I Used to Love Her

I Used to Love Her

A Screenplay by Isa Ruffatti
"

While on a trip to Amsterdam this year, I saw an unusual piece of graffiti. It read, "I Used to Love Her". Wondering who could have written this, inspired me to write this piece, about love long gone.

"

“I USED TO LOVE HER: HEART”

FADE IN:

INT. VERONA BOWLING ALLEY-DAY

Two high school kids play bowling. HELEN throws and scores a Strike. LOU, claps and looks at her in admiration, and she daintily bows. Lou then throws his ball, and misses every pin).

 

HELEN

(SMILES, APPROACHES LOU AND GIVES HIM A MOCK AIR KISS).

The way you let me win every time...

(SHE SHRUGS. LOU THROWS HIS BALL AGAIN, THIS TIME HITTING TWO PINS, HE LOOKS TRIUMPHANT AS HE TURNS TO HELEN).

You really make it too easy for me.

LOU

(APPROACHES HER, SMILING).

Or you really are that good.

(Pause).

 (LOU IS NOW STANDING FACE TO FACE WITH HELEN. HIS EXPRESSION TURNS SERIOUS).

Helen…

HELEN

 (FROWNS ALMOST IMPERCEPTIBLY, BUT APPEARS TO NOT HAVE HEARD LOU. SHE LOOKS PAST HIM, AND GLIMPSES VIV, ENTERING THE BOWLING ALLEY AND CALLS OUT, ALMOST TOO LOUDLY).

Hey Viv!

VIV

Hi Helen.

(Blushes a bit as she turns to Lou).

Hey, Lou.

LOU

(LOU LOOKS AT HELEN, CONFUSED).

Hey Viv.

 

VIV

(SMILES AND PUSHES HER HAIR BACK).

Nice to see you again.

HELEN

(LOOKS UP AT THE TV WHERE THE GAME’S RESULTS ARE).

I saw the way the two of you were looking at each other that day in the coffee shop. Instant ship!

(LOOKS AT LOU AND VIV. POUTS, THEN SMILES KNOWINGLY.)

I had to intervene.

(to VIV)

I’ll tell you what. You take my place in the game, and you two can get to know each other properly.

I'll get going. Need to go see a special someone, have fun!

(SMILES FLIRTATIOUSLY AT BOTH, THEN LEAVES, AND IS OUT OF SIGHT).

VIV

She’s wonderful, isn’t she?

LOU

(STARES AFTER HELEN).

She certainly is.

VIV

(GRABS A BALL).

A great friend too. You guys bowl a lot?

LOU

(Looking for HELEN in the crowd)

Uh huh. Almost every Wednesday. She always beats me, though.

(SMILES IN SPITE OF HIMSELF).

VIV

(LOOKS AT LOU INTENTLY, AND TRIES TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT).

It’s nice of her to have called me. I swear, if she hadn’t set us up…

(Viv STARES AT LOU SHYLY, BUT WITH LONGING).

 

LOU

Helen’s like that. Has the guts when others don’t. She’s special that way.

(GLIMPSES HELEN OVER VIV’S SHOULDER. HELEN IS SITTING AT A TABLE TALKING TO A GUY).

VIV

(SHE APPEARS TO STRUGGLE TO FIND THE RIGHT WORDS).

You’re special too, you know.

(Pause).

(LOU DOES NOT RESPOND, VIV SEES WHO HE’S STARING AT, AND REDDENS SHE THEN TURNS, THROWS HER BALL, AND MISSES EVERY PIN. HER HANDS SHAKE IN EMOTION. WHEN SHE SPEAKS, SHE SPEAKS AS THOUGH TO HERSELF).

It was great talking to you, getting to know you. But you were waiting for Helen to show up all along…

LOU

No problem. I’m really glad-

(SUDDENLY, HELEN KISSES THE GUY SHE’S WITH, PASSIONATELY. LOU LOOKS CRESTFALLEN, HE FINALLY APPEARS TO SEE VIV IN FRONT OF HIM.)

VIV

(THROWS AGAIN, AND MISSES).

…and got me instead.

LOU

(NOT LOOKING AT HELEN ANYMORE, HE LOOKS VIV STRAIGHT IN THE EYES.)

Viv I meant it. That day at the coffee shop. I would really like to get to know you.

VIV

(IS SLIGHTLY SURPRISED).

You did?

(pause)

It’s your turn now.

 

LOU

 (Pause.)

Seeing as we’re both terrible bowlers,

(VIV SMILES SLIGHTLY AT THIS.)

How about we quit playing, and get out of here?

Lou smiles at Viv. She smiles back and they both exit.

FADE OUT.

 

 

 

 


“I USED TO LOVE HER: HEAD”

FADE IN:

INT. COLUMBIA AMPITHEATER-NIGHT

EMMA SYKES stands in an empty bathroom, in front of a sink and mirror. She is all dressed up, even wearing make-up. She is holding a book titled “In the Time of the Raven” by Emma Sykes close, and looks at her reflection in the mirror, deep in thought.

She sets the book down as she glimpses a loose hair. Trying to put it back into place, she pushes her hair back, knocking loose the rest of the pins. Her fancy hair-do ruined, she starts to cover her face and grunts in exasperation.

She starts, realizing she has make-up. When she removes her hands, her eyes are slightly smudged with eyeliner. She then approaches the mirror, looks herself over, and stands back. Emma looks at the floor, attempting to avoid looking at herself in the mirror.

However, her eyes keep flickering back to it. Suddenly, her phone rings and breaks the silence. MRS. SYKES, her mother, is on the line. Her voice is domineering, but tinged with excitement.


MRS.SYKES

They’re introducing the prize for best novel as we speak. Where are you, Emma?

EMMA

 (SIGHS. STARTS PACING TO AND FRO. KEEPS AVOIDING THE MIRROR.)

In the bathroom-



MRS.SYKES

(SOUNDS SLIGHTLY ANNOYED.)

Then come back. 

 

EMMA

 (DISTRESSED, SHE LOCKS EYES WITH HER REFLECTION, THEN TURNS RAPIDLY AWAY).

Sure, I’m on my way.



(TO HERSELF)


This has got to be a dream.

      (PAUSE).

No… A nightmare of the worst kind. A real one!

(PUTS THE PHONE DOWN BUT DOES NOT HANG UP).

 

INT. SEATING OF COLUMBIRA AMPITHEATER-NIGHT

The Amphitheater is packed with people sitting in round dinner tables, all facing the Award host standing behind his podium. Mrs. Sykes is seated among them. To her right, there’s an empty seat.

MRS.SYKES

(HAS A BOOK ON HER LAP EMMA SYKES’S, “In the Time of the Ravens”. SHE STARES ANXIOUSLY AT THE ENTRANCE OF THE AMPITHEATER)

Hurry up, dear. They’re almost finished with the nominees.

(HAS NO RESPONSE.)

(SOUNDS WORRIED, AND THE DOMINEERING TONE PARTLY DISAPPEARS FROM HER VOICE.)

Oh, dear. I’m sure you must be feeling anxious. I know I am. It’s only natural…

 

INT. COLUMBIA AMPITHEATER-NIGHT

CORDELIA ELTON charges into the bathroom, her high heels clicking angrily. She stands in front of the sink beside Emma, who stares at her, aghast.

CORDELIA

(LOOKS DOWN AT HER WHITE DRESS IN DESPAIR, WHICH HAS A RED WINE STAIN ON IT).

Unbelievable! Am I not the stupidest human being on this godforsaken planet?

 (To Emma).

Do you have any moist towelettes by any chance?

 


Emma stares at the dress’s stain blankly, as if uncomprehending of what is being asked of her.

CORDELIA ELTON

 (SHRUGS).

Fat lot of good it’d do anyways. Ruined! All because I spilt a little wine on it.

(SCOWLS AT HER REFLECTION).

God, I am such an idiot!

 (EXITS THE BATHROOM).

Emma stares after Cordelia in awe as she leaves. Emma glances at her reflection. Tears start streaming down her face as she regards the ruined hair do and make-up.

BOOK AWARD PRESENTOR (O.S)

And finally, this year’s Berger Best Novel Award goes to…

EMMA

SHE MEETS HER REFLECTION’S GAZE. HALF TURNS WITH A SUDDEN PASSION, WIPING HER TEARS AWAY.)

But I want this. I really do…

(FORCEFULLY OPENS THE DOOR, AND RUNS INTO THE HALLWAY, CLUTCHING HER BOOK TIGHTLY TO HER BODY).

EMMA now stands out in the hallway, halfway between the entrance and an emergency exit door.

BOOK AWARD PRESENTOR (O.S)

… Emma Sykes!

EMMA

      (TREMBLES.)

Do I?

FADE OUT.



 

“I USED TO LOVE HER: HAND”

FADE IN:

INT. MINERVA’S GRANDPARENTS’ HOUSE-NIGHT

A large group of children, MINERVA’S COUSINS, play near a Christmas tree. One of them touches another’s shoulder and hollers “Tag, you’re it!”. The mass of children then runs towards the garden. Chairs are put together in a group. GRANDMOTHER, Minerva’s THREE AUNTS, their husbands, and Minerva’s MOTHER AND FATHER sit there, talking. GRANDFATHER stands farther off, and appears to be gazing at the sky.

GRANDMOTHER

(TO MINERVA).

Minerva, on behalf of all of us, we are so glad to have you back home. Your mother says you are now in your last year of studying?

(GLANCES AT HER GRANDDAUGHTER’S PIERCINGS, HAIR, AND CLOTHES IN SUBTLE DISAPPROVAL).

MINERVA

Si, I’ll be a Political Science BA this June…

MOTHER

            (INTERRUPTS, ADDRESSES EVERYONE).

But she’s thinking of staying in Spain to live.

AUNT 1

            (SMILES INDULGENTLY AND SAYS TO MOTHER).

Well, let her stay. It’s so much better over there…

UNCLE 1

(CHIRPS IN).

Especially after our new president took office.

 

Minerva edges forward in her seat, showing clear interest.

 

GRANDMOTHER

(SWATS AN IMAGINARY FLY IN EXTREME ANNOYANCE).

Shush! Let’s not go into politics.

 

UNCLE 1

(TO GRANDMOTHER).

What else can we talk about, the weather? It’s always sunny in El Salvador.

AUNT 2

Doesn’t feel very sunny.

(Pause).

(CONTINUES IN A CONSPIRATIONAL WHISPER)

Did you hear what happened yesterday?

FATHER

(LOUDLY, TO UNCLE 1).

I honestly don’t know what the fuss is… He’s an idiot, we knew that already.

UNCLE 1

(EMPHASIZING EVERY WORD AND SHIFTING FORWARD IN HIS CHAIR).

He was voted into the presidency.

(Pause).

Evidently we didn’t.

AUNT 2

(CLEARS HER THROAT, AND GLANCES MOMENTARILY AT MINERVA.)

Anyways, he was talking about some plan or other, about saving energy. So he was talking about water…

(Pause.)

…in kilowatts.

GRANDMOTHER

(SHAKES HER HEAD, SADLY.)

Ay Dios mío.

UNCLE 2

(BRIGHTENS UP, GLANCES AROUND TO EVERYONE).

You know what we need?

UNCLE 1

(JESTING).

Education?


UNCLE 2

(IGNORES UNCLE 2).

A strong leader, someone to guide us… Fix the motherland…

 

AUNT 1

But who? There’s no one…

GRANDMOTHER

(IN ASSURANCE, HOPING TO END THE CONVERSATION).

Only Jesus.

AUNT 2

(MAKES THE SIGN OF THE CROSS).

Amen.

All except Minerva and Uncle 1 bow their heads in reverence.

(Pause).

Uncle 1 is about to say something, but Aunt 1 gives him a stare and silences him.

GRANDMOTHER

(Stands up and looks at her clock)

It’s almost New Year’s! Quick, everyone to the lawn!

 

INT. MINERVA’S GRANDPARENTS’ HOUSE-NIGHT

Grandmother walks towards the garden, calling GRANDFATHER while on her way. He appears to not have heard. The AUNTS call their children. Everyone but MINERVA, and GRANDFATHER huddles further into the lawn. The adults stand ready, holding their glasses of champagne.

CHILDREN

(UNCLE 2 readies the fireworks. The children crowd round him and start the count down.)

10, 9, 8…

 

Minerva approaches GRANDFATHER. He greets her with a solemn nod.


MINERVA

(pause).

What are you looking at, Grandfather?

 

CHILDREN

4, 3, 2…

 

GRANDFATHER

Oh nothing.

(Pause).

The only thing I understand now.

 

CHILDREN

1!

The fireworks go off.

FADE OUT.

 

THE END

                   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2017 Isa Ruffatti


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
Added on February 10, 2017
Last Updated on February 10, 2017

Author

Isa Ruffatti
Isa Ruffatti

, El Salvador



Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by Isa Ruffatti


Anansi, S1 E1 Anansi, S1 E1

A Screenplay by Isa Ruffatti


Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Isa Ruffatti