Dark Enchantment

Dark Enchantment

A Story by Joey K
"

A man on a bus finds himself in many places in very little time.

"

I stand on the crowded bus, my hand gripping tightly around the cold poll, and staring at my feet. The bus stops and goes. I look at the silent people and look out the foggy window into the dark road, only lit by the street lamps, and the reflection of the snow. I hear someone sneeze, making me jolt a little at the sudden change in noise. I look up and see someone. She was just like the others, but my eyes are drawn, almost magically toward her. She had a light coat, dark jeans, a hat, and a backpack. I try to pull my eyes away, but I can't I started to panic, but then she turned to me. I couldn't hear anything other than a heartbeat. Either hers' or mine. I stop my panic and feel myself start to become groggy. She takes off her hat  revealing her brown wavy hair. Her boots slide across the wet floor and she comes closer to me and brings her mouth to my ear. I keep staring straight ahead and listen to what she's about to say.

"Remember," she whispers. Suddenly I feel like I'm being sucked into a dream. I see darkness washing through me, engulfing me. I hear nothing, but the creatures of the night now. I'm laying on something and I stand up and feel it.

"Grass?" I silently ask myself. I hear leaves crumble to my right and see the girl walking through the forest. She goes behind a tree and I don't see her anymore. I walk to the tree hoping to find out what's going on, but she's not there. There's only the tree and it's rough bark. I sit up and turn around only to face the girl I hoped to find. I fall to the ground startled and afraid.

"What's going on!" I yell. She helps me up and starts to cry.

"Remember?" she whispers again, but in a questioning tone now. I find myself on the bus again facing the girl. She has her arm on my shoulder, staring into my eyes. She brings her head closer to my head and puts an arm around my waste. I can't help but bring my hand up to her face. She brings her head so close now our lips start to touch and I can hear her soft steady breathing. She kisses me and removes her hand from my shoulder and around my waste. The bus stops and she walks down the aisle, stepping down the stairs. I look out the window, hoping to find her, but instead I find myself in a forest. I look around the bus and find everyone has disappeared, the bus is broken with, vines and plants growing on the metal bus. Blood is stained on into the bus and twigs scatter across the ground. I force open the door and step outside finding the girl staring out into the dark, misty forest. I see cuts and rips in her clothing as her strength starts to wean. She falls to the ground with her face in the dirt. I turn her on her back and find large open wounds in her chest. She coughs and struggles to breathe. Blood pours and sprays from her mouth as her throat gurgles, trying to gasp for air. Her legs kick at the ground in panic and she tries to speak, but she can't. I try to stop the bleeding in time but I'm too late. Her squirming and gasping start to slow and she finally stops, drawing her final breath. Now I remember. The bus crashed into the tree in the forest. Only killing me and her when the tree impaled her and my throat was stabbed on the glass of the windshield. She was going to be my wife. I feel my throat and feel the open gash. Blood starts to pour from my neck and I choke. I fall by her side and die alone.

© 2015 Joey K


Author's Note

Joey K
This is one of the strangest and goriest things I've ever written.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Joey, I find this very impressive. You interweave two genres, much different from each other, yet with good organization. This was both horrifying, yet romantic; that is a feat not easily accomplished. Great work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Joey K

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my story
It was very interesting. I like it. More imagery would be good but overall great work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Joey K

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been working on imagery lately and I'm glad you liked it!
I like the story. Its really interesting and have to say that I was intrigued about what was going on. I think it would be great if you added some more sensory details into the piece. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Joey K

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you like the story and thanks for the idea to add more sensory detail. I'll be sure to work.. read more
A bit of a downer, but story flows smoothly. Kind of trippy.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joey K

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. I love it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

459 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 11, 2015
Last Updated on October 11, 2015
Tags: strange, scary, dark, enchantment, short story, romance, horror

Author

Joey K
Joey K

MN



About
My name is Joey Knisely, I've been writing for quite a few years now, looking forward to becoming a freelance writer/journalist. At the moment, I'm working on a short-novel [email protected].. more..

Writing
Remember Remember

A Poem by Joey K