Let Us Talk About Perfection

Let Us Talk About Perfection

A Story by Christy Sargent
"

Should we all have to be "perfect"? Of course not. Yet there are those of us, as grown adults, who do believe that we have to be at least a little bit perfect. I worry for them.

"

 

Let Us Talk About Perfection

 

 

     Yesterday we talked...you and I. You said you thought none of us needed to be perfect people.  I said that I thought it would be okay to try and be perfect with just one little thing or two such as not chewing gum in public or only eating dark chocolate.  No milk chocolate.  Not even one little Hershey Kiss all wrapped up and twisted tight in shiny silver foil with the little white tag sticking out the top.  Only dark. You seemed to think about what I said but your tone, when you said, "Uh...oh...okay," didn't sound convincing to me.  I know that you were not allowed to chew gum at all when you were growing up.  Your father, a doctor, forbid you to drink anything until your meals were finished and you had swallowed your last bite.  You were spanked often to help you learn how to be perfect but perhaps sometimes a little too hard or a little too long.  It was the same for me growing up.  My father was not a doctor.  He was a military officer.  Not much difference in their views on raising children to be perfect people.  I got my mouth washed out with soap for speaking what I considered to be the truth.  I felt the sting of my father's yardstick more than I want to remember, pee running down the insides of my thighs and wetting the cuffs of my white anklets.  The look in my father's eyes was enough.  He really didn't need the yardstick to convince me that I had to try harder at behaving perfectly.  My mother did her best to instill perfection in me as well.  If my bed was not made correctly, that is without lumps and with everything tucked in, then it was ripped apart in order for me to start over.  When my mother checked my dresser drawers they had to be neat and tidy otherwise she dumped them on the floor in my bedroom while I was still at school.  No need for the yardstick.  It took me all evening to put my clothes back into my drawers perfectly neatly.  We were raised to be careful and good and to do our very best to be perfect.  You and I were brought up that way.  If you think it is just fine, now, for people to not worry about trying to be perfect...well, that's okay.  As for me...I think I will at least try to be perfect at one little thing or two.

© 2010 Christy Sargent


Author's Note

Christy Sargent
Not finely edited.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

**sigh** I am getting better at not trying to be perfect...it's been a long journey and struggle continues each day.....We're fine, sis, just the way we are.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It was hard to have two perfectionist parents, huh? I'm still trying to get past that....again, your work is so good, Chris. I'm proud.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great

Posted 13 Years Ago


An interesting conversation between you and....? Very well written. I think it's wrong of a parent or other authority figure to insist on perfection from others in the way that you described. That can only do harm, I believe, but to set high standards for one's self and to strive for perfection in certain areas is something altogether different. Think of doctors---wouldn't you prefer one who's a perfectionist performing your heart surgery?

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2010
Last Updated on August 15, 2010

Author

Christy Sargent
Christy Sargent

Flagstaff, AZ



About
I live near the red rocks of Sedona, AZ in the Verde (green) Valley. For me, writing has become addictive. I write about my life and my encounters. I write poetry and stories dealing with good and ba.. more..

Writing