Gold Heart

Gold Heart

A Story by Erin Was Here.

The smell of cream of mushroom soup fills my nostrils as I step into the kitchen of the Presbyterian church. Plastic trays clatter as a worker takes them out of the dishwasher, and I quickly take my place behind the food counter so that I can serve a hot meal to some of the people who don’t have enough money to make a meal themselves.

A long line of people winds around a few tables in the center of a large room, and each person shuffles their feet and looks on at the food lined up, buffet-style, on the counter before them. Some regard it with distaste, and mutter that the chicken is too greasy. Others look on eagerly, closing their eyes as the inhale the savory smell of the meals.

I watch as a frail, elderly woman places her tray on the counter. Her hands tremble, and her face looks up at me, smiling. Her back is hunched over, and her clothes are worn. She looks tired. She politely asks for some of the fried chicken, and as I pick up a piece of the heavily-salted meat, I notice the golden locket she wears around her neck. I smile. It might be one of the only things of beauty she has; it is her pride that she wears around her neck. I like to think that locket reflects what’s inside of her; it makes her worn clothes and tired wrinkles invisible, and only her warm heart stand out.

As she turns away from me and shuffles away to get a scoop of applesauce, she smiles at me. That one smile of gratification is why I do this; people like her are the reasons I keep coming back to serve free food to these people at the church. I love to feel like I am an essential part of the community, and that I can help people like that woman.

© 2008 Erin Was Here.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes! I know and love that feeling when I help people (or give others reviews!!!) The frail old lady . . . I could see her, I could see her golden locket, feel the gratefulness exuding from her smile. Wonderful write, nice and short, like a little gem. Bravissimo for both your work and your kindness! Gracie.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 29, 2008

Author

Erin Was Here.
Erin Was Here.

Your Face, MI, Afghanistan



About
Hey. My name is Erin, I'm 15, and I'm a sophomore in high school. I love to write. That's why I'm here. Some things you may or may not want to know about me: (careful, these are LOONG lists).. more..

Writing
Faces Faces

A Story by Erin Was Here.