It's Captain Claw!

It's Captain Claw!

A Story by Jane E. Ries
"

Captain Puffer meets the infamous Captain Claw and the adventure begins.

"

Suddenly she saw him! The fiercest Pirate in the Ocean. Just to look at him made her shiver in her boots. Captain Puffer turned to her crew and yelled, “Hey, Ho! It’s Captain Claw! All hands on deck! Prepare for battle!” 

  

Sure enough, Captain Claw fired the first cannon, a clear warning of impending doom. Luckily, it fell short and into the water. With all eyes on Captain Puffer's precious cargo, Captain Claw maneuvered his ship forward.

 

Both ships ripped through the open sea, thrusting over wave after wave. The sun beat down tiring all hands on deck as they relentlessly worked the ropes, wood pulleys, and masts. Both ships were well matched as they stayed the same distance away from each other. Captain Claw shot some of his cannons, but to no avail. 

  

Before long, the wind stopped as if there was a red light in the middle of the ocean. Both ships put down their sails and raced forward until their momentum ran out. Once again Captain Claw shot his cannons. Captain Puffer shot back, but both ships were still too far apart from each other. It was a standoff.  

  

The stand-off lasted for hours. This gave Captain Puffer the time she needed to think and think she did. She came-up with an idea. A very sinister idea that she was very proud of. “Yes”, she thought. “Maybe Captain Claw has a weakness after all! 

  

"Quartermaster! Prepare a boat!” she ordered. Escorted by her Starfish Quartermaster and two sardines, Captain Puffer rowed the boat herself. Captain Claw snapped his claw in pleasure as they boarded his ship. 

  

“I see you are prepared to surrender,” Captain Claw sneered. 

  

Captain Puffer kept her cool and announced, “I did not come here to surrender. In fact, I believe it is you who should surrender!” 

  

Captain Claw’s crew snickered and laughed nervously as he replied, “Obviously you must be mad. I admire that you have the audacity to face me and speak such words.” Captain Claw turned to his quartermaster and said, “Prepare a feast. I want to enjoy the company of such a brave Captain in my quarters.” 

  

“Stop right there Captain Claw!” Captain Puffer demanded. This is no time for formalities. I challenge you to a duel.” Once again the crew snickered and laughed. 

  

Captain Claw raised his claw silencing everyone. “A duel? How dare you?” 

  

“Whoever loses, surrenders their ship,” Captain Puffer demanded. 

  

Captain claw put his claw behind his back and paced up and down the deck. His crew watched nervously. “A duel?” He replied. “What duel do you speak of?” 

  

Captain Puffer raised her tiny fin in the air and yelled, “Arm wrestling!” Everyone gasped at the words. Who in their right mind would challenge Captain Claw to arm wrestle? Especially, this dried-up looking puffer fish?  

  

Captain Claw stopped in his tracks and swallowed hard. He looked around his crew with all eyes on him. Clearing his throat he said, “Arm wrestling? How about a rowdy game of cards?” 

  

Everyone looked at Captain Claw in confusion. Was he trying to avoid the challenge? 

  

“No.” Captain Puffer said simply. 

  

“Checkers?” 

  

“No.” 

  

“Push-ups?” 

  

“No.” 

  

Captain Claw looked around, everyone was staring at him. There was a long pause until he finally said in a squeaky voice, “OK.” He cleared his throat and declared, “I accept your challenge!” 

 

An octopus rolled-out a barrel and put it between the two captains. Captain Puffer stretched and Captain Claw walked in circles. They turned to each other and locked fin and claw. The octopus blew a whistle and the arm wrestling began.  

 

Captain Claw held his breath and began to push Captain Puffer's fin downward. As he pushed, Captain Puffer begin to inflate. She gained strength and began to push back. Captain Claw pushed back and Captain Puffer inflated some more. This kept going on and on until Captain Puffer inflated so much, her eyes bulged-out. 

 

The crew backed-up expecting an explosion at any moment. Suddenly, there was a large POP! When the air cleared, there stood Captain Claw. His Claw had popped right off. Captain Puffer stood there deflated, holding his claw in her fin. 

  

Captain Claw looked at Captain Puffer and then his crew. Captain Claw was not defeated however, “I’ll be back!” he yelled. I’ll be back!” He scrambled across the deck and jumped into the ocean and disappeared.

 

Captain Puffer became the captain of two ships and sailed to ports near and far. The story about Captain Claw became legend. Some say that his claw will grow back and he'll be sure to return. They had his word afterall.

© 2014 Jane E. Ries


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on July 23, 2014
Last Updated on September 18, 2014
Tags: pirates, crab story, puffer fish story

Author

Jane E. Ries
Jane E. Ries

Columbus, OH



About
These stories and poems represent a book in the making. The title of which is still undecided. My goal has been to present animals in ways that are compassionate and often funny. I hope you enjoy and .. more..

Writing