The Single Mothers Athem - Golden Promises

The Single Mothers Athem - Golden Promises

A Poem by Nanette M. Buchanan
"

The struggles of a single mother.....

"

Golden Promises

I thank God daily for I am the parent of a loving daughter and son.
I’ve been blessed with good friends, balanced spiritually and able to handle
the responsibility made for two and abandoned by one.
The promise made between you and I made be determined to complete the task
I gave them the love you failed to give which made them strong and steadfast.
I instilled in them the importance of values, morals and respect
And during your rare visits they knew nothing about your woes,
empty promises and continuous neglect
Although your small donations touched the edges of their needs,
They managed to get the best education and they were taught the downfalls of lies and greed.
They grew in a loving environment sharing, caring and experiencing a well-rounded life.
They learned that a house is filled with love, even when the father and mother
are no longer husband and wife.
I thought of these things today because the road has been long.
And now that they are on their way, I know I didn’t lead them wrong.
They walk with their heads held high, no need to be embarrassed or depressed.
They are responsible young adults willing to strive always for the best.
I remember the promises made when we planned for two. I remember the dismay when at times, alone, I didn’t know what to do.
I just want you to understand and recognize, I kept my promise to this very day.
I love being a mother, guardian and provider even though you were able to walk away.

This poem is not to ridicule or gripe, after all that time has passed.
It’s just to touch the memories and promises even down to your last.
You promised to stay in their lives although you lost your place in mine.
You promised you would be their “Dad” until the end of time.
Graduations, awards, birthdays and holidays; I think that covers a few.
A few of those occasions they looked for “Dad” and never found you.
Eventually the questions stopped and the anger built inside.
I could only hold them closer, together we cried.
I cried because of your broken promises. I didn’t think you could step that low.
They cried because they realized that the “Dad” they once knew had let them go.
Today will become another memory. I talked to them about promises as they search for love, unity and mates for their souls.
I want them to believe in their loved ones promises;
for those promises are worth their weight in gold.

Thoughts & Reflections copyright 2000
Author Nanette M. Buchanan

© 2009 Nanette M. Buchanan


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on September 9, 2009

Author

Nanette M. Buchanan
Nanette M. Buchanan

Somerset, NJ



About
Nanette M. Buchanan, author of six published novels and e-books. A native of Newark, New Jersey now residing in Somerset. I am married and currently work full time for the State of New Jersey. I am a.. more..

Writing