Judgemental Assumptions

Judgemental Assumptions

A Story by Jessica Lynn Perkins
"

Written May 10, 2007

"
Judgmental Assumptions
Sometimes when you look at someone, your first impression can be so off that you judge someone solely on that impression and you miss out on meeting a really great person. When you look at why this is, you can tell in an instant that it is a society based misconception.
When you see a rugged looking fellow outside of a grocery store with a cup, most Americans today would assume that A, he's homeless and B, the cup is for begging for money. However, this can be one of our largest misconceptions ever. First of all when you look at his exterior, society has us programmed to believe that only the homeless "look" homeless. When in reality the girl with the tightly up done hair, and designer shoes and handbag can just as easily be homeless.
Society would not have us to believe that this is true, however that man sitting outside the store, can be a rich man, with poor dressing skills and that cup, may be full of coffee…. Basically what I am trying to say is look deeper than the post exterior before judging someone.
The way that you view others often shows clear in your personality. Are you a judgmental person? Do you feel that you are "better" then others? If you do, chances are most people realize this about you. It is not a very attractive trait to be known for.
Another great example of this, is amongst teenage and young adult women. Facial expressions can make you approachable and they can also make people feel very distant from you. When you put females into a room together, they will look at each other, and usually assume with in 5 minutes or less that one of them doesn't like them. However, this is also one of our most common misconceptions. Maybe that girl who just gave you that evil stare doesn't like you, or maybe she's been having a really bad day, and wasn't even paying attention to what she was looking at, and you just happened to be sitting in the direction she was facing……
Think before you judge someone.

© 2014 Jessica Lynn Perkins


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
Added on January 13, 2014
Last Updated on January 13, 2014
Tags: judging, assuming

Author

Jessica Lynn Perkins
Jessica Lynn Perkins

Traverse City, MI



About
I'm a 31 year old Married Artist & Writer, I've been writing since I was 11 and in art for roughly 25 years now more..

Writing