Shipwrecked with God

Shipwrecked with God

A Story by Kimberly Adams
"

Sabrina has been shipwrecked on the island for years when three teenage girls become stranded. While there, they tell Sabrina how she needs God. Will God ever rescue Sabrina from the island?

"

Chapter 1

 

            “Time to get up already?” I sat up and stretched.

            The sun was shining into my hut and I could hear the ocean waves crashing a few feet away.

            “Morning!” my parrot Arthur chirped.

            “Good morning, Arthur. Now, what should we do today?”

            “Arthur wants breakfast.”

            “All right,” I said with a laugh. I pulled off the blanket that I had made out of my old clothes and stood up.

            I went over to the table in the area that I consider my kitchen. On the table were a bunch of bananas that I had just picked yesterday. I peeled a banana and gave it to Arthur and then peeled a second one for myself.

            “I guess we had better get some more food,” I told Arthur while we ate.

            “Arthur want breakfast,” he chirped again.

            “Another banana?” I asked as I held one out.

            “Arthur want breakfast, he repeated.

            I peeled him another banana and had another one myself.

            “I am going to go out and pick some more fruit. Are you going to come?”

            Arthur followed me out of the hut and into the jungle of trees. I quickly located some coconuts. I shimmied up the tree with my bare feet and threw them to the ground. Then, I spotted some bananas so I quickly climbed that tree and grabbed those too. Finally, I decided to grab some pineapples.

            “That should be good for a few days,” I told Arthur as I gathered up one load to take back to the hut.

            “Uh, oh,” Arthur said as I was about to grab my third and final load of fruit.

            “What?” I asked Arthur.

            “Uh, oh,” he said again. He started flying into the hut without waiting for me.

            Suddenly, I felt a cool breeze. I looked up and saw that it was no longer sunny and warm like it was this morning. Dark storm clouds were moving in quickly.

            I rushed back to the hut and had just made it inside before the first drop fell.

            “Looks like we will be inside for awhile. This storm looks like a big one.”

            Lightening flashed and thunder cracked right after. The rain drops became bigger and pounded the hut.

            I was very thankful that I had made some repairs last week after the hut was damaged in a different storm. I was now staying safe and dry in my hut. I only hoped that it would be strong enough to withstand the whole storm.

            I thought back to my first storm on the island and how afraid I was. Not long after that, I made the hut. Whenever it stormed I would hide under the blankets until it was over. It rains nearly everyday on the island though. By now, I am no longer afraid of storms. I only wish that someone could be here with me now, to help pass the time until the storm ends and I could go outside.

            At long last, the thunder got farther apart from the lightening and the rain lessened up. After awhile, everything was quiet, and I could go outside and have some fun.

 

Chapter 2

 

            “What a beautiful day to go sailing,” I said to Emily.

            “The sun is just perfect.”

            “I hope we see some dolphins or whales,” Miranda said hopefully.

            “I’m sure we will,” Emily replied.

            It was a beautiful day to go sailing and just spend time with each other. We had just gotten out of school for the summer yesterday and we decided to celebrate with a little sailing trip.

            “Look over there!” Miranda exclaimed.

            “Dolphins!” I cried.

            “Grab the camera, Tiffanie!”

            I ran and grabbed the camera and started snapping pictures of the dolphins.

            “This summer is off to a great start!” I said excitedly.

            “Day one of summer and we’re already having adventures,” Emily agreed. “I wonder what the rest of the summer has in store for us.”

            The dolphins disappeared and we sat down and relaxed in the sun. It was just a perfect day to be out on the ocean.

            I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I know, I am awaken by a cool breeze. I looked up and saw that the sky was really dark.

            “I think we had better turn back,” I called.

            “We already have,” Emily said. “But we have been sailing for a couple of hours. We have quite a ways to go.”

            Rain drops started falling fast and heavy. The wind picked up and waves started rocking the boat back and forth.

            “What do we do?” I asked worriedly.

            “What can we do?” Miranda replied. “We are stuck in the ocean. We just have to continue heading back.”

            “How can you tell if we are headed in the right direction?”

            “Would you guys just relax?” Emily asked, sounding rather frustrated. “I’m doing what I can.”

            There was a flash of lightening and thunder cracked. The boat started rocking even more. The rain came down even faster.

            I was starting to get scared. I had no idea how Emily would keep up heading in the right direction.

            “Hold on!” she called.

            The waves were bringing water in the boat. If the storm continued, we would sink.

            I don’t know how it happened but one minute I was in the boat and the next I was in the ocean.

            “Grab the life preserver!” Emily called to Miranda.

            Miranda tossed the life preserver but a huge wave rocked the boat and she lost her balance. She hit her head on the side of the boat before going into the water headfirst.

            “Grab her!” Emily called.

            The waves were making it difficult to swim towards her.  Luckily, Miranda had put on a life jacket when the storm started so she was still floating.

            Emily was just getting ready to throw the next life preserver when the sail came swinging towards her.

            “Look out!” I tried yelling but I ended up with a mouth full of water.

            Emily swung around and saw it coming right at her. She ended up being knocked in the water as well and the sailboat started drifting farther away.

 

Chapter 3

 

            I was just coming back from the spring with drinking water when I heard a groan coming from the beach.

            “Shh!” I whispered to Arthur as I moved behind a palm tree.

            I peered around the tree and couldn’t believe my eyes. Three girls were lying on the shore!

            That’s impossible, I thought. They would have to have a boat somewhere.

            I peered around the tree and got another look at the girls. I couldn’t see a boat. It kind of looked like they were lying on the beach asleep.

            I heard another groan. The girls seemed to need help. They didn’t look dangerous so I came out from behind the tree and headed towards the girls.

            “Help!” one of them cried out weakly. “A wild island native!”

            “It’s ok,” I assured the girl. I looked them over and saw that two of the girls were bleeding and unconscious and all of them looked exhausted. There wasn’t enough room in my hut for all of them, but the sky was darkening and soon it would be time for bed.

            “Can you walk?” I asked the girl that had screamed for help.

            “I think so.”

            “Come to my hut and I will take care of you.” I pointed to my hut that was only yards away.

            The girl tried standing on her own but she was so tired that she nearly fell. I held out my hand and held on to her until she was lying on my small bed.

            Next, I went back to the beach and found the other two girls still asleep. So I half dragged, half carried them to the hut and laid them on the sand.

            While it was still light, I used the water I had gathered from the spring to clean the girls’ cut and covered them with leaves to keep them warm. Then I went outside and made a fire.

            I had no idea when the girls would wake. Whatever had happened to them had to be dramatic. I just had to hope that someone was looking for them.

            My stomach growled. It was dinnertime. Should I wake the girls for dinner or let them sleep? I finally decided they needed the sleep more than the food. So I snuck quietly in the hut and grabbed some food for Arthur and me.

            Arthur and I sat around the fire for a long time, waiting for the girls to wake up. I had so much I wanted to ask them. They could be my chance off the island. I had been waiting to be rescued for years.

            I had been dreaming about the day I would be rescued ever since I had arrived on the island. I was always imagining the first thing I would do when I got back. I hadn’t thought about that much lately. I was starting to give up hope that I would ever be found.

            I was starting to get tired. The fire was dying out so Arthur and I went into the hut. I curled up on the sand floor and fell asleep, dreaming about being rescued and what the world would be like when I returned.

 

Chapter 4

 

            “Where am I?” I asked as I opened my eyes and saw that I was lying on an unusual bed. The last thing I remembered was finally reaching the beach.

            “Good morning!” a skinny dark girl with very long hair said excitedly. She was also wearing a grass skirt, which I thought was a little weird.

            “Who are you?” I screamed, causing my friends to stir from where they were sleeping on the ground.

            “How are you feeling?” the girl asked and handed me a banana.

            I was starting to remember more. The girl had seen us on the beach and moved us to this hut.

            “Where are we?” Emily groaned and sat up. “What happened?”

            “I have no idea,” Miranda said. “Why does my head hurt?”

            “How are you feeling?” the girl asked again. She handed Emily and Miranda a banana and then sat down and gave one to a parrot before eating one herself.

            “Who are you?” I asked again.

            “I’m Sabrina. Who are you?”

            “What are you doing here?” Emily asked.

            “What do you mean? This is my hut.”

            “What are we doing in your hut?”

            “Yesterday afternoon you washed up on the shore. You were really tired. I asked that girl to walk to my hut but you guys were asleep so I helped you.”

            “What happened, Tiffanie?” Miranda asked. She had not touched her banana. She wanted answers.

            “Well, the storm was so bad that I ended up in the water. You tried to throw me the life preserver but you got knocked into the water. Then, Emily tried throwing another life preserver but the sail knocked her into the water. I grabbed onto the life preserver and we drifted here.

            “Where’s your boat now?” Sabrina asked.

            “I don’t know.”

            “So where are we?” Emily asked.

            “Some island, I think. Can you tell us where we are, Sabrina?”

            “A deserted island,” she replied calmly.

            “You can’t be serious!” I exclaimed.

            “You mean there is no one else on this island?” Miranda cried.

            “Why are you here?” Emily asked.

            “My parents and I were on a boat when a huge storm hit. The boat started taking on water and we had to jump into the ocean. They put a life ring around me and we drifted for a long time. But then another storm hit and I never saw my parents again. I drifted here and have been living on this island ever since.”

            “And how long have you been here?” Emily asked slowly.

            “Since I was seven.”           

            This wasn’t looking good. This girl looked to be in her teens.

            “And how old are you now?”

            “I really don’t know.”

            “When were you born?”

            “In 1994.”

            “You have been here for ten years?” Miranda asked incredulously.

            “We are going to be here forever!” Emily cried.

            “Hey, relax,” I ordered Emily and Miranda.

            “How can we when we are going to be here for the rest of our lives?”

            “Sabrina, do you think your parents are still alive?” I asked.

            “If they are, then they think I am dead. Otherwise, everyone must assume that I am dead.”

            “So no one was looking for you because they thought you died! That means we might still have hope! There will be people looking for us!”

            “Really?” Sabrina asked excitedly.

            “I have no idea where we are, but we can’t be too far away. They should find us real soon.”

            “How did you honestly survive for ten years?” Miranda asked.

            “There are lots of different kinds of fruit. And there’s fresh water.”

            “Just look at this as an adventure,” I told Miranda.

            “I think this quit being an adventure ten years ago for Sabrina,” she said sarcastically.

 

Chapter 5

 

            Tiffanie seemed pretty confident that someone would start looking for them. It could be a matter of days and then I would be able to leave the island! But then another thought hit me. Where would I go when I got off the island? I don’t even know if I have any family.

            “We had better go find some more food it we are going to be stuck here for awhile,” Emily said after she had finished her banana.

            “It looks like we are going to need to get some more water too,” Miranda said.

            “Are you guys up for a trip in the jungle?” I asked worriedly. “Maybe you should rest a few days. Maybe I should just go. You are my guests, after all.”

            “Sabrina, we are stuck on this island, just like you. If it weren’t for you, we would be here all by ourselves, unsure what to do. We will help you out.”

            “That’s what I don’t get,” Emily said. “You were seven when you were shipwrecked. How in the world did you know what to do to survive?”

            “Some of it was just natural. I just knew what to do. I was hungry so I went and found food.”

            “But what about the hut and bed?”

            “I watched Gilligan’s Island a few times. They had huts and beds and all sorts of things so I made them too.”

            “But where do you get fresh water? How did you know not to drink from the ocean?”

            “On Gilligan’s Island they had to collect water so I knew I had to do that too. Besides, I didn’t go directly from the boat to the island. I ended up drinking a lot of salt water on accident before I arrived here.”

            “You seem very intelligent.”

            “I was actually in fourth grade before I got shipwrecked. I got to skip a few grades.”

            “Wow!”

            “Why don’t we go get some fruit?” I suggested, trying to change the subject. “It storms nearly everyday so we need to take advantage of the nice weather.”

            They followed me into the jungle.

            “Are you sure you know your way back?” Miranda asked worriedly.

            “Relax, I have been on this island for ten years. I know my way around.”

            “Do you have any advice about surviving?” Emily asked.

            “Don’t go into the ocean because there are stingrays close by. Also, don’t eat anything unless you are positive it is edible.”

            “Don’t your feet hurt after walking on all these sharp plants?”

            “I don’t have any shoes. I haven’t had any for years. My feet have toughened up.”

            “I sure hope we aren’t here that long,” I heard Miranda mumble.

            “Here are some bananas,” I said as I pointed above us.

            “How in the world are we going to get those down?” Tiffanie asked in wonder.

            “Climb, of course.”

            “Climb?”

            “Don’t worry,” I will do it.” I shimmied up the tree and came down with a bunch of bananas.

            Next, we got some more coconuts and pineapples.

            “Let’s go drop this off and then we can go get the water.”

            “Coming through!” Arthur squealed.

            “Who’s that?” Emily asked as all the girls turned around to look.

            “That’s just Arthur, my parrot,” I said with a laugh.

            “You have a parrot?”

            “Of course. I need some company while I am stuck here. Now, let’s go back to the hut.”

            We dropped off the food and then I led them to the spring.

            “This is beautiful!” they exclaimed when they saw the waterfall.

            “I go swimming in the water and get drinking water from the waterfall.”

            “Can we go swimming now?”

            “We had better head back,” I said with a look at the sky. “It looks like a storm is coming.”

            “Do storms always change your plans?”

            “Not really. The storms never last very long and then it is nice enough to go back out.”

 

 

 

Chapter 6

 

            After the storm, Miranda, Emily, and I decided to help Sabrina out by getting wood to build a signal fire once it was dark.

            “Are you sure that it is a good idea for you to go out by yourself?” Sabrina asked when we told her our plan. “Why don’t you wait for me to get your beds built and then I can help you?”

            “You can’t do everything for us,” Miranda said. “Right now we would rather be helping instead of watching you work.”

            “We could be here awhile,” I pointed out. “We might as well learn the island. God will lead us around safely.”

            Sabrina really seemed hesitant to let us go alone. She looked like she was considering abandoning her project to go with us.

            “Don’t go too far,” she said at last. “If you get in trouble just start yelling and I will be able to hear you and come right away.”

            “All right. See you later.”

            “She does seem nice,” Miranda commented as we headed away from the hut.

            “She can’t run the whole island by herself. It isn’t her fault that we are here.”

            “I hope that we aren’t here for ten years like her though,” Emily said.

            “God brought us to this island for a reason,” I replied. “He has plans that we just don’t know about.”

            “I’m just so terrified,” Miranda said.

            “We all are.”

            “Maybe we should stop here,” Emily said nervously as we entered the edge of the jungle.

            “I’m not seeing any firewood here though. I think Sabrina would have picked up firewood from the edge of the jungle first.”

            “Then just a little farther,” Miranda said. Her voice was shaking.

            “Look, there’s some!” I said excitedly.

            “I just thought of something!” Emily said.

            “What’s that?” I asked.

            “We don’t know what kind of jungle this is! There could be wild animals in here and we wouldn’t even know!”

            “I’m sure Sabrina would have told us if there were. Besides, we walked in here earlier with Sabrina and we didn’t see anything.”

            “I’m still scared,” Emily whimpered.

            “Just relax,” I said calmly, even though I was starting to get freaked out. “God brought us this far. We didn’t die in the storm and no sharks ate us when we were in the ocean. I think with His help we can handle this island.”

            “I guess you are right,” Emily said. “But I am still scared. Let’s grab this wood and get back to the hut fast.”

            Miranda and Emily started running around, grabbing every stick and branch in site. I rushed around with them so that we could get out of jungle as soon as possible.

            “I think we have enough for tonight,” Emily said when our arms were full. “Let’s get out of here.”

            “You know that we are just going to have to come back tomorrow for more.”

            “I’m either hoping that Sabrina can come with us or that we will be rescued by then,” Miranda said as she started heading out.

            “Finished already?” Sabrina said when she saw us.

            “I don’t know how you were able to go into the jungle as a kid,” Emily said.

            “What do you mean?” Sabrina asked.

            “You were here, all alone, when you were seven. We can’t even handle being in the jungle with all three of us and we are seventeen.”

            “I told you before that I grew up watching Gilligan’s Island and that I learned a lot from them,” she said with a laugh. “The biggest fear on the show was probably headhunters.”

            “Headhunters!” Miranda screamed. She ran behind me, looking for headhunters.

            “There aren’t any headhunters around here,” Sabrina said.

            “You’ll have to excuse my friends. They aren’t accustomed to the castaway lifestyle.”

            “Well, I only hope that you aren’t here long enough to become accustomed to it but if you are, well, I don’t think it will take very long for you to adjust.”

            “Maybe we should pray, you guys,” I suggested. “It will help all of us feel better.”

            “Pray?” Sabrina questioned.

            “Haven’t you ever prayed to God while you have been here?” Miranda asked.

            “Not really. Why should I? He has left me trapped on a deserted island. You too!”

            “That’s one way to look at it,” Miranda said. “But God has brought us here for a reason. And in the meantime, we can pray that He will keep us safe and lead our rescuers to us.”

            Miranda grabbed Emily’s and my hand and I held out mine for Sabrina to hold.

            “I thought you prayed like this,” she said as she put her hands together, bowed her head, and closed her eyes.

            “There are several ways to pray.”

            “Oh,” she said as she grabbed her hand.

            “Should we do popcorn or should one person pray?” Emily asked.

            “You want to pray for popcorn?” Sabrina asked.

            “No, a popcorn prayer means that we take turns praying. Anyone can pray.”

            “Why don’t you pray, Tiffanie?” Miranda suggested.

            “Lord, all of us have had quite the adventure, but thankfully we have survived and made it to this island. We just pray that You will be with us while we are on the island and give us the resources to survive until we are rescued. We also pray for our rescuers and that You would lead them to us safely. Amen.”

            “Amen!” Sabrina said loudly.

            “I do feel better,” Miranda said.

            “Me too,” Emily replied.

            “Well, I need to go finish the beds before it gets dark,” Sabrina said. “Do you want to get the fire started?”

            “Sure.”

            “I think we need to introduce her to God,” I told Miranda and Emily as we sat down on the ground to start rubbing sticks together.

 

 

Chapter 7

 

            I went back into the hut to finish the beds while the other girls worked on the fire. I could probably get the fire started faster than they could but they were insisting that they needed to help and learn.

            It was amazing how much hope the girls’ arrival had given me though. I had given up on the possibility of a rescue years ago. At the same time though, a part of me kept telling myself not to get my hopes up too high. I mean, I was never found, and the same thing could happen to these girls.

            And what were they saying about God bringing them to the island for a reason? Why would God do anything like that to someone? I mean, what gain has there been in me living on this island? It isn’t like I have done anything for anyone while stranded here. Everything I have done has been for the sole purpose of survival.

            I really didn’t know what the girls were talking about. They must have hit their heads on a rock or something.

            “Sabrina!” I heard one of the girls call, brining me away from my thoughts.

            “Yeah?” I called back.

            “Would you mind helping us? It is starting to get dark and we would like to get this fire going.”

            I had just finished working on the last bed so I stood up and walked outside to help them. The girls were sitting around a pile of unlit firewood, looking frustrated.

            “We tried, we honestly did,” Tiffanie said.

            “And to think that you were able to do this when you were seven,” Emily said sheepishly.

            “It just takes patience,” I said as I took the sticks from them and started rubbing.

            In no time at all, there was a roaring fire.

            “Wow!” Miranda said.

            “You really should think about teaching a survival class after we get rescued.”

            “I’m pretty sure if a seven year old can figure it out, anybody can,” I said with a laugh.

            “Then why can’t we?” Emily asked.

            “Because you have just arrived. You haven’t had much practice and you lack patience.”

            “Gives us something to work on,” Miranda said as her stomach growled.

            “Are you ready to eat?” I asked.

            “I will go get the fruit,” Emily offered. She rushed into the hut and was out a moment later with the fruit we had picked earlier today.

            “Should we pray?” Miranda asked.

            “I’ll pray,” Emily offered.

            “All right.”

            We all bowed our heads and waited for Emily to begin. Even though I still wasn’t one for religion, I decided that there was no harm in praying.

            “Lord, we just give thanks for this delicious fruit and the fact that we are blessed, even when we are stranded on a deserted island. Thanks. Amen.

            “Do you ever get tired of fruit?” Tiffanie asked as she peeled a banana.

            “I haven’t gone fishing recently,” I replied.

            “How do you go fishing?” Miranda asked.

            “I wait until low tide and then there is this spot where fish get stuck.”

            “Sounds delicious,” Miranda said with a scrunched up face.

            “Sorry, but there aren’t a lot of options here.”

            “I think I’ll manage for a short time. I certainly can’t wait to be rescued though.”

            That reminded me of the question I had earlier.

            “Why do you think God brought you to this island on purpose?” I asked.

            “We don’t really know yet,” Tiffanie replied. “Sometimes it is hard to see what God’s plans are at first.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “Well, take Ester for example. She was made queen to save her people. She didn’t know why she was made queen at first.”

            “Who is Ester?” I guess I had been away from civilization for so long that I had no idea that we were now ruled by Queen Ester.

            “She was a woman in the Bible.”

            “Oh.” I was glad that I hadn’t told the girls who I had thought Ester was.

            “So you are saying that you were brought to this island and something might happen later for you to see the reason?”

            “Exactly.”

            “How long can it take?” Hopefully it wouldn’t take very long. I wanted to be rescued.

            “We don’t know.”

            “So it can take ten years or more? Like, maybe that is the reason I am still stuck on this island?”

            “Only God knows the plans He has for you, Sabrina.”

            “I sure hope it doesn’t take you guys more than ten years for God’s plans to be revealed.”

            “Don’t we all,” Miranda agreed.

            The girls then jumped into a discussion of who should stay up to tend the fire. They told me I wasn’t allowed to help so I might as well go to bed. So I did. I needed some time to think.

 

Chapter 8

 

            “Good morning,” Arthur chirped the next day.

            “Time to get up already?” I groaned and sat up on the bed.

            It had not been a good night. Miranda had woken me up right after I had fallen asleep to take the second watch of the fire. After my turn, I had tossed and turned on the uncomfortable bed until I feel asleep right as it was getting light.    

            The only one besides Arthur that looked really awake was Sabrina.

            “Good morning,” she said as she jumped out of bed and went over to the table holding the fruit. “How did everyone sleep?”

            “It’s an unfamiliar environment,” I reminded Miranda. She looked like she was about to complain about the new beds Sabrina had worked so hard on.

            “Is Emily still on watch?” she asked instead.

            “Probably.”

            “Why don’t we go outside and have our breakfast?” Sabrina suggested. “Then I will go over the things we need to do today.”

            Miranda and I reluctantly got out of bed and followed her out of the hut.

            “Wake up sleepyhead!” Sabrina called as we approached the remains of the fire and a sleeping Emily.

            “I haven’t been asleep that long, I swear!” Emily said. “I just rested my eyes for a second.”

            “How about I help out with the watch tonight?” Sabrina said. “That way you will be able to get more sleep.”

            “But you already do so much.”

            “Today we are going to be working together though.”

            “What needs done?”

            “We need more firewood and fruit. And I thought maybe we could go fishing if you are tired of fruit.”

            Miranda and Emily gave each other a disgusted look but thankfully didn’t say anything. I knew they were tired of fruit and would probably eat the fish no matter how much they didn’t like it.

            “How about we pray for our fruit and then we can get the day started?” I suggested.

            “Sabrina had just picked up a banana but put it down and got ready to pray.

            “Lord,” I began, “I just want to thank You for the fruit we are about to eat. We also thank You for Sabrina, because without her we would be nowhere. I just ask that You be with us today and help us with the things we need to do. I also pray for those who might be rescuing us and that You would lead them here. Amen.”

            We eagerly started peeling our bananas.

            “How did you become so close to God?” Sabrina asked.

            “I guess we were all raised in Christian homes,” Emily answered.

            “We just made the decision on our own to stay close to God,” I said.

            “What do you mean?”

            “Well, our parents did all they could, by taking us to church and Sunday school and reading the Bible. But in the end, we had to make the decisions ourselves to accept the forgiveness that God gave us.”

            “And what does it mean to accept forgiveness?” I could tell that Sabrina was very curious.

            “Jesus died for our sins,” I said. “We accept that forgiveness when we decide that we want to live our lives for God. When we make that decision, we are baptized.”

            “What is baptism?”

            “Baptism is when you are completely submerged in water. Then, your sins are washed away.”

            “It all sounds so easy, but so difficult.”

            “What do you mean?” Now it was my turn to ask the questions.

            “Because I have no idea what God wants from me or why He brought me here. How can I live my life for God when I don’t know what His plans are?”

            “We all struggle to see the big picture at times. But while we are here, we will help you recognize God working in your life.”

            “I think we all hope that we won’t be here much longer,” Sabrina said. “So we had better get to that point quickly.”

            I took that as a good sign that Sabrina was curious and wanted to find God.

            “Lord,” I prayed silently, “help us to lead Sabrina to you while we are here. Give us the words and actions to lead her to You. Amen.

 

Chapter 9

 

            “How about we go for a swim first to wake you up?” I suggested.

            “Sounds good to me.”

            “And me.”

            “Let’s go.”

            We walked through the jungle and to the waterfall.

            “Would you teach me how to make a grass skirt?” Miranda asked on the way.

            “Sure. It’s not that difficult.”

            “Isn’t it scratchy?”

            “You get used to it. The clothes I had when I arrived wore out pretty quickly. So I used them to make underclothes and blankets and made my clothes out of stuff I found on the island.”

            “I hope we aren’t here long enough for us to need to wear grass,” Tiffanie said with a laugh.

            “That’s what the signal fire is for,” I reminded her.

            “Did you ever build a signal fire?” Tiffanie asked.

            “I build a fire every night.”

            “Why do you think you were never rescued then?”

            “Nobody was looking for me. Everyone probably thought that I had died when the boat sank.”

            “When did you give up hope?”

            “A long time ago.”

            We arrived at the waterfall then and all the questions stopped.

            “What are you waiting for?” I asked as I stripped down to my underclothes. “Jump in!” I dived into the cold water.

            I saw the other girls eying the water. Finally, one by one, they stepped hesitantly towards the edge.

            “How deep is it?” Miranda asked as she stuck a toe in.

            “It sure is cold!” Tiffanie said as she did the same thing.

            “Come on, guys,” I protested. “The water is refreshing.”

            Tiffanie got up the courage and finally jumped in.

            “Man is that cold!” she said when she surfaced.

            Emily and Miranda were a bit more cautious, deciding to slip into the water slowly.

            “It is really great that you have a safe place to swim,” Tiffanie said. “That’s one blessing that God has given you.”

            “You’re right,” I said. “But it still doesn’t explain why I am on this deserted island.” I dove under the water.

            “You just need to jump in!” I heard Tiffanie tell Miranda and Emily as I emerged. They were still slowly trying to adjust to the water.

            “She’s right,” I said. I got out of the water so that I could show them how it is done.

            “Don’t splash us!” Miranda pleaded.

            “Then get up here and jump in.”

            They got out of the water and stood next to me.

            “What are you waiting for?”

            “You first.”

            “Chicken!” I jumped into the water, making a huge splash. “Now it is your turn.”

            Miranda took one look at the water and finally plugged her nose and jumped in.

            “So cold!” she screamed when she surfaced.

            “Your turn, Emily!”

            Emily took a couple of steps back and got ready to run into the water.

            One second she was running, and then she was slipping on the rock and falling into the water!

            The second she fell in, we were all diving to the bottom to rescue her.

            Miranda and I both pulled her up from the bottom. Once we surfaced, Tiffanie jumped out of the water to pull her by the arms to get her on land.

            “Are you all right?” Tiffanie asked Emily as she started spitting out water.

            Emily looked terrible. Her hands, face, and legs were all scraped up from the rock and she looked like she was in pain.

            “My. Leg. Really. Hurts,” she said between gasping and spitting water.

            “What do we do?” Tiffanie whispered to me.

            “I don’t know,” I whispered back. The whole time I have been on the island I have never had more than a scratch.

            “We should probably get her back to the hut,” Miranda said.

            “Do you think you can walk?” Tiffanie asked Emily.

            “I don’t think so,” she said weakly.

            “We are going to have to carry her,” I said. “But first, we should probably get your leg in a splint.”

            “How are we going to do that?” Miranda asked.

            “Get that stick,” I said. “And someone give me their t-shirt.”

            Tiffanie got the stick that I had pointed to and Miranda gave me her shirt.

            “Sorry,” I said as I started tearing her shirt into strips. “I will give you some of my natural clothes when we get back.”

            I worked on splinting her leg and then we carried her back to the hut.

            “Now what?” Tiffanie asked tearfully.

            “Pray,” I told her.

            Tiffanie gave me a surprised look but did what I said.

            “Lord, we continue to ask for Your help and now we ask that You heal Emily. Now, more than ever, we really need rescued. Amen.”

            “If I was familiar with the Bible, I would tell you a story that would make you feel better,” I said.

            “The Bible is full of stories of Jesus healing people,” Tiffanie said with a weak laugh.

            “Don’t worry,” I said. “God will be with her.”

            I had no idea where this was coming form. Maybe I really did need God in my life.

            Just then I became aware of Miranda and Tiffanie whispering to each other.

            “Go with her,” Miranda whispered to Tiffanie. “I can stay here.”

            “What’s going on?” I asked.

            “Do you want to go out and get something to eat?” Tiffanie asked me.

            “I guess,” I replied, even though I was confused about what they were talking about.

 

Chapter 10

 

            “What’s going on?” Sabrina asked as we headed into the jungle.

            “What do you mean?”

            “I thought you weren’t really a religious person.”

            “And I thought you were trying to help me become closer to God while we are on the island. How do you know that you aren’t having an affect on me?”

            “I didn’t know it happened that fast.”

            “It isn’t,” she said dejectedly. “I just suggested that you pray because it seemed like it would make you feel better. You seem to pray whenever things are bothering you.”

            She stopped at a tree and started shimming up to the top.

            “What are you doing?” I asked.

            “Catch!” she said as she started throwing coconuts down at me.

            “Watch it!” I cried as the coconuts started raining down.

            “Sorry,” she said as she slid down the tree.

            “So let me get this straight,” I said as we gathered up the coconuts. “You are interested in drawing closer to God, but you just want to know what He is doing in your life?”

            “Right,” she said as she led the way through the jungle.

            “Can I tell you my story?” I asked. That is what Miranda had told me to do when she whispered to me earlier. She thought I could help Sabrina.

            “Sure!” she said eagerly as she climbed up another tree for bananas.

            “Well, I told you I was raised by Christian parents. They read the Bible to me and took me to church and Sunday school. It was all ok. I mean, I enjoyed hanging out with my friends at church. But it wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I saw God working in my life.”

            “What happened?” she asked as she handed the bananas down to me and then jumped out of the tree. Even though she was busy collecting food, I could tell that she was very interested to hear what I had to say.

            “I woke up one night to the sound of the smoke alarms,” I began slowly.

            “Was your house on fire?” she asked incredulously. She started walking through the jungle.

            “Yes. By the time I woke up, the whole house was engulfed in flames. I couldn’t even get out of my room.”

            “What did you do?” Sabrina had quit walking so that she could focus on what I was saying.

            “I did the only thing I could do. I crawled out of the window and onto the roof of our porch. It was too high for me to jump so I just had to wait until the firefighters showed up and could help me down.”

            “Were you all right?”

            “Just a little smoke inhalation and a few minor burns.”

            “And how did that show you that God was working in your life?”

            “The whole time I was on the roof, I prayed to God to get me down safely. And afterwards, I was able to watch Him provide for my family.

            “We had absolutely nothing after the fire. But the community came together with food, clothing, and other donations. They offered a place for us to stay and made sure all our needs were taken care of. God provided during that time of need.

            “Also after the fire, I realized that God had saved me. I could have died, but I didn’t. So even though I don’t know what God has planned for my life, I know He has a purpose for me.”

            “It must be something huge because He saved you twice.” Sabrina started walking back towards the hut.

            “What do you mean?”

            “He saved you in the storm.”

            “He also saved you,” I pointed out. “In the storm.”

            “Yeah, I guess you are right!”

            “But God really saved me three times. He forgave my sins by sending Jesus to die for me. Now, I will get to spend eternity in Heaven.”

            “So He must have some really big plans for you.”

            “Yeah, I know He does.”

            “I do believe what you are saying, about God having plans for me, but I just do not see Him working in my life right now. I am not quite ready to give my life to Him.”

            “I will be praying for you,” I said as we approached the hut.

            “Thanks. Maybe someday I will be saved twice.”

            “How is Emily doing?” I asked Miranda as Sabrina and I brought back the food that we had gathered.

            “Shh,” Miranda whispered. “She is in a lot of pain and is now asleep.”

            “Are you sure she is asleep?” Sabrina asked as the three of us headed outside.

            “What do you mean?” Miranda asked. “She isn’t dead!”

            “I didn’t mean that. I’m just saying that maybe she is unconscious.”

            “Oh, I already know that. She has been going in and out.”

            “We really need to be rescued soon,” I said quietly.

            “Remember the fire?” Sabrina said. “God led you off the roof. And now God will lead you off the island.”   

            “But what if it takes another ten years?” I protested.

            “We don’t know how long it will take. But in the meantime, God will provide us with everything we need.”

            “But we don’t have everything we need! We need a doctor!”

            “Tiffanie,” Miranda said gently. “God has given us Sabrina, who knew how to make a splint. God is providing.”

            “I’m sorry,” I said at last. “Every Christian has a bad moment where they get mad at God,” I said to Sabrina. I didn’t want to ruin the interest Sabrina had in Christianity.

            “Why don’t we go fishing?” Sabrina suggested to me. “It might take your mind off things.”

            I really didn’t want to go fishing. But I knew Sabrina was right. And maybe we could have another chance to talk.

            “All right,” I said.

            We grabbed these nets Sabrina had made and headed off to her fishing spot.

            “You know, I am not completely new to religion,” she said on the way.

            “What do you mean?” I asked. I thought she was clueless because of the questions she had been asking.

            “I did go to Sunday school for a very short time. I remember a few stories. I imagine everything you have been talking about is at a much higher level though.”

            “Yeah, I guess when you are younger they start small.”

            “I really didn’t like Sunday school though. You see, I had been going to school for two years when I got stranded here.”

            “I thought you were in fourth grade though.”

            We had reached the small pools of water and Sabrina put the nets into the pools.

            “I started school in third grade since I was so smart and the next year I went to the fourth grade. They were thinking about promoting me to fifth right before I got stranded. But even though I was ahead in my schooling, my mom thought I needed to have some interaction with people my own age. That is why she put me in Sunday school.”

            “So you didn’t get a lot from it?” I asked.

            We pulled the net out of the water with three squirming fish in it. Then, we put the other net in.

            “No, but I did pray shortly after coming here. I gave up when I didn’t get any answer.”

            Just then I heard an unusual noise above.

            “What is that?” Sabrina asked.

            I looked up and saw a helicopter!

            “A helicopter!” I exclaimed, and started waving my hands in the air.

            Sabrina dropped her net and started doing the same thing.

            We waved and waved until the helicopter disappeared.

            I guess they didn’t see up,” I said sadly as I picked up the net.

            “Well, they must be looking,” Sabrina said. “I have probably only seen two helicopters the entire time I have been here. We should probably go back and work on the fire.”

            “What about the fish?”

            “That can wait,” she said as she grabbed the three fish we had already caught. “This is more important.”

            We rushed back to camp.

            “Did you see the helicopter?” Miranda asked excitedly as we returned to camp.

            “We did. Too bad it didn’t see us. That is why we are going to start a fire.”

            “Maybe they will see us with that!” Miranda said excitedly.

            And with that, we all got to work building the fire, knowing that God was listening to our prayers.

 

Chapter 11

 

            “What are your plans after we get rescued?” Miranda asked me that night.

            We were all sitting around the fire, except for Emily, who was sleeping inside.

            “I don’t even know,” I said honestly.

            “Haven’t you ever thought about it?” Tiffanie asked.

            “Of course I have. But I don’t even know what kind of world I will be returning to. I have been gone for ten years. I don’t even know where my life will be. I have no family. I haven’t been to school in years. Where would I even begin?”

            “I guess I never even thought of that,” Tiffanie replied.

            “You guys are lucky. If we are rescued soon, you will just have missed out on your regular life for about a week.”

            “Are you scared to go back?” Miranda asked.

            I hadn’t really thought about that before. I had given up any hope of being rescued until the girls showed up. And I guess I had been caught up in their excitement of being rescued that I had not given much thought to it until tonight.

            “I guess maybe I am,” I said honestly. “Everything is just so uncertain for me.”

            We were silent as we watched the fire.

            “Have you ever thought that life would be easier for you if you just stayed on the island?” Tiffanie asked seriously.

            “Why would you say that?” I was shocked. Why would she ask something like that? She knew how much I wanted to be rescued.

            “I’m just saying that maybe life would be easier here for you then it will be after we are rescued.”

            “Look, it is getting late,” I said shortly. “Wake me when it is my turn to watch the fire.”

            I went into the hut and lay down on my bed. I tried falling asleep but Emily was in so much pain that she was not very quiet. And so that just gave me more time to think about the whole conversation from that night.

            I knew deep down though, Tiffanie had made a valid point. I just didn’t like it. I had admitted though that I was scared to be rescued, because I didn’t know what civilization was like anymore. And life was more familiar for me on the island.

            At one point, I heard one of the girls come in and go to bed. Later, I heard the other come in and  the other go out to watch the fire. I kept waiting for my turn but it never came. After what like an eternity, I finally fell asleep.

            I was only asleep for an hour or two before Arthur started chirping.

            “Arthur want breakfast!”

            I looked over at Emily and saw that she was asleep at last. Tiffanie was also asleep on her bed.

            I beckoned to Arthur to quietly leave the hut.

            Outside, I saw that Miranda had fallen asleep next to the dying fire.

            I walked into the jungle so that I would not wake any of the girls.

            “Arthur want breakfast!” he chirped again.

            “All right,” I said with a tired laugh and climbed up the tree to get some more bananas.

            Once Arthur was fed, I started walking through the jungle.

            This place had so much to offer. I would really be sad to leave this place. The island has never failed me. It has offered me food, clothing, shelter, and companionship. Or, correction, God has provided me all the things I have ever needed on this island.

            In fact, I didn’t care if I was ever rescued! God was working in my life! He had always provided for me! I needed God in my life everyday! I wanted to serve God just because of all He has given me!

            I rushed back to camp so that I could tell Tiffanie and Miranda the great news!

 

Chapter 12

 

            I am so happy that you are now a Christian!” I said as we were sitting around the remains of the fire, making grass skirts.

            “I do feel like a different person,” Sabrina admitted.

            “Do you think you will be baptized after we are rescued?” Miranda asked.

            “Gosh, I guess I had temporarily forgotten that people would be looking for you guys. I was only thinking that if I had to live the rest of my life on the island, I would be ok because God would provide.”

            “I think you will be a great inspiration to people once we get off this island,” Miranda replied. “You will be able to talk about God working in your life.”

            “You guys will be able to as well,” Sabrina pointed out. “No offense, but you didn’t survive the storm because you were well prepared and strong swimmers.”

            “You’re right. We were saved by God,” I said.

            Just then Emily let out a groan.

            “I just hope that God saves us again,” Miranda said worriedly.

            “Let’s pray,” Sabrina suggested.

            “Do you want to pray?” I asked her.

            “Are you sure I can do a good job?” she asked worriedly.

            “God will listen to anyone’s prayers. Now, go ahead.”

            “Lord, I just want to start by giving thanks that I am a Christian. I thank You for providing me with everything I could ever need while on this island. I also give thanks for the friends that came here to lead to me to You. We just all pray for a rescue soon, because Emily really needs help. Amen.”

            “Amen.”

            “Everything is in God’s hands now,” Sabrina said.

            “You’re right.”

            We continued working quietly on our skirts. Sabrina finished hers first, but she has had a lot of practice. But Miranda and I finished ours not long after that.

            “Put them on,” she said eagerly.

            We reluctantly put the skirts on over our shorts. I couldn’t see how Sabrina could stand wearing grass skirts. They were itching and very uncomfortable.

            “Now, we are triplets!” she said excitedly.

            “Yeah, I guess we are,” Miranda said. She did not sound too enthused.

            “I’m going to go inside and get lunch ready. You guys can stay out here and rest a bit.” She went inside the hut.

            “I am so taking this off,” Miranda said.

            “Leave it on.”

            “Why?”

            “Sabrina will be hurt. We looked forward to learning how to make them and she likes how we are triplets. Besides, she has to wear the skirts constantly. We can wear them one day.”

            “Fine. But I am not wearing this to bed.”

            “Just for the day.”

            Sabrina came outside carrying coconuts and pineapples and what looked like mangos.

            “What is that noise?” she asked.

            We all looked up eagerly at the sky.

            “A helicopter!” I exclaimed. I jumped up and down and started waving my hands in the air. “Come on, guys!”

            All three of us started running around, waving our hands. We waved until we couldn’t see it any more.

            “It’s gone,” Miranda said at last. She sat down and looked at the ground. I could tell that she was trying not to cry.

            Sabrina also looked disappointed. She had never been so close to being rescued before but now she had to keep waiting. She sat down next to Miranda and put her hand on her.

            After awhile, we remembered that we were hungry, and had a silent lunch of the food Sabrina had brought out.

 

Chapter 13

 

            “Someone should check on Emily,” Tiffanie said after lunch.

            “I’ll do it,” Miranda said.

            “I will go with you,” Tiffanie said.

            I was left alone. I picked up the remains of our lunch and decided I was just going to throw it in the jungle. But that is when I saw the boat! And the people onboard were waving!

            “Are you all right?” a person yelled.

            “Yes!” I called back excitedly. This could be the answers to our prayers.

            “What are you yelling about?” Tiffanie asked as she came out of the hut. “You are going to wake Emily.”

            When she saw the boat, she quickly changed her tone.

            “Miranda! Emily! We are saved! There is a boat!”

            Miranda rushed out of the hut.

            “We are saved!” she exclaimed. She hugged me and then Tiffanie.

            I couldn’t believe it. I had waited ten years for this. I was about to go back to civilization! My heart was racing.

            The boat pulled up on the beach. Two people onboard jumped off while the driver stayed on.

            “Are you girls all right?” the female asked. “I’m so glad all of you are alive!”

            “The three of us are fine,” Tiffanie said. “But Emily has a broken leg.”

            The two people looked at our legs.

            “Are you sure?” the male asked.

            “Emily is inside,” Tiffanie told them.

            “I thought there were only three of you missing.”

            “Sabrina has been missing for over ten years,” Tiffanie said.

            “Who is Sabrina?”

            “I am,” I said shyly.

            “Well, we are going to get all of you back to civilization. Is Emily inside?”

            “Yes, but be careful. She has a broken leg.”

            “We will. Go ahead and collect anything you want to take back with you and then get on the boat.” 

            “Is there anything you want to take back with you?” Miranda asked me.

            “None of my possessions are really mine. They belong to the island.”

            “Then let’s go!”

            We got on the boat and then the two people came out, supporting Emily between them. They were pretty much carrying her though because she couldn’t walk.

            “We are being rescued,” she said weakly.

            “Are you ready to go?” the male asked.

            “Yes!” Tiffanie and Miranda said excitedly.

            The driver of the boat put it in gear and we started heading away from the island and towards civilization.

            I looked behind me as the island got smaller and smaller. Tears started forming in my eyes as I realized that the life was once familiar to me was over. I would never see this island again. I was going to civilization, to uncertainty. And that’s what I wanted right?

            “So how did you end up on the island?” the female rescuer asked me as she came to sit beside me.

            “There was a storm and the boat started to sink. I drifted in a life ring until I reached the island.”

            “Was anyone with you?”

            “My parents but I don’t know what happened to them. They never reached the island.”

            “How old were you when you arrived?”

            “Seven.”

            “Do you know how many years you have been on the island?”

            “The girls told me that I have been on the island for ten years.”

            “How in the world did you survive?” she asked incredulously.

            “God saved me. He provided me with everything I ever needed.”

            “That is just incredible that you could survive ten years on a deserted island by yourself. You were just a kid when you arrived.”

            “What is going to happen to us?” I asked.

            “Right now, Phil is letting the authorities know that we found you. They are going to let your parents know that you are safe.”

            I knew she was talking about the other girls. No one knew that I was alive. There was no one that was looking for me.

            “What is going to happen to me?” I asked.

            “I don’t know.”

            I spent the rest of the trip praying quietly for the new life I was about to begin.

 

Chapter 14

 

            As we approached the shore, I could see the vehicles and people surrounding the dock.

            “What’s going on?” Sabrina asked nervously.

            “Your disappearance has been all over the news,” Phil said. “Well, maybe not yours, Sabrina but the other girls.”

            We pulled up to the dock and the first people to meet us were the paramedics. They came on board and loaded Emily on a stretcher before putting her in the back of an ambulance and driving away.

            “Let me through!” someone shouted after the ambulance was gone.

            “Mom!” Miranda said excitedly. She got off the boat and started running towards the sound of her voice.

            I also got off the boat and held out my hand to Sabrina to help her off. She looked like she really wanted to stay though.

            “What now?” she asked after she was on the dock.

            I wasn’t paying much attention to her. I was looking around the dock, trying to find my family.

            “Tiffanie, are you all right?” someone asked.

            I turned around and saw a reporter.

            “Tiffanie, what is wrong with Emily?” another reporter asked.

            “How did you survive?”

            “Who is this with you?”

            “Girls,” the woman said as she got off the boat, “you need to come with us.”

            “Where are we going?” Sabrina asked nervously.

            “You need to get checked out by a doctor,” Phil said. “Tiffanie, your family is going to meet us there.”

            I looked over at Sabrina, who looked like she was about to pass out.

            “It will be all right,” I whispered. “Just pray. God will get you through this.”

            Sabrina nodded but didn’t say anything.

            Phil and the woman led us through the crowd of reporters and ordinary people, stopping only to talk to Miranda’s parents to let them know to take Miranda to the hospital. Then, we got into the car and left the dock.

            On the way there, I expected Sabrina to be curious of her surroundings and full of questions. But she must have been really scared because she kept her eyes shut the entire time. I think she must have been praying.

            We arrived at the hospital and some nurses were upon us, taking Sabrina and me into different rooms.

            “Can’t I stay with Sabrina?” I asked the nurse. “She is scared and doesn’t know what is happening.”

            “A doctor will be with her shortly,” the nurse said. “She will be all right. Now, go on in.”

            The nurse pushed open the door and that is when I saw my mom!

            “Mom!” I rushed into her arms and didn’t let go. Both of were crying but we didn’t care if anyone was watching.

            “How are you doing?” she asked after awhile.

            I let go and sat down so I could look at my mom. She looked like she had lost weight.

            “God provided for us,” I said.

            “I can see that,” she said with a look at my skirt.

            “Sabrina taught us how to make these.”

            “Who is Sabrina?”

            “She was a girl that we met on the island. She was shipwrecked for ten years. We were able to bring her to God while we were there.”

            “That’s great, honey. I can’t wait to hear your stories.”

            The doctor walked in then and we ended our conversation.

            “Well, Tiffanie,” he said, “it sounds like you had quite the adventure. How are you feeling?”

            “I feel just fine. I really don’t need to be here.”

            “And I will make that decision for you,” the doctor said with a laugh.

            So I reluctantly got on the table so he could decide if I was healthy.

 

Chapter 15

 

            The nurse led me to an exam room and handed me something.

            “Put this on,” she said.

            I looked down at what I was supposed to be changing into. It looked like pajamas.

            “Once you change, have a seat on the table and wait for the doctor.”

            I thought about asking the nurse to stay with me, but then I remembered that I was probably seventeen, and probably old enough to wait for the doctor alone.

            I pulled the pajamas on over my grass skirt. My skirt was so long that you could see it underneath my pajamas.

            I hopped on the table and waited nervously for the doctor. I didn’t feel sick. I had lived on the island for ten years and the whole time I felt just fine. Was there something they knew and weren’t telling me?

            I felt like running away, but I didn’t even know where to go. And then the doctor came in, stopping me from going anywhere.

            “Hi, how are you doing?” he asked as he washed his hands.

            “Fine,” I squeaked.

            “I’m Dr. Rodriquez,” he said as he held out his hand.

            “Sabrina,” I said quietly as I shook his hand.

            “So, I heard that you were on that island for ten years. How in the world did you survive?”

            He didn’t seem interested in giving me shots so I decided to go with his questions.

            “God provided me with everything I ever needed. I used to watch Gilligan’s Island so I knew what to do.”

            “While you were on the island, did you ever get sick or seriously injured?”

            “Just an occasional scratch. So why do I even need to be here?”

            “You have been gone for ten years,” Dr. Rodriquez said. “I just want to make sure that you are healthy, all right?”

            It wasn’t all right but I nodded anyway.

            “Now, I am just going to listen to your heart,” he said as he put his stethoscope to my chest. “Just relax and take deep breaths.”

            I tried doing what he said but I just couldn’t relax. I had no idea what was about to happen to me.

            “Now, I am just going to take your blood pressure,” he said as he wrapped the cuff around my arm.

            He was treating me like a little kid. I skipped grades for goodness sakes! I may be scared that there is something seriously wrong, but I am not going to be treated like I am two.

            “You know, I have been to the doctor before,” I told Dr. Rodriquez. “I was seven when I was shipwrecked, so unless any of this stuff has been invented in the last ten years, I do know what it is.”

            “Sorry.”

            “It’s all right.”

            Dr. Rodriquez got out the little hammer to tap my knees. He saw my grass skirt and stared at it for a second.

            “What is going to happen to me?” I asked to get him away from my skirt.

            “I don’t know,” he said as he tapped my knees.

            “Do you know what is going to happen when you get done?” I asked.

            “I think I am supposed to turn you over to Phil and Jamie,” he said as he shined a light in my ears and eyes. “They are trying to get some things figured out right now.”

            We were silent as Dr. Rodriquez continued.

            “I’m going to need to draw some blood,” he said at last.

            “No way! My blood belongs in my body!”

            Just then there was a knock on the door and Dr. Rodriquez went to answer it. Phil, and I am guessing the woman’s name was Jamie, were outside.

            “How is it going?” Phil asked.

            “Dr. Rodriquez is done!” I said and jumped off the table.

            “I just need to draw her blood and then we are done,” Dr. Rodriquez said firmly.

            “Sabrina, it isn’t going to hurt,” Jamie said as she blocked the doorway. “Now, get back on the table.” She put her hand on me and pushed me back on the table. She didn’t let go of me until Dr. Rodriquez was done.

            “Now what?” I asked.

            “Well, we are still trying to locate your family so you are going to spend the night here until we figure out where you should go.”

            “Stay in the hospital?! But I am not sick!”

            One look from Jamie quickly shut me up though. And the next thing I know, I am in a hospital bed.

 

Chapter 16

 

            “How are you doing?” I asked as I stepped into Sabrina’s half of the hospital room that night.

            She glared at me from her bed, where she was eating her dinner.

            “How come they aren’t making you stay?” she asked.

            “I have a place to go,” I said as I sat down in the chair next to her bed.

            “Why couldn’t I have stayed with you then? They are treating me like I am sick and I’m not. I am just fine.”

            “Just give them time to find you a place to stay.”

            “What if I am not cut out for civilization?” she asked as tears started falling from her eyes.

            I got up and sat down next to her on her bed. “And you determined that after a couple of hours?” I asked.

            “Life was simpler on the island. I lived by my own rules. Here, I am required to wear these stupid pajamas and eat this nasty food.

            I noticed that she still had her grass skirt on under her gown though.

            “Sabrina, it is going to take time. Like we told you on the island, we needed time to adjust to your life. And now you are going to have to adjust to this new life. It is going to take more than a couple of hours or days. And I am sure that you will actually enjoy civilization after you get out of the hospital.”

            “Maybe you are right,” she said at last.

            “You just need to pray. You are in an amazing position to share your faith with others.”

            “We all are. You know, I think you were brought to the island so that you could bring me to God.”

            “You could be right. That is one thing we accomplished while we were on the island.”

            “So how is Emily doing? I know she is on the other side of the room, but that is all I know.”

            “She just got out of surgery. She is asleep right now but her parents are with her.”

            “And how about Miranda?”

            “She is at home with her parents.”

            “Why aren’t you home?”

            “Because I knew that you would be all alone. I figured you were probably scared so I told my mom that I was going to come see you for a little while. She was all right with it because I told her that without you, we would probably be dead.”

            “Oh, I think you would have figured out what to do without me,” she said modestly.

            “You were a huge help though.”

            “So what’s next for you?” she asked.

            “Well, there are some interviews tomorrow, if you want to do that. Other than that, it will be just returning to my old life. Only now, I have some amazing stories to tell about God’s miracles.”

            “Maybe I can be baptized soon,” Sabrina said. “Maybe that will be next on my list.”

            “Yeah, let me know when.”

            “If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be on speaking terms with God. Of course I will invite you.”

            “Listen, I need to be going. I will be back tomorrow. Just keep praying.”

            “Thanks for coming. I really appreciate it.”

            “Have a good night.”

            “You too.”

 

Chapter 17

 

            I wasn’t feeling that great. The doctors already knew. They said I wasn’t used to eating certain foods after being on the island for so long. That’s why at breakfast I begged them for bananas and coconut milk. I got toast and applesauce instead.

            Tiffanie came and visited me a short while after that.

            “How are you doing?” she asked as she sat down.

            “Not the greatest,” I said glumly.

            “I heard you aren’t feeling well. It will eventually pass.”

            “Not soon enough.”

            “I know what will make you feel better.”

            “What?”

            “One sec. I will be right back.”

            Tiffanie left my side of the room. I could hear her talking but I didn’t know with who or where.

            A minute later, she returned, followed by a young guy. I thought he must be a doctor, even though he wasn’t dressed like one.

            “Look, I know I am not feeling the greatest right now but it is just the food. I do not need to see a doctor.”

            “Kyle is not a doctor, Sabrina, he is a minister.”

            “Oh, sorry,” I mumbled. I was kind of embarrassed.

            “It’s all right,” Kyle said kindly. “I can only imagine that this must be a difficult time for you.”

            “You are probably not thinking I am a very good Christian right now.” I tried sitting up in bed.

            “The important thing is that you want to live your life for God,” he said as he pushed a button on the side of the bed so that I could sit up.

            “It might be a difficult time for me,” I said quietly. “I don’t know what this new life will bring.”

            “God will be there through it all, the good and bad.”

            “About the only positive in my life right now,” I said as some people I didn’t recognize came to my half of the room.

            Great, more doctors to annoy me.

            “Could we speak to Sabrina for awhile?” one of them asked.

            “Of course,” Kyle said kindly. “We will go speak to Emily for awhile. Just let me know if you want to talk again, Sabrina.”

            Once Kyle and Tiffanie were gone, two females sat down in the vacated chairs and another female and male stood along the wall.

            I was getting the feeling that these people weren’t doctors either because just then a teenage girl came in and stood next to the couple. She looked like their daughter.

            “I’m Ms. Daniels,” one of the women sitting said. “And this is Mrs. Thompson. We’ve come to tell you that you have a home!”

            I looked at the family standing along the wall. They were smiling nervously at me. I didn’t smile back though. I knew that whoever these people were, they looked like they just wanted to provide a poor, unfortunate girl with a home.

            I really didn’t want a home. I had been on my own for ten years. Even though I wasn’t a legal adult, I had had to act like one for years. Why did I need to be restrained now? Why did I have to live by another person’s rules?

            Also, I already had a family. I had a mom and dad. These people here would never be my parents. That girl would never be my sister.

            “These people have agreed to let you live with them,” Mrs. Thompson said to ease the tension.

            “Can I talk to you privately for a minute?” I asked the women.

            “Of course.”

            “We will be in the hall,” the dad said.

            “So what’s up?” Mrs. Daniels asked.

            “I am almost eighteen years old! Why do I need a family?”

            “Now, Sabrina, I know that you have been away from civilization for a long time. I realize that a lot of things are new and scary, but you just need to trust the Morgans. They are a great family.”

            “But I have lived alone for years. I am more of an adult then some adults. I would like to see them survive on a deserted island.”

            “You are not an adult legally, Sabrina. So until you turn eighteen, you will live with the Morgans.”

            “You will be able to leave the hospital with them in a few hours.”

            “Joy,” I mumbled under my breath. But then I remembered that I am a Christian now, and I needed to appreciate what God was giving me.

            I couldn’t just walk out of this hospital alone. I didn’t have any money and any place to go. I guess the Morgans could help me get on my feet and then when I turned eighteen, I would be able to do whatever it is that God has planned for me.

 

           

           

           

 

 

 

           

           

           

 

 

            

© 2013 Kimberly Adams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on October 18, 2013
Last Updated on October 18, 2013
Tags: shipwrecked, God, storm, island, rescue

Author

Kimberly Adams
Kimberly Adams

About
My favorite thing to do is write. After I surrendered my life to Christ and became a Christian, I decided that I would write for God. I usually focus on depression in my writing as well because it is .. more..

Writing
Sheltered Sheltered

A Chapter by Kimberly Adams