Peace

Peace

A Story by James Oren
"

Simple attempt to explain a path to peace.

"
The clear water reflected sunlight in constantly moving, interconnecting filaments of gold just below where I sat upon the shore. With my chin resting upon my knees and my arms wrapped comfortably around my shins, I observed. Now I must convey to you that I have often done this before and allowed the thoughts of my mind to stray, yet not today. Today, I sat welcoming no thoughts, only senses.  To say 'no thoughts', though, might incorrectly lead you into wrong presumptions of thinking I was unaware; Far from it! for my mind took in each an every sense to its fullest.  The blank stare upon my face, would also have been misleading to you as well, if you were there to perceive it, of course! Well, to continue, I sat there thoughtless allowing my senses to revel in their glory; my connections to an outside world! Sometimes it seems, I do authorize an inward form of perceptions, wherein I only sense what I desire to sense. Not today though; I allowed it all!

From my soft, sanded place on this shore I sat staring endlessly into the water. I could hear around me the songs of birds, the occasional chatter of a squirrel, the hush of the blowing wind, and most of all the peaceful music of the running water. If I had been thinking, I might have thought of giving into the seduction and allowing my bare skin to feel the water, but I hadn't been thinking, only perceiving. To enjoy this serenity, I mustn't think!

From my warm spot in the sun I sat motionless taking it all in. I could feel the gentle brush of the wind caressing me, the tickling tingle of the sand between my toes as they subconsciously worked their way down, and most of all I could feel a sense of calm. An escape from stress and an escape from me.

I was one with the world around me but then a thought flickered its grotesque face and I, well, I went back into myself.

© 2010 James Oren


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is beautiful. The words flow poignantly, almost casually, in a way that makes me feel as if I am sharing this peace with the narrator. The last line seems to shake the very feeling of serenity, as I'm sure it was intended. Fantastic.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
1 Review
Added on May 16, 2010
Last Updated on June 10, 2010