looking back...

looking back...

A Story by jakester
"

well this is pretty much my first attempt the story is about a guy who realizes that the world we live in isnt all that great or something like that, i hope at least some of you enjoy it :)

"

Looking back now...I guess I shouldn’t have laughed at preppers...

For the past couple of weeks they’d been broadcasting on the news about horrific acts of violence. Just a week earlier a woman murdered her children before she would be stopped by the husband.

They’d found the kids in the bathroom 2 boys and girl, young, early teens, their faces barely recognizable, bashed in. Apparently shed used a hammer...All of them had been killed with repeated blows to the head. Read on the net, that that wasn’t the whole story, apparently someone from the opposite building saw the wife attacking her husband, the husband was laying in bed when she attacked...he had no choice but to fight back. She died during the struggle accidentally hitting her head on the corner of the bed. When they interviewed the neighbours they all said they were an ordinary, quiet family, really nice. Sorted their trash, recycled. But on the night of the incident they did heard the kids screaming which was unusual but they thought they were just playing. In the official statement of the responding officers the wife had multiple scratch marks on her arms and face, the husband committed suicide upon discovering the children.

During the following week things like that kept showing up on the news and on the net. An 18-yo murders his parents, feeds them to the family dog. Neighbours saw him playing fetch with the dog using his mother's thighbone as a stick. A mother of 2 throws her 2-yo daughter out of the 6th storey window after killing her 12-yo son. Neighbours said there had been an audible argument about the colour they should use for the walls, the kid kept screaming he wanted red, afterwards followed an eerie silence. The responding officers found the mother painting the walls using her son's blood, grinning.

On the evening they announced there was a flu outbreak, and that everyone should remain in their homes, "for our own safety" I knew there was something wrong...after everything that’s been happening I wasn’t buying it. I wasn’t running the risk of being left without the essential with lunatics on the loose. So I went to the local supermarket to stock up on supplies, you know, toilet paper, water, food, the basics. Thing was, I wasn’t the only one.  People weren’t as sceptical as I thought they’d be. The store was full. Unusually so. Imagine a Black Friday sale, except everyone thought they’d die if they didn’t get what they need...as soon as I walked in I noticed there wasn’t any music *THUD* all I could hear was a dull thumping sound *THUD* like that of a heart *THUD* when you press your ear to someone's chest. A crowd of 10 surrounded *THUD* something and was staring in anticipation, grinning. Those grins...'S**t...', I thought. Everyone else was going past them without batting an eyelid. My curiosity got the better of me. So I slowly approached. The sound became *THUD* louder and louder. As I got nearer I noticed they were standing in a black puddle a *THUD* sudden and unmistakable smell of metal pierced through me...fresh blood...*THUD*. I shoved a man in his 40ies aside *THUD* he looked at me with a huge grin. What I saw left me speechless *THUD*, an elderly woman was sitting on top of a young girl, she couldn’t have been more than 10 *THUD* repeatedly smashing her head on the floor. Immediately I tried to call an ambulance only to discover the network is unavailable. 2 people had their phones out, one took a selfie, the other I presume was filming...seconds later the elderly woman stood up fixed her hair and dress, and with fresh blood still wet on her hands she went about her business, putting groceries in her basket it was like nothing had happened. The crowd dispersed as well, like the woman, they were not fazed of what had just happened right before their eyes...with smiles on their faces they carried on about their shopping. In the corner sat a security guard she seemed catatonic. I asked her if she saw what had happened. All she did was glance at a security camera. I took her by the hand and we went to the security office to see what had happened. It was mind-boggling... the reason the woman attacked and killed the girl was an apple...a damned apple...all in all the whole thing must've taken about 30 seconds. From what I saw the girl took an apple the woman wanted. So she grabbed her pony-tail forced her to the ground and began hitting her head on the floor. My guess is the girl was dead by the third hit...Looking at the tape I saw myself standing over the girl, I stood there like a stone, to me it felt like mere seconds before I went over to the security guard, in reality I stood looking down at her for 2 minutes, a woman even tried to talk to me...I remembered nothing of that...people stepping over the child a couple of them even stepped ON her little body they were stepping in the blood without a care with those mindless grins...it was like they didn’t see her...like she wasn’t there, like I wasn’t there...it was absolute apathy, in its purest form… they stopped caring...looking at the tape I became infuriated, with myself, with these soulless corpses walking around smiling like everything was fine...and yet all I could do was...cry…I sat the security guard down and gave her some water, she seemed to calm down only to burst out in tears seconds later. I tried to console her to no avail. So I did the only thing I could I hugged her as tight as I could and she hugged me back. We must've stood there for at least a minute. She didn’t seem to want to let go, truthfully neither did I. I whispered, 'Its going to be fine, listen to me, there was nothing, NOTHING we could’ve done...’ She tried to tell me something, from the sobbing all I could understand was 'Thank'.

© 2016 jakester


Author's Note

jakester
idk...blank...oh hey if you like it or at least think it wasnt a complete waste of my time, id apreciate it if youd leave a comment even if it is one for me to not bother :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have such nit picky advice to give...Increase font size and maybe spacing a bit. Break up that last giant paragraph. This is extremely dense and tiny to read on my computer screen! Maybe you are not getting comments because people don't want to read it!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
1 Review
Added on February 2, 2016
Last Updated on February 2, 2016
Tags: pandemic, zombie, horror

Author

jakester
jakester

About
just some guy...23...lets see what else...thats about it :D more..