Glorified Kip

Glorified Kip

A Story by Scott Baker

The doctor’s uniquely bicolored eyes had pierced hastily at the nearby nurse; he had found himself in such a daze that he had dropped the very baby that he had just delivered. The nurse gasped at the scene that had occurred before her complacent eyes; she hurriedly bent down to retrieve the fresh newborn from his second horrific worldly experience. Alas, however, the baby had died. His soft sounding cries were no more; he had left the world as fast as he had entered it. “What shocked you so heavily, sir?” The nurse asked, finally coming to her senses. “I witnessed my own reincarnation. Only I could ever be brought about with such a peculiar birthmark.” The frantically slim doctor had replied. The mother had grown worried with her son’s abrupt silence. “Is he alright?” She repeated over and over, desperately longing for a positive response. “Yes, Ms. Mutter, he’ll be just fine.” The doctor said; he gave a quick nod to the nurse, indicating the need to rapidly depose of the body. The mother straightened her frail body, relaxing her back on the alarmingly dingy pillows that laid behind her. She had attempted to make eye contact with her son; she desperately longed to hold his smooth hand back to his loving pale grey room that had been painted with the sweat of her and her husband. I’m sure he’s at the house now, waiting for Kip’s arrival, she thought to herself. “When can I see my child?” She politely asked the doctor, who held the perception of a relaxed individual. “In good time, Mutter, you will see him soon. Now lie back and I will present you with your child later tonight.” Having said this, the charming doctor walked steadily out of the room, whispering amongst himself. He whispered in an odd tone. Ms. Mutter could not make out his words. The patient had laid back her head; she displayed her biggest smile yet, while staring up at the dimly lit ceiling. The light on the ceiling was going out, she was sure of that. It had been a minor detail that had bothered her before, but at this moment before her nap, she had not cared about anything besides baby Kip.
Ms. Mutter had screamed. She was now home and she tried so hopelessly to find her husband; she had an incredible bundle of joy to present to him. She had stared at her son’s newly developed face for an unnervingly extended time. The boy was silent in her arms; she took this as an exceptional sign of motherly affection. Ms. Mutter’s voice had echoed all throughout her incredibly lifeless and pale home. She had screamed so loudly that the lights that hanged above her had shook in dismay. Ms. Mutter could not prevent herself from smiling that pearly smile. Her teeth and jawline were both remarkably unique and incredible, which was very well a result of her recent dental work. At times, Ms. Mutter’s husband had regretted agreeing to the expensive purchase; he just knew that his wife’s new mouth had become more loud and obnoxious. Finally, after her long search throughout the large home, Ms. Mutter had discovered her husband in the backyard, passed out on the outdoor bench with laid parallel to the family’s bed of decayed roses. After awakening Mr. Mutter from his troubles, Ms. Mutter had gleefully presented her husband with their most recent offspring. Her husband, whose name was Riley, was a quiet older fellow who had gone partially bald, with only a few long stringy grey hairs. He had only spoken loudly once or twice that Ms. Mutter could remember. Perhaps this explains the shock that followed her after he had piercingly expressed his disbelief of their new child. “Do you not love him?” Ms. Mutter had asked her husband. Both of the parents had developed tears, which had flowed down amongst their faces as if, oddly enough, to indicate sadness. “His eyes look strange and his ears do, too. What is wrong with this child?” He had asked his wife. “Don’t you mean what is wrong with your child? Besides, he’s as normal as can be, just look at his perfectly formed grin!” Ms. Mutter had responded. “Does he have any defects?” Riley had asked, crossing his fingers in the hopes that Kip had not turned out with similarities to Marsha, Calvin, and Simon. “Of course not, he’s perfect, even his skin is as pure as the snow, with no visible natural scars!” Ms. Mutter exclaimed. Riley had extended out his long, frail, and shivering arms in the hopes to nurture the child. He was a shivery old man, partially due to his geographical heritage, but mostly due to his incurable illness. The new and endless winters in the village had transformed the entire region into an eerily black, grey and white world with very few alternative colors in sight. Kip had began to cry in the hands of his father, finally giving his father some indication of life. Riley smiled for the first time in a long time. With the sound of Kip’s cries, he was now fully convinced that he had contributed in conceiving a perfectly brilliant descendant. Perhaps Kip would become a new inspirational figure that the region had so desperately longed for. Ms. Mutter had indicated to Riley the need to go inside. The region appeared particularly gloomy that evening; she had sensed an impending catastrophic storm. Before following Riley and her son into their home, Ms. Mutter had glanced at her once blossomed garden. She had constantly longed for her plants’ revival. She glanced at the colorful tower across the white hills which gave considerable hope to many. She made a silent prayer in the hopes of seeing unique external beauty once more. Subconsciously, Ms. Mutter had been aware that the child in which she had just given birth was not as any more aesthetically pleasing as the many other children in the region. In fact, Kip held an eerily similar appearance to all of the other children. This fact further highlighted the levels of equality within this dystopia.

© 2016 Scott Baker


Author's Note

Scott Baker
The beginning of this story may be a little graphic for some readers. I did try to revise this story to make it more reader friendly. I felt that the beginning was essential, however, and so I did not choose to exclude it. Sorry for any concerns.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very interesting story. This story sparks my curiosity and makes me wonder if the baby Kip is normal (or if he is the doctor himself since he did say he "witnessed [his] own reincarnation"). I especially commend you for the suspense and mystery of the story. My only suggestion to you would be to keep up the good work. Good luck and I look forward to reading more works from you.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 22, 2016
Last Updated on June 23, 2016
Tags: Dystopia, kip, strange, reincarnation, unique, bleak, cold, world

Author

Scott Baker
Scott Baker

Lake Charles, LA



About
Hi more..

Writing