Out of the nest

Out of the nest

A Poem by Jennifer Morris
"

we sacrifice so many things for the ones we love so they can have a better life but what happens when someone sacrifices too much...

"

Out of the Nest


As a child, he thought mom would be there forever

Little did he know that was not the plan,

As he aged into a man, he had been slowly pushed into the world people want him to be in

Well, it’s time he took  a stand, stand for his opinions, he shouldn’t be intimidated by people who didn’t think he should see the world. So he took the leap, took risks, fell in love with a woman and had a child. Married her and had 4 more kids, he kisses her every morning, looking at his children sleeping, he thanks his mother for sacrificing her life for him. See what those people didn’t know was that his mother had breast cancer and instead of using her money to save herself she choose to put it in a checkings account for his college education.

She saw her boy walk on stage, receive his diploma and his award for valedictorian. she watched him as his lips pronounced each loving word. She smiled one last moment then mouthed thank you, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Moments later a woman yelped in fright, she couldn’t speak but she didn’t have to, the man next to her quickly screamed: “call the paramedics!” The boys smile suddenly turned to a gaze of terror as he saw his mother being put on the gurney. At the hospital, they said their final goodbyes because she died there at the graduation ceremony. He held her hand for hours until security escorted him out.

The next week only 2 people came to the funeral, 3 if you count the fetus in his fiance's belly. They drove home where he could barely control himself. Four years later, he kissed his wife and watched his children sleep one more time. 5 hours later his wife heard a knock on the door, it was a police officer, he had desolation in his eye, the tears started to fall from the officer’s eyes, the officer  was her husband’s partner and hadn’t come for the small talk. Tears started falling down her cheeks as she fell to her knees. Her husband had been involved in a shootout and was caught in the crossfire, but he died an immediate painless death.

-Out of the Nest

© 2016 Jennifer Morris


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on February 25, 2016
Last Updated on February 25, 2016
Tags: first upload, going off into the world, ehh i got nothing else

Author

Jennifer Morris
Jennifer Morris

Bronx, NY



About
I am passionate about writing but sometimes my brain moves faster than my fingers. I like writing suspenseful stories, I will try to have a new story out each week. P.S. I normally write other types o.. more..

Writing