone said. I saw the same girl with curly red hair I had beaten in the game four days ago, and I grinned as she pointed at me.
“Gwydion?” Helena asked, and the girl nodded. Helena gave me a questioning look, and I shrugged.
“She beat me twice with my own set, even though the pieces were giving her an atrocious time. Her tactic is splendid!” she said, and I shrugged.
“Yeah, it is true. I did beat her twice.”
“Is everyone all right with it?” Helena asked, and everyone nodded. She turned to face the boys.
“All right! We’ve got our representative!” The boys came and Tom stepped out from the group, grinning.
“Ready to lose?” he asked, and I shrugged.
“If you’re ready to lose,” I replied, and he grinned again.
“We’ll see.” He stuck out his pale hand and I shook it quickly before we sat down. Everyone else surrounded us.
“Wait a minute!” the fourth-year boy said immediately. “Everyone put out two Knuts next to the board!” Everyone complied; bronze coins were now surrounding the chess board, as was everyone else. Tom started first with his white pieces, and had moved his soldier two spaces. The game had begun.
It was excruciatingly long, the way we kept blocking the attacks we both had, and the battered pieces were piling up on the sides. I finally saw, with one more move, that I could check his king.
“Queen to D2,” Tom said, making the first mistake in the whole game without knowing it. Thankfully, with my critical eye, I caught it, and grinned at him.
“Queen to B4,” I said, and Tom’s eyes bulged. The king threw his stone-white crown at my queen, and Tom shouted.
“NO!!!” All the boys groaned and shouted as well, as the girls screamed their delight, taking all the Knuts and piling the stone pieces back on the chess board. Tom grimly came to me and held out his hand again.
“Good game,” I said with a smile, and he just shrugged.
“It was a fair game. You’re a good opponent.” He smirked at me and picked up the board and handed it to me. The girls all cheered as the boys kept silent in depression. I took the board and pieces to my room and collected my four Knuts.
“That was a great game!” Lyra said with delight.
“Yes, that was brilliant!” Auriga agreed. The twins smiled.
“You need to teach us some time!” Lyra added. I laughed and nodded in agreement.
“I’d love to!”
 -
My popularity was short-lived, although Tom never seemed to be able to accept it, and everyone enjoyed a nice Friday evening in our common room, quietly ignoring Tom who was questioning me about every move I made.
“Okay, Tom, give it a break!” I finally said exasperatedly, and he furrowed his brows.
“Just answer another question, please?” he asked, and I rolled my eyes.
“No! I want to play Gobstones with the girls. If you’ll excuse me,” and I walked off, leaving him to look after me with questions on his lips. I smiled at the girls, and Lyra handed me a marble which promptly spit at me.
“Ugh, gross!” I cried, wiping my face.
“Sorry, I lost a point,” Lyra said, laughing hard.
“She’s not very good,” Auriga added.
“Thanks for telling me,” I said with a grin, and flicked the marble hard, missing another by two inches. My marble turned and spit at me again. The girls laughed again as I wiped it off my face. “Let’s get this over with!” I cried and grinned as a marble spit at another girl.
 -
The next several weeks were the usual. Classes, meals, games, fun, and, surprisingly, no Griffon. In fact, I had forgotten all about him and our little war. Juni and I were beginning to become much better friends, and Calista and I were as close as ever. Venatici was warming up to me very slowly, but it was a start. We were beginning to have more than one-word conversations. My stay at Hogwarts was beginning to seem bright. Unfortunately, the holidays came, and I looked forward to going home, only, one letter dashed those hopes quick.  
“What?!” I exclaimed as soon as I had read the owl from my mother. Ollie had already flown off to be with the other owls, and I was gaping at the parchment in my hand.
“What is it?” Helena asked, her mouth full of food, and she leaned over to read it as well.
“My mum’s going to Romania to see the dragons without me! I can’t believe her! And not only that, she said she’s going to find me a new father! I don’t want a new father!” I crumpled the letter up in my fist and stood up abruptly.
“Emily, wait!” someone called from behind me, but I was much too angry to care. I stormed out of the Great Hall and walked all the way to the dungeons, where I slumped next to the Slytherin door, my head resting on my bent knees.
After a long while, Lyra and Auriga found me, still in the same position, and came to both sides of me.
“It’s all right, Emily. No one’s going to force you to call him ‘Father’,” Lyra cooed while stroking my hair.
“And the dragons aren’t going to go anywhere,” Auriga said, and patted my shoulder.
“Yes, you could stay with us if you’d like!”
“We have a large mansion with no one else but our parents and House elves in it!”
“And we have a pool—”
“A large pool!”
“—and lots of pets that you’d like!”
“Come stay with us, Emily! You’d love it there!” I raised my tear-stained face up and smiled at my good friends.
“You two are the best friends ever,” I said with a sniffle, and wiped my face on my robes before getting up. I fixed my hat back on my head and picked up my book bag.
“Let’s go to class. Professor Longbottom says that the holidays start this Friday!” Auriga said with a grin.
“Yes! We can pull a lot of pranks, you know, now that we’ll have the time!” Lyra added, and I laughed despite my depression. Those twins could always turn a sad situation right-side up.
“Well, off to class we go!” I said, adding a bit of cheer to my voice.
“Onward, ho!” they crowed, and I laughed, following them to class.
 -
The winter holidays were here, and almost all my friends were leaving. Calista, Cepheus, Lyra and Auriga, Helena, Virgo, Lydia, Celina, Adrina, and Christalin were leaving. I had declined the invitation Lyra and Auriga had so graciously offered; I would feel as if I were intruding. Everyone else also had plans with their families, and I felt very alone. That meant only a handful of other students were going to stay.
“Hey Veruca,” I called as I sat around in the common room, “What do you want to do?” The black-haired girl shrugged.
“Want to play Gobstones again?” Veruca was exceptionally good, and had a dream to be on the professional Gobstones team one day.
“No thanks. I’d lose too quick. Wizard’s Chess?”
“No, you’re too good! I’d lose in an instant!”
“Exploding Snap?”
“We’ve played that too much.”
“Oh my, this break is going to be very long.”
I sighed and slumped lower into the armchair. “Fine, I’m going to go out and wander around,” I replied, and she only nodded. I got up and went out and saw few students around. Almost all the first years were gone; the only students left that I recognized were either in their fourth or fifth year. Suddenly, I saw Juniper out of the corner of my eye, and grinned.
“Juni!” I called, and waved to him. He shot his dazzling white smile at me and walked over. He brushed his black hair out of his sparkling blue eyes as he always did, and smiled again.
“What’re you doing here?” he asked.
“My mum’s in Romania, looking at dragons and searching for a husband,” I replied glumly, and his usually bright and cheery face fell.
“Oh. Sorry ‘bout that.” I shrugged, and he quickly hurried to say something else. “Well, my parents are going to Egypt. I don’t know why, said something like wanting to go see the pyramids or something.” I gave him a bewildered look and he shrugged. “I blame it on my younger brother. He’s learning about pyramids back at his school.” 
“That’s…interesting,” I said, and he smiled.
“So where were you heading?”
“Oh, anywhere! I really didn’t care. You?”
“Oh, outside. It’s chilly in here, but outside is fresher.”
I smiled.
“Great! I’ll go with you. You don’t mind, do you?” I asked, and he shook his head.
“Of course not! Come on! Oh, and watch out for the mistletoe. Longbottom enchanted them so no one could get out until they kissed.” I grinned at him and took his arm, and we walked towards the door looking out for mistletoe when Griffon quite suddenly rammed into my shoulder.
“OW! What the heck is your problem?!” I yelled at him, and he rolled his eyes.
“You bumped into me, first-year,” he muttered and walked off. I could have sworn there was a bloody black cloud over his head, and I looked after him, shocked. He didn’t hex me! He didn’t vituperate me at all!
“What’s his problem?” I asked Juni, and he shrugged.
“Isn’t that better for you? You have nothing to worry about now!” I gaped at him.
“I think something’s wrong with him,” I said with a shake of my head. I sighed and walked ahead of him and suddenly bumped into something. An invisible wall. Confused, I began banging on it, and people around me began to chuckle.
I heard a startled voice behind me say my name, and I turned to find Tom gaping at me. I groaned and looked up. Mistletoe.
“We’re stuck under mistletoe. Great,” I muttered. Tom rolled his eyes and sighed, taking a step closer to me.
“If we want to get out, we have to kiss,” he said. A whole crowd of the few students who were left during the holidays had surrounded us. I rolled my eyes.
“Fine.” I shut my eyes tight and waited, all the while thinking, ‘I’m getting my first kiss! Oh my, I didn’t want it to be with Tom in these circumstances! What am I going to do? My first kiss! At eleven years old!!!’
When I felt his presence near, I jumped, and Tom sighed heavily.
“You have to calm down, or else it’s not going to work!” I glared at him as he smiled shyly before shutting my eyes tight again and leaning heavily on the invisible wall behind me.
He brushed my lips with his quickly, and that seemed to suffice the mistletoe because immediately the wall behind me gave way and I fell onto my bum. I opened my eyes and looked around to see if anyone was laughing at me, but the crowd that had just been there was now gone. Juni helped me up as Tom looked at me, gave me a half-shrug, and walked off.
“Where is everyone?” I asked him, and he grinned, pointing at the crowd now a few feet away.
“Professor Granger and Malfoy got caught under the mistletoe. They’re arguing.” Sure enough, I could hear their shouts a mile away.
“WHY DON’T YOU JUST VANISH THE STUPID MISTLETOE, BOOK-WORM?!” Malfoy yelled.
“BECAUSE LONGBOTTOM MADE IT IMMUNE TO THAT KIND OF MAGIC, YOU TOSSER! AND THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A BOOK-WORM!”
“I DON’T WANT TO KISS YOU, YOU FRIZZY-HAIRED FREAK!”
“SUCK IT UP, YOU BIG BABY! WE’RE MAKING A TERRIBLE SCENEAS TWO PROFESSORS FOR THE STUDENTS!”
Juni and I rushed to go see the spectacle, and I heard Malfoy curse under his breath. Most of the Slytherins watching laughed.
“Malfoy! Don’t curse in front of the students!” she yelled. Malfoy glared at her dangerously.
“Don’t tell me what to do, Granger,” he replied. Granger rolled her eyes and looked once again back up at the ceiling.
“Kiss me already so we can go off our separate ways.” Malfoy turned to look at the crowd and raised his brows, a smirk on his face. He turned back to her and swaggered over slowly, as to intimidate her, but she stood her ground.
“Whatever, Granger, you asked for it.”
“Malfoy, you know that we—” She was cut off when his lips came firmly upon hers. It was merely a quick peck, but the mistletoe freed them, leaving Granger blushing and attempting to act like it hadn’t affected her, while Malfoy stood smirking.
“Good enough for you?” he drawled.
“Whatever,” she huffed before turning on her heel and walking off. Malfoy only chuckled and walked off the opposite way. Once the two professors left, everyone began gossiping and laughing at the scene that had just played before them.
“Wow, that was interesting!” I said, laughing. Juni was smirking.
“Those two professors are intense!”
“I know,” I agreed, “They must really hate each other!”
“Nah, I don’t think they hate each other. I think they really like each other, actually.” I gave him a strange look.
“Um, did you just see that spectacle there?” Juni shrugged and I rolled my eyes. “Okay, like I’m going to believe that my biggest enemy likes me.”
“Yeah, like Malfoy could fancy Granger, just like Griffon could fancy you!” I outright burst into laughter, causing a sour look to creep onto Juni’s face.
“Griffon?! Like—me?!” I wheezed. Juni shrugged.
“It could happen.”
“Juniper, I am only a first-year. He’s a third-year! There is no way.” Juni just shrugged again and I sighed. “Believe what you want. I’m going to the Great Hall for tea. See you.” Juni just waved and walked off.
I reanalysed the scene between Professor Malfoy and Granger in my head, and began to see things I hadn’t paid attention to before, like Granger blushing after the kiss, and Malfoy’s smirk at the crowd before he approached her. Then, I recalled the last four months of the two in my head. It was blatantly obvious that they disliked each other. After all, they were always in competition! There was no way.
My thoughts scattered when I found myself in front of the Slytherin table in the Great Hall. “Hey,” Veruca greeted me, “Sit down. Here, eat a scone. They have a bit of a lemon taste to them. Different, but good.” I smiled and sat down to eat, all thoughts of any romance far from my mind.
 -
On Christmas morn, I woke to find several gifts at the foot of my empty dormitory. Veruca and Antlia Venatici rushed into my room.
“Happy Christmas!” Veruca crowed with a grin, and Venatici grinned at me.
“Happy Christmas,” I echoed with a smile.
“What did you get for Christmas?” Venatici asked me.
“Well, I don’t know yet!” I said with a laugh. “How ‘bout you, Venatici?”
“Call me Antlia,” she said softly, and I smiled as Veruca raised a brow at her.
“Okay, Antlia, what did you get?”
“My dad sent me an actual kitten, a little black one with one white paw, and a load of Herbology things from my friends and relatives.”
“I got a new gold bracelet and necklace from my mum and dad! It’s got a dozen diamonds on it, and it’s really rare,” Veruca suddenly put in. I examined the set, and smiled.
“It’s beautiful!” She grinned at the compliment.
“I know! Open your gifts now!”
I happily acquiesced, starting with the emerald-green package wrapped prettily with a silver bow. Under the wrapping was a beautiful necklace. It was extremely simple, but beautiful nonetheless. It was on a light silver chain, and the pendant was an emerald-green locket shaped as a circle with a snowflake inscribed on it. I opened it, and a Christmas carol suddenly began to play. It startled me so much that I closed the locket. Only then did I notice the parchment that accompanied the gift.
‘Hope you like it! It’s an enchanted locket to play any song you’d like! Hope you’re having a happy Christmas! Love, Helena,’ I read. I grinned and opened the locket again. A song I had heard from the old wizard band, the Weird Sisters, began playing, and I grinned, closing it again.
“That’s an amazing gift!” Antlia said with a smile, and I nodded.
Helena gave it to me.” I reached for a dark scarlet-wrapped gift that was very small. I unwrapped a small velvet box and, in that, was a ring with a large blood-red stone, the colour of fire, and a little dragon had been carved in it. The dragon moved around inside the stone, only outlined in gold, and it breathed golden fire every so often.
‘Darling, I hope you’re having a splendid time at Hogwarts! I am sorry to leave you so suddenly, and I hope you enjoy this ring! I wanted to send you a miniature dragon, but since dragons are illegal in the United Kingdom, I refrained from doing so. I hope you like it anyway! Love, Mum.’
No matter how angry I was with my mother, she did know how to pick gifts. The ring was absolutely beautiful, and I put it on right away. My two mates admired it, Veruca once in a while looking at her jeweled bracelet in disdain. The next few gifts were wonderful as well, but not as nice as the necklace and ring. The two that I did like, however, were the Canary Creams and Dungbombs that Virgo, Lyra, and Auriga had sent me. How like them!
The joy of opening gifts was now done, and we three girls went down to breakfast. I met Lexeos on the way, and waved at him.
“Nice ring. Who gave that to you?” he asked.
“My mum. She’s in Romania right now.” I admired the ring once again, then looked back at Lexeos. “Who sent you your ring?” I asked, and he looked down at the dark blue ring on his finger as if noticing it for the first time.
“Oh, it’s the Lexeos signet ring. It’s been in the family for years.” I nodded, then looked into his blue eyes for the first time since our arrival to Hogwarts.
“Well, happy Christmas!” I said with a smile, and he nodded.
“Happy Christmas,” he replied, and I walked ahead of him into the Great Hall and to the Slytherin table.
 -
Having no classes was wonderfully relaxing, except extremely boring. I was wary of the mistletoe hanging from the ceiling, and made every effort to avoid it in order to stay far away from the same thing that had happened to me and Tom. I had seen Griffon thrice in two hours, and all three times he walked around like a black cloud was hanging over his head. He didn’t go for revenge, he didn’t even seek me out to vituperate me. I wanted to talk to him and ask him what was wrong, because it was irritating me endlessly. I had even purposefully passed him once, but he acted as if he hadn’t seen me, he was so deep in his thoughts. I thought I heard him apologise once, and almost fainted from surprise.
There was only one way to talk to him without fear of him walking away, although that would mean I’d have to kiss him. Ew, but it was worth the try. I didn’t want our spats to end just because of a reason I didn’t know! No matter how weird it sounded, I cared why my enemy didn’t act like he hated me anymore. I was extremely curious.
I followed Griffon until I noticed he was avoiding the mistletoe just like I had been, and I waited till we were in a nearly empty corridor before pushing his muscular frame right under it, following him and effectively trapping us in the invisible walls again.
“What the hell?!” he exclaimed, and nearly started when he saw me under it with him. He growled under his breath, looked around to see if anyone was watching, then glared at me. “Did you want to kiss me so bad you had to push me in here?!” he growled. I shook my head.
“I want to know why you keep avoiding me! And why you seem like you have a bloody black cloud over your head all the time!” He rolled his hazel eyes.
“I thought you’d be glad our stupid spats stopped. And it’s none of your bloody business!” He leaned over as if to kiss me and escape, but I quickly covered my mouth. “Let me bloody kiss you so I can leave! Wow, I can’t believe this,” he snapped.
“Just tell me, and I’ll kiss you! Is that so hard?!” I said, my voice muffled from under my hand.
“I’m only going to tell you because I hate you. My owl died. Happy?” He ripped my hand from my mouth and planted a quick kiss on my mouth before retracting quickly from me as if I was horribly diseased and storming off. I glared at his retreating backside. He wasn’t telling the truth and I knew it. Ugh, why did I care so much anyway?! ‘He’s a third-year, he can take care of himself!’ I thought angrily to myself, and turned, only to run straight into Tom.
“Um, hi Tom,” I muttered. His hazel-blue eyes looked inscrutable, and he was frowning. “What?”
“Do you fancy Griffon?” he asked coldly. I raised my eyebrows.
“No! Why would I?” I exclaimed, and it was his turn to glare at me.
“Well, you pushed him under the mistletoe and pretty much acted like you cared about him. I mean, I think you’re seeking for his attention! And I don’t think you’d do that unless you fancied him. Well, you do seem to be kissing everyone all over the place.” I sighed in exasperation.
“No, Tom. I don’t fancy anyone! I’m only eleven bloody years old! I’m too young to fancy anyone!” I made as to push past him, when I heard him mutter six words nearly inaudibly.
“I don’t think we’re too young.” He glared at me and walked off. This time, I gaped at Tom’s retreating backside. What!? Did he just hint that he fancied me?! My head was way too muddled up, and nothing made sense to me at the moment. Tom couldn’t fancy me! I surely didn’t want to push him under the mistletoe for information, and since he was my friend, I could just ask him in the common room later. I shook my head. Christmas Day was supposed to be happy and celebrated, not extremely confusing.
“Whatever,” I exclaimed finally, and walked into the Slytherin common room to head up to my dormitory. I had a lot of things to sort out in my mind.
 -
I didn’t come out of my dormitory for the whole afternoon. Antlia finally knocked on my door and opened it when I didn’t answer, and saw me on my four poster, staring up at the canopy.
“Emily?” she asked quietly, and I looked at her. “Are you all right? I haven’t seen you all day, and you missed lunch and tea!”
“I’m all right. I just needed to get some things sorted in my head.”
“Oh.” It was quiet for a little while until she cleared her throat. “Well, there’s going to be a party on New Year’s Eve in the Slytherin common room. Hope you get everything sorted by then.” I didn’t reply and she left me alone. Antlia seemed to be able to read everyone’s emotions extremely well, and I was glad for it at that moment.
 -
New Year’s Eve came, and, according to the Slytherin ‘party rule’, no one of any other house could come, so I kept it a secret from Juni, and my whole day went well. After wishing Juni a happy New Year’s Eve, I went into my dormitory, changed into more comfortable clothes, and sat there on my bed, still trying to sort everything out.
I finally went down when the noise down in the common room would no longer let me think. Might as well have some fun while I’m at it, I supposed. Down there, I saw Veruca talking amiably to some tall bloke, and Antlia talking quietly to Lexeos on the couch, and he suddenly grinned at her. I was a bit shocked. Lexeos didn’t smile like that at anyone!
I decided to avoid the two, just in case they didn’t want anyone intruding, and went for a drink instead. There was butterbeer, pumpkin juice, coffee, and tea on a large table that had probably been transfigured by an older Slytherin, and I grabbed a warm butterbeer. Music was blasting, and I bet that there was a silencing charm on the whole room in order to keep anyone outside from hearing it, mostly the professors and Filch. New Year’s surely was celebrated quite loudly here.
I noticed Tom sitting alone on a couch and I grabbed another butterbeer before squeezing through the crowd and joining him.
“Butterbeer?” I asked, and he took it. I clinked goblets with him and we drank. “This certainly is an interesting party,” I said with a sigh. He nodded.
“I’ve never seen anything like it. The one’s I’ve had were my relatives coming over, or my parents throwing a ball. Never anything like this. It’s a bit refreshing.”
“Are you a Pure-blood?”
“Yeah. Are you?”
“No. I’m a half-and-half.”
“Oh. Well, that’s nice. You get the best of the Muggle world and Wizarding world, I suppose.”
“Sure.”
We were both quiet after that, just sipping our butterbeers and surveying the dancing Slytherins before us. At ten o’ clock, I happened to glance at Antlia, and she and Lexeos were still talking, although he seemed to be flirting from the way Antlia’s face was extremely red. Maybe it was the heat. Someone suddenly cast a cooling charm, and I breathed a sigh of relief. There weren’t enough people to fill the whole common room to absolute claustrophobia, but there were enough to create a lot of body heat. It was a relief to feel suddenly cooler.
I glanced at Tom to catch him staring at me. He smiled when our eyes met, chocolate brown and hazel-blue. “Want to play Wizard’s Chess? It’s a bit suffocating right here, don’t you think?” I shrugged, remembering the brand new Wizard’s Chess set Calista had sent me.
“Sure. I’ll get the set from my room.” Tom’s eyes sparkled, and I raced up to my dormitory while contemplating to stay there the rest of the night and avoid him. Unfortunately, my conscience caught up with me and I brought my new set down to him. He was waiting in the corner of the room where it was a little quieter, and I checked the clock. Ten o’ five. An hour and fifty-five minutes until I could go and sleep the new year away.
“White always goes first,” he said with a grin, and I nodded absent-mindedly, moving my stone-white soldier two spaces forward.
 -
After an hour and a half of playing Wizard’s Chess, I was captivated. Tom was a spectacular player, and, since I beat him so well on the first game, we were keeping score. It was two-two. One more round and the tie would be broken. This was the only person that I really wasn’t sure I could beat.
“Ha!” Tom suddenly cried as his queen bashed my knight. I pursed my lips in concentration. My two most crucial pieces were my knights and towers. I only had one tower left, and in one move, he could conquer my tower, check my king, and win the game.
I swallowed, looking for a way out of the trap. I glanced at his queen, ready and poised to strike. I had a sudden idea. Instead of using my tower as he expected, I used my weakest piece; my soldier. He definitely hadn’t seen this one coming!
“What?!” he bellowed as my soldier weakly battered his queen and dragged her off. He clenched his teeth together. “I’m not going to lose to you again!”
We continued; only a short time before I would beat him with a smug look on my face. There were few times that I almost lost my precious tower, but it was just in time that I would save it and continue on with the game. We got rid of a lot of the pieces; towers, knights, bishops, but mostly soldiers. Finally, it seemed like a show-down in many of the western movies I had seen back in the Muggle world; my tower against his bishop.
He moved his to the right; I followed. I moved mine to the left; he followed. It seemed as if we had reached an impasse in this game, and quite suddenly, our concentration was broken by the loud countdown.
“10…9…8…” Tom glanced at me, and I looked back at him. He smiled, suddenly shy, and I had a weird feeling of déjà vu. I quickly glanced up at the ceiling and saw no mistletoe there. “…6…5…4…”
“Everyone needs to kiss someone at midnight,” he said softly, and I looked at him in surprise.
“3…2…1…HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!” Dozens of Weasley’s Wild-fire Whiz-Bangs shot into the air of the common room and exploded tremendously with a bang, showering a spectacular show of enchanted fireworks. It was amazing, and I grinned at Tom. His face had suddenly come much closer to mine, and I swallowed thickly.
“Happy New Year,” he whispered, and before I could respond, he pressed his lips lightly to my cheek before pulling away and blushing hard. I was shell-shocked. I could only smile weakly and look away. My gaze fell on Antlia, who was getting the same treatment from Lexeos, only, he kissed the corner of her mouth instead. I turned back to Tom after regrouping myself, and smiled.
“Happy New Year,” I replied, and he grinned again, his hazel-blue eyes shining. I tried to seem inconspicuous as I glanced down at the chess board and back up to him. Unfortunately, he had followed my gaze, and he smiled.
“Oh, and by the way, bishop to C5.” He winked. “Check, I win.” I huffed and he laughed. “Don’t get yourself worked up! It’s only a game.” He grinned, and I rolled my eyes. Right at that moment, I remembered what I had wanted to ask him six days prior. I cleared my throat.
“Tom, I want to ask you something.” He nodded and followed my over to a secluded place next to the stone staircase that led up to the girl’s dormitories. I cleared my throat again. “Tom, do you fancy me?” I asked thickly, and his eyes widened. He didn’t blush, but his cheeks were tinged pink, and he coughed, then looked at the ground.
“Um, well…er, yes, I guess I do.” He looked back up at me, his hazel-blue eyes warm.
“Tom, we’re way too young for dating. We’re only eleven!” I said exasperatedly. He frowned.
“I don’t believe so. I think we’re well matched with our strategic thinking, which I think is really rare in Slytherin.”
“Oh Tom!” I groaned, and he sighed.
“Well, we don’t have to pursue anything. But you mentioned dating. Does that mean you like me too?” He looked hopeful and I suddenly felt horrible. It was my turn to be nervous.
“Um, no, I don’t like you like that. I don’t fancy anyone, really. Maybe if we were older, I’d give you a chance, but we’re only eleven! I’m sorry.” Tom shook his head.
“No, it’s fine. How long do you think it’ll take you before you…consider?”
“Like, four years.” Tom paled.
“I see. Well, happy new year, Emily.” I smiled thankfully at him. He didn’t seem extremely hurt.
“Happy New Year.” I yawned suddenly and he laughed.
“Go to bed. See you tomorrow.” I nodded.
“Yeah, tomorrow. Goodnight.”
I went sleepily up the stairs, trying to ignore the loud celebration downstairs. I slept for nearly two hours before waking up and breathing harshly. A nightmare, I supposed.
I got out of bed quietly, noticing that it was now quieter. I donned on my black school robes and slipped into my shoes before venturing out into the common room. It was dark and empty. All remnants of the party were gone and cleaned up, except for the few drinks left out and abandoned. I wanted to go out into the cold air outside, and my feet led me out of the portrait door. The stone wall opened without a sound and I slipped out undetected. I went wherever my feet led me. I was soon out of the dungeons and was going the way towards the window, when I suddenly heard a soft giggle. Who would be out here at two in the morning?
“Stop it! Someone is going to hear!”
“No one should be out here except for Filch. And even then, Filch will get any student lingering around.”
Curious, I followed the voices, and was absolutely shocked for the second time this early morning. I hid behind a tapestry diagonal to the alcove the two people were in to watch.
“Shut up!”
“Why don’t you? You know, I think I’ll push you under the mistletoe again, just for good measure in front of all the students.”
“Ooh, if you do, I’ll hex you in front of them too! Won’t that be an embarrassment!”
“Oh, you won’t. You’re a Gryffindor! You have honour.”
“And Slytherins don’t?”
“Not Slytherins like me!”
“Can you please shut up and just kiss me?”
A short kiss was placed.
“There, good enough for you?”
“Let me rephrase. Let’s snog!” the woman said with fake cheerfulness in her voice. The male chuckled and kissed her once again. I was going to be sick. I wish I could remember a charm where I could turn invisible, like the one I had read about once somewhere, but I could only sit behind the tapestry, trying to avoid eyeing the snogging couple. What was worse was that I knew who those two were. Juniper was right.
Finally, they broke apart when I was beginning to freeze. The tapestry was right in front of a window, and the cold air continued blowing in with no mercy.
“Merlin, you know how to kiss,” the witch said breathlessly.
“I miss you, you know that?”
“What? We see each other everyday!”
“Not like before we both got this stupid job. No one can ever catch heed of this relationship, or we’ll be promoting—” the wizard shivered, “—interhouse unity!”
I stifled a giggle.
“Well, sir, it’s not like you were going to ask me to marry you any time soon.”
“Very true. My parents would kill me, even though they’re bloody old.”
“I can’t say the same for mine. They’d love it.”
“Oh, shut up!”
“Well, we’ve surpassed all the odds, haven’t we?”
“Sure. Oh, I wanted to ask you something.”
“What?”
It was quiet for awhile, and I gasped when I saw him get down on one knee in front of her. This was not happening.
“Hermione Granger, I have completely fallen in love with you, and I can’t imagine spending my life with anyone else. I don’t care if you burst out laughing because it sounds like a bunch of bollocks. Will you marry me?”
There was an audible gasp.
“I—I thought you said…yes! Yes I will! Good Merlin, I thought you’d never ask!” There was another snog session while I tried to regroup myself. Slytherin and Gryffindor? Professor and Professor? DRACO MALFOY AND HERMIONE GRANGER?!?!?!?! GETTING MARRIED?!!?!?!!!
When I awoke, it was quiet and thankfully I was still hidden behind the tapestry. Professor Malfoy and Granger loved each other. They were getting married. Oh Merlin, I was going to be sick. Or perhaps I was going to faint again.
This stupid love fest; couldn’t it have waited till Valentine’s Day? Maybe then I could’ve handled it better! Good Merlin, married? Malfoy and Granger? Ugh.
I walked off to the Slytherin common room and traveled up to my bed. Malfoy and Granger getting married? It couldn’t be possible! Oh, Juni would love to wave it around in my face. I could already imagine the conversation:
 
“Hey Juni, Professor Malfoy and Granger are getting married! You were right. They do fancy each other!”
“I told you so. Watch, next Griffon will be asking you out! And soon, everyone will be promoting interhouse unity!”
 
Ooh, how would Cepheus take it? And Calista? I giggled, imagining that conversation:
 
“Hey, mates! Guess what? Professor Malfoy and Granger are getting married!”
“WHAT?!” Cepheus would yell. Calista would faint.
 
‘Oh good Merlin. I’m going to confront Professor Malfoy once I got a hold of myself. Maybe then I’d feel better,’ I thought. My stomach gave a painful lurch. ‘Or maybe not.’ I was plagued by sleeplessness that night, and with thoughts of wedding bells, Malfoy and Granger snogging, and little blonde children running around everywhere…good Merlin! What was the world coming to?!
 -
The next morning I got up from my sleepless night. I walked into the washroom I had usually shared with my dorm mates, and I groaned. My dark brown hair was all in disarray, bags were under my eyes, and I looked horrible. I washed my hair and cleaned up quick, dressed into clean clothes, and went down into the common room. I was seriously overwhelmed.
“Hey, you all right?” a voice suddenly asked, and I looked up, dreading to see Tom. Fortunately, it was Cepheus, and he sat down on the couch next to me. “You got here before I did!” he said with a grin, and I weakly smiled. “What’s wrong?”
How would I tell him? ‘Oh, I just found out Professor Malfoy is getting married. To Professor Granger. Can you believe it?’ He’d bite my head off in a second. He’d deny it until he confronted Malfoy personally. Then, not only would Cepheus be furious at me, Malfoy and Granger would be too! I opened my mouth and sighed.
“Tom said he fancied me yesterday. I don’t know what to think,” I said. It wasn’t a complete white lie. It just…wasn’t the truth.
“Oh. Really? I kind of knew he fancied you once you beat him at Wizard’s Chess that one time. You could see it in his eyes.”
“Oh Merlin! I must be blind.”
“No, just self-centered.” I glared at him and he smirked to show he was teasing.
“Thanks, Cepheus. That makes me feel loads better.”
“Good. Where the heck is Lexeos?!”
“I don’t know. I should go see if the girls are there too.”
“Right. See you. And don’t hurt yourself over Tom either. If you don’t fancy him that way, just tell him.” I nodded my thanks at him and traveled up the staircase and into Veruca and Antlia’s room. In there, I saw Veruca donning on her necklace and Antlia mussing up her short hair in frustration.
“I just don’t know what to do!” she cried as I walked in. “Oh, hello Emily.”
“Hi. Who are you talking about?”
“Lexeos,” Veruca said in a bored tone as she admired herself in the mirror, and I rolled my eyes. Antlia reddened.
“What’s the problem?” I asked.
“I think I might fancy him. He’s absolutely wonderful, but I personally think he’s a bit of a flirt, and I really don’t like that.”
“Yeah, I know what you mean. I think that you should just keep your crush to yourself. I mean, it’s only our first year here at Hogwarts! It’s way too early to start fancying boys now.” Antlia sighed.
“I agree. I’ll take your advice. Thanks, Emily.” I nodded and smiled.
“Come on now, let’s go down to breakfast.” Veruca laughed.
“Breakfast is nearly half over by now!” she exclaimed, and I rolled my eyes.
“Who cares!”
“Right-o! Let’s go!” I crowed, and we all giggled before trotting down the stairs together. Momentarily, I forgot my dilemma with Malfoy—er—Professor Malfoy and Professor Granger and just had a ball with my mates the whole day.
 -
Classes began once again, and I was overwhelmed with school work, exams, and personal thoughts. Both Professors Malfoy and Granger, or future Mrs. Malfoy, were too busy to be interrupted. I needed to talk with either of them. And I had to tell someone about them before I imploded.
“Hey Juni,” I said with a grin plastered onto my face. He looked a bit startled.
“Hi! Uh, what’s up?” Before he could say anything else, I grabbed him and pulled him behind a heavy tapestry. The mask dropped from my face.
“Juni, I need to tell you something absolutely top-secret! Can I trust you not to tell anyone?” Juniper looked a bit worried but nodded his head.
“Yeah, sure. What is it?” I took a deep breath.
“I’m not sure if you’ll believe me, but…on New Year’s Day, I was out in the corridor at two in the morning or so and saw Professor Malfoy propose to Professor Granger. They’re getting married!”
Juni stared at me, then a smug look approached his features.
“I told you—”
“Yes, Juni,” I interrupted before I could hear his stupid monologue, “you were right. It is possible for two enemies to get together. Now that I told you I feel loads better.”
I took another deep breath.
“Juniper, swear on your life that you won’t tell a soul.”
He nodded, took his wand out, and put it across his heart.
“I swear on my life as a wizard and a muggle that I won’t tell a soul.”
I nodded, content with this, and pushed him out of the tapestry. I leaned against the wall and looked up at the ceiling, taking another deep breath. Suddenly, a loud rustle was heard and someone grabbed the edge of my tapestry and pulled it away, revealing me. I gasped as a tall, broad-shouldered boy with dark brown hair rushed to hide behind it, not noticing me, and peeked behind the tapestry. Someone was obviously following him and he didn’t want to be found.
The bloke sighed before turning my direction. I immediately cringed and backed away once I saw his familiar face.
“Oh Merlin!” he groaned quietly, “Why you?”
Curiously, he peeked out from behind the tapestry again and quickly hid again.
“What are you—”
“Shh!” he interrupted, and I clapped my mouth shut. I still don’t know why I listened to him. I should’ve yelled for the whole world to hear. But I still kept my mouth closed, and I curiously looked out the tapestry as well.
Out there was Lexeos. Lexeos?!
“What?” I muttered to myself in confusion. He looked quite angry and had his wand clenched in his fist. His blue eyes were ablaze, from what I could tell from the distance, and he was also quite close.
“You’re afraid of Lexeos?!” I whispered harshly to the cowering bloke beside me. His head whirled around so fast that he barely had time to put on his infuriated facial features. Unfortunately for him, he wasn’t fast enough, so I saw his downcast hazel eyes for a split second.
“Shut up! I’m not afraid of a bloody second-year! He’s just…threatened me,” he grumbled.
“With what? And why?”
“Nothing!”
“Tell me!”
“NO! Shut up!”
“If you don’t tell me I’m going to tell the whole school that you were cowering behind a tapestry because you were afraid of a second-year.”
That got him quiet and thinking, and I waited, my arms crossed against my stomach and my hip cocked.
“Fine,” he grumbled, then took a deep breath. “I can’t make fun of you, irritate you, talk to you, or even have anything to do with you, says Lexeos, or else.”
“Or else…?” I pushed on, and he glared at me before looking at the scarlet tapestry again.
“Or else he’ll tell my father that I…” He cut himself off there and swallowed thickly. My curiosity was peaked, but I didn’t want to push him any farther. It was silent for a little while before he spoke again, much quieter than before. “…that my marks are near failing, and that I…I fancy a Muggle-born.”
I gaped. “That’s it?!”
That comment resulted in a death glare from him.
“You don’t understand! My father is a very traditional Pure-blood, not that you’ll understand.” His face suddenly loomed very close to mine. “And swear on your life that you won’t ever tell a bloody soul, or I’ll kill you.”
Swallowing, I took my wand out of my robe pocket and put it across my heart the way Juniper had just before.
“I swear on my life as a witch that I won’t tell a soul.” I put my wand back and, seemingly satisfied, he glanced out again. Lexeos was gone, and, when I looked back to see Griffon’s expression, he was gone too.
 -
Till Easter, everything was fine and dandy. Thankfully, my mother did not get burned to a crisp by a dragon, and she did not find some random dragon-training bloke to be my father. Griffon ignored me and I ignored him, and homework was piled to the high ceiling once Easter break started because of exams. I had also earned exactly thirty-seven points and had lost twenty on several different occasions for the Slytherin house.
Calista, Helena, Juni, Antlia, Tom and I had plans to study every week, on different days, of course. Unfortunately, Tom and Helena got distracted very easily, causing me to become very irritated and I even left a few times. But all in all, it was helpful to the all of us, and our study sessions were a success.
On the bright Easter morning, there was a basket at the foot of my four poster. In it were two boxes of chocolate frogs, Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans, liquorice wands, sugar quills, jelly slugs, ice mice, Drobble’s Best Blowing Gum, and special fudge from Honeydukes. It didn’t really pertain to the theme of Easter, but it was all right, and everything tasted splendid.
The others had the same thing, although I was certain they were all different and unique. The baskets certainly were. When us Slytherin girls were all out of bed and filled with candy for breakfast, it was back to studies. Near lunch, I had to take a break. My brain was going to be fried in less than a minute, and I had to get out of that stuffy library.
As I walked, my brain was filled with Professor Malfoy and Granger again, and I contemplated telling Calista and Cepheus. They both seemed to really love one professor and hate the other. Suddenly, I bumped into my objects of thought. What were the odds?
“Hey guys,” I said with a nod, then, when they nodded back, my brain rushed into a stage of rashness. “I need to talk to both of you.” I turned and walked quickly, and both walked after me in confusion as I had planned right then. I walked into the first empty classroom I came across, and closed the door behind them, faced them, then took a deep breath.
“You guys, I have big news. It’s about Malfoy and Granger.”
“What happened?!” cried Calista. Cepheus raised a brow.
“They’re…they are getting married.”
I cringed at the reaction I was waiting for. Interestingly, it didn’t happen exactly the way I had planned.
“WHAT?!” they both shouted in unison, then ran out. I followed them to see where they were going. Each were going to their favourite professor’s office. I decided to follow Cepheus, since he was seeing a professor I was more comfortable with.  
I entered the office two minutes after Cepheus (he was much too fast for me) and I saw him breathing harshly and trying to convey his message at the same time. Professor Malfoy just looked on, an eyebrow raised. After surveying this scene for quite a while, they both finally saw me and Malfoy nodded.
“Miss Gwydion. Is there any way you can convey Mr. Black’s message for me?”
Cepheus looked at me with wild blue eyes, and I swallowed thickly before nodding.
“He’s trying to ask you…if you’re marrying Professor Granger and…and if it’s true…”
I’ll always remember that day as the day I saw Professor Malfoy ever show absolute surprise on that usually calm and controlled face of his.
“What?” he asked, and I repeated myself calmly. Cepheus looked back at Malfoy, who still looked absolutely bewildered, and I swallowed again. Suddenly, his light grey eyes narrowed at Cepheus.
“Where did you hear this?” he asked coldly. Even Cepheus got intimidated by Malfoy’s piercing stare. He swallowed heavily and looked at me. My eyes widened as his eyes met mine, and I sniffed involuntarily.
“I see,” Malfoy said coolly. “Give us a moment, will you Cepheus?” he said, still in that cool tone of his, and Cepheus quickly scurried out while giving me a glance. I ignored him. Once the door shut, Malfoy stood up and came towards me. I sniffed again and looked up at him nervously.
“Where did you hear about that?” he asked. I trembled.
“Well, it was on New Year’s Day, and I was walking through the corridors at two in the morning, and I spotted you and Professor Granger talking and you proposed. I didn’t tell anyone else, I swear!”
The handsome professor just stared at me with that piercing, searching gaze of his, and I sniffed.
“Okay, I did tell my two other best mates, but that’s it! I swear on my life as a witch I didn’t tell anyone else!”
He continued to stare at me with that piercing gaze of his, and I trembled, but I had nothing more to say. Finally, it seemed he was satisfied with my answer and went back to his dark mahogany desk.
“It seems the secret will get out soon enough. In all my years as both a student and teacher here, secrets as big as this are not kept a secret for long. It was bound to get out anyhow.”
Professor Malfoy stared at his pale, folded hands, deep in thought. I gulped.
“Can I go, Professor?” I asked, and he looked at me and nodded.
“Thank you, Miss Gwydion.”
I rushed out of the office and bumped into Cepheus who was waiting for me. I didn’t realise how much I was trembling until the doors of Malfoy’s office closed, then I shivered.
“You okay? Sorry about tattling on you. I really didn’t mean to be a snitch, but the way he was just talking and staring at me like that, it just—you all right? You don’t look so good.”
He was right. I was pale, although I had thankfully stopped my trepidation.
“Yeah, I’ll be fine. Let’s get out of here and meet up with Calista.”
He nodded and we walked together out heading towards Professor Granger’s office. We had barely gone down the enchanted staircase when we saw Calista looking as if she had seen a ghost.
“I know I’m supposed to be brave,” she started, “but I’m really afraid of Granger when she gets really, really happy…and really, REALLY defensive!” She met our eyes slowly. “She’ll talk on and on forever! And I really didn’t want to hear half the things she spewed out!!!”
I couldn’t help but crack a smile at that. Her mortified face was absolutely hilarious.
“Well, yea. She’s a Gryffindor,” Cepheus stated, a smirk on his face. He probably had the same idea as me.
“Oh shut up!” she retorted with a glower and sniffed. “I’m going to go study for my exams and get a fifth-year to erase this from my mind.”
Calista turned away and walked off. Cepheus looked after her, his smirk still in place.
“She gets riled up so easily, it’s bloody entertaining!”
I couldn’t help but agree.
 -
If there was one thing I could not do well, it was take exams. Back in the Muggle world, in my secondary school, I would almost always fail my exams, no matter how much I studied. I was afraid that here at Hogwarts, it would be the same.
Unfortunately, as I was walking to my first exam of the day, sweating hard with clammy hands, I bumped into Tom.
“Um, hi,” he said with a confused look on his face. “What’s wrong?”
“Exams,” I managed to say before sniffing.
“What about them?”
“I’m afraid I’m going to fail them! I’m a horrible test taker!”
“What do you mean? You’ve actually taken them before?”
“Yes, of course! In the Muggle world, that is. And it was awful! My marks were not good at all because of that!”
“Oh, buck up! It’s not that bad! You’re just having anxiety attacks.”
“I have to worry about it!” I hissed. “I need to go. Bye.”
I was sorry that I was dreadfully rude to him, but I was far too preoccupied with the worry that I would forget everything as soon as I looked at the test. He was right about one thing, though. I was having a panic attack, and a big one at that.
Once I arrived at my History of Magic class, Binns was already droning on about some anti-cheating spell on the quill that sat on our desks. I saw that white quill and was about to die. Juni sat at the desk next to me and gave me a grin. I grinned weakly back before staring at my desk some more, running everything I had learned through my head, all the while thinking, ‘I will pass, I will pass, I will pass…’
Finally, Binns passed out the thick semester exams, and I nearly fainted. I stared at the packet of white paper, picked up my quill, and proceeded to fail without trying to. Surprisingly, many of the things I did remember, but most of the others I just blanked out. I suddenly felt dizzy and I knew another panic attack was coming. I was going to fail my exams!!!
 -
When I came to, I was in the Hospital Wing. A medi-witch was bustling around and taking care of another patient. When she saw that I was awake, she came over to me quickly and handed me a potion.
“Oh, I’m glad you’re awake dear. Conked out during your History of Magic exam, you did. Here, take some of this calming draught, it’ll help you.”
I did as told and felt immensely better afterwards. The draught surely lived up to its name.
“You can go back to class, but before every one of your exams, I want you to take one vial of the calming draught. It will last through the whole exam. You should’ve come to me before!”
“Well, I didn’t even know,” I mumbled, and sniffed.
“Very well, you can go back to your dorm. You’ll finish taking your exams, then you’ll take your History of Magic exam at the end of the week.”
I nodded my thanks to her, took the bag, and left quickly.
The rest of my exams flew by. I was confident of them now that I took the calming draught before every one. After every exam, I could smile proudly and now say that I did my best.
When Saturday came, everyone had ended their exams, but I still had my History of Magic exam to take. I took a calming draught, then went to Binns’ classroom. Immediately when he handed it to me, I began, recognizing the questions and knowing all of the answers.
When I finished, Calista was waiting for me outside, and I smiled at her. “I did fantastic!” I exclaimed, and she hugged me.
“I’m so glad for you! Come on, let’s go to tea!”
 -
On Wednesday, two days before we’d leave Hogwarts for the summer, the scores were posted on the wall next to the Great Hall. I wanted to see it, but everyone was crowding around to see it, so I stayed back and waited. It wouldn’t die down till the end of the day.
I was walking down the corridor quietly and slowly, when suddenly, the Slytherin posse I always hung out with came behind me, squealing and yelling.
“EMILY!!! GWYDION!!! Did you see the final marks?!” Helena asked, squealing still.
“Um, no,” I said with a confused expression. Helena laughed.
“Emily! You have the second highest score of all the first years!!!”
“What?! No!”
“Yes!”
I stopped in my tracks, and a bunch of the girls who had been following me bumped into my back. “I got second…?” I said in disbelief, and Helena rolled her eyes.
“Yes, Emily! You should be happy!”
“Who got first?” I whispered, and she rolled her eyes again.
“Emily! You got second out of almost a hundred or so first years! But if you must know, some Hufflepuff got first. I don’t know who.”
“I got second?” I asked in a daze, and I suddenly yelled. “YES!!!”
Helena laughed with me and I felt so immensely happy that all I could do was squeal and laugh and laugh.
While we were walking back to the Slytherin common room, I met Tom on the way, and he looked at me, not knowing what I’d do.
“Hullo, Tom,” I said with a smile, and he smiled warmly back.
“Hi. Great job on getting second!” he said with a grin, and I giggled.
“Thanks! Well, I’m sorry for treating you so rudely before the exams. I was just having a panic attack.”
“No, no. It’s fine! And I’m glad to see you got second out of the whole school of first years!”
“What did you get?”
Tom just smiled. “I’m just happy I got good marks!”
I laughed and waved before being whisked away by my friends again. In the common room, the girls began to plan for the celebration party for that night. No Slytherin had gotten even close to second place out of all the first years ever! And not only that, but the Slytherin Quidditch team had come on top!
When the captain of the Quidditch team, Jordan McRoy, a sixth year, came into the room with a large, golden Quidditch cup after dinner, everyone began cheering for him, and several boys lifted his lean body up on their shoulders. Someone handed him a butterbeer and the celebration began.
I watched, laughing and drank and danced with my friends, when suddenly, a group of Slytherins came up behind me and lifted me up on their shoulders. I squealed loudly and looked down at them. “What are you doing?!” I yelled, and Lexeos and Cepheus grinned broadly at each other. They lifted McRoy again as well and began cheering for the both of us. I could have sworn I saw Griffon looking up at me, but when I looked again, he was gone. I just shrugged it off and laughed with McRoy and clinked my mug to his. We celebrated the rest of the night, sure that we were going to win the house cup.
 -
The next morning, Helena, Lydia, Antlia, Lyra, and Auriga rushed down with me, once we were decent, to the common room where Cepheus was waiting for Lexeos yet again. Surprisingly, I saw Griffon down there as well, and for a split second, I didn’t know what to do. Griffon looked me in the eye, and I swallowed.
“Congratulations on getting second,” he said, and I smiled brightly.
“Thanks,” I replied. Cepheus grinned at me in greeting, and I waved before rushing out with my friends.
We flew down the enchanted staircases and arrived in front of the Great Hall in record time. When I burst open the doors, most of the students were in there already. I smiled as I led my friends to the Slytherin table, and we sat and began chatting.
“We better win the house cup this year! If we don’t, I’d be devastated!” Antlia said with a grin.
“Oh, don’t get your knickers in a knot!” Helena replied. “We’ll get it. And we’ve actually won it fair and square!”
“Actually, the Quidditch games are sometimes far from fair…” Lyra began, and Auriga smacked her arm.
“Shush! Don’t say that!”
“What?” Lyra said, looking around, “I didn’t say anything!”
We all laughed at the twins, when Longbottom’s deep voice suddenly filled the room. The incessant chatter died down as he stepped up to the podium and began speaking again.
“Attention, everyone! Now this year has been a fantastic year! There have been several different occurrences, such as the Slytherins winning the Quidditch championship for the first time in over three years!”
The Slytherins cheered loudly as some Gryffindors booed.
“Now, now. Calm down, everyone! And as most of you know already, Professor Malfoy and Granger are getting married by February next year!”
It was quiet for a long moment, till everyone began cheering and yelling loudly. Professor Granger blushed madly while Professor Malfoy smirked widely. They were coincidentally sitting next to each other, and Malfoy grabbed her hand and held it tightly, causing her to blush even more. I laughed at the spectacle.
When everyone calmed down a bit, Longbottom cleared his throat to speak again.
“This year, the path to the house cup was more competitive than ever! But now, I’d like to present the house cup to…”
We all waited, staring at the enormous golden goblet he held in his hands, inscribed with the names of the houses that had won in the past, and all the professors looked very intent as well.
“SLYTHERIN!!!” Longbottom crowed, and we Slytherins went wild. The tapestries in the Great Hall turned the dark emerald green with silver writing that read, “Slytherin”. A large banner appeared above all the tables that was also green and silver and read, “Slytherin!!!” on it. Professor Malfoy accepted the house cup on behalf of us all after Longbottom magically inscribed our house and year into it. It was the most amazing experience I had ever had in my whole life.
 -
The next day was sadly the time to leave. After we had packed and gotten onto the train, our Slytherin posse found our own compartment and chatted the whole time. Tom, Cepheus, and Lexeos popped in at separate times and talked with us as well before leaving, and we had a grand time reliving all those times we had experienced the past week.
Finally, the train stopped at King’s Cross, and I hugged them all, promising to write over the summer. As I stepped off the train, Tom rolled towards me a luggage trolley. I smiled grandly at him.
“See you next school year, Tom!” I said, and he grinned.
“I’ll write to you over the summer,” he replied.
“And I’ll answer! Goodbye, Tom!”
“Have a nice summer!”
“You too!” I called after him, and turned to find my mother. I bumped into Calista on the way, and I squealed.
Cali! I haven’t seen you for a little while!”
“Oh, I know! Oh Emily, we must see each other during the summer! I’ll go over to your Muggle home if I have to!”
“That would be splendid!”
“Oh Emily, I’m going to miss you!”
“Me too, Calista!”
I hugged her, and I smiled at her. “See you some time during the summer!” I said, and she laughed.
“I’ll write, too!”
“Me too! Goodbye, Calista Servus!”
“Goodbye Emily Gwydion!”
I giggled and turned away again. Suddenly, towards the back of the large crowd, I saw the familiar brown hair and blue eyes of my mother, and I squealed and pushed my trolley quickly towards her.
“Mother!!” I shouted, and she laughed as I barreled over to hug her.
“Oh, Emily! I’m so glad you’re back! I was getting very lonely without you home!”
“Mum! I missed you! Hogwarts was simply splendid! I had such a fine time there!”
“I’m glad, dear! Tell me all about it!” she said with a grin.
So I did.

© 2008 LoVeDoNtHaTe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on October 19, 2008

Author

LoVeDoNtHaTe
LoVeDoNtHaTe

CA



About
My name is Emily, and I'm a teenage writer! One day, I hope to get real good, or get a job in the entertainment business! I plan on studying in the United Kingdom, which is my favourite country, by th.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by LoVeDoNtHaTe


31 Days 31 Days

A Screenplay by LoVeDoNtHaTe