Boots

Boots

A Story by Inda

 

 

Boots

 

            Through the rain and the sooth I could still hear the boots pattering about. Hadn’t eaten a good meal in almost a day, but the squad kept marching on; trying not to make a sound; couldn’t afford to give away our position. It was a quiet afternoon; the kind that gets on a man's nerve.

-Shots fired! Joe fell to the ground.

-Run for cover!

            The helicopter hovered over our heads. Bullets met flesh; indifferent as always.  Enemy fire came from the south; somewhere in a building complex. It was an ambush and we weren’t ready. The radio man called for an airstrike; hoped it comes soon, but it wouldn’t be a smooth one.

 

- Aftershock; target was within very contained space and even our guys got hurt by the raid as well. Near the HQ I saw a child’s dissident stare; the shocking find of his dead parents proved to be too much for him.

           

            Now removed from that hell it still lives within me. I can still recall the sand stained black and red; the blood of the sheep’s stomach splattered on the grass. My daughter’s smile somewhere in there too, along with these dreadful memories I keep. Brothers fell in my arms, died in agony; no flag could make up for that. Empty coffins, well wishes and written letters and words of honor are all that remains. All these terms and disguises for the fear and the horror.

            Joe is dead and his son is only seven years old, you think he cares about honor or the flag or anything else? He just wants his father, but War was needed; or so that’s what the old men said. They who know best, who feel pride along with ache, but never once an ounce of shame, they color blind; unable to see the red on their hands.


© 2013 Inda


Author's Note

Inda
Still needs something, don't know what; any reviews will help!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

life will "Ink" you, "Inda will Ink you" tuck under your sallow sheet quarter bouncing
Screen to hide the chill of your pockets party ,your life stops ,theirs never
Stars don't need laser sights and spotters to direct a drone
Alive a pat on the hollow back ,the hollow back suits with bright ties and empty eyes.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Inda

11 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read and review, means a lot.
Think this is a really good expansion on that poem!
Really haunting...liked the penultimate paragraph most^^
Captures the sense of loss and violence of war well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Inda

11 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 30, 2013
Last Updated on January 31, 2013

Author

Inda
Inda

miami, FL



About
I love fiction that's gritty and honest and so my stuff is often times like that. I don't have as much free time as I'd like, but i will get to the request in time and appreciate anyone who takes the .. more..

Writing
Reciprocity Reciprocity

A Story by Inda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..