Relationships

Relationships

A Story by Norma J. Jessee
"

This is only my views, my opinions. The way I feel about things. It is not intended to judge anyone nor am I trying to push my way of thinking on anyone. It is not my intent to offend anyone.

"

Luciano De Crescendo once said, " We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly embracing each other."

 

So why  are we afraid to commit ourselves to loving each other ?

 

Love, compassion, tenderness, sharing, caring and relating are the most vital of human behaviors. We may be in the best of health, have the most beautiful home and a huge bank account. But without these qualities life is empty. Then why knowing this, do we spend so little time developing these behaviors ?

 

Mainly because of the society we are living in, where such words as love and  commitment have been relegated to sentimental and old-fashioned nonsense. Skeptics are ready to ridicule those who speak of broken hearts, of devastating loneliness and the power of love.

 

If you love, you're considered naive. If you're happy, you're considered frivolous and simple. If you're forgiving , you're considered weak. If you're trusting, you're considered a fool. And if you try to be all these things, people say you're a phony.

 

Our society today has bred detached, noncommited people too sophisticated to admit to their confusion, unhappiness and loneliness, and too caught up in ego to risk doing anything about it. relationships do matter. We need love and intimacy  to sustain a good, productive life. A loving touch can heal.

 

Our growing inability to relate to each other is frightening. If this continues soon their will be no marriage, no two parent families, no long lasting relationships. They will become a thing of the past. Extinct.

 

Today meaningless sexual promiscuity is accepted as the norm. To avoid pain, we maintain our distance from each other, become emotionally detached. There is a growing problem of abuse, not only in relationships, but of children and the aged. Individualism, independence, and personal freedom are valued above love and commitment. We are now living in what I call the ( me-ism ) era.

 

By me-ism, I mean everyone is thinking of themselves only. We are putting ourselves above others. If you listen closely to some one talking, we will hear the word (my)quite often when they are refering to something, my children, my house, my car, my money, my, my, my, my,---never ours. Thats because we have begun to think in terms of ourselves only. Selfishness. There's no other word I know for it. And love does  not abide selfishness.

 

There is a story I read sometime ago. it took place in a hospital or an orphanage. I'm not sure now,  which. The babies were all kept in a large room. They failed to thrive and grow and very often died, despite the best efforts of the staff. All except for the baby that was in the crib at the very back of the room, in a corner. The baby in that crib always seem to thrive. As they pondered for the reason for this, they decided to set up a camera and  monitor this crib. As they watched a cleaning woman came into the room every night. She started mopping the floor as she entered the room.

 

She continued through the room, until she had mopped herself into the corner where this crib was. She would take the baby that was in that crib and sit down to rest and wait for the floor  to dry. She would rock, sing and play with baby.

 

After seeing this they began puting different babies in that crib every night. As a result  the babies thrived and there were fewer deaths.

 

We need a loving touch, intimacy in our lives to thrive.

 

Isn't it time we forget our petty egos, give up our fear of being hurt or ridiculed and come together and form loving, long lasting relationships ?

 

We all need each other to fly.

 

 

© 2008 Norma J. Jessee


Author's Note

Norma J. Jessee
This is not intended to offend anyone. This is my opinion only.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I remember hearing about the babies that you speak of...it was in an orphanage where they simply were way to understaffed to deal with them....people need interactions with other people...that is just plain fact...I understood from the beginning that this piece was your opinion on the state of the world today...so I wasn't looking for facts....now...if this was for a newspaper than I agree that you would need to back up your observations with some factual information...beautifully and lovingly written.

laura

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

why can't we.... *sigh* i wish i had all the answers. i think life we be easier if we could all just give up that fear of getting hurt... awesome write, Norma. I loved every word.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I remember hearing about the babies that you speak of...it was in an orphanage where they simply were way to understaffed to deal with them....people need interactions with other people...that is just plain fact...I understood from the beginning that this piece was your opinion on the state of the world today...so I wasn't looking for facts....now...if this was for a newspaper than I agree that you would need to back up your observations with some factual information...beautifully and lovingly written.

laura

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

As writers, we have a responsibility to research and put forward balanced views when opening a discussion. It is fine to then add your own opinions as long as they are clearly stated as such.

There are a lot of extreme assumptions in here...

'Today meaningless sexual promiscuity is accepted as the norm.'
'Our society today has bred detached, noncommited people too sophisticated to admit to their confusion, unhappiness and loneliness and too caught up in ego to risk doing anything about it.'
'If you love, you're considered naive. If you're happy, you're considered frivolous and simple. If you're forgiving, you're considered weak. If you're trusting, you're considered a fool. And if you try to be all these things, people say you're a phony.'

These are not facts. If you are going to write such things it is better to add precursors, such as 'It is suggested.' 'I have heard opinion that'.

If you don't put forward a more balanced and researched piece, then you are at risk of being accused of preaching from a narrowed point of view.

Im really not attacking you... you are obviously highly articulate and have a passion for getting viewpoints across... but you really shouldnt write a piece that is based purely on heresay theories.



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
I won't call this a rant, there is too much love behind the words and the points you are trying to get across, and each of these points are so very true, we have become the unselfish, the instant gratifications, the me society, and so sad it is. We all need to work on these flaws and pay more attention to what we need to do for others before we can truely be happy with ourselves. Norma this is a great piece of work you have written. God Bless and thanks for writing this.
Tony

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I think you are onto something...I do believe in the power of love, of being accepted, and having someone there that will listen. I know I am guilty of being selfish from time to time, but I do honestly try to fight that flaw...
There is something so healing and lovely about encouragement, hugs, and love....

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

WOW!!!! MY MY MY! In answer to your question YES YES YES!!!! This is a work of art, one of the most thoughtful rants I have read Norma; A loving touch can heal...compassion!
I love the quote from Luciano De Crescendo It's a terrific lead-in to what I think is a piece of literature that should be put into a magazine or newspaper. The points you raise are SO important and I agree with each and every word f this powerful write... your narrative is spot on...You go you good thing!!!
Helen xxx

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow Norma, This is such a powerful piece. And I agree with you whole-heartedly! This world is indeed gearing us all towards a place where we only think of ourselves; and love is being pushed right out the back door. God is truly the only one that will allow us all see and believe in anything. But we are doing our best to rid ourselves of Him as well (as a people, that is). Slowly this world is giving over the evil everyday. Although there is always hope for change.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1018 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on March 5, 2008
Last Updated on March 6, 2008

Author

Norma J. Jessee
Norma J. Jessee

VA



About
I am a 57 year old, happily married, mother of 4, who have blessed me with 12 grandchildren. I find a lot of my inspiration comes from my grandchildren. who can provide an endless supply of things to .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fusing of Souls Fusing of Souls

A Poem by Bubo


Silent Decade Silent Decade

A Poem by Bubo


The Seed The Seed

A Poem by Dezaraye