Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Ginger

Ginger

A Story by Kimberly Adams
"

Glinda's cousin Ginger is coming to stay. And to make matters worse, Ginger is pregnant. Will Glinda ever be able to like her cousin enough to tell her about God?

"

Chapter 1

 

            I was busy with my physiology homework when there was a knock on the door.

            “Come in,” I called.

            My mom came into my room and sat down on my bed.

            “What’s up?” I asked.

            “Well, your dad and I got a rather strange call today,” my mom said slowly.

            “What about?” I didn’t think I had done anything wrong at school lately.

            “It was from your Aunt Mary Anne.”

            “What did she want?” I didn’t like Aunt Mary Anne mostly because I didn’t like my cousin Ginger.

            “Well, she asked if Ginger could come stay with us for awhile.”

            “Did you tell her no?”

            There was no way that my mom would let Ginger stay with us. Ginger lives in a really rough neighborhood and that has had an affect on her. She acts really tough and doesn’t always make the best decisions. The last time I saw her, we were thirteen. She had just gotten an MIP. My mom didn’t really want me to be around her.

            My mom was avoiding eye contact with me. “No,” she said.

            “Why?” I was shocked.

            “Ginger is pregnant.”

            “So, that is her own fault.”

            “Glinda, you remember what Ginger was like when she was thirteen. If she doesn’t get away from that kind of life, the baby will die.”

            “And again, that will be her fault.”

            “Mary Anne is hoping that by coming here, Ginger might get away from her friends and make smart decisions.”

            “I don’t think there is any hope for that girl.”

            “Glinda, we just need to pray and have faith. Ginger has about seven months before the baby is due. A lot can happen in that time.”

            Even though I hadn’t seen Ginger for three years, I knew that it would take a miracle to get her turned around. I knew what Ginger was like at thirteen. I don’t imagine she got any better in the last three years.

 

Chapter 2

 

            A few days later, my mom picked Ginger up from the airport. The next thing I know, she is moving into my room.

            Ginger had changed a bit since the last time I saw her. She had acquired a tattoo on her wrist as well as a long red cut on her cheek. It was definitely going to scar.

            I tried to pretend to do my homework while Ginger unpacked. She would probably beat me up if she caught me staring at her.

            Ginger was about done when there was a knock on the door and my parents came in.

            “It’s good to have you here,” my dad said.

            Ginger shot him a look that clearly said she would rather be somewhere else.

            “Mind if we go over a few things with you?” my mom asked.

            “I really don’t think you will listen to my opinion on the matter,” Ginger mumbled.

            My mom and dad grabbed our desk chairs and brought them over to her bed. Ginger took a seat on the bed, looking very bored.

            “How did you get that cut?” my dad asked as he got a good look at Ginger’s cheek.

            “It’s nothing,” Ginger said.

            “It looks deep though,” my dad said. “Do you mind if I have a look at it?”

            “Please just leave me alone!” Ginger said loudly.

            “Maybe at your first doctor appointment tomorrow, it can be looked at,” my dad said.

            “What are you talking about?! You are not my doctor! I don’t need to see a doctor!”

            “No, I am not your doctor,” my dad reassured her. “I have gotten my friend, Dr. O’Hara to take you on.”

            “I don’t need to see a doctor!” Ginger repeated.

            “You are pregnant, Ginger,” my dad said firmly. “Seeing a doctor is just part of the pregnancy.”

            “My best friend Maria never saw a doctor once when she was pregnant. In fact, the baby was born in her bathroom.”

            “While you are here, Ginger, we have rules for you. And one of them is to see the doctor.”

            Ginger rolled her eyes. “Let’s hear the rest.”

            “You will go to school and do your homework each night. We will give you a little time to adjust and then we expect you to either find a job or get involved in school activities. Other than that, you are expected to act as a part of our family.”

            “Sounds wonderful,” Ginger said sarcastically.

 

Chapter 3

 

            The next day, Ginger stayed at home with my mom. My parents thought it would be better to give her a day to adjust before starting school.

            Unfortunately, my mom had her book club at four and there was no one else to take Ginger to her doctor’s appointment.

            “Why do I have to do it?” I complained. “Ginger will kill me.”

            “You are seriously scared of her?” my mom asked with a laugh.

            “She ran the streets. She has seen and done things that we would rather not know about.”

            “Glinda, I will be here when you pick her up after school. And I guess if anything happens after that, you will have your phone.”

            So after school I came home to pick up Ginger and then drove her to the clinic.

            “You know, I really don’t need a babysitter,” Ginger said irritably as she filled out some paperwork.

            “I really don’t want to be here. But my parents have their reasons and I have to listen to them.”

            “It’s more like they want you to be my babysitter. Well, I didn’t need supervision to get pregnant and I don’t need supervision here.”

            “Ginger, please just fill out those papers and don’t get mad at me! I didn’t decide this.”

            Ginger signed the forms with an angry flourish and then went to turn them in at the front desk. Once she returned to her seat, she pulled a magazine from her purse and ignored me.

            “Ginger,” a friendly nurse called.

            We both stood up and went up to the nurse.

            “So how is it going, Ginger? She asked as she led us to an exam room.

            “I am fine!” she answered angrily.

            “What happened to your cheek?”

            “It’s just a cut!”

            “It looks pretty deep. The doctor should look at it.”

            “The cut is several days old. It is fine!”

            The nurse had to be just as scared of Ginger as I am. She quickly took her pulse and temperature and left the room.

            There was a knock on the door a few minutes later and Dr. O’Hara came in the room.

            “How is it going, Glinda? And this must be your cousin, Ginger. How’s it going?”

            “I am good,” I answered.

            “Well, Ginger, how long have you been pregnant?”

            “About two months.”

            “Do you mind taking a seat up there so that I can take a look at you?”

            Ginger let out a deep sign that told me she did mind. She turned to shoot me a mean look and didn’t move.

            “What happened to your cheek?” Dr. O’Hara asked in concern as he caught a glance at her face.

            “It is nothing.”

            “How long ago did it happen?”

            “A couple days ago.”

            “And what did you do?”

            “I just cut myself on something. It’s nothing.”

            “Your secret is safe with me,” Dr. O’Hara said calmly.

            “It’s no secret,” Ginger insisted. “It’s just a cut.”

            Dr. O’Hara must have figured he wasn’t going to get a straight answer from Ginger. He got out some cotton, bandages, and alcohol.

            “I just need to know if the thing that you cut yourself with was rusty,” he finally said.

            “It wasn’t,” Ginger answered.

            Ginger cringed as Dr. O’Hara put the alcohol soaked cotton ball to the cut.

            “Please don’t put a bandage on it,” she begged. “That would make me look stupider than I do with the cut.”

            “We need to keep it clean though.”

            “The cut happened several days ago. I think it is a little late for that. If I get concerned, I will have Glinda’s dad clean it.”

            I knew Ginger would never get concerned and she most definitely wouldn’t let my dad look at it.

            “Suit yourself, Ginger. Please have a seat on the table.”

            Ginger appeared to be considering something. The next thing I know, she runs out of the room.

            “Where is she going?” Dr. O’Hara asked me.

            “I have no idea!”

            We both ran after her.

            “Stop that girl!” Dr. O’Hara called.

            “Let me go!” I heard Ginger cry from around the corner.

            Dr. O’Hara and I rounded the corner and found my dad struggling to hold on to Ginger.

            “What’s going on?” my dad asked.

            “I had just cleaned her cut and then asked her to get on the table when she ran away,” Dr. O’Hara explained.

            “Why did you do that, Ginger?” my dad asked.

            “I’m not doing this,” Ginger replied.

            “Ginger, you are pregnant. You are going to have to go to appointments. Now, if you tell me what you are scared about I can try to help you.”

            Ginger was silent.

            “Now are you going to let Dr. O’Hara do his job?” my dad asked.

            Ginger seemed to be trying to think of a way out of this.

            “Let’s get this over with then,” she said as she shook free from my dad and started walking back to the exam room.

           

Chapter 4

 

            The next day, Ginger started school. At first, she had to sort out her schedule with the guidance counselor so I didn’t see her until fourth period health.

            My parents had told me that I needed to introduce Ginger to my friends but Ginger didn’t seem to need my help. She had already found a seat in the back of the class with some people who don’t exactly have the best values.

            “Are you sure she is your cousin?” Charity asked at lunch. I mean, she seems nothing like you.”

            “Is this the cousin you have always said that you are scared of?” Samantha asked.

            “Yeah, she is the one.”

            “How did she get the cut on her cheek?” Charity asked.

            “She won’t say. I imagine she was probably up to no good though.”

            “So she came here so that she could get away from the bad influences from running the streets, right?” Samantha asked.

            “Right,” I answered. I wasn’t going to tell anyone at school that Ginger was pregnant until she decided she was ready to let people know.

            “So why are you letting Ginger hang out with the wrong crowd?”

            “I am not Ginger’s babysitter! Ginger is going to have to learn to make smart decisions on her own.”

            “Are you praying for her to make the right decisions?”

            “Pray for her?”

            “Come on, Glinda! We are strong Christians. When we made the decision to become Christians, we said that we would give God everything. We said that God was going to be a part of every aspect of our lives.”

            “I guess Ginger is the opposite of what you would expect from a Christian.”

            “She still needs Christ, Glinda. In fact, now that she is at a new school, it might be the perfect time to introduce her to Christ. She doesn’t really have any friends yet.”

            “I don’t know if Ginger is going to be open to Christ,” I said.

            “Have you even tried?”

            “Ginger is going through a lot right now. That is part of the reason why she is here.”

            “Glinda, Ginger could use God’s help. She can’t deal with life’s problems without Him.”

            “I will pray for her!” I said.

            “And invite her to church.”

            I imagined inviting Ginger to church. She would either laugh or punch me.

            “Come on, Glinda! You remember how happy you were when you gave your life to Christ. And everyday, you know that you will one day spend eternity in Heaven. Don’t you want Ginger to have that guarantee too?”

            “I will pray for her and invite her to church. I can’t guarantee that she will say yes though.”

            “You can only do so much. Ginger is going to have to make the decision in the end.”

            Maybe introducing Ginger to Christ would be a good thing. I mean, she could really use a lifestyle makeover. That is why she came here. Christ would be good for her.

 

Chapter 5

 

            After school, I sat on the couch, working on my English essay while Ginger watched TV.

            “Don’t you have any homework, Ginger?” my mom asked as she came into the room.

            “The teachers were nice to me today since I am new.”

            My mom had moved around a lot when she was a kid because of her dad’s job. She knows what it is like to be a new student.

            “Go get your homework, Ginger. You may watch TV when you are finished.”

            “I don’t have any homework,” Ginger insisted.

            “Ginger, in this house, you are going to be expected to give higher priority to your school work. The grades you got at your old school aren’t going to fly.”

            “Whatever,” Ginger said without moving from her chair.

            “What does she have for homework, Glinda?” my mom asked.

            “Well, she is only in my health, Spanish, and history classes so I don’t know all her homework.”

            “What does she need to do for those classes?”

            “We have a Spanish vocabulary assignment and we need to read chapter ten for history.”

            Ginger shot me a look that scared me.

            “Go get your books, Ginger.”

            “I left them at school.”

            “Do you have your books here, Glinda?”

            I handed over my Spanish and history books.

            “I want to see at least one subject done by the time I come back, Ginger,” my mom said.

            “You are going to get it,” Ginger said under her breath as she opened the Spanish book.

            I believed Ginger. She would find some way to get revenge.

            I quickly finished my essay and left the room before Ginger could hurt me.

            “How was school today?” my dad asked when I entered the kitchen.

            “Ok.”

            “How was school for Ginger?”

            “I don’t know. She is only in a few of my classes.”

            “Did you introduce her to your friends?”

            “There was no need. She has already managed to find her own friends.”

            “And who might they be?”

            “Well, at lunch I saw her eating with Tracey, Michael, Kim, and Paul.”        

            “Do you think you could convince her to hang out with some other people?” My dad knew that her friends had a bad reputation.

            “Dad, I don’t think Ginger wants anything to do with you or me. I don’t think Ginger is ready to give up her old life. We can only do so much for her. The rest she has to do.”

            “I guess you are right. Just see if you can’t convince her to hang out with some other friends. For example, invite her to eat lunch with you and your friends.”

            “I’ll try,” I promised, even though I knew Ginger wouldn’t go for it. “But tonight, would it be ok if I slept out in the living room?”

            “Are you honestly scared of Ginger?” my dad asked with a laugh.

            “It’s not funny!”

            “Glinda, you will be fine.”

            “That’s what you think,” I said before I stalked off to my room.

            I remembered what my friends had talked about at lunch.

            “Lord,” I prayed silently, “I pray for Ginger. I pray that You will help her make smart decisions to keep her baby safe. I pray that she will surrender her life to You. Amen.”

 

Chapter 6

 

            For the rest of the week, I considered how I would approach Ginger about going to church. The problem is, Ginger is still mad at me and I am scared of her.

            It turns out though, that my parents decided that Ginger had no choice about church.

            “Time to get up, girls,” my dad said early Sunday morning.

            “Why?” Ginger complained.

            “I told you last night that we are going to church,” my dad said patiently. “Now, let’s go.”

            I got out of bed and pulled on my dress pants and blue top. Ginger pulled on a pair of old jeans and a sweatshirt.

            “Are you sure that you want to wear that to church?” I asked.

            Ginger shot me a look and I knew not to talk to her.

            We went into the kitchen for breakfast. My parents looked like they wanted to say something to Ginger but thought better of it.

            “Let’s go,” my dad said a few minutes later.

            We got in the car and we went to church.

            “And who is this?” the greeters at the door asked when we went inside.

            “This is Ginger, our niece,” my mom said.

            “Welcome, Ginger.” Both the greeters stuck out their hands but Ginger stalked past them.

            “Sorry about that,” my dad said before rushing off after Ginger.

            “I’m glad you brought your cousin,” Charity said to me.

            “As you can see, she is thrilled to be here.”

            “Give her time.”

            “Are you sure you don’t want to sit next to her?” I joked.

            “Continue praying for her,” Charity said before she went off to find her family.

            I went into the sanctuary and found that my family had saved me a seat, right next to Ginger.

            “Good morning!” the worship band said. “Please rise and join in singing praise to the Lord.”

            Ginger seemed determined not to participate in the service. She remained seated during all the songs. She refused to greet anybody, and she drew pictures all over the bulletin during the sermon.

            “Please don’t make her to go to youth group tonight,” I begged my parents when we got home.

            “We’re not going to make her go,” my dad assured me. “We can only hope that she will get something out of church just by being there.”

            “Hopefully.”

 

Chapter 7

 

            “Where’s Ginger?” my mom asked after school.

            “I’m not my cousin’s keeper,” I replied irritably.

            “Glinda, she obviously didn’t ride home with you. Did she tell you where she was going?”

            “She said she wanted to hang out with her friends.”

            “And you let her?” my mom shrieked. “You know what her friends are like!”

            “Ginger needs to make decisions herself. We can only help her so much.”

            “You could have helped her by telling her she couldn’t hang out with her friends.”

            “Maybe we should just tell Mary Anne that this isn’t working and send Ginger back.”

            “This is more about the baby, not Ginger.”

            “Yeah, but the rest of us still have to deal with Ginger.”

            “You need to be patient with her. Remember, she lived her life on the street for years. You can’t expect her to suddenly switch to your life style in a couple of weeks.”

            “It still isn’t easy.”

            “Give it time, Glinda.”

            “I’ll try.”

            “Well, let’s go track Ginger’s phone using GPS.”

            “Why do I have to help?” I complained. I would be relieved if Ginger never came back.

            My mom shot me a look and I quickly followed her out to the car.

            “Do you know who lives here?” my mom asked as we pulled up in front of a tiny house with peeling yellow paint.

            “I think this is where Shelby Whitlock lives.”

            Shelby had been in my class until she decided to drop out last year. By then, it had been well known that she had been smoking since middle school. I figured she was probably up to bigger things since leaving high school. The last I heard, she was pregnant.

            “You stay here,” my mom ordered.

            I watched as she walked up to the door and rang the bell. Shelby came to the door and after a minute, she left and returned with Ginger. Ginger looked angry as she got in the car.

            “I can’t believe you!” Ginger exploded.

            “You didn’t even tell us where you were going. And I never would have allowed you to go over to Shelby’s house.”

            “I told Glinda that I was going to a friend’s house. I didn’t tell Glinda what friend because I didn’t realize that Shelby used to go to this school.”

            “You needed to ask me at least.”

            “You already told me that you wouldn’t have allowed it! I don’t know what your problem is. I just heard that Shelby had recently had a baby so I went to her house to talk to her.”

            “Still, Ginger, Shelby is not the right friend for you.”                

            “Fine, why don’t you pick out my friends? You’re already trying to control my life.”

            We pulled into the garage and Ginger jumped out and ran in the house before another word could be said.

 

Chapter 8

 

            “Where is Ginger?” my dad asked me as I was sitting in the living room doing homework.

            “Probably in our room,” I answer. “Don’t worry; she came home with me today.”

            “I just wanted to make sure that she is doing her homework.”

            I went back to my own homework.

            “Ginger is gone!” my dad exclaimed loudly.

            My mom and I ran into the room. The window was open and my dad was holding a note.

 

            Dear Dr. and Mrs. Goldstein and Glinda,

 

            Sorry that this didn’t work out. I just got tired of all your rules and demands. I’m going to be a mother soon and I feel that I need to start making my own decisions.

            Goodbye.

           

            Ginger

 

            “Where in the world would she go?” my mom asked.

            “Let’s see if we can’t track her phone,” my dad suggested.

            “That is going to be a little difficult,” I said as I held up her phone.

            “Well, let’s start searching the town,” my dad said.

            I tried to think about where I would go if I was running away. I would probably go to one of my friends’ houses. Of course, Ginger would expect us to think of that. If I was Ginger, I would probably want to go back to my real home.

            I got on the highway, hoping that Ginger hadn’t been hitchhiking.

            As I left the boundaries of town, I could see a figure along the side of the road. As I got closer, I could see it was Ginger.

            “Get in,” I ordered.

            “I can’t,” she said tearfully. “I twisted my ankle in a hole back there.”

            I pulled off to the side of the road and then hopped out.

            “Is your ankle broken?” I asked.

            “I don’t think so. It still hurts to walk though.”

            “Let me call my dad and tell him that I found you. Then, he can look at your ankle when we get home.”

            “Glinda, I can’t go back.”

            “Sure you can. My parents aren’t willing to give up on you.”

            “But I gave up on them. Are you sure they haven’t changed their minds?”

            “If they had given up on you, they wouldn’t be out looking for you.”

            “If you’re sure.”

            I took out my phone.

            “Dad, I found her. She twisted her ankle.”

            “Bring her home and I will take a look at it. Please be nice to her.”

            “I will.”

            “So is he mad at me?” Ginger asked.

            “No. Now, let’s go home.”

            I helped Ginger into my car and I drove home.

            My parents met Ginger with open arms. I could tell that she didn’t like the attention.

            “Don’t ever do that again,” my mom said through her tears.

            “Let’s get you inside,” my dad said.

            I helped him get her into our room and then I left. I was sure that my parents needed some time to talk to Ginger.

 

Chapter 9

 

            “Glinda,” a voice called out.

            I opened my eyes. I was in my room. It had to be about two in the morning.

            I heard a moan.

            “Ginger, are you all right?” I asked.

            I got out of bed and went over to Ginger. Even in the faint light coming from the window, I could tell something was wrong with Ginger.

            “Please go get your dad, Glinda.”

            I rushed over to my mom and dad’s room.

            I gently shook my dad. “Something is wrong with Ginger,” I said once his eyes were open.

            “What’s going on?” he asked.

            “I think Ginger is sick.”

            My dad jumped out of bed and went over to our room.

            I waited in the living room. I didn’t want to get in the way.

            I really didn’t care too much about Ginger. She has been a pain ever since she arrived. I did care about her baby though. The baby was so innocent and unfortunately, its life was tied to Ginger’s.

            “Lord,” I prayed, “please let Ginger and baby be all right. Let me dad cure them of whatever is wrong. Thanks. Amen.”

            My dad came out, carrying Ginger.

            “I’m taking her to the hospital,” my dad said.

            “Can I come too?”

            “Why don’t you wait until after school to come visit?”

            I understood that I would be more help at home, praying.

 

 

            “How are you feeling?” I asked Ginger that afternoon. She looked like she was feeling fine.

            “Much better, thanks to your dad. The baby is expected to make it!”

            “That’s good to hear. I though you didn’t care about the baby though.”

            “Why would you think that?” Ginger asked in concern.

            “Well, I have always had the impression that drugs, alcohol, and gangs were your life. I figured you wouldn’t want to give up those things for the baby.”

            “Glinda, I gave up alcohol and drugs the second that I had the suspicion that I was pregnant. And I gave up my gang friends when I moved here. I know you don’t approve of the friends I have now but I really haven’t done anything wrong.”

            “I’m sorry for doubting you,” I said.

            “And I am sorry for the way I have been treating you,” Ginger replied. “I guess I was really upset about having to move here. I know you were told that I was coming here so that I could get away from my bad lifestyle. That is only part of the reason though. My mom also sent me here because she was ashamed of me. She didn’t want people to know that her daughter was pregnant.”

            I couldn’t imagine my parents ever trying to hide me for a decision I made. I mean, if I ever told them I was pregnant, they wouldn’t be happy but they would still be supportive.

            “I’m sorry,” I said.

            “Don’t be; it isn’t your fault.”

            “It isn’t your fault that you have had such a hard life,” I said.

            “Some of it is. I was the one that chose to sleep with the jerk that I called a boyfriend.”

            “So you hate him only because you are pregnant?” I asked. I was confused. It was just as much Ginger’s fault as it was her boyfriend’s.

            “No, I hate him because when I told him I was pregnant, he gave me this!” Ginger pointed to the cut on her cheek that was starting to heel.

            “Again, Ginger, I am sorry to hear that.”

            “Glinda, I want to get my life turned around for real this time.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “I’m about to have a baby in a few months. If I don’t make some changes soon, my child is going to end up just like me.”

            “And what changes do you want to make? I will help you in anyway that I can.”

            “I probably need to find some new friends,” Ginger began. “I don’t think the ones I hang out with now are a very good influence.”

            “You are always welcome to join my group of friends.”

            “I am also interested in becoming serious about religion.”

            “I can help you there too.”

            “Thanks, Glinda. You are almost like a sister to me.”

            “I think it is too early to call you my sister, but give it time.”

            Ginger threw her arms around me and gave me a tight hug. I couldn’t help but hug her back. My prayers were being answered.

 

Chapter 10

 

            I was so excited for Ginger to go to church on Sunday. I was hoping that the sermon would be just want she needed to hear. She already had an open heart and mind but she still needed to make the ultimate decision to surrender her life to Christ.

            This time, when the pastor came forward to begin the sermon, Ginger was ready. She had her note paper, Bible, and a pen.

            “When we think about the heroes in the Bible,” the pastor began, “we often think of King David or Moses or numerous other people. You probably don’t think of Rahab, the prostitute, as a heroine. Let us begin by reading Joshua chapter two verses one through twenty four.”

            The pastor read aloud about the spies who had gone to look at some land and ended up staying with Rahab. The king was told about the spies and demanded Rahab to release them. She lied and said they had left even though she had hidden them on her roof. In return, God saved her and her family when the land was attacked.

            “You wouldn’t expect God to use Rahab,” the pastor said, “because of her background, but Rahab is actually an ancestor to Jesus. Rahab believed in God and was ready to be used.

            “Faith leads to confession. As Romans ten, nine through ten says, If you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

            “Faith also leads to action. James two verses seventeen and twenty five through twenty six says, Faith, by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead…. In the same was, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? As the boy without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead. Faith works.

            “Faith leads to change. This can mean a changed life, like in First Corinthians six eleven. Some of you used to do those things. But your sins were washed away. You were made holy. You were made right with God. All of that was done in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. And Second Corinthians five seventeen says, Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! Finally, a changed life is mentioned in Romans eight one. Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

            “Another change that faith brings is a changed future. There are several verses that talk about this change. The city and all that is in it are to be devoted to the Lord. Only Rahab the prostitute and all who are with her in her house shall be spared, because she hid the spies we sent… Joshua spared Rahab the prostitute, with her family and all who belonged to her, because she hid the men Joshua had sent as spies to Jericho- and she lives among the Israelites to this day. Joshua chapter six, verses seventeen and twenty five.

            “By faith, the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient. Hebrews eleven thirty one.

            For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans six twenty three.

            Everyone has sinned and fallen short of God’s glorious standard, and all need to be made right with God by His grace, which is a free gift. They need to be made free from sin through Jesus Christ. God sent Him to die in our place to take away our sins. We receive forgiveness through faith in the blood of Jesus’ death. Romans three, twenty three through twenty five.

            “And finally, Revelation chapter one verse five says, He is the One who loves us, who made us free from our sins with the blood of His death.

            “Liz Curtis Higgs once said, ‘If God can turn a harlot into a holy vessel, entrusting her with the very genes that would one day produce the King of kings, surely those of us with a past can leave our shame in the rubble and walk away, fixing our eyes on the One who washes us white as snow.’

            “Do you have a decision to make?” the pastor finished. “If so, I invite you to talk to me.”

            The service continued with a song. I couldn’t wait for church to be over so that I could talk to Ginger. I thought the sermon seemed just right for her. Hopefully, she felt the same way. She sure had taken a lot of notes.

            “So, what did you think?” I asked eagerly as soon as the last song was done.

            “It was like God was speaking to me!” Ginger answered. “I had no idea that one of Jesus’ relatives was a prostitute. If God can use Rahab, then He can use me!”

            I couldn’t help myself. I hugged Ginger again. Hopefully this was only the beginning to her relationship with God!

 

Chapter 11

 

            “Do you mind if I sit with you?” Ginger asked my friends and me at lunch on Monday.

            I knew that Ginger was going to stop hanging around her old friends. I didn’t realize she meant my friends and me. I guess I really didn’t care. I was willing to forget about her past.

            “Of course,” I answered.

            “Thanks.” Ginger sat down beside me.

            “Ginger, these are my friends, Samantha and Charity. Sam and Charity, this is my cousin, Ginger.”

            “It’s nice to meet you, Ginger,” Samantha said politely.

            “So how do you like this school?” Charity asked.

            “Well, it was rough at first, but I am starting to like it here.”

            “That’s good to hear,” Charity said. “Are you involved in anything?”

            “I was going to go to youth group last night with Glinda but I was sick most of last week and Glinda was gracious enough to bring home all my homework.”

            “What was wrong?” Samantha asked in concern.

            “Pregnancy complication.”

            Charity and Samantha both looked at Ginger is shock.

            “You’re pregnant?” Charity finally asked.

            “You didn’t say anything, Glinda,” Samantha said.

            “Why would I say anything? It’s not my story to tell.”

            “Thanks, Glinda, for keeping my secret. You didn’t have to do that though. It’s going to come out eventually. I can’t hide it forever.”

            “We actually had a student here that did hide the fact that she was pregnant,” Sam said.

            “How did that work?” Ginger asked curiously.

            “She was a new girl so nobody really knew her. At first, she only wore sweatshirts and then eventually she started wearing her coat inside. Since it was winter, nobody really thought much about it. A majority of the school was surprised when over Christmas break, she had her baby.”

            “I do wish I had never got together with my boyfriend,” Ginger said, “but I can’t change the past. This baby is not a mistake. God has plans for me and this child.”

            “That is a good way to look at it.”

            “Thanks. I can really use your prayers right now. Being a pregnant teenager isn’t easy.”

            “We can do that for you,” Charity promised as the bell rang.

 

Chapter 12

 

            After school, I found Ginger waiting impatiently by my locker.

            “What’s the hurry?” I asked her.

            “We are going somewhere. Don’t worry; I already got your mom’s permission.”

            “Where are we going?”

            “It’s a surprise.”

            “How am I going to drive there if I don’t know where we are going?”

            “Don’t worry; I will direct you.”

            Ginger and I got into my car and she directed me to wherever it was that we were going.

            “The Crisis Pregnancy Center?” I asked in disbelief as I pulled up in front of the building. “Ginger, I don’t think you are considered a crisis anymore.”

            “We are going to volunteer, silly,” she said as she got out of the car.

            “What exactly are we going to be doing?”

            “I don’t know. When I called though, they said they had some projects that we could help with.”

            “Ok,” I said doubtfully.

            “Glinda, when I first realized that I was pregnant, I went to a crisis pregnancy center. They were so helpful. Now, I want to give back.”

            “Ok, fine.”

            We went inside and approached a woman behind a desk.

            “How may I help you?” she asked.

            “My name is Ginger. I talked to someone about volunteering.”

            “Of course. We have another girl working on folders. Why don’t you go join her? She is in the second room on the left.”

            “Thank you.”

             “What are folders?” I asked as we headed down the hall.

            “Beats me.”

            We entered the room and found a girl about our age stuffing folders with a bunch of brochures.

            “Are you the volunteers?” the girl asked.

            “Yes. I’m Ginger and this is Glinda.”

            “I’m Wendy.”

            “What are we doing?” I asked.

            “We are assembling folders of information for people who come in. All you have to do is fill a folder with one of each of these brochures.”

            Ginger and I grabbed some folders and started filling them with brochures.

            “Do you come here often?” Ginger asked Wendy.

            “I come here about once a week. I just feel the need to help others make the same decision as my sister. Even though I don’t get much of an opportunity to talk to people, I still feel like I am helping in some small way.”

            “Was you sister pregnant?” Ginger asked.

            “Yeah, a couple of years ago. She came here, intending to have an abortion. She met a Christian counselor and decided to keep the baby. She also started going to church with the counselor. One day, she invited me to go. Shortly after that, I gave my life to Christ and was baptized.”

            “What is baptism?” Ginger asked curiously.

            “Baptism happens after you surrender your life to God. Once you accept the forgiveness God gave you through the death of His Son, Jesus Christ and decide to live your life for Him, a person is baptized. Baptism means that you are immersed in water to symbolize the washing away of your sins.”

            “How come you didn’t tell me about baptism, Glinda?” Ginger asked.

            “You just started showing interest in God a few days ago, Ginger. You can’t learn everything in one day.”

            “So what happens after you are baptized?” Ginger asked. I could tell that she was very interested in this concept.

            “You become a member of God’s family. You will live your life for Him and then afterwards, you will live eternity in Heaven.”  

            “Are you baptized, Glinda?”

            “I was baptized a year ago.”

            “God can use me and my baby. I want to live my life for Him.”

            “Shall we pray?” Wendy asked.

            We all grabbed hands and bowed our heads.

            “Lord,” Wendy prayed,” I thank You for Glinda and Ginger. I thank You for helping Ginger make the decision to live her life for You. I pray that You will work though her and her baby, helping them to do Your work. Amen.”

            “Amen,” Ginger and I repeated.

            “Welcome to the family, Ginger,” Wendy said. “I look forward to seeing you baptized.”

            “Thanks, Wendy. I can’t wait.”

 

Chapter 13

 

            As I watched Ginger being immersed in the tub of water located at the front of the church, my heart was filled with more love than I had ever felt before towards her. For years, I had hated my cousin for all the bad decisions she made. Now, she was actually making some good ones.

            As Ginger came back up, the entire church stood and applauded. Even though that is tradition for a baptism, I know that everyone in the church is legitimately excited when a person decides to give their life to Christ.

            “I have never felt happier,” Ginger said as we were eating lunch.

            “I felt the same way when I was baptized,” I said.

            “As you go through life,” my dad said, “you will find that you will constantly evaluating your decisions, wishing you had did something different. You will never regret giving your life to Christ.”

            “And along those lines,” Ginger said seriously, “there is something I would like to ask you.”

            “Go right ahead, Ginger.”

            “Well, I know that when my mom sent me here, it was supposed to only be until the baby was born, that way I wouldn’t harm the child with my bad decisions. The thing is, I am worried about going back to my old sinful self when I go back home. I don’t have any Christians in my life at home. I don’t want to go back to my old life. I don’t want my child growing up in that kind of environment because then my child will end up just like me when he or she is a teenager.

            “What I am trying to say is, I would like to stay here after the baby is born. I feel God has laid this on my heart. Living here will be good for me and the baby.”

            “I see nothing wrong with that,” my mom said. “You make some valid points.”

            “I am ok with it too,” I said, even though I wasn’t sure whether my opinion counted.

            “I am ok with this,” my dad said, “but only if it is all right with your mother.”

            “I am sure it will be all right with her. Part of the reason why she sent me here was because she was ashamed to have a pregnant teenage daughter. She is still going to be ashamed of me when the baby is born.”

            “Welcome to the family, Ginger,” my dad said.

            We all engulfed Ginger in a tight hug.

 

Epilogue

 

            If you had asked me before Ginger came to stay with my family if I would want her to stay permanently, I would have thought you were joking. Ever since Ginger moved in, I have been able to see God work through her. And together, both of us have grown in our relationship with God.

            And even though Renee Glinda is only a month old, Ginger is already reading a children’s Bible to her and praying out loud with her. I know God will do amazing things through the two of them.

           

            

© 2013 Kimberly Adams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on October 18, 2013
Last Updated on October 18, 2013
Tags: Ginger, pregnant, God

Author

Kimberly Adams
Kimberly Adams

About
My favorite thing to do is write. After I surrendered my life to Christ and became a Christian, I decided that I would write for God. I usually focus on depression in my writing as well because it is .. more..

Writing
Sheltered Sheltered

A Chapter by Kimberly Adams