No Tomorrow

No Tomorrow

A Story by jen -- JG
"

a fictional story a teacher who got fired from his job ..................................

"

 

No Tomorrow

 

A short story

By

Jen – JG

 

 

 

Small night creatures bustled about their business, grass and leaves whispered their secrets to the dying sun. Joan and I sat together, yet alone --each wrapped in the sweet solitude of autumn sunset.

 

 

I felt the gentle tug of her hand in mine, heard tears in her voice as she spoke, "it’s time, Paul. They’ll be here soon."

 

 

"Let’m wait!" My voice was gruffer than intended and I felt her quick withdrawal.

 

 

Oh, Joanie! I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rough with you. I just can’t face them yet. It’s too soon."

 

 

"It’s all right Paul, I understand." As she turned away, the last rays of setting sun caught a double gleam, one from the pearls she wore, the other from her creamy cheeks.

 

 

I watched her walk quickly towards the house and felt as empty as the coming years.

 

 

"Why?" My sobbing cry startled nesting birds but otherwise remained unanswered.

 

 

I beat my clenched fists against the seat in an agony of despair. I’d worked my guts out for that school. Worked up from grade teacher to Vice-Principal, and what happens! A week ago they said "I’m sorry Paul, but you’ll have to resign." Sure, I’ve had my bad days, we all did. I’d lost a leg during the war and except for the past year when my heart started acting up, I still managed to fulfill my duties. But, damn it all, there must be something I’m good for. Not just chucked out on the scrap heap at fifty and forgotten! And they have the nerve to come here tonight with their senseless pity.

 

 

‘Early retirement’ – they called it. CRAP! No matter what fancy name they prettied it up with, it still comes out the same. Dumped! That’s what! Dumped like excess baggage that has no further use. God damn it! I don’t want to rot here for the next fifteen years!

 

 

A searing pain hit my chest and I doubled over in agony.

 

 

"Bloody heart! NOW it has to play up" Struggling to get a tablet under my tongue I forced myself to stay still.

 

 

When the pain eased, I struggled upright and leaning heavily on my cane, walked unsteadily towards the house, resting a moment before I entered my study. Once inside, I collapsed into my easy chair.

 

 

How different the study looked now! How empty! A mere shell of its former busy activity. The desk, empty of papers, books neatly replaced on shelves. NULL AND VOID! How that phrase filled my mind. Both my study and myself ---- null and void. It was as though neither of us had ever been important.

 

 

Yet here, as in the rest of the house was Joan’s special touch Gay cushions propped against comfortable easy chairs, her embroidered ‘Home Sweet Home’ hanging over the mantle. The crazy pot plant that never knew when to stop growing still sent its creepers and fronds dangling everywhere. She’d arranged cut flowers in her best crystal vase and put them on a tray with a coffeepot and a mug. "Trust Joan" I thought. "She knew I’d sneak in here first." There on a small table lay her discarded knitting and propped in front of our family photo was a note, which simply said, "I love you"

 

Tears filled my eyes at the beautiful memories those three little words brought to mind and the room swam in front of me…………….

 

 

 -------- Once again I saw the room as it used to be. Desk overflowing with papers. Typed sheets of paper scattered every which way. Books piled high in almost every corner. Coffee mugs steaming and Joan, sitting quietly in her corner, knitting, her busy needles click clicking in time with the clack clacking of my typewriter.

 

 

Again I saw the quiet smile on her face as she glanced up at me and heard her girly laughter as a froth of coffee caught on my mustache.

 

 

Through a swirling mist of pain my trembling fingers closed over her precious note..

 

 

"I love you too. Joanie, Oh, God, I feel so -- so useless."

 

 

My head slumped sideways but I was too tired to move. "Lord, I’m so tired --- so very -----very -----tired………………………………..

 

 

 

 

……………….In the lounge room, John listened as the school committee explained the urgency of their visit.

 

 

They explained their concern for Paul and also for the students saying " We were so sorry to ask Paul to resign early but we had no choice. We’ve known for some time that he has a heart condition and have been keeping an eye on him. The last episode on the sports ground would have been fatal if young Thompson hadn’t disobeyed orders and gone to practice drop kicks in his morning break. We didn’t even know Paul was out there! We know about Paul’s interest in drama. His pupils always remember the lessons, and get top marks when they dramatized what they learned.

 

 

The department wants Paul to return two mornings a week to continue teaching English History in drama form. If he wants to of course, the choice is his. We only got official approval this afternoon."

 

 

Joan gazed around the room, saw the honest love and friendship shining from the school committee faces and knew Paul’s friends had not deserted him at all.

 

Keeping control of her emotions and promising to give them Paul’s decision in the morning, she showed them out, before slumping in stunned disbelief.

 

 

They really wanted Paul, and in the one subject he cared most about. Coaching children’s drama in English history, only if he wanted to, of course.

 

 

IF HE WANTED TO!

 

 

This was his dream come true – oh how happy he’d be!

 

 

She couldn’t wait to tell him.

 

 

         Eagerness danced across the room.

               Excitement knocked on the door. ------

                   Love and pride beamed as she softly entered the study.-----

                           Shock froze her voice -------Fear whispered the terrible truth.

 

   

         Heartbreak screamed his name.

 

 

 

 

ã Copyright Jen – JG 1998

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 jen -- JG


Author's Note

jen -- JG
is this believable? does it work? all thoughts and comments please. Thank you

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh how horrible! Yeah... it is believable. Such a sad ending. Human beings are really bad about that - communicating their honest, good intentions when it really counts... Sad, but yes - believeable, true, well written. Good job, though it was a bittersweet read.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I liked the fact that you made the character less than perfect, he had some quirks such as missing a leg and a bad heart but he put everything into that school and then his anger at being forced into early retirement. It actually is a believable look at the inside of school politics.

Posted 16 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ady
This has a feeling of prose poetry moreso than a short story. It is lyrical and beautiful. It tells a story, but it does so in more prose. The format of the writing itself is reminiscent more of poetry. It is good though!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2008

Author

jen -- JG
jen -- JG

Melbourne, Australia



About
I enjoy reading, writing and watching movies. There are two adorable cats in our household who give us much pleasure. i enjoy writing poetry of most kinds, rhyme - open verse - and often anything a.. more..

Writing