Counting Clocks

Counting Clocks

A Poem by Jennifer Lenhardt

it’s the killing time
that kills it
the minutes
wasted
the hours
untasted
twenty four
from yesterday’s
already gone
and eaten
on a tasteless
palette
twenty four more
of today’s to go
sixty minutes
in every hour
and sixty seconds
in every minute
unable to turn it back
even for a second
to rotate a sundial back
even just a notch
if only -
just to taste it
just to savor it
to make it stop
but it’s the killing time
that kills it
the minutes
wasted
when one simply
lets it go
counting
clocks

© 2011 Jennifer Lenhardt


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked the way you kept the content moving...

Posted 5 Years Ago


Somewhat of a carnivorous flare to it. lol. The first two lines are very interesting-- a very good life observation! I like the idea of extinguishing life for the mere porpouse of moving on, and being unaware of the possibilities. We kill time without appreciating the savory-ness of it...
I may challenge your ending though...and I am fully willing to admit that I may be missing something or just plain dumb, but wouldn't the line "lets it go" mean that there is a relinquishing of time focus. If so, then that would be counter to the last line, which indicates a focus on counting/killing. Unless you mean that there is a point when a person "gives in" and begins to focus on time specifically (like they give into the will to time kill?).
Anyway, despite my blabbering I enjoyed the piece...another job well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great use of short lines to convey the ticking tock... and such a clever thought - if only we could go backwards...

Posted 13 Years Ago


time displayed in your always engaging poetic perspective ..

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
nice!! time is a bitter foe - fickle and rigid in its ways!! very well written as always I like the plays on words in the first few lines too! nice!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful portrayal. Well worth the read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I can relate to the idea you express so well in this piece.

the minutes
wasted
the hours
untasted

Posted 13 Years Ago


A really great poem, Jennifer. You've captured the regret and feeling of loss at not living life to the fullest perfectly. "...eaten on a tasteless palette"...fantastic! Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


You write with such a rhythmical fervor..

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is why I chose not to wear a watch, time can be obsessive and people are like slaves to it. It drives people insane I think. Even though I don't wear a watch I am never late, always on time and I think time respects me more. Great poem loved it.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2011
Last Updated on February 13, 2011

Author

Jennifer Lenhardt
Jennifer Lenhardt

About
For now, all current work can also be found at jenniferlenhardt.com and - thanks for stopping by! more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..