Shipwrecked with God 2

Shipwrecked with God 2

A Story by Kimberly Adams
"

Sabrina has been rescued from the island but life with civilization isn't what she thought it would be. At least she has God on her side now.

"

Chapter 1

 

            “Where are you going?” Amanda asked me as I came through the kitchen and went to open the door.

            “Out,” I mumbled.

            “Out where?”

            I didn’t even know where I was going. I just wanted out of the house.

            “The park,” I finally said.

            “I will come with you,” Amanda said.

            “That’s ok. I know how to get to the park by myself.”

            “Well,” Amanda said, and I could tell that she was thinking, “just be back in time for your counseling appointment.”

            I rolled my eyes. I can’t believe that I have to go there again.

            “I will,” I said politely.

            I left the house before Amanda could say anything else, and headed towards the park.

            I had only been here a week and they were already driving me crazy. Life was suddenly a bunch of rules and restrictions, things I had never had to deal with before.

            See a little over a week ago, I was living on a deserted island. I had been living there for over ten years, ever since I was shipwrecked at seven years old.

            The only reason I was discovered is because three other girls had been shipwrecked for over a week and people were looking for them.

            I came back to a world that had done ten years of changing. I came back to a world where I had no money and no family.

            That’s where the Morgans come in. They ‘adopted’ me, so to say, and brought me home. Since I am seventeen years old though, they are just giving me a place to stay until I turn eighteen, which isn’t for another eight months. Amanda and Robert aren’t asking to be my mom and dad, but they sure act like they are. Even Daphne, their daughter, is pretending that we are sisters and best friends.

            What really annoys me, apart from all the rules, is that they feel the need to bring me up to speed with the rest of the world. I get lessons about everything from technology to health developments to current events. I mean, I can figure out things for myself, I am not stupid.        

            That’s why I just need some space. I want time to myself and get away from them.

            I arrived at the park and found an empty bench. I opened my Bible so that I could read from where I had left off earlier.

            While I was on the island, I had been brought to God and became a Christian because of Emily, Tiffanie, and Miranda, the three girls who had been shipwrecked. I was going to be baptized right after we were rescued, but I decided to postpone it while I dealt with this new world.

            In the meantime, I have started reading the Bible, which I really enjoy. It gives me hope when sometimes there is none.

            I had just started reading some Psalms when I heard someone say my name.

            “Sabrina?” someone said.

            I looked up in surprise and saw Tiffanie, Miranda, and Emily, who was on crutches.

            “What are you doing here?” Tiffanie asked.

            They came and sat down on the bench next to me.

            “I’m no longer shipwrecked,” I reminded them. “I do get to roam around a bit more. So what are you doing here?”

            “Well, since Emily is still in a cast, there aren’t a lot of things we can do. So we decided to hang around the park and get some sun.”

            “So how has life been since you’ve been rescued?” I asked.

            “It’s a lot of attention,” Emily replied. “But we are using what happened for God. We talk about how He saved us and provided for us on the island.”

            “Do you have to go through counseling?” I asked curiously.

            “No. We were told that if we needed someone to talk to, then we could get some help. Why are you asking?”

            “That’s not fair!” I protested. “We were all on the island. Why am I the only one that needs help?”

            “Well, Sabrina,” Emily said thoughtfully, “you have been through a lot in the last few days. You have come back from a world full of freedom and no cares in the world and then you come to a world full of limitations and restrictions and stress. Anyone would need help processing all this.”

            “But you were in my world for a few days,” I pointed out. “Surely you need help processing everything.”

            “Sabrina, going to the island was like going on a vacation. It was only a few days in an unfamiliar location.”

            “But the trip to the island wasn’t exactly a vacation. And the accommodations were not what you would expect from a vacation.”

            “That’s why if we need help then we just need to say so.”

            I stood up.

            “Where are you going?”

            “Counseling,” I said with another roll of my eyes.

 

Chapter 2

 

            “I think I am feeling ok,” I told Amanda on the trip to the psychiatrist. “I really don’t need to go.”

            “Sabrina, Dr. Bailey isn’t going to hurt you.”

            “I know that,” I said irritably. “I have been here before.”

            “We’re just trying to help you through this, Sabrina.”

            “Why don’t the other girls have to get counseling?”

            “That’s not my decision,” Amanda said firmly.

            I was silent the rest of the trip. I couldn’t wait to turn eighteen and make decisions for myself.

            Once we arrived, Amanda led me inside. We sat down in the waiting room until it was my turn.

            “Sabrina,” Dr. Bailey said as he came out of his office.

            I reluctantly stood up and followed him back into his office.

            “How are you doing, Sabrina?” he asked as I sat down in one of his chairs.

            “Fine.” I waited for the next question.

            “Are you sure?” he asked thoughtfully.

            “That’s what I just told you,” I said irritably.

            When was this hour going to be up?

            “You don’t sound fine.”

            “Whatever Amanda told you isn’t true!”

            “Amanda has not told me anything. I am just saying that you didn’t seem fine by the way you said it. And most people say they are fine when asked even when they really aren’t.”

            “Have you ever thought that maybe I am not like everyone else? I have been away from civilization for ten years. I am not your average person.”

            “I know that.”

            “So then with that settled, you and I both know that there is really no reason for me to be here.”

            “Why don’t we let me make that decision?”

            I sat back in my chair, wishing this would just get over.

            “So what is one thing you have learned this week?”

            I thought. So far my life had been nothing but lessons and introductions.

            “I already get enough of that boring stuff at home. I would rather not do it here as well.” 

            “Ok, so what would you like to talk about?”

            Why were we paying this guy if he wasn’t going to do any work?

            But what did I really want to talk about? I really wanted to talk about the island, how there was a waterfall where I went swimming everyday. I wanted to talk about my pet parrot Arthur. I wanted to talk about my grass skirt and hut. But I knew that if I brought up those things, I would never get out of counseling. Dr. Bailey would think that I was not transitioning to this new world.

 

Chapter 3

 

            A couple of nights later I was sitting on the couch in the Morgan’s living room, staring into space. Counseling that day had been a complete waste of time. Instead of making me feel better, it made me feel worse. I felt sad and hopeless and I didn’t even know why.

            “Why are you in here all alone?” Daphne asked as she entered the room and sat down beside me.

            Daphne had just gotten off work and I could tell that she was going to grill me about my day, just like she does every night.

            “How was counseling?” she asked.

            Seriously?

            “It was fine,” I lied. I just wanted her to leave me alone.

            “Are you ok? It seems like something is bothering you.”

            “If something is bothering me, which there isn’t, I would have told Dr. Bailey.”

            “Sorry,” she said quickly. I don’t think she wanted to upset me, even though I was clearly not being nice to her.

            Daphne went silent and I continued to stare into space. I really just felt like crying and I didn’t even know why. I wish Daphne would just leave.

            “Why so quiet, girls?” Amanda asked as she entered the room.

            “It’s been a long day, Mom,” Daphne answered.

            “Why don’t you go get ready for bed and I will come talk to you in a little while?” Amanda suggested.

            “Ok. Good night, Sabrina.”

            “Good night.”

            Once Daphne’s door had shut, Amanda turned to me.

            “What’s going on?” she asked kindly.

            “What do you mean?”

            “The last couple of days you have done absolutely nothing. All you do is sit around and stare into space.”     

            “I’m just doing some thinking,” I lied.

            “About what?” I could tell Amanda didn’t believe me.

            I stared at her as I tried to think of an answer that didn’t deal with the island.

            “Sabrina, we are trying to help you here. If something is wrong, you need to tell us. You also need to quit thinking about the island. You are here now and you need to start adjusting.”

            “Don’t I get time to adjust?” I asked angrily. “I have been off the island for a couple of weeks and I am supposed to have already adjusted to this life?”
            “Of course not,” she said calmly. “We just want you to make an effort. But you haven’t done that at all.”

            “Well, I’m going to try out this new life!” I said angrily as I stood up. “I’m going to my new room to sleep in my new bed! Don’t bother to wake me up in the morning because I don’t want to have to deal with you!”

            I slammed the door to my bedroom and flopped down on my bed. I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I had never felt all these feelings on the island. Now, my life was sadness and anger. I felt more alone even though I was surrounded by people.

            Even though I was still dressed, I crawled under the covers. I wanted to fall asleep and never wake up. That way I would never have to deal with anything from my new life ever again.

            “Lord,” I prayed before I feel asleep, “help me.”

 

Chapter 4

 

            I woke up to the sound of knocking on my door.

            “Go away!” I yelled.

            “Sabrina,” a familiar voice called, “it’s me. Can I come in?”

            Before I could answer, the door opened and Tiffanie came in.

            “Why are you here?” I asked. I wasn’t exactly angry but I also didn’t want to get out of bed. Staying in bed was safer than facing the world.

            “We are going to church,” Tiffanie replied.

            “But Amanda said that I couldn’t go to church.”

            I had asked to go right after I came to live here since I recently became a Christian but Amanda said that they didn’t go. At the time, I thought maybe I could walk to church but I guess I haven’t gotten around to it.

            “Amanda actually called me last night and asked me to take you to church.”

            “Why?”

            “She said something about how you have been feeling down the last few days and she figured that going to church might cheer you up. You are still interested in going, aren’t you?”

            “I think so,” I said as I got out of bed and found some clothes to wear. “I just don’t know where I am at with my faith anymore.”

            “Pray,” Tiffanie said. “God will give you answers.”
            “Maybe I will get those answers at church,” I replied.

            A few minutes later, I was ready to go and we left to for church.

            Once we arrived, we went inside and were instantly surrounded.

            “How are you doing, Sabrina?” an older woman asked.

            “Nice to see you here, Sabrina,” an older guy said.

            “So how has God been working in your life since you have been rescued?” another person asked.

            “Excuse me!” Tiffanie said loudly. “But we need to sit down. Sabrina will talk to you at another time.”

            We pushed through the crowd of people and sat down next to Miranda and Emily.

            “How do all those people know my name?” I asked.

            “You are something of a celebrity,” Emily answered. “Your story is still all over the news. People are amazed by your survival.”

            “Plus, we spoke last week at church,” Miranda said. “We told everyone a lot of details that haven’t been mentioned on the news.”

            It was difficult enough getting through each day when I don’t recognize the world I am living in. Hopefully this new celebrity thing wasn’t about to complicate life.

            Before I could say another word to the girls, the band came up front and welcomed us to worship. Lyrics appeared on the screen and everyone started singing.

            “I’m coming back to the heart of worship,” I sang along.

            The song was unfamiliar to me but everyone else must recognize the song because they were singing loudly. Maybe someday I would know the song like they do.

            That was one thing I had missed on the island. If I wanted music, I had to make my own. There was no listening to music.

            After a couple of songs, the pastor came forward.

            “Last week, Emily, Miranda, and Tiffanie shared with us their experience after being shipwrecked on the island and how God helped them through everything they faced. Today, we are going to expand on that and look at how God works, even when life is getting tough.

            “If we start with the Old Testament, we can see God providing. He worked wonders and miracles in Egypt, by bringing His people out. He also gave the Israelites food and water.

            “Psalm one hundred five verses one through five says, “Oh give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the people. Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; speak of all His wonders. Glory in His holy name; 
let the heart of those who seek the LORD be glad.  Seek the LORD and His strength; 
seek His face continually.  Remember His wonders which He has done, His marvels and the judgments uttered by His mouth.”

            “And in Psalm seventy seven verses eleven and twelve it says, “I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your wonders of old. I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds.”

            “Both these verses tell us to remember God’s provision in the past.

            “But what about today? Why should we acknowledge God’s power in the present? The Bible gives us several verses. Genesis eighteen verse fourteen says, “Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, about this time next year, and Sarah shall have a son." And Job forty two two says, “I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted." And finally 2nd Chronicles chapter twenty verses six and twelve says, "O LORD, God of our fathers, are You not God in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. In Your hand are power and might, so that none is able to withstand You." O our God, will you not execute judgment on them? For we are powerless against this great horde that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on You."

            “Finally, we need to trust God’s promises for the future. Only God knows what plans He has for us. Sometimes the future seems so unclear, but God will go there to help us through it all.

            “Second Corinthians chapter four verses sixteen through eighteen says, “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” And also 2nd Corinthians four verses eight and nine says, “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.”

            “God will never leave us nor forsake us,” the pastor ended. “Trust!”

            The band came back up but I didn’t pay any attention to the song. I was in deep thought.

            On the island, I was hesitant to give my life to God because I didn’t know what plans He had for me. I didn’t know why I was on the island. I finally decided to give my life to God because I realized that even though I didn’t know His plans, He had always provided.

            I guess God was still providing for me now, even though I had no idea what direction my life was going.

            “Trust,” I reminded myself.

 

Chapter 5

 

            On Monday, I had to see Dr. Bailey. I lied the entire time I was there. I told him how I was adjusting to my new life and I was very happy. I didn’t mention the island at all.

            Once I got home, I went to my room and stared at the wall for a long time until I eventually feel asleep. I didn’t wake up until there was a knock on my door.

            I grabbed my Bible and pulled it close to me, like I had been reading the whole afternoon.

            Daphne walked in and sat down at my desk.

            “How is it going?” she asked.

            “Fine.”

            “How was counseling?” she asked.

            “Enough of the small talk! What do you want?”

            “Well, I figured out that you probably hadn’t eaten since Mom and Dad are at a friends’ house so I just wanted to see if you wanted to go out to eat.”

            Not really. Daphne and I had nothing in common and I really just wanted to be left alone.

            “I’m really not hungry,” I replied, which was the truth.

            “You need to eat, Sabrina. It isn’t good to skip meals.”
            “I meant that I had already made myself a sandwich before you got home,” I lied.

            I could tell that Daphne didn’t believe me.

            “How about you come join me in the kitchen while I make myself a grilled cheese sandwich?”

            “Why? Did Amanda tell you to hang out with me?” I really didn’t care if I was being rude.

            “No, I just think you need a friend. You are always by yourself. You don’t look happy.”

            “I told you that I am fine!” I said firmly.

            “You know, Sabrina, my mom and dad decided to be nice and take you in. I know that you don’t want to be here and that you are going to run out the second you turn eighteen, but you could at least show some respect.”

            “And would you care to explain how I am being disrespectful, except for now?” Daphne was really making me angry.

            “You spend all day alone, staring at the walls or sleeping. About the only time we see you is when you go to counseling.”

            I figured Amanda must be saying that about me because Daphne is always at work when I go to counseling.

            “I’m sorry that I am not adjusting to your life as quickly as you want! I would like to see you last one day on the island!”

            “Whatever, Sabrina! If you don’t want to adjust to this life then I don’t want anything to do with you. Enjoy the rest of your time here by yourself.”

            Daphne left the room and I decided to go back to bed.

            Before I fell asleep, I knew I needed to pray. I was not feeling as close to God as I was on the island. But that’s not the only thing I wanted to pray for. But I couldn’t pray for that, because than I definitely wouldn’t be moving on.

            “Lord,” I finally said, “bring me close to You. Help me have the same relationship with You that I had before I left the island. Amen.”

            I feel asleep thinking about swimming in the waterfall on the island.

 

 

Chapter 6

 

            That night I had another dream about the island. In my dream, my friends had brought me back to the island, with the intention of checking on me every once in awhile.

            The dream had been so real that I woke up crying. And by the time I was awaken that morning, I knew that this had been a vision from God, just like some of the dreams that people in the Bible had.          

            “Sabrina, your friends are here,” Amanda said to me.

            I didn’t really feel like getting out of bed. I wanted more time to think about the dream and what I should do to convince my friends that I needed to leave civilization.

            Before I could tell Amanda to let them know I was still in bed, Tiffanie, Emily and Miranda walked in. Emily no longer had a cast and was really enjoying her new freedom.

            “Time to get up, we have things to do today,” Tiffanie said bossily.

            “Where are we going?” I asked hesitantly.

            “The beach. Now get up!”

            “I don’t know.” I was hesitant about being so close to the ocean but not being able to return to the island.

            “It’s as close as you will ever get to your old life,” Emily said.

            “But it is no where near the same thing,” I pointed out.
            “Sabrina, you can’t return to your old life,” Tiffanie said gently. “You need to get out and start trying this new life.”

            “I will try some other day.” I pulled the blankets over my head.

            Tiffanie pulled the blankets off of me and Emily dragged me out of bed. The next thing I know, I am handed a swimming suit and shoved into the bathroom.

            The suit was a plain pink two piece and it was actually kind of pretty. I pulled it on and then came out.

            “You were right,” Miranda said when they saw me. “She does look good in it.”

            “Let’s get this over with,” I grumbled.

            “Sabrina, a day at the beach is not something to get over with. It is something that is supposed to be fun and you wish that it could last forever.”

            “Then let’s get this party started,” I said with sarcasm.

            “That’s the spirit!”

            “Is the beach very far?” I asked as we left the house. I noticed that there was no car in front of the house.

            “Not very.”

            We walked in silence the couple of blocks until we reached the beach.

            The ocean was a bright blue color and there were lots of people surfing. The beach was crowded with people sunning themselves.

            “I’m not sure about this,” I said. My voice was wobbly and I was afraid that I might start crying.

            Miranda handed me a pair of sunglasses and I knew that they were to hide my tears, not protect my eyes. I pulled them on and let the tears fall.

            Tiffanie led the way through the crowd until she found a space on the beach big enough for all four of us. Then, she handed me a towel and we all spread out on the sand.

            “How are you doing?” Miranda asked me as she lay out in the sun.

            “I’m still not sure about this.”

            “Give it time.”

            “Can I ask you guys something?” I asked. I was remembering my dream again.

            “Sure.”

            “What would you guys say if I said I wanted to go back to the island?”

            “Why would you want to go back? You have everything you could ever need now.”

            “I had everything I needed on the island too. Remember, God provided.”

            “So why do you want to go back?”

            “What would you say if I told you that God wanted me to go back?”
            “Are you sure, Sabrina? I mean, I thought the reason we were brought to the island was so that we could bring you to God and then you could be rescued.”

            “I think you are right about that. But I also think He wants me to go back. And I was wondering if you could take me there?”
            Tiffanie laughed.  “And how exactly are we supposed to do that, Sabrina? My parents’ boat got wrecked in the storm that left us shipwrecked.”

            “Surely you must know someone else that has a boat?”
            “Sabrina, after the accident we had, I doubt anyone is going to let us borrow their boat to go sailing for the afternoon. And no one is going to loan us a boat to abandon you on the island. There has got to be laws against that.”   

            “But it is my choice!”

            “Still, we don’t even know where the island is.”

            “Well, I am going to find out where it is,” I said stubbornly.

            “And you need to find someone to drop you off because we’re not doing it.”

            I let the subject drop, mostly because I knew that even if my dream had come from God, then there was no way that I could get back to the island. It didn’t stop my wishing though.

 

Chapter 7

 

            The summer continued. I would spend most of my day lying around, wishing I could be back on the island. The only time I actually did anything was when Amanda drug me to see Dr. Bailey or my friends demanded that I get out of the house.

            I met these times with resistance, no exception.

            “It’s time to go, Sabrina,” Amanda said one morning, shortly after she had made sure that I had gotten up.

            “I just saw Dr. Bailey,” I protested. “Remember, we got that medicine?”

            Dr. Bailey told me he was going to have me take some medicine that would make me feel better. But I’m not stupid. I know what antidepressants are.

            “We’re going school shopping, dear. Now, where did Daphne go?”

            “School shopping? Why?”

            “Because school starts in a week and you and Daphne need school supplies.”

            I actually hadn’t given a lot of thought to school since I had been rescued. I had been out of school for ten years. There was no way that I could just join students my age in twelfth grade. I was too far behind. And I most definitely am not going back to fourth grade.

            “I’m not ready to go back to school,” I told Amanda.

            “Dr. Bailey thinks it will be good for you.”

            “Don’t you think I can make that decision better than him? You know, I can drop out of school. I am old enough.”

            “You will like school, Sabrina.”

            “I seriously doubt it. And besides, what grade am I supposed to be in?”

            “I have talked this over with Dr. Bailey and the school and we decided that it would be a good idea for you to be in high school. We think that you are smart enough that you will be able to handle it with a little help.”

            “But-“

            “Daphne, let’s go!” Amanda called, interrupting me.

            Daphne came into the room and we left.

            After a couple of minutes, we arrived at the store.

            I followed Daphne and her mom into the store and right to the aisles that contained school supplies.

            I remembered going school shopping with my mom, many years ago. The store didn’t look much different than this. It was kind of a special moment, a mother and daughter picking out school supplies together.

            “Are you all right, Sabrina?” Daphne asked.

            “Um, yeah,” I replied as I wiped away a tear. I hadn’t thought of my mother in a long time.

            “Well, let’s get started than!” Amanda said excitedly. “We have a lot to buy.”

            We walked up and down the aisles, picking out notebooks and folders and pencils and markers and so many other things.

            I knew I wasn’t going to enjoy school. I used to, but that was before I discovered a new way to living. And that way had a different way of learning. Because while I was on the island, I was learning. And I had fun doing it.

 

Chapter 8

 

            “Time to get up,” Amanda said a couple of days later as she entered the room.

            “It’s too early,” I complained.

            Amanda came and sat on my bed.

            “Sabrina, you need to get up. It is almost ten. You are sleeping way too late. And school is going to start soon. You need to get in the habit of waking up earlier.”

            “I will adjust another day,” I complain. I pulled my pillow over my head.

            “Sabrina, you have appointments today. You need to get up.” Amanda pulled the pillow away from me.

            “I just met with Dr. Bailey yesterday.”

            “You have a doctor appointment in an half an hour and a dentist appointment this afternoon.”

            “Why? I already met with a doctor right after I was rescued. I am healthy.”

            “It’s just a check up, Sabrina.”

            That’s how I found myself in the doctor’s waiting room a half an hour later. I was extremely irritated with Amanda, who was reading a magazine, trying to avoid my death glares.

            “Sabrina,” a nurse called.

            “Will you be all right by yourself?” Amanda asked.

            A couple of weeks ago, I would have given anything to have someone come with me right after I was rescued. Now, I wanted to get as far away from Amanda as possible. I think she felt the same way.

            “I’ll be fine,” I said as I stood up.

            “Remind your doctor that you are getting counseling.”

            “Right.” I left Amanda and went up to the nurse.

            “Hi, Sabrina. How is it going?”

            “Spectacular,” I said sarcastically as I followed the nurse back into the exam room.

            “Great! Just have a seat and the doctor will be in shortly.”

            I sat down in one of the chairs and looked around the room. It didn’t look any different than the exam rooms I visited when I was a kid.

            There were some brochures sitting right beside me so I picked up one and started to read.

Are You Feeling Sad? It Could Be Depression.

Talk to your doctor if you are experiencing more than one of these symptoms:

·         difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions

·         fatigue and decreased energy

·         feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness

·         feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism

·         insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping

·         irritability, restlessness

·         loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable

·         overeating or appetite loss

·         persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment

·         persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings

·         thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts

            I was feeling several of these symptoms. It definitely explained a lot of things. It also explained why Dr. Bailey put me on an antidepressant. Maybe he wasn’t crazy like I thought.

            Just than the doctor came in and I put the brochure down.

            “How’s it going?” he asked cheerfully.

            Well, now that I understood why I was so irritable, there was no sense trying to hide it.

            “I’m perfectly fine. I don’t need to be here.”

            “It’s just a quick check up,” he said as he gestured to the exam table.

            “Yeah, but I already saw a doctor when I was rescued. The only reason they put me in the hospital was because I didn’t have anywhere to go.”

            “I know that. But this is just so I can see how you are doing since then.”    

            “Why does everyone want to know how I am doing? I’m fine! I don’t need a counselor and I don’t need to see you!”

            I felt like crying but managed to blink back the tears that were threatening.

            “Are you finished?” he asked gently.

            I wasn’t but I knew that I was fighting a losing battle so I gave us and got on the table.

            “Great. Now, take a deep breath for me.”

           

Chapter 9

 

            After the doctor, who pronounced me physically healthy (he told me to continue seeing Dr. Bailey) it was off to the dentist after picking up Daphne, who also needed to see the dentist.

            “Don’t be scared,” Daphne told me as we were sitting in the waiting room. “They are just going to clean your teeth with this tool that kind of tickles. Everything will be just fine.”

            “I know, Daphne,” I said irritably.

            I had been to the dentist before, for goodness sakes!

            I grabbed a magazine so that Daphne would leave me alone. I opened it to a page that had a picture of a tropical getaway. The place looked absolutely beautiful. There was a hotel right next to the ocean. There was also a large pool that looked really inviting.

            I could only imagine what people would say if they could see my island. Sure, this resort looked gorgeous, but it wasn’t natural. My island had all that this resort had to offer and more. There was a waterfall/place to swim. There were native animals. It was perfect.

            I really missed the island. I missed the simplicity of my life that the island offered me. Even though most of my life consisted of survival techniques, I still liked it better than the hustle and bustle of civilization. There was no such thing as enjoyment when you were hurrying around.

            Tears formed in my eyes as I thought of the island. It was a gift from God that I had gotten to spend ten years living there. I can’t believe that I had ever wanted to leave.

            “Are you all right, Sabrina?” Daphne asked.

            “I’m fine,” I lied as my name was called.

            I went back and sat down in the chair.

            “How are you doing?” the woman asked.

            “Ok.”

            “Were you the girl that lived on the deserted island for ten years?”

            “Yes.” 

            How did she know?

            I thought you looked familiar. They are still showing your picture on the news.”

            Really? Why weren’t Amanda and Robert saying anything?

            It’s just amazing how you were able to survive.”

            How much did she know?

            “God provided,” I said.

            “That would be quite the movie someday. Have you had any offers?”

            “For what?”

            “For movies and books.”

            “No.”

            “I’m surprised. I thought the phone would be ringing off the hook.”

            I wondered if Amanda and Robert had anything to do with it. But since I am new to this world, wouldn’t know if their phone normally rang as much as it did. I didn’t know what was normal for anything.

            “Well, I guess I had better get to work.”

            She put a paper towel around my neck and then started cleaning my teeth with that little spinning tool. I had forgotten that it ticked and that the stuff they used tasted terrible.

            “Why do your teeth look so good?” she asked at one point after she rinsed my mouth out.

            “What do you mean?”

            “You didn’t have access to a toothbrush, toothpaste, or a dentist on the island, did you?”

            “No, but there was plenty of sand.”

            “You used sand to clean your teeth? That sounds disgusting.”

            “God provided. I had to use what He gave me.”

            “You really need to write a survival guide. People could learn a lot from you.”

            “So I have heard.”

           

Chapter 10

 

            “Have a nice day, girls,” Amanda said as she dropped us off in front of the high school.

            I didn’t say anything as I got out and followed Daphne inside. I didn’t want to appear to be clingy though so when Daphne went one way, I went the other.

            I can do this. I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. God helped me for ten years on the island and He will help me now.

            I looked around the hall and saw students opening their lockers and putting away their things.

            How was I supposed to know which locker was mine? I tried looking for a friendly face but everyone was either busy or averting their eyes.

            Finally, I saw someone look at a paper and then walk up to a locker. Maybe my schedule held the answer!

            Sure enough, my locker number was written at the top. I looked up at the numbers on the lockers and started looking for mine.

            Once I found it, I looked at my schedule and found the locker combination.

            “How’s it going, Sabrina?” a loud voice asked behind me.

            Great, another person that recognizes me.

            I whirled around and saw Miranda, Emily, and Tiffanie.

            “Boy, am I glad to see you,” I replied as they grabbed me in a hug.

            “We’ve been looking but we couldn’t find you. Why in the world are you in the freshmen section of lockers?”

            “How should I know? This is the locker they gave me.”

            “What class do you have first?”

            “English,” I answered.

            Tiffanie grabbed my schedule and looked at it. “I think you must have been put in a freshmen block of classes,” she said.

            “Why do you say that?” Emily asked.

            “Well, it would make sense,” Miranda said logically. “She hasn’t been to school for ten years.”

            “So you aren’t going to be in any of my classes?” I asked nervously. I had kind of gotten my hopes up that there would be a familiar face in my classes.

            “We are seniors this year, Sabrina. Sorry. It looks like we will only be in choir together.”

            It really didn’t seem fair. I would have graduated a long time ago if I hadn’t been shipwrecked. And now because of it, I was forced to be in school even longer.

            “We should probably get to class,” Tiffanie said with a glance at the clock.

            “Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?”

            “Right through that door,” Emily replied.

            I grabbed a notebook and pencil before slamming my locker door.

            “See you later,” Emily said.

            “Good luck,” Tiffanie replied.

            I walked into the classroom and saw that most of the desks were filled.

            “Sit anywhere you like,” an older woman said.

            The desks were set up in groups of four and every group had at least one person in it already. I didn’t know who was waiting for their friends.

            “It is all right if I sit here?” I asked a friendly looking girl who was sitting with one other person.

            “Go ahead.”

            I sat down and stared at my notebook until a bell rang.

            “Good morning,” the teacher said. “Welcome back to school after a long summer. I know some of you from directing the middle school play last year but I don’t know everyone. So why don’t we go around and say our names and the biggest thing that happened this summer. We will start with you.” She pointed at me.

            “My name is Sabrina,” I said nervously. I looked down at my notebook as I thought about what to say next. I already knew that the biggest thing to happen to me this summer was being rescued. But I didn’t really want to bring that up.

            “Are you the Sabrina that was shipwrecked on the same island as Miranda, Emily, and Tiffanie?” the teacher asked.

            My cheeks flushed. “Yes,” I mumbled.

            “How are you finding civilization?” she asked.

            “It’s good,” I lied.

            “Are there any adventures you would like to share with us?”

            “Not now.” I hoped she would drop this. I didn’t want any reminders of my old life. I wanted to just get through school.

            “I’m sure we will hear more from your writing later,” the teacher said before moving on to the next student.

 

Chapter 11

 

            “How are classes going?” Tiffanie asked as I sat down at the table at lunch. Choir had just gotten over.

            “I wish I was a senior,” I complained. “I hate school. I just want it to be over.”

            “Is it really that bad?” Emily asked as she opened her milk.

            “Everyone knows who I am and they won’t leave me alone. They keep asking me questions about my life!”

            “Give it time, Sabrina,” Miranda said gently. “After awhile, people will lose interest. People are treating us the same way.”

            “But at least you understand what you are learning about!” I cried.

            “What do you mean?” Tiffanie asked.

            “I’m too far behind. I have a fourth grade education. I have missed four grades of school and nothing makes sense anymore.”

            “I’m sure that with a little work you will be able to catch up,” Emily said. “You are smart. You have skipped several grades before.”

            “Give it time,” Miranda said.

            I didn’t want to give it time. I didn’t want to continue with school. I just wanted to go back to the island.

            “Are you sure that you won’t take me back to the island?” I asked quietly.

            “Sorry, Sabrina. Just hang in there. God will help you through the rough times.”

            I turned to look at the lunch try in front of me. It appeared school lunch hadn’t changed much in the ten years that I had been gone.

            I took a bite of the mystery mean and spit it out.

            “What is this?” I asked as I took a huge drink of milk.

            “Who knows?” Tiffanie said with a laugh.

            “Here’s another reason why you should take me back to the island.”

            “Just because you don’t like the lunch?”

            “You guys only got a taste of my life,” I said. “If you had been less concerned about being rescued and just focused on living life you would have realized that the island is really an ideal place to live.”

            “And if you weren’t so focused on the island, you might realize that this is a really nice place to live,” Tiffanie said. I could tell that she wasn’t intending to be mean but it still hurt.

            I pushed my tray away from me and stood up.  

            “Where are you going, Sabrina?” Emily called.

            “I wasn’t trying to be mean,” Tiffanie said.

            “I just need some time alone,” I said. “This day has just been a little overwhelming.”

            I went into the bathroom and found it crowded with girls. I went into one of the stalls before they could start asking their questions. I sat down on the floor and started praying.

            “Lord, You know that I am Your servant. But I don’t know where I am supposed to be. If Your intention is for me to live on the island, than please, let Your intentions be clear. And please help me get there. Thanks. Amen.”

            I spent the rest of the school day sitting in the bathroom. I only came out at the end of the day and then I grabbed my backpack and went outside to meet Amanda.

 

Chapter 12

 

            “Do you have homework, Sabrina?” Amanda asked when she came into my room shortly after school had gotten out.

            I was lying on my bed, staring at the wall. I hadn’t wanted to start my homework because I knew that it would be too difficult for me.

            “Sabrina?” Amanda asked.

            “Yes,” I replied.

            “We always have Daphne sit at the kitchen table to do her homework after school.”

            I grabbed my backpack and went into the kitchen. Daphne was already in there, finishing her homework.

            I pulled out my math book and notebook. I opened to the first section and stared at the first problem.

            By the time Daphne had finished her homework, I was only on the second problem. I wasn’t even sure if the first problem was even right.

            I erased my second problem and glanced at my notes. They might as well have been written in a foreign language because I didn’t understand them.

            “Can you help me?” I asked Amanda when she came into the kitchen.

            “What do you need help with?” she asked. She sat down in the chair beside me and pulled my math book closer to her.

            “Number two.”

            She grabbed my notebook and started scribbling down the problem.

            “Ok,” she said after a minute. “To find the area, you need to square the radius and take that times pi. Any questions.”

            “Yes, what does pie have to do with anything? The shape may be a circle but that does not mean much.”

            “Not that kind of pie,” she said with a laugh.

            I felt like crying. I didn’t know what she was talking about but I really didn’t feel like doing this.

            “Pi is a number,” Amanda explained. “It goes on forever but most people shorten it to 3.14.”

            “But what does the other thing you were talking about mean?”

            “What other thing?”

            “I can’t even remember.” I was hoping that she would get frustrated and just give up.

            “I’ll explain one more time. She started explaining the problem again and this time I sort of got it.

            “I need to get started with dinner,” Amanda said after I had gotten the answer right. “If you have any more questions I will be able to help you tonight.”

            I looked at the next problem in my math book but didn’t understand it. I started making attempts but I knew that it was pointless. Amanda was helpful but if I had her help me with the whole assignment, we would be here all night.”

            “Are you almost done with your homework, Sabrina?” Amanda asked after awhile. “Dinner is ready.”

            “Yes,” I lied as I shut my book. I was only on problem four and the only one that I knew was right was number two. I was giving up though.

            “Good girl,” Amanda said.

            That night, I went to bed and cried for several hours. I hated my life and it didn’t seem that it was going to get any easier.

 

Chapter 13

 

            By Sunday, I was far behind on my homework. I had meant to get caught up yesterday but we had gone to visit Amanda’s mother and I hadn’t had any chance. I knew that I should get out of bed soon but the idea of working on homework wasn’t that appealing.

            There was a knock on my door and I jumped out of bed.

            “I’m up, Amanda!” I called, trying not to sound irritable.

            “It’s me,” Tiffanie said as she opened the door.

            “What are you doing here?”
            “I think you need a break.”

            “I haven’t even started yet.”

            “What are you talking about, Sabrina?”

            “What are you talking about?”

            “I’m saying that you seemed really stressed out this week and I think church will be good for you. What were you talking about?”

            “Just saying that I just got up so I really don’t need a break from anything yet,” I lied. Tiffanie didn’t need to know about my homework problem.

            “Well, do you want to go?”

            “Yes.”

            “Hurry up and get dressed then.”

            I pulled on a nice skirt and top and got into Tiffanie’s car. Once we arrived we rushed inside and sat down next to Emily and Miranda.

            “We thought you guys weren’t going to make it,” Miranda said as the band came forward, ending the conversation.

            “You won’t relent until You have it all,” the band began.

            “My heart is Yours,” we joined in.

            After singing a couple of songs, the pastor came forward.

            “Has God been calling you?” he asked. “And are you listening to Him?

            “In the Bible, there are several examples of people God called. One example would be Noah. Noah was told by God to build an ark so that’s just what he did. People laughed at him for building the ark but that didn’t stop Noah. He cared more about obeying God rather than what people thought of him.

            “And take Jonah. He was called by God to go talk to the people of Nineveh. He tried running away but nobody can run away from God. In the end, he listened to God and went to Nineveh.

            “Is God calling you? It could vary from baptism to serving to something else. God has plans for you. He will use you. He will provide. Listen to Him. Trust Him.

            “If you have a decision to make, please feel free to come forward and make that decision.

            The band came back up but I didn’t sing. I was thinking about what the pastor had said.

            God had given me the dream of returning to the island, so I knew that was what He was calling me to do. But I didn’t have anyway to get there.

            God will provide for me. God has plans for me. I had a decision I needed to make!

            “Are you all right, Sabrina?” Tiffanie whispered.

            “I’m ready to be baptized!” I said in a loud whisper.

            “Go on up front than!” she said excitedly.

            I went up front to where the pastor was still standing.

            Everyone else was still singing. The pastor turned to me.

            “Do you have a decision to make?” he asked.

            “Yes, I am ready to be baptized!” I said eagerly.

            The music stopped and the pastor took my arm and led to the front center of the church.

            “Do you want to speak?” he whispered.

            “Sure.” I was excited but nervous.

            “I am sure you have all heard Sabrina’s story,” the pastor said as he addressed the rest of the church. “After Miranda, Tiffanie, and Emily were discovered on the deserted island, Sabrina was found there too. The girls were able to lead her to Christ and now Sabrina is ready to be baptized.”

            “I’m Sabrina,” I said confidently. I felt like God was giving me the words to say. “I was shipwrecked ten years ago on a deserted island. I was seven years old at the time and I was terrified. The only reason I survived was because I had watched a lot of Gilligan’s Island. It was also probably helpful that I was in the fourth grade at the time.

            “At first, I was hopeful about being rescued. But as the days turned into weeks, months, and years, I lost hope. I was happy on the island but that did not mean that I did not want to be rescued.

            “When Miranda, Tiffanie, and Emily washed up on the shores of the island, I got new hope that I would one day be rescued.

            “While the girls were there, they told me about God, and how He had a plan for me. At first, I didn’t believe them. If God had a plan for me, what was I doing on a deserted island? They helped me to see that God had always provided for me on the island. They also helped me to see that God had brought them to the island so that they could bring me to Him.

            “After I was rescued, I waited to be baptized because I was not sure about this new life. But now I see that God had more plans for me and being baptized is one of them.”

            “Sabrina,” the pastor said, “I just have one question for you. Do you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior?”

            “Yes!”

            The pastor led me to a back room while everyone else sang another song. He handed me some clothes to change into and pointed to a room where I could have some privacy.

            My heart was beating fast as I changed into the shorts and t-shirt. It was a good kind of excitement though. I knew this was step one. After this, God was going to help me get back to the island.

            I left the room and found the pastor waiting for me. He pointed me to go up a couple of stairs. At the top, there were a couple of stairs leading into the tub of water located at the very front of the church.

            I went down into the warm water and the next thing I know, the pastor is dunking me completely under.

            It was a feeling like no other. It is hard to explain the feeling of just being baptized. It is the greatest feeling in the world, knowing that I am a part of God’s family and having my sins forgiven.

            At the end of the church service, everyone came up to me and congratulating me for my decision.

            “I’m so happy for you,” Tiffanie said as she gave me a big hug.

            “Well, I couldn’t have done it without you,” I replied with a huge smile.

 

Chapter 14

 

            I didn’t tell Amanda that I had gotten baptized. And since she wasn’t around when I got in, she didn’t see that my long hair was wet and therefore, there weren’t any awkward questions.

            But since I was on such a high from being baptized, I didn’t get around to opening a textbook the entire day.

            On Monday, I was still on my high so I actually went to school with a smile. Even though I wasn’t looking forward to the work that I wouldn’t understand, I couldn’t help but be happy. That is, until the principal asked to see me in his office.

            “You are excused, Sabrina,” my math teacher Mrs. Smith said. I don’t think she wanted to let me leave since I was so far behind but she didn’t want to keep the principal waiting.

            When I got to Mr. Wright’s office, I was surprised to see Amanda and Robert waiting.

            “Come in,” Mr. Wright said when he saw me.

            I timidly walked in and took a seat beside Robert. I just got the feeling that I was in trouble.

            “Help me, Lord,” I begged silently.

            “Do you know what this is about?” Mr. Wright asked once the door was closed.

            “I have ideas,” I said, my voice trembling. The only time I had ever been to see the principal was when I was being promoted to the next grade before the end of the school year.

            “Why don’t you tell us what those ideas are,” Mr. Wright said.

            “I think I may be struggling with my homework which is resulting in me not turning in my assignments.”

            “You are correct, Sabrina,” Mr. Wright said.

            “Sabrina!” Amanda said. “I have offered to help you every night after school. Why aren’t you saying anything?”

            “This isn’t a huge problem yet,” Mr. Wright said. “I mean, this is only the second week of school. But as Sabrina has been out of the school system for over ten years, the teachers have been watching her very closely. They were a bit concerned when they realized she hasn’t turned in a single assignment.”

            Everyone was looking at me, waiting for my explanation.

            “The work is just too hard for me,” I said, not looking at anyone. “If I asked for help, then we would have been there all night. I would have to ask for help on every problem.”

            “Have you been getting anything done when you have been working after school?” Amanda asked.

            “I am trying. I am looking over my notes, trying to understand everything.”

            “Before I offer some suggestions,” Mr. Wright began, “Do you have any ideas of what would help you be successful, Sabrina?”

            “Yeah, let me drop out,” I mumbled.

            “What’s that?”

            “Nothing.”

            “Might I suggest a tutor?” Mr. Wright said.

            “A tutor?” I asked.

            “Sure, a person that will sit beside you as you do your homework after school. They will be able to answer all your questions.”

            “Maybe we can also get her someone to help her while she is at school,” Amanda suggested.

            “You read my mind!” Mr. Wright exclaimed.

            “How does that sound?” Mr. Wright asked me.

            “Wonderful,” I said sarcastically.

            “Great!” Mr. Wright said, not noticing my sarcasm. “I will look into an aide and tutor. You should be able to get help on your homework as early as tonight.”

            “Great,” I said as I stood up and got ready to go back to class.

 

Chapter 15

 

            “Mr. Wright found you a tutor and she is coming over at four,” Amanda said as we rushed home from school that day.

            “Great,” I said sarcastically.

            “She seems very excited to work with you. Make sure that if you have any questions than you ask her.”

            We pulled into the driveway and hopped out of the car.

            I wasn’t looking forward to spending even more time on my homework. Mr. Wright had managed to find me an aide and Ms. Felton spent every class pointing out every little thing. I really didn’t want to go through it again now.

            “I have got a meeting in a few minutes and Daphne stayed after school so you will have some quiet,” Amanda said. “Make sure that you work hard for the tutor.”

            She left and I reluctantly got my textbooks out so that I would be ready for when the tutor arrived.

            The doorbell rang a few minutes later.

            “Hi,” the young girl said. She looked to be in college. “You must be Sabrina.”

            “Are you the tutor?”

            “Yes, I’m Amy.”

            “Come on in.”

            I led her to the kitchen table and Amy got right to work.

            “I have talked with Mr. Wright and worked out a plan. We are going to start with your very first assignments and then work our way through them in order. That way, I won’t have to back track to explain something. We will have to work on weekends too so that you can get caught up.”

            Just then the phone rang.

            “Excuse me,” I said. “I really need to get that.”

            “I will just look over your math assignment,” Amy said.

            I went into the living room and picked up the phone.

            “Hello, this is Sabrina speaking.”

            “Hi, Sabrina. My name is Kendra Lawson and I am with Clearwater Publishing.”

            “Ok.” I had no idea what this Kendra was calling about.

            “I am calling to see if you would be interested in having your life story written.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “I am talking about having your adventures on the island in print.”

            “You mean as a book?” I asked, still not sure exactly what she was going on about.

            “Exactly! At Clearwater Publishing, we think that there is a market for your life story. You can either write the book yourself with help from people here at Clearwater or you can work with another writer.”

            “How about I have time to think about this?”

            “That would be fine. How about I give you my number and you can call me back when you have made your decision.”

            “Ok,” I said as I grabbed the pen and paper next to the phone. I really had no interest in a book deal so I wasn’t sure why I was writing this number down.

            “Are you ready to get started?” Amy asked when I returned.

            “I guess.”

            I turned to my math book but I was having trouble concentrating to what Amy was saying. I kept thinking about the phone call. I mean, surely there were other people that were interested in my life if they wanted to write a book about me.

            “Are you paying attention?” Amy asked.

            “Yes,” I said as I drug myself away from my thoughts.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 16

 

            The waterfall was right in front of me. It had been a long time since I had gone swimming in the cold, clear water. Without taking off my clothes, I dove in. Even though the water was cold, I had missed this place so much that I really didn’t care.

            I swam until I was exhausted, but I was not about to slow down. Instead, I went into the jungle to collect some fruit. I gathered bananas, coconuts, and pineapples before going back to the hut for dinner.

            Arthur, my parrot was waiting for me so I fed him a banana.

            Once it got dark, I started a fire and then grabbed my notebook so that I could write down a few chapters of my life story. People were eager to see how God had provided for me on the island.

            I woke with a start. I was in my bed, not on the island. I started crying as I realized that it had only been a dream.

            I knew that this had been another vision from God. He was telling me that I needed to do two things: Go back to the island and write a book about my life story.

            The dream didn’t answer how I was supposed to get to the island though.

            “Lord,” I prayed, “I know the plans you have for me. I am willing to write the book with Your help. I just have one other thing. I need help getting to the island. Thanks. Amen.”

            I got up and I grabbed the paper with the phone number of Clearwater Publishing. I would have to call their number sometime tomorrow. I couldn’t do it after school though because I had tutoring with Amy and Amanda would not let me call at all. I couldn’t call at school either.

            I looked at the clock. It was only ten thirty. After dinner, I had been staring at the wall again and must have fallen asleep pretty early.

            Maybe there was a chance I could call right now. It sounded like Amanda, Robert, and Daphne were in their rooms for the night. I just had to hope Kendra had decided to stay late at the office.

            I walked quietly into the hall. The light on was in Daphne’s room but not in Robert’s and Amanda’s. I tiptoed into the living room and grabbed the cordless phone before going back to my room.

            With my hand shaking, I dialed the Clearwater Publishing number.

            “Clearwater Publishing, this is Kendra, how may I help you?”

            “This is Sabrina,” I said as loudly as I dared. “I’ve decided to take you up on the offer.”

            “Great. Tell me what you have decided.”

            “I’m going to go back to the island and I will write there,” I said boldly.

            “Excellent. I will be able to stop by the island once a month and see how you are doing.”

            “Thank you. And please, do not try to contact me here again.” I didn’t want Amanda to know my plans.

            “Of course. How soon are you leaving?”

            “Real soon.”

            “Ok, talk to you later.”

            “Bye.”

            I returned the phone to the living room. This time, there was a quiet spring to my step. I was so happy that phase one of my plan was complete. Unfortunately, phase two was going to be a lot harder.

            I went back to my room but I was too excited to sleep. I was going to return to the island soon. I couldn’t wait!

 

Chapter 17

 

            By the time I got up that morning, I was tired, but still very excited. I knew what I had to do. For once in my life, I was happy about going to school. And it was not because I had actually completed some homework.

            “We need to talk to you.”

            Miranda grabbed me the minute I walked through the main doors.

            “I need to talk to you too.”

            Miranda dragged me through the halls to a deserted corner.

            “What’s up?” I asked. I was eager to tell them about my vision last night and how they could help me.

            “Something strange happened to us last night,” Emily said slowly.

            “What do you mean?”

            “All three of us had the same dream,” Tiffanie said.

            “What about?”

            “We had a dream that we were dropping you off on the island. This cannot be a coincidence. We think this is a message from God.”

            “Well, it definitely fits in with my dream,” I replied. Hopefully this would help convince them that they needed to help me.

            “What did you dream?”

            “I dreamed that I was back on the island. The only thing different about my life was that I was also writing a book about my time on the island and how God provided.”

            “What were you planning on doing with that book?”   

            “It’s going to be published.”

            “What are you talking about? You aren’t writing a book.”

            “No, but I talked to the publisher yesterday. She told me that she would come to the island once a month to check on my progress.”

            “So you are actually going to do it? You are going to go back to the island?”

            The girls looked close to tears.

            “It is what God has planned for me. The only thing I am having problems with is transportation.”

            Miranda took a deep breath. “We have been discussing this dream we had, and we decided that we will take you back to the island.”

            “Are you serious?” I was so happy that my voice was squeaking.

            I threw my arms around my friends and gave them a huge hug.

            “Shh, we don’t want everyone to know what we are doing.”

            “We only decided to do this because this is what God wants. Besides, we know that you will be happier on the island.”

            Suddenly, I thought of Amanda and Robert. What would they do when they realized that I was gone?

            “So when do you want to do this?” Tiffanie asked.

            “After school,” I said firmly. “Amanda is going to be out.”

            I would be standing up Amy, but I couldn’t do this any other time.

            “Is there anything you want to take with you?”

            “My notebook and Bible are in my backpack.”

            “Great, so we will arrange for the boat during lunch time. Then, we will wait for Amanda to drop you off at home after school and the after she leaves, we will take you to the island.”

            “You are the greatest friends a girl could ask for!”

            “I’m really going to miss you,” Tiffanie cried.

            “I’ll miss you guys too. You will have to come visit me sometime.”

            All four of us started hugging and crying but we didn’t care if anyone could see.

 

Chapter 18

 

            At lunch time, I wrote out a letter to Robert, Amanda, and Daphne. I would have done it during class or study hall, but now that I have an aide sitting right beside me, I actually have to take notes or work on my assignment.

           

            Dear Robert and Amanda and Daphne,

       I’m sorry that I cannot say goodbye to you in person, but if you knew that I was going back to the island, you would never let me go.

       I don’t expect you to understand why I went back. It’s just; I don’t belong in this world anymore. Ten years on the island has shown me that it is where I belong. And God has shown me that I can fulfill His plans for me on the island. Just so you are clear, I am not leaving because of you. I am just not cut out for civilization.

       I really am going to miss you and I encourage you to come visit me sometime.

       Thanks for all you have done for me.

 

       Sabrina

 

            “Are you still sure about this?” Tiffanie asked right before I left school that afternoon.

            “Yes,” I said determinedly.

            “Then I’ll see you in a few minutes.”

            “How was school today?” Amanda asked when I got in the car.

            “Great!” I said.

            “Isn’t it a good feeling when you understand what you are learning about and you are getting your homework done?”

            “I guess.”

            “Well, I have a meeting this afternoon. Make sure you work hard for Amy. Bye.”

            “Bye.”

            Once she was gone, I dashed to my room and put some clothes and a blanket in my backpack with my Bible and notebook. My friends had suggested that I bring a few extra things with me.

            The doorbell rang so I grabbed my backpack and ran to the door.

            “Are you ready?” Emily asked.

            “Yes!”

            “Then let’s go. We need to leave before your tutor arrives.”

            Once in the car, Tiffanie handed me an envelope.

            “What’s this?”

            “It’s a goodbye present.”

            I opened it and found some pictures of the four of us taken throughout the summer. One was of us on the island right before we were taken back to civilization. A couple more were from the beach and there was one right after I got baptized.

            Tears formed in my eyes as I realized just how much I am going to miss them.

            “I can’t tell you guys how much I appreciate what you are doing for me.”

            “It’s what friends do,” Emily replied.

            We arrived at the marina and found the boat that was waiting for us. We climbed in and silently headed towards the island.

            Once the island was in view, several hours later, I started getting excited. It was taking a lot of control not to dive into the water and start swimming there.

            We slowly got closer to shore. My heart started racing the closer we got.

            “Please come visit me,” I said, tears streaming down my face.

            “Only if you promise that you will come back with us and visit for a few days.”

            “I can handle civilization for a few days.”

            We all hugged and said one last goodbye. The next thing I know, my friends are back in the boat and heading towards civilization.

 

Chapter 19

 

            The first thing I did was go into the jungle to find something to eat. Soon, it would be dark and I wanted to get all the necessary chores done before then. The fun stuff would just have to wait.

            I found a banana tree and quickly kicked off my shoes before climbing it. I grabbed enough bananas for dinner and breakfast and then came down.

            Next, I climbed up another tree and got a couple of coconuts.

            As I was climbing down, I heard someone talking.

            “Sabrina?” the voice said.

            I slid down the tree in surprise and then saw my pet parrot Arthur.

            “Arthur!” I exclaimed.

            “Arthur want dinner!” he chirped.

            I laughed and then peeled a banana for him. I didn’t have much time to waste because the sun was starting to set. I had really missed Arthur though.

            I left Arthur eating his banana and took the food back to my hut.

            The hut had suffered a lot of damage from the few months that I had been away but I didn’t have time to make all the repairs before dark. I finally decided that I would at least fix the roof before the sun set just in case it rained, which it did quite often.

            I went back in the jungle and gathered some palm fronds and then took these back to fix the roof.

            By the time the sun set, I was tired and hungry but also happy.

            I went into the hut and found Arthur sitting on his perch. I gave him another banana and then helped myself to one.

            After I was full, I climbed into my bed that I had made myself several years ago. I was going to have a busy day tomorrow and I couldn’t wait to get started.

           

            I awoke to sunlight streaming into the hut.

            “Arthur want breakfast!” the parrot chirped.

            “All right,” I said as I gave him a banana.

            I decided that I was going to go for a swim before breakfast. I changed into my swimsuit and then headed to the waterfall.

            The site nearly took my breath away. Even though I had seen it everyday for ten years, it was still a miraculous site. It was one of God’s creations.

            I dove into the cold water and swam laps until I was starved. I jumped out of the water and pulled my t-shirt on over my suit before heading back to the hut.

            The closer I got to camp, the more I could swear that I could hear people talking.

            “Arthur must have gotten himself a girlfriend,” I said with a lap.

            As I approached the clearing, I dropped the firewood I had gathered along the way. The voices did not belong to some parrots, but to people.

            The closer I got, I was able to see Robert, Amanda, Emily, Tiffanie, Miranda, and the police all waiting by my hut.

            “What are you doing here?” I asked when I got close enough to have a conversation.

            “Sabrina, how could you?” Amanda cried.

            “What’s going on?” I asked my friends.

            “How could you ask your friends to just abandon you here on the island?” Robert asked.

            “Why don’t you tell us what is going on, Sabrina?” one of the police officers said kindly.

            “I hate civilization,” I said bluntly. “I kept having dreams about going back to the island and I knew that they were from God. I just couldn’t get my friends to take me.”

            “And let me guess,” Amanda said sarcastically, “they agreed to take you after having their own visions?”

            “Exactly.”

            “Sabrina, you can’t live your whole life on a deserted island!”

            “Sure I can. It’s what God wants me to do. I already worked it out with the book publisher. She said that if I would write my story, than she would send someone here once a month to check on my progress.”

            “What if something were to happen though?” Amanda protested. “You would not be able to get help.”

            “God protected me for ten years and He will continue to provide for me the rest of my life.”

            “Still, Sabrina, you can’t spend your whole life here!”

            “Look, Amanda, I told you already that I appreciate everything that you guys have done for me. But I don’t want to live anywhere else but here. You are more than welcome to visit on occasion and I will even come visit you. But I am not going to live in civilization permanently.”

            “Why don’t we have a minute to discuss this?” one of the officers said to Amanda and Robert.

            “I am guessing they found out you were involved?” I asked my friends.

            “Yeah, once Amanda found out that you were gone, she called our houses, but we weren’t there. By the time we got back to the marina, Amanda and Robert were waiting for us with the police. They demanded to know our story but by that time, it was too late to come here. So we had to wait until morning.”

            Just then Robert and Amanda came back.

            I looked at them nervously. I knew that my future was in their hands. I was not eighteen so I did not have many rights. I also did not own this island, so they could technically make me leave.

            “We have made some decisions,” Robert said.

            I waited nervously, my heart racing.

            “We have decided to let you stay,” Amanda said stiffly. I could tell that she didn’t approve but had decided to do what I wanted.

            “There are just a few conditions,” Robert warned.

            What conditions could there be when I was on the island alone.

            “What are they?” I asked. I was relieved that they had agreed to let me stay.

            “First, we are going to bring a boat here that way if something does happen, you have a way back to the mainland.”

            “Ok.” I could deal with that.

            “Next, we are going to come visit on occasion to make sure that are doing all right. If we have reason to suspect that you are not, we will demand that you leave. We don’t care how old you are at the time.”

            “Ok,” I replied. I could deal with that too.

            “Finally, we are going to be sending a doctor here every once in awhile, just to make sure that you are ok. Again, if we have reason to think you are not, we will demand that you go back.”

            “Ok,” I said again. I wasn’t thrilled about that one but I could live with it.

            “Do you agree to these terms?” Robert asked.

            “Yes!”

            “Well, it looks like our business here is done,” Robert said to everyone. “I guess we can leave.”

            “Just be warned that this island might not always be deserted,” the police officer said. “Someday in the future, someone may decide that they want to start building on this island and a whole town could spring up.”

            Everyone got back on the boat and I waved until I could see them no longer.

            I didn’t know what the future held. I just knew that God had plans for me and that He would continue to provide no matter what happened.

           

 

           

           

           

           

           

 

 

            

© 2013 Kimberly Adams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on October 18, 2013
Last Updated on October 18, 2013
Tags: shipwrecked, rescued, island

Author

Kimberly Adams
Kimberly Adams

About
My favorite thing to do is write. After I surrendered my life to Christ and became a Christian, I decided that I would write for God. I usually focus on depression in my writing as well because it is .. more..

Writing
Sheltered Sheltered

A Chapter by Kimberly Adams