What if?

What if?

A Story by Jean Lagace
"

spirituality

"
WHAT IF
Yesterday, after having read Stephen A Carter's poem "A World without God?", I posted him a comment. Then, I elaborated a bit and here is the final result. I guess Carter caught me at the right time and in the right disposition. What follows is all the religion I will ever need. And I kind of fancy that God won't mind.
As all roads lead to Rome, it could be said that all religions will get you to God. Well, some might not even need that sort of vehicle if they don't care much to be helped in their search for spirituality by catechism, doctrine and a variety of rituals.
I like to think that GOD is similar to autostereograms, images or pictures that one needs a good optic work out in order to discern what they really mean. What I am talking about here is when you must put your eyes in some kind of overdrive in order for a form or another to come out of an amalgam of silly lines, points and angles. Suddenly, you are surprised out of your mind when the unexpected giraffe miraculously appears even if both of your organs are no longer at their rightful place.
Hence, what if heaven was exactly that? Where only those who practice their skills at searching for GOD might be able to see him? That is, sharing in his light somehow. And being blissful in all eternity because of that association or let say, communion. Then, hell would consist of no more than darkness and obscurity. The place where the rest of us, blind fellows, would be found.
Lets put it another way. Heaven described as the ability to see God. Hell as being deprived of the privilege.
So what about religion? Religion and prayers might help to put one in the right spirit. To get one in a kind of searching mode. If you hunt, you might catch something. If you don't, well...
I hear those who will breathe a discreet sight of relief. So, they might conclude happily, this is not so big a deal. One can easily live with that and not be worse off for it. After all, most are quite content to be exactly the way they are.
They won't know about their sorry situation, the poor lot. They shall be like people on earth who will have passed through life not knowing what great literature or music is. They won't ever know what they have missed. They likely won't miss it neither in eternity.
Ignorance doesn't hurt.
What if God was knowledge?
Could it be that simple?

© 2020 Jean Lagace


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi, from sunny Scotland, Jean
This, pretty much, echoes my own view on the God question. You've set out your view succinctly and it hangs together well. Your skilled writing shows your lifetime of arguing cases. I'm always tempted to ask believers to expain their belief but then I pull back for fear of getting into deep and overly personal water. The other problem is that faith is belief in things unseen and that makes it hard to win an argument. As a scientist I proceed in life by the scientific process but then that has been debased by pseudo science. Never mind -we've got Trump and Boris!
Cheers,
Alan

Posted 4 Years Ago


Jean Lagace

4 Years Ago

I wrote a long short story. It is called FAITH. Manuel finds a baseball bat that promised him home r.. read more
Haim Kadman

3 Years Ago

We’ve the same problem in our country, Christianity and Judaism aran’t much different afterall. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
1 Review
Added on April 21, 2020
Last Updated on April 21, 2020

Author

Jean Lagace
Jean Lagace

Montreal, Quebec, Canada



About
I am French Canadian. I have been a trial lawyer for 40 years in Montreal. PILON & LAGACÉ. It still exists. I stopped arguing cases in 2012. While in Pt-Brittany, around St-Pete Beach where I w.. more..

Writing
Eternity Eternity

A Story by Jean Lagace


The Bug The Bug

A Story by Jean Lagace