A Bird's Wing

A Bird's Wing

A Story by Scarlett
"

I woke up in cold sweat, with a headache, and in the wrong side of the wrong bed.

"

Prologue



I began walking toward the beach on a cloudy Wednesday night. It wasn't busy here in town, so I walked on my own as most people slept. You could see a few stands here and there, but they were closed by now. The chilly weather made it all a better scene and it was nature’s way of saying hello to winter, every year.


I stood staring at the ocean view as the sun set, and the clouds moved with the wind. I wished I had taken a camera with me, but I never did have one in hand when I most needed it.


When the sun was completely gone, disappeared from the horizon, I got closer to the freezing water. The waves came closer to shore, as they did every night.


Everything was in place as usual, except there was a feeling at the end of my stomach that, that night would be different from what I was used to.


Somehow, I remembered to take a blanket with me, which would really come in handy later on. I sat down on it after I set it just perfectly on the light brown sand. I felt as the ocean embraced my toes, anyone else wouldn't have sat down so close to it, but I was different.


It relaxed me to be alone, to feel as if I was one with nature. I suppose you could say I wasn’t very smart, as I got sick a lot because of my silly ideas.

 

After a few minutes, my feet felt numb, and the water rose a bit more. Now, it could cover all the way up to my legs.

I stood up, and then went for my blanket. Just a minute earlier had I left it in another place, just so it wouldn’t get wet.



Half way through the beach, I looked back one more time, as if saying good-bye to the place for the time being.

In the distance, the moon reflected the sun’s light. It felt brighter than other times at midnight. I shivered, I knew I had to leave.


Something was holding me back from taking off. As my eyes searched around, I spotted a dark figure squirming.


Since I saw it in the ocean, I thought (at first) nearly nothing of it, waving it off as an animal. However, just before turning around, I saw ‘’it’’ trying to stay out of the water, and then slowly fading.

I don’t know how I knew back then that it was a human drowning, and not just an aquatic creature. But, we’re both lucky that I noticed.


I ran in the direction of where I thought I had seen the person, throwing the towel to the side as it were a monster. Yeah, I was nervous. I threw myself (sadly, without thinking twice) into the ice-cold water.



 

I felt nothing.

© 2013 Scarlett


Author's Note

Scarlett
Please let me know what you think of it, I'll appreciate it if you give me feedback. Thank you for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on October 7, 2013
Last Updated on October 7, 2013
Tags: Fiction, party, girl, ocean, romance, trouble, wow

Author

Scarlett
Scarlett

CA



About
I like reading, writing, drawing and music. I like writing about anything that comes to mind, and it goes through short stories, poems, and I'd like to write a novel. more..