A Somber Mood, The Loss of a Friend

A Somber Mood, The Loss of a Friend

A Poem by Joshua McNay
"

Today my dog Charlie passed away from liver complications, I haven't felt great today as you can imagine so I wanted to write something to keep a record of my pup. See how it goes...

"
I don't really know where to start,
To try to explain the sadness in my heart.
I lost a friend today,
Complications with his liver, took him away.
He put up a good fight, until he could go on no more,
I got the call this morning, I admit my heart it still sore.
It feels honestly surreal right now, 
I need to stop rhyming now,
For I feel this is too personal to do my normal thing. So please excuse the mid poem change of format. I feel like my poetic skills fall short on this. The friend I lost was my parent's dog Charlie he was 11 years old. Would have been 12 in August. He was a fighter, who was dealt some unfortunate hands that shortened his life. He was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease a few years back, that made him always thirsty. He was put on medication and his symptoms seemed to decrease but never fully went away. Then recently he started losing weight at a rapid rate. If you looked at him, you could easily see his bones. He looked emaciated even though he was eating and drinking. Internally however he was fighting a losing battle. His enemy? His liver. His liver was starting to shut down, whether that was due to complications to his Cushing's disease, is unknown to me. I want to ask my parents but I don't want to as this is so fresh, bringing it up would be pointless and cause undo stress on my mom. He was a good boy, he never really caused issues like others dogs do. He was loving and sweet, if you were relaxing on the couch he was usually right there with you. 
My parents would often go out of town and ask me to look after their dogs. Usually this amounted to the dogs and I chilling watching movies or playing games. Whatever room I was in Charlie was always there. When I'd go to sleep he was usually at my feet, but only on the couch. When I did manage to crash in a bed he was always right next to me. If he wasn't because he couldn't jump that high, trust me I would hear about. He would bark and bark, like yo! Let me up! He had the funniest little thing when he barked, he would back up as he barked. Like he would bark with such a force that it made him step back. So when say he wanted something he would start barking in one room and by the end might be barking in a completely different one. I remember one night I fell asleep on the couch and he was at my feet and I didn't realize this. So when I went to re-position myself I accidentally kicked him in the head. Well he sure didn't like that, and he told my toes how he felt. He didn't take any toes with him but I jumped a few feet into the air. He felt bad afterwords but a treat and a good petting made him feel better about. My foot took a day haha but since I kicked him I couldn't get mad. He loved to come with me for walks, I would always take him instead of the others, which is probably not cool but it was him and me. He stop and pee on things I would stare at the girls running by. I liked taking him because he didn't bark at other dogs, and he would just trot along all happy to be out. I don''t know how male dogs do it, but man that dude could pee on a lot of stuff and never ran dry. I know that's kind of gross but it is a little fascinating. 
I was able to say my goodbye to him before he passed. A gift I wasn't always given with pets in the past. The last time we lost a dog I was working and wasn't told until I got off. I was devastated for a long time with that one. My parents knew that and wanted me to say my goodbye's before he passed. They knew he didn't have too much longer, even though he was a fighter. So I am very grateful to them for allowing me the honor of saying goodbye. I know this isn't a poem any longer and hasn't been for a bit. I just needed to write down some thoughts on a wonderful dog and a terrific movie buddy. I am going to miss you Charlie, or by his call sign C Bear! You are my friend and I will miss you.    

© 2016 Joshua McNay


Author's Note

Joshua McNay
I know it's not a poem but I didn't know how to classify I just wanted to get some thoughts out. Review if you like.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well done for getting all these emotions out on paper. Sorry to hear about your dog Josh.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Added on May 10, 2016
Last Updated on May 10, 2016

Author

Joshua McNay
Joshua McNay

Grand Junction, CO



About
I write about a Little Red Fox, I hope you enjoy his adventures as much as I do! Thanks for stopping by and as always thank you for reading! Featuring art by Emily Chan, be sure to check her work o.. more..

Writing
Therapy Therapy

A Poem by Joshua McNay