Aging Sunrise

Aging Sunrise

A Story by Brandon
"

Does our age really determine that much?

"

My alarm rang at exactly five in the morning, interrupting the world of my dreams and bringing me back to the physical earth.  I whacked it with my hand, hitting the snooze button and making a mental note to switch it off completely before it started ringing again.

I threw off the covers and slid on to the floor.  I shut off my alarm, walked to my closet, and pulled on socks, shoes, and a weathered black hoodie.  I knew it was going to be cold outside.

Making sure I had my keys, I headed downstairs and opened the front door.  I found myself in a deserted valley surrounded by tall mountains upon one of which my house stood.  Plant life was plentiful, though due to the ending summer some of the green had turned to a sallow color.  I walked along the path that bordered my house to the crest of the valley ridge.  As I reached the peak, an even grander scene than the one behind me unfolded.  A pink glow on the eastern horizon straight ahead of me illuminated wispy clouds in a light blue sky.  Mountains rippled across the land, melting into rolling hills covered in life.  Assortments of trees, bushes, and wildflowers dotted the landscape, adding reds, yellows, purples, but mostly green to the view.  Here I could see for miles, until faded purple outlines capped in white formed distant snow covered peaks.

I sat down on a particularly comfortable boulder.  Today I would come of age.  In a few minutes, the time I had spent on the earth would reach a number that dictated the granting of certain rights and privileges.  I had effortlessly circled the sun eighteen times.  All I had learned culminated in this moment.

Would I lose my innocence?  Would I suddenly become wiser?  These questions surfaced in my already overwhelmed mind, engulfing my previous thoughts and admiration of the landscape.

As I pondered them, the sun broke over the towering mountains in the distance.  Warm light gradually fell over my face and limbs, warming me and the surrounding air.  I lifted a hand to shield my face from the blinding light.  The silence was tangible.

I watched the sun climb the eastern sky as I worked out a conclusion.  The passing of time alone in such short a time as a few minutes, days, weeks, or months had little to do with my maturity.  What mattered were my decisions.  I could glean what wisdom possible from observation and practice, yet maintain the pure, unaffected thought of an innocent child, but only if I resolved to do so.  Advantages are held by both young and old.  Those newer to this earth have hope and faith; those hardened by countless winters know how to thrive physically and mentally.

I stood, determined to proceed in life with confidence, hoping for a future filled with discovery and happiness.

© 2011 Brandon


Author's Note

Brandon
I finished this really late at night so I didn't edit it all. Tell me about grammar/spelling errors if you think it will help, and about what you think overall. I hope you like the picture.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
Added on September 22, 2011
Last Updated on September 22, 2011

Author

Brandon
Brandon

Provo, UT



About
I like to write, draw, take photos, and make music. I enjoy the technical aspect of all these arts as well. I am skeptical as to what defines poetry and literature. I welcome criticism to my wr.. more..

Writing